As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MMA X: Captain Guillotine: Fear the man who has practiced one choke 10,000 times

• adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Update: Miguel Torres lies!

Or I'm not as proficient as blowing as he is.

adytum on
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    correct

also, i cribbed the 'location' from the PA comic where gabe makes alterations to his wiki-page

Just so everyone knows what Organichu is talking about:
    217528451_b3haA-L-2.jpg

Thanks. I wonder what people outside this thread think about that sig/avatar combo.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
    edited September 2010
    They feel bad for Jared.

adytum on
  • Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    They feel bad for Jared.

Or they are very confused. Either way it's all good. I'm not active in to many other threads anyway.

I can't wait to see Zombie fight again. I can't imagine he will have a fight to rival the last one but I love fighters that actually fight and he certainly seems to enjoy fighting.

It looks like an excellent WEC on Thursday

Edit: Watching Dream 16 again, I think every winning fighter should be given a trophy when they win a fight. That's pretty awesome.

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

You're taking cooking advice from a guy who downed a spoonful of cinnamon before fighting.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    B:L wrote: »

You're taking cooking advice from a guy who downed a spoonful of cinnamon before fighting.
    Technically, I think this is eating advice.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    edited September 2010

Don't give me ideas.

adytum on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    maybe you need to crack more of the egg

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited September 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    The solutions are mostly the same.

Use a slightly older egg, use some vinegar/salt in the water, toss the egg in ice cold water after cooking.

Unless you get advice from Brock Lesnar. I bet he swallows eggs whole, shell and all.
    0.jpg

edited September 2010
    well you could always try to suck instead of blow........
    saves you the extra step of putting it in your mouf?

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Use a slightly older egg, use some vinegar/salt in the water, toss the egg in ice cold water after cooking.

Unless you get advice from Brock Lesnar. I bet he swallows eggs whole, shell and all.
    0.jpg

He's especially good at expectorating!

http://www.bullshido.net/images/lesnar-spit.gif

BubbaT on
    edited September 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »

0.jpg

He's especially good at eggspectorating!

http://www.bullshido.net/images/lesnar-spit.gif

fix'd

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yo ho ho, here's a video of the Hellboy Hansen's striking coach Mohsen Bahari fighting an MMA match in England.

I trained Muay Thai for a few months, and it was under this guy.

Look out for bitching knees at around the 12:30 mark.

http://vimeo.com/15295939

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just a reminder to all MMA fans, in case the thread title is not enough:

WEC IS TOMORROW

and it is a god damn amazing card

watch it

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This is mostly for those who are unfamiliar with WEC, or MMA in general. There's pictures and everything!
    Main card:

Leonard Garcia vs. Mark Hominick
    Leonard Garcia (last seen in fight of the year candidate against Chan Sung Jung) is a brawler and loves to trade with his opponent. He is durable as hell, and also got great submissions to pull out of his ass at any given moment. His opponent is Mark Hominick, who is a real finisher. With 9 knockouts and 3 submissions on his record, he always strives to end whoever he is facing. This matchup could be a real fun fight.

Chan Sung Jung vs. George Roop
    Chan Sung Jung, otherwise known as the "Korean Zombie", got his nickname because he never stops coming forward, and has proven that he's got the chin to take almost any shot and still keep going after his opponent. Incredibly entertaining fighter, and he has finally started getting the attention he deserves in the west. George Roop was a former TUF contestant and was last seen having a great fight against Leonard Garcia. This is another potentially awesome fight.

Miguel Torres vs. Charlie Valencia
    Miguel Torres was once regarded as the very best bantamweight in all of MMA. He had a remarkable record of 37-1 (mostly finishes, too!) before he was dethroned from the top and losing two in a row. Now he's back and looking to redeem himself, so watch out for fireworks. Miguel is facing Charlie Valencia, who is on a 4 fight winning streak and looking to make a name for himself by taking out a big profile name in Miguel. This, yet again, has the potential to be awesome.

