As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] you, George Lucas!

• DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    A community of psychopaths would be interesting.

Also impossible, and it'd break down immediately. Still interesting. They've just got defects in their human herd traits.

Daxon on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Razors pain you;
    Rivers are damp;
    Acids stain you;
    And drugs cause cramp.
    Guns aren't lawful;
    Nooses give;
    Gas smells awful;
    You might as well live.

It's such a hassle to get a gun, too.

My plan would be to alienate everyone I knew and make them at least indifferent to me and then I would announce that I was moving across the country, and then I would pay someone to kill me and ensure no one found the body.

That is the most selfless suicide that isn't reliant on your own will. But it's a lot of hard work!

I've thought a lot about how to commit suicide without hurting people

it's hard

and it kinda cheers me up, too

going through a list of all the people who would be sad if I was gone, or distraught if they learned that I killed myself, too

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am skeptical of the idea that suicide is generally a response to a short term problem

Elendil on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Razors pain you;
    Rivers are damp;
    Acids stain you;
    And drugs cause cramp.
    Guns aren't lawful;
    Nooses give;
    Gas smells awful;
    You might as well live.

It's such a hassle to get a gun, too.

My plan would be to alienate everyone I knew and make them at least indifferent to me and then I would announce that I was moving across the country, and then I would pay someone to kill me and ensure no one found the body.

That is the most selfless suicide that isn't reliant on your own will. But it's a lot of hard work!

The problem is, as soon as you went missing people would care again... and then there'd be no closure because they wouldn't even know why you were missing.

That would be worse.

Nobody would know you were missing though because they would no longer be talking to you due to the alienation and they would assume you resumed your life on the other side of the country.

Sarksus on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Re: Suicide, this is the best article I've ever read on the subject. Quoting the relevant bits:
    Self-euthanasia is major trend in the making. Each year in the United States, some 26,000 men die by their own hand, including some smarter, braver men than you and me. Hunter S. Thompson. Kurt Cobain. Spalding Gray. David Foster Wallace. These were men of infinite accomplishment, finances, and talent, and we will miss them. But if you're going to check out, you must first promise to take on a more difficult task. You'll have to wait 7 days, and in that last week of your life, you'll have to perform what I glibly refer to as the Three C's. Don't worry, the time will fly by. Like the final week at a job you hate, every moment will be gilded with nostalgia and sweetened with the knowledge that you're a dead man walking. The Ultimate Temp. The game's almost over, and you're just running out the clock.

The first C stands for Clean. Clean your bathroom. Clean your car. Do the laundry and scrub the grout. Pull out the refrigerator and wipe behind it. Wash the windows. Do everything. The second C stands for Cull. Ransack your files and discard everything except your most important papers. The same goes for your closets and memorabilia -- really, all your possessions. If you haven't looked at it recently, toss it. Donate it. Destroy it. Throw all your history and secrets into the garbage. Do the same with the aged contents of your medicine cabinet and kitchen. Also, spring for a really good haircut. Despite popular superstition, human hair does not grow beyond death, so you might as well look good. Treat yourself. Pamper, pamper, pamper; you have my permission.

Any man will tell you that it's not the big disasters that finish you. No, given an invasion by hostile space aliens or an attack of flesh-eating zombies, most guys will grab their coats and hats and run out to join the fray. Even a run-of-the-mill earthquake or forest fire constitutes a nice change of pace. Instead, what grinds us down are the parking tickets. The spoiled food in the back of the fridge. The dirty clothes at the bottom of the hamper that haven't seen daylight since 1995. Once you allow a critical mass of these petty annoyances to collect, you're sunk.

Regarding Culling, my point is: If you can shave, you can live.

The third C stands for Connect. This means contacting everyone you've known and saying something nice. No matter how much you hate them, let go of that bitterness. Identify some aspect of each person, something you've secretly admired or envied or coveted, and praise that something. Say how jealous you were of his career or happy marriage or a particular merino wool mock-turtleneck sweater.

