As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Etrian Odyssey 3 - Now includes ships, robots and old people

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The differences of EO1 going to EO2 is like Mega Man going to Mega Man 2. And then EO2 going to EO3 is like Mega Man 2 going to Mega Man X. Can you dig it? Or should I start talking about cars?

Henroid on
  • JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    The differences of EO1 going to EO2 is like Mega Man going to Mega Man 2. And then EO2 going to EO3 is like Mega Man 2 going to Mega Man X. Can you dig it? Or should I start talking about cars?

I can dig it, I can dig it!

---

I really want to go through the moon door on B10F, but I will surely get thunderously grudgefucked. I don't think I'll be able to stop myself!

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That room can be a pain in the ass if you don't have your defenses right.

Also, head sealing is VERY EFFECTIVE! *wink, wink.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I passed that room on my first try, I felt great.

Henroid on
    edited September 2010
    That room can be a pain in the ass if you don't have your defenses right.

Also, head sealing is VERY EFFECTIVE! *wink, wink.

Oho, you probably think I'm going there for the first time, don't you? This'll be a... return trip.
    It actually didn't let me fight him. He just muttered something about the course being set and the narration told me I had to walk away. What a boner-kill.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    Second and third stratums were weird for me.

Beat the Bosses on the first try and also got both red FOEs down, but had a hell of a time beating the common foes on both. Especially the two on the third. I'm on floor 14 now and fuck if I can't always beat them if we run into each other.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • relasinerelasine Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Are there any good EO3 Websites with decent guides out there? I'm trying to find guides/advice, but it's mostly been buried in forum threads, which can get laborious to sift through.

relasine on
    edited September 2010
    This is why the new OP exists?

Henroid on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, maybe I misunderstood. Are none of the EQ2 classes in the game?

Pretty awesome that you can play as Ranma!

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Reynolds wrote: »
    So, maybe I misunderstood. Are none of the EQ2 classes in the game?

Pretty awesome that you can play as Ranma!

There are no previous classes in EO3, although there are some strong similarities between some of the classes, all of them are different.

Maddoc on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Any advice for starting EO1?

Also, why do Yggdroids suck?

KiTA on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    KiTA wrote: »

Because they only get 60 TP ever, and their skills require a lot of prep-work that other better classes don't. (They need to use skills to bind their own limbs to use one of their big attacks, and they need to summon multiple bots into unused party slots to use the other. Mind you for the second one that means having a party of less than five people)

Maddoc on
  • MihashiMihashi Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just finished up the 4th Stratum.
    Kirin wasn't too bad. Except for Retribution, all of his attacks didn't really hit hard and the binds were easily solved thanks to Unbind. Judging from Jesuits' post, it looks like the Deep City route has the harder boss of the two for the 4th Stratum.

Also, the 5th stratum is glorious. Seriously, it's beautiful. This'll be one Stratum I'll be happy to explore.

Mihashi on
    MihashiBonne.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    relasine wrote: »
    Are there any good EO3 Websites with decent guides out there? I'm trying to find guides/advice, but it's mostly been buried in forum threads, which can get laborious to sift through.

Yes, this new OP is much better though and I have hope that it will stay up to date (mainly for things like skill combos that sound like they shouldn't work but do, and ones that sound like they should but don't).

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Maddoc wrote: »
    KiTA wrote: »

Because they only get 60 TP ever, and their skills require a lot of prep-work that other better classes don't. (They need to use skills to bind their own limbs to use one of their big attacks, and they need to summon multiple bots into unused party slots to use the other. Mind you for the second one that means having a party of less than five people)

Mind you, having a Ninja or a Wilding in the party can make up for this in the non-Ygg fights.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • KoldanarKoldanar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ok, I'm positive I missed this information in the last thread, but I'll be damned if I can find it (second stratum question) :
    In the 6th floor, how the heck do you get that treasure right behind one of the currents??

Koldanar on
    3DS friend code : 1375 - 7258 - 4504
    edited September 2010
    Something later on in the stratum will make that obvious.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I started raising up a Princess, and my ventures into the Labyrinth have become a LOT easier.