Jamie Varner vs. Donald Cerrone
    These guys have fought eachother before, and do not have much love for eachother. Their last encounter resulted in Fight of the Night honors, too!. Do I have to say it? Yes; This has the potential to be an awesome fight.

Championship bout: Jose Aldo vs. Manvel Gamburyan
    Jose Aldo skyrocketed to the world stage of MMA after impressively dispatching all opponents in his path. The man is currently on a 10 fight winning streak and is probably one of the most exciting fighters in MMA today. In his last fight he comfortably dominated top opponent Urijah Faber, who used to be king of the division. Aldo is fighting Manvel Gamburyan, who recently knocked out a former champion in Mike Brown and is currently on a 3 fight winning streak. Manvel, who used to fight at lightweight, seems to have found his home in the featherweight division and is looking more comfortable than ever before.

Pretty much every fight on the main card is a potentially awesome fight.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited September 2010
    In all likelihood I won't be home until 10:30 or so tomorrow night, but I'll be DVR'ing what I miss and I will be watching what I can live.

adytum on
    edited September 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »
    I'm more excited for a certain awesome fighter on the card.

In other news, I tried out the EA MMA demo on the 360. It's so much better than those terrible THQ UFC games that it's incredible.

Presentation wise, it doesn't have UFC's menu problems. I can quickly jump into a match. The graphics are absolutely realistic. Muscles actually flex, instead of those terrible THQ UFC games where muscles are just stretchy polygons.

The gameplay is completely streamlined compared to those terrible THQ UFC games, and has so much more depth. You can choose to either use total punch control, or classic mode with punches and kicks mapped to buttons. Striking is solid, even jabs and straights have impact and can stuff an opponent's attack. The slipping system is way better, you hold block and the L stick in different directions, and your fighter will slip that way when an attack comes. With good reactions, you can slip the ole' 1-2 combination and return with a strong counter. But be ready to sprawl against takedowns.
    The ground game actually plays out like a tactical game of chess. Blocking allows you to defend against strikes, but opens you up to a submission attempt. Defending against transitions opens you up to strikes. Transition reversals are very strictly timing based, no mashing easy reversals like in those terrible THQ UFC games. And all this is controlled with the L and R sticks.
    The submission system is actually workable, unlike those terrible THQ UFC games where subs are completely useless. Subs work the stamina bar, if you have low stamina (from over-striking, taking body blows, or overusing transitions), you are getting subbed. The submissions attempts are mini-games. For chokes, a circle appears with a colored marker, and you use the L stick to follow that marker as it moves and changes direction around the circle to break or clinch the hold. For joint locks, it's about stamina management as you can press a button to attack/defend, but with a stamina cost per press, so you need to keep an eye out on your joints (an x-ray vision appears with your bones as they turn redder the closer you are to submitting) and your stamina bar as you time your pressing.

The demo only has Overeem/Lashley and Mayhem/Shields available, and you can tell it's not fully complete yet since the AI is simple. I can already imagine this game played at the highest level, and it will be the best MMA game out there. I would say it's more of a sim than those terrible THQ UFC games because grappling battles are very exhaustive as you battle against the clock, yet it retains that arcade pace and style of fun. Give the demo a try (at least, to unlock "Classic" Couture) and see for yourself why this is a Day 1 purchase.

• ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    B:L is EA cutting you a check or something? Jesus.

Either that or THQ ran over your dog.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Reznik wrote: »
    B:L is EA cutting you a check or something? Jesus.

Either that or THQ ran over your dog.

I dunno that description minus the shots at thq intrigued me.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »

I have to say, I was laughing as you finished every paragraph with the same thought.

But yeah, this is definitely my most anticipated card of 2010.

BubbaT on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's definitely a different enough take that I'll be checking out the demo. I do think certain people are too hard on THQ's game but we'll see.

B:L, enthusiasm aside is it fair to say that EA's is the arcade version and THQ's is more simmy?

Peen on
    edited September 2010
    Peen wrote: »
    It's definitely a different enough take that I'll be checking out the demo. I do think certain people are too hard on THQ's game but we'll see.