Yes, this process feels like a huge humiliation, but what do you have to lose? Forget your self-pity. Forget your anger and defensiveness. Forgive everybody and forgive yourself. In another week they'll be gazing down into your casket, feeling just awful. So for now, throw them a bone. Give them a break.

Beyond that, fully imagine your death: the cozy warmth, the pleasant wooziness. The sound of your favorite film or music playing in the background. Envision your sparkling bathroom and empty filing cabinets. Then imagine the world without you. The same traffic jams and famines. The same political crap fights and your team never making the playoffs. People will forget you. Everyone will forget you. You're no Kurt Cobain, so just light your barbecue and toast a marshmallow. . . .

But if you've completed the Three C's, chances are good that you won't bother. Because by then you'll be surrounded by friends who now recognize you as a valuable, sensitive guy. Your oven will be clean, your car vacuumed. In the same way you procrastinated on your taxes, you can procrastinate on your death. And, at least for the moment, your hair looks . . . really great.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Nocturne wrote: »
    I always have the urge to punch anyone who describes suicide as cowardly, selfish, for pussies, etc.

The best way I've heard it described as a long term solution to a short term problem. And that sounds really callous but for most people its the truth, their desire to kill themselves is sparked by a recent situation or problem they feel is worse then it actually is or will have longer term effects then it really will.

I say this as someone who had to call a suicide hotline.

Oh yeah, that's a perfectly fine way of describing it.

It's just that the people who describe it as cowardly or selfish have absolutely no idea of context. I mean to the point that I assume the very concept of context does not exist in their mind for them to call it that.

I've done it before, but that was out of anger at losing someone to suicide. You do stupid things when you're angry, say some hurtful things, though its not like he heard any of them.

Maybe I am angry, I dunno... I just have no sympathy.

A friend just killed himself with pills and Jameson two weeks ago... just completely out of the blue.

Fuck.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Daxon wrote: »

Ever do theater in high school?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    it is not a hassle, sarksus

unless you live in the people's state of newyorkifornia, you liberal fag

Organichu on
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Also impossible, and it'd break down immediately. Still interesting. They've just got defects in their human herd traits.

You should read This Alien Shore. There's an entire planet where the population is insane. It happened gradually enough that a rigid societal structure developed which places people in their best roles for their particular kind of disorder, among other things.

Passerbye on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Raiden, that was awesome.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Feral wrote: »

It's called the Drama club for a reason.

Thomamelas on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That was nice, Raiden.

Sarksus on
  • FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    Fartacus wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    i like fartacus because he likes black chicks with big asses, and movado watches

i feel like he and i can relate, except for the rape thing

Goddamn I do.

I feel pretty much OK about thinking Nicki Minaj is really goddamn fine ever since hearing her completely kill it on that Kanye single.

I mean dat ass

even before Monster dropped she had a nice flow... but christ is she filthy.

i generally smile when i hear a woman confident enough to sex it up in the lyrics of a song, like rude boy, but nicki is p. much... vulgar. it's hilarious.

i mean, it's something so funny when it get soft
    i like to play with it, squeeze it like a stress ball

yeah, it's pretty great.

basically I hope when her album comes out it really cements her position a the black Lady Gaga

Fartacus on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

A friend just killed himself with pills and Jameson two weeks ago... just completely out of the blue.

Fuck.

It hurts, because as a friend you think "Well fuck I was there why didn't you call me you son of a bitch!" And then you turn it on yourself as you wonder what you could have done differently or what sign you missed. And then the anger just lingers longer then the remorse. I'd like to tell you it gets better, but honestly it never does, part of the reason I attack exercise with such fury is to work out the hate.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The thought occurs that one of the problems with modern society is that many of its members prefer to act based on their emotions rather than rational thought, even to the point of acting hostile to somebody attempting to explain why their emotions are wrong. This is in conjunction with other people quite aware of this fact and use it to get what they want.