As easy as EO3 is going to get, rather.

My party loadout was G/H in the front, then N/A/Z - I replaced the Zodiac with the Princess; and I just count on sub classing the Arbalist with Zodiac skills.

I'm still only on floor 4, but I think I can make some decent progress now that I have a dedicated healer!

mrsnackroad on
  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My Buccaneer plan is going pretty well so far. I don't expect him to be as amazing as my Gladiator, but he's definitely more useful than my Prince was (now that my Ninja is subbing Prince, and considering I also have a Monk). With the sheer number of conditional drops in the later stratums that are either "bind head" or "bind everything", I don't think I'm going to regret my decision.

AshtonDragon on
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hah.

Haha.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YESSSSSSSSSSS!

My copy finally arrived! Now to start for real and get lost in the depths of the Labyrinth! What's the consensus on Hoplite speccing? In my trial game mine didn't really seem to work all that amazingly.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's pretty much the standard 'Stand there and tank' classes.

If anyone has info to add, either post it here or PM me and I'll add all that stuff to the OP ASAP.

That aside, I need to rest up a little after my Econs midterms, and then I'll work a bit on the Yggdroid section in the OP, and maybe add some new info if anything popped up on GameFAQS.

(And I'm glad you guys like the OP.)

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
    edited September 2010
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    It's pretty much the standard 'Stand there and tank' classes.

If anyone has info to add, either post it here or PM me and I'll add all that stuff to the OP ASAP.

That aside, I need to rest up a little after my Econs midterms, and then I'll work a bit on the Yggdroid section in the OP, and maybe add some new info if anything popped up on GameFAQS.

(And I'm glad you guys like the OP.)

I mostly meant, what skills work well longterm and all that. Mine's Provoke seemed to never actually do a thing - the poor Prince and his face-magnet kept getting all the hits :P.

And yeah, your OP is really pretty awesome. I actually laughed out loud at several points.

Drascin on
    edited September 2010
    Funny, Provoke's been doing fine for me and I only have 4 points in it right now.

Anyway, in the long term you'll want the Antis again but in the short run, put points in Guardian and HP Up to make yourself a more appealing target to enemies. A point in Shrug Off might be helpful too because few things are more annoying than having enemies hit you for single digit damage and then the poison they hit you with knocking off 30+ hp.

Pureauthor on
  • Crazy LarryCrazy Larry Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've found Recuperate worth investing a few points in so far (second stratum). It's not a lot (10 hp for 1 point, then five for each additional point), but with a Princess as healer it comes in handy in longer fights. I've been putting points into parry too, but I'm not sure that it's worth it.

Crazy Larry on
  • KoldanarKoldanar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've found Recuperate worth investing a few points in so far (second stratum). It's not a lot (10 hp for 1 point, then five for each additional point), but with a Princess as healer it comes in handy in longer fights. I've been putting points into parry too, but I'm not sure that it's worth it.

I put 1 point into both parry and magic parry, assuming that those are the largest return, much like the protector got in EO2. Keep in mind I haven't really spoiled myself on any percentages associated with skills so far yet.

Koldanar on
    3DS friend code : 1375 - 7258 - 4504
    edited September 2010
    Funny, Provoke's been doing fine for me and I only have 4 points in it right now.

Anyway, in the long term you'll want the Antis again but in the short run, put points in Guardian and HP Up to make yourself a more appealing target to enemies. A point in Shrug Off might be helpful too because few things are more annoying than having enemies hit you for single digit damage and then the poison they hit you with knocking off 30+ hp.

Well, the HP increasing thing certainly seems to have worked wonderfully. Now most hits go for the Hoplite indeed. Next level I'll see about a point in Shrug Off and then get to raising Guardian. Thanks for the tip.

Also, anyone know what stat the Arbalests use for damage? You know, for accesory buying and all.

Drascin on
    edited September 2010
    Pretty sure Arbalist uses strength for damage.