B:L, enthusiasm aside is it fair to say that EA's is the arcade version and THQ's is more simmy?
    I would say that EA MMA's standup is more arcade than THQ (except for THQ's flash KOs everywhere all the time), while the ground game is more simulation. The health and stamina bars rise and fall in a more arcade-like fashion than THQ's stamina meter and their slow burn.

Overall I would say EA MMA is the more accurate MMA game. With Overeem, you can get quick KOs from a strong counter, or rock them if you land a combo. In the THQ game you can spam high kicks and you just wait for the flash KO, whereas in EA MMA it's about landing the big single hit or getting a finishing combo in.

On the ground, THQ was about spamming reversals, and subs were useless except as a get out free card if you're on the bottom guard. In EA MMA, subs are absolutely dangerous and threatening because it actually plays off your stamina bar. I prefer the strategic nature of it over the arcadey button mashing of THQ.

And just like MMA, takedowns are an absolutely nightmare until you learn how to time your sprawls. A proper timed sprawl can put you in position for a D'arce choke or a strong knee that can stop your opponent from spamming takedowns.
    Against a competent ground grinder, you may be spending a lot of time on your back looking at the clock, and that's very simulation-like.

• JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    EA MMA sounds like they took a lot of the physics from Fight Night Round 4 and added kicks + wrestling.

JustinSane07 on
    edited September 2010
    I'm actually really looking forward to just using the fighters in the Demo. The fact that I can fight as Overeem and Mayhem is great, as I like both fighters.

I have to admit I some what enjoyed the THQ game but that was mostly because I like MMA and this was the only game available. The Carrer mode in 2009 was awful, incredibly awful that might as well been 3 minutes of play time and 20 minutes of spreadsheet calculations.

I stayed away from 2010 because I wanted to see how EA's MMA was even though I despise EA (and what they did to the NFL 2k games, how they fucked up NBA Live, how they charged for cheat codes etc etc etc) but that doesn't mean I won't play a well made game.

I really hope this is a great MMA game with a good create a fighter/carrer mode. Having good games available is always a good thing.

Metal Jared on
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm actually really looking forward to just using the fighters in the Demo. The fact that I can fight as Overeem and Mayhem is great, as I like both fighters.

I have to admit I some what enjoyed the THQ game but that was mostly because I like MMA and this was the only game available. The Carrer mode in 2009 was awful, incredibly awful that might as well been 3 minutes of play time and 20 minutes of spreadsheet calculations.

I stayed away from 2010 because I wanted to see how EA's MMA was even though I despise EA (and what they did to the NFL 2k games, how they fucked up NBA Live, how they charged for cheat codes etc etc etc) but that doesn't mean I won't play a well made game.

I really hope this is a great MMA game with a good create a fighter/carrer mode. Having good games available is always a good thing.

The career mode got a lot better in UFC 2010 though it was still pretty clunky and the stat decay was just brutal. The post-fight interviews were neat until you realize they're all the exact same questions and responses over and over again. I like that they tried to make it have more of a storyline similar to the wrestling games but they didn't push it far enough.

I hope the EA game has a good career mode because that's basically all I play these games for (and why I haven't done more than rent one yet)

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
    edited September 2010
    Reznik wrote: »

The career mode got a lot better in UFC 2010 though it was still pretty clunky and the stat decay was just brutal. The post-fight interviews were neat until you realize they're all the exact same questions and responses over and over again. I like that they tried to make it have more of a storyline similar to the wrestling games but they didn't push it far enough.

I hope the EA game has a good career mode because that's basically all I play these games for (and why I haven't done more than rent one yet)

Yeah my experience with games like this is always just to play career mode and then play around with the pro fighters. Like in 2009 I just used Cro Cop to Left Leg Cemetery opponents on easy and doing my best to re-create this:
    bisping-redcoat.jpg

And this:
    rampage-wanderlei_25361.jpg

Over and over and over and over again.
    I swear someday I will get Rampage to glitch right through the cage.