This leaves us with a quandry: Do we try to appeal to rational thought to promote proper debate, or make appeals to their emotions to steer them in the right direction?

RMS Oceanic on
    edited September 2010
    now, I will say, that if you commit suicide in an especially inconsiderate manner that you are well, an inconsiderate asshole

like this case I was told about back in driver's ed about a head-on collision beetween a regular car and a trailer

there were no brake trails at all from the car, and the driver had been a girl with problems

but man

that is a supremely shitty thing to do

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited September 2010
    Passerbye wrote: »

You should read This Alien Shore. There's an entire planet where the population is insane. It happened gradually enough that a rigid societal structure developed which places people in their best roles for their particular kind of disorder, among other things.

You know, I've had that book for years and I've never actually read it.

I don't technically own it. I borrowed it from somebody and he never wanted it back and I stopped asking him if he wanted it back and we don't talk much anymore and I guess it's mine now.

Feral on

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    there's euthanasia, where people who are going to die no longer

then there's suicide, which is often caused by a chemical imbalance or a cocktail of drugs or a lack of perspective causing you to (often) incorrectly assume that your life is not worth living at this moment, so it will never be worth living.

the 15 year old that killed himself because he was bullied for being gay didn't have all the facts and was so unhappy he probably felt he would never be happy again.

suicide, in my experience, is rarely done with any amount of rationality in mind.

Casual Eddy on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Fartacus wrote: »
    Yes, because there's no way it could be asked in good faith, because it's insanely implausible and there's no empirical evidence that would contradict that conceptual unlikelihood.

It's like saying that someone asking about intelligent design is considered creationist because there's an implicit assumption of bad faith on the part of the asker. Well, yeah. It's pretty clearly indicative of ignorance, deeply-ingrained bias, or an attempt to proselytize.

i think that tons of people wonder about and ask about intelligent design in good faith.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Fuck.

It hurts, because as a friend you think "Well fuck I was there why didn't you call me you son of a bitch!" And then you turn it on yourself as you wonder what you could have done differently or what sign you missed. And then the anger just lingers longer then the remorse. I'd like to tell you it gets better, but honestly it never does, part of the reason I attack exercise with such fury is to work out the hate.

It can, but you have to find your own peace with it.

Thomamelas on
    edited September 2010
    Raiden that's great

I've thought before that if I ever decided fuck it, my life's over, I'm ending it. Like truly convinced of that,

then life would be awesome

I could do anything I always wanted to do! I could do anything! What the fuck do I care? I'm going to kill myself anyway!

I just want to steal a fighter jet first.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

You know, I've had that book for years and I've never actually read it.

I don't technically own it. I borrowed it from somebody and he never wanted it back and I stopped asking him if he wanted it back and we don't talk much anymore and I guess it's mine now.

One of my tattoos is partly based on that book so... yeah. I'm gonna say read it. :)

Passerbye on
    edited September 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    now, I will say, that if you commit suicide in an especially inconsiderate manner that you are well, an inconsiderate asshole

like this case I was told about back in driver's ed about a head-on collision beetween a regular car and a trailer

there were no brake trails at all from the car, and the driver had been a girl with problems

but man

A co-worker of mine told me about what a friend of hers did about 5 years ago, the cruelest form of suicide I've ever heard of. I can't even imagine what drove him to do it.

Her friend went to his mother's house, knocked on the door, and as soon as she opened it he shot himself in the head in front of her.

Then he lived for another 6 months because his aim was off, causing even more grief.

I can't even comprehend what would spark something like that.

Raiden333 on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

then there's suicide, which is often caused by a chemical imbalance or a cocktail of drugs or a lack of perspective causing you to (often) incorrectly assume that your life is not worth living at this moment, so it will never be worth living.

the 15 year old that killed himself because he was bullied for being gay didn't have all the facts and was so unhappy he probably felt he would never be happy again.

suicide, in my experience, is rarely done with any amount of rationality in mind.

Euthanasia is what you do when you're either on so much morphine you can't appreciate life anyway, and when you're not on it life is one constant physical pain.