Metal Jared on
    edited September 2010
    And this:

...now I'm going to have to see if I can do that in the demo's Pride ring.

Also, Mayhem apparently kicks the shit out of Shields if he can stomp his face in. Go figure.

The career mode should be exciting, but I'm hype for the online aspect of it. Earning belts online, having your fights announced live, tournaments, the works.

I'll create an unstoppable Kimbo Slice.

edited September 2010
    And this:

...now I'm going to have to see if I can do that in the demo's Pride ring.

Also, Mayhem apparently kicks the shit out of Shields if he can stomp his face in. Go figure.

The career mode should be exciting, but I'm hype for the online aspect of it. Earning belts online, having your fights announced live, tournaments, the works.

I'll create an unstoppable Kimbo Slice.

If you can knock someone out of the ring in EA MMA that would be outstanding.

Metal Jared on
    edited September 2010
    only machida is capable of that with his unlockable dragon punch

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • BarbatusBarbatus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Are the animations as bad\comical as it looks on youtube, or does it seem better when you are actually playing? I thought it looked absolutely horrible when they first released gameplay videos, but I'm getting more and more excited about soccer kicks and pride rules and playing as all the non-ufc fighters. The career mode looks like an improvement over the ufc games too.

Barbatus on
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Just turn on Shine Fights mode and it'll be easy!

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    In actual fight news, Strikeforce set up Daley vs. Smith on Dec. 4th, which is awesome.

Peen on
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wow, they're not even releasing that terrible EA MMA demo in Denmark. That's terrible. Also, terrible.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
    edited September 2010
    facetious wrote: »

Just turn on Shine Fights mode and it'll be easy!
    Hilariously, one of the in-game tips starts off with "You don't need to make your controller shinier!" :lol:

As for the animations, I didn't notice anything as bad as that terrible THQ UFC game.
    By the nature of how active this sport is standing and on the ground, the first outings will usually have less than optimal animations. The difference is that EA's Fight Night went from herky jerky to one of the most fluid boxing games out there, while THQ's Smackdown remained pretty much the same.
    There's canned animations for sure, especially during transitions, but it doesn't take away from the realism for me.

David, Denmark BANNED EA MMA.

edited September 2010
    Is it because of a conspiracy involving the Danish government, THQ executives, and Dana White?

adytum on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Daley should run through Smith

Unless Smith pulls a Smith and somehow wins after getting beat the hell up

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
    edited September 2010
    So how is the hit detection physics in the EA demo? That's a glaring difference between Fight Night, which use something resembling actual physics, and the THQ UFC games, which seem to use connect/block/miss hit boxes.

BubbaT on
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    David, Denmark BANNED EA MMA.

No they didn't ban that terrible EA MMA, they banned product placement of terrible energy drinks in terrible games and that terrible EA didn't feel like changing it. I'm just surprised (terribly surprised) that even the terrible demo can't be downloaded here.

Guess I'll have to figure out what my terrible US PSN account was.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
    edited September 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    So how is the hit detection physics in the EA demo? That's a glaring difference between Fight Night, which use something resembling actual physics, and the THQ UFC games, which seem to use connect/block/miss hit boxes.
    It seems to use physics. Your fighter knows to close the range before throwing a strike, though, so it's harder to whiff against someone unless they're slipping strikes or actively moving away. I've seen strikes slip past blocks but no idea how it's counted in the engine.
    There are a few visual quirks to the engine though. For example, if you throw a right high kick while your opponent throws a jab, both of you will appear to do no damage because of the collision. Same with leg kicks as your opponent is getting up off the ground.

The most hilarious animation that I've found is knocking someone flat on their belly, then tripping over them as you rush in for ground and pound. :lol:

Edit: The terrible effect of banning terrible energy drinks is the same sort of terrible as terribly banning a game. Terrible Denmark is terrible.

edited September 2010
    Banning the picture of a Red Bull in a video game is probably the stupidest video game restriction I've ever heard of. Congrats Denmark, you beat Australia

... uh, terribly.

BubbaT on