Also that story with the guy split in half by the tree. You shoot him in the head. Unless we can keep heads alive in jars.

electricitylikesme on
    edited September 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Fuck.

Guess I haven't gotten there yet, try not to think about it honestly. It's a sore subject like voting for John Kerry or jerking off to grace jones.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    mmmm today is a fun day!

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited September 2010

I don't know if psychopath would be the right word

Casual Eddy on
    edited September 2010

death really has no real downsides, though

I mean, oh no, I am missing out on the great moments I was surely going to have!

eh, in a few moments I'll be beyond caring

but that kinda also means living has few downsides either

it's not like I'm going to miss my chance to die

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Fuck.

Seriously, I just can't get beyond the "what the fuck?" part.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    what exactly is reddit

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    how did that happen

Fartacus on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    People who commit suicide to avoid prosecution for crimes are cowards

Ludious on
    edited September 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Fuck.

Guess I haven't gotten there yet, try not to think about it honestly. It's a sore subject like voting for John Kerry or jerking off to grace jones.

I had to spend a long time thinking about it. Took a long time to get it into focus. It's not one of those things that heal by ignoring it.

Thomamelas on
    edited September 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »

but man

A co-worker of mine told me about what a friend of hers did about 5 years ago, the cruelest form of suicide I've ever heard of. I can't even imagine what drove him to do it.

Her friend went to his mother's house, knocked on the door, and as soon as she opened it he shot himself in the head in front of her.

Then he lived for another 6 months because his aim was off, causing even more grief.

I can't even comprehend what would spark something like that.

what

the

fucking

hell

okay, something is certainly really wrong there but still it makes you want to slap them and say "what the hell, man"

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited September 2010

Euthanasia is what you do when you're either on so much morphine you can't appreciate life anyway, and when you're not on it life is one constant physical pain.

Also that story with the guy split in half by the tree. You shoot him in the head. Unless we can keep heads alive in jars.

I'm not sure why I didn't finish my sentence on euthanasia. I meant quality of life is so bad and has no chance of improvement that it's acceptable (to me) to do

whereas suicide can seem like a good idea after enough drugs or enough depression. causes the doer to assume things will never get better

Casual Eddy on
    edited September 2010

Fuck.

Seriously, I just can't get beyond the "what the fuck?" part.

If you need someone to talk to chanus, I'm sure someone stable will offer some kind of support.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2010
    Suicide is definitely not the product of a rational mind.

I remember when I was seriously suicidal being held off from it not by the thought of the pain I'd cause my family and friends, but my dog. I told myself "Well, I can explain myself in a note, my family and friends will eventually understand why I wanted to die, but my dog will just have no idea what happened, I can't do that to her."

I only realized when I was sane again exactly how crazy that was.

Raiden333 on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Ooh, sounds interesting. Bookmark'd it for future readings!

No, but I can see how they'd be fucked up people there.

A potassium overdose is probably the least messy way of killing yourself and I'm fairly sure potassium isn't all too hard to come by either.

I love how in the hospital I'm in I'm given an extraordinary amount of trust. I can go to any of the wards, speak to any of the patients (assuming I just make sure with one of the junior doctors/nurses that they're not in too terrible a condition to want to speak to anyone), and I'm allowed to observe pretty much any procedure in the hospital.

Saw a couple of bronchoscopies on Monday, and a CT scan today. Also there are drugs absolutely everywhere that could super easily be nicked - not that I would, that'd be bad.

Daxon on
    edited September 2010
    I struggle with depression fairly regularly. The suicidal thoughts used to be fairly regular as well. I think part of why I never actually went through with it (speaking as someone who's been in a knife in-hand, tarp laid out, note written kind of situation) is because suicide is not rational and I think too much to do anything I'm not 100% convinced of, I think too much to take that final step over the ledge.

Passerbye on
    edited September 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    what exactly is reddit

Amateurhours favorite porn site.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.