Crazy Larry on
  • wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just got this. Kind of a pain to remember who's who unless I adopt a naming system to help identify by class.
    I haven't played this series before and I'm looking forward to it.

wavecutter on
    edited September 2010
    wavecutter wrote: »
    I just got this. Kind of a pain to remember who's who unless I adopt a naming system to help identify by class.
    I haven't played this series before and I'm looking forward to it.

Give each of your guys a story. You'd be surprised how much easier it gets that way, and it's always fun.

Aaaanyway, time to get started on updating stuff.

Pureauthor on
  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Pretty sure Arbalist uses strength for damage.

If their huge strength score is any indication, yeah.
    I not only have an Arbalist, but I have two people subbing it. It's a good class!

AshtonDragon on
    edited September 2010
    I'm beginning to wonder if level 21 isn't just a bit overleveled for B7F, or if FOE's are just a little underpowered this time. Accidentally ran into a red FOE and, after failing to run, proceeded to whup his ass in four turns when I realized he was only doing 50 damage to my party.

Crazy Larry on
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm beginning to wonder if level 21 isn't just a bit overleveled for B7F, or if FOE's are just a little underpowered this time. Accidentally ran into a red FOE and, after failing to run, proceeded to whup his ass in four turns when I realized he was only doing 50 damage to my party.

FOEs in EO3 aren't quite as terrifying as they were in EO2.

In EO2 you reached a point (usually around the 4th Stratum or so) where, if you used some significant resources, you could drop most FOEs that you ran into. In EO3 that point seems to come at the end of the first stratum.

The tradeoff seems to be that there are more regular enemies in EO3 who will ruin your day. Fuck you turtle dude, fuck you!

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
    edited September 2010
    Also most battles are more like battles of attrition then 'kill them quickly before they kill you'.

At any rate: Holy cow level 21 in B7F? Most of my dudes are still in the single digits going into the 2nd Stratum.

Pureauthor on
    edited September 2010
    Reached B2F. My hatred of Titan Alums continues unabashed - freaking things with way too much defense and area attacks making me spend so much TP. Other than that, the team's rolling acceptably. The Wildling's Insect never seems to actually land its poison, though.

Drascin on
  • Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mild early game sea spoiler
    I'm level 7 or 8 and barely halfway through the 2nd floor. Managed to finish off all 3 lighthouse sea quests (princess keeping everyone healthy and zodiac nuking the hell out of the bird makes it easy, not to mention the NPCs you get are pretty good), and loving the equipment I got. Mildly annoyed I had to clear one of them twice though (getting the triple attack script seems to cancel out the reward you'd get normally).

Chrono Helix on
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I want to try a multi-prince(ss) party. "I buff, you buff, we all buff, and now we're healed and full on TP."

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
    edited September 2010
    Also most battles are more like battles of attrition then 'kill them quickly before they kill you'.

At any rate: Holy cow level 21 in B7F? Most of my dudes are still in the single digits going into the 2nd Stratum.

Gearing combat towards battles of attrition seems like an odd choice when you add a no TP healer class to the mix.

Not really sure how our levels could vary so significantly (I had all level 14s by the time I hit the second stratum). I ground out a level or two before fighting Narmer, but other than that I've just been playing straight through.

Drascin, how many points do you have in Wild Mastery and Call Insect? It varies based on the monsters resistance it seems, but once you start getting a pretty decent amount of points in either I find that the land rate is pretty high.

Crazy Larry on
    edited September 2010

Gearing combat towards battles of attrition seems like an odd choice when you add a no TP healer class to the mix.

Not really sure how our levels could vary so significantly (I had all level 14s by the time I hit the second stratum). I ground out a level or two before fighting Narmer, but other than that I've just been playing straight through.

Drascin, how many points do you have in Wild Mastery and Call Insect? It varies based on the monsters resistance it seems, but once you start getting a pretty decent amount of points in either I find that the land rate is pretty high.

To be fair, the Prince's heals don't quite cut it in FOE fights.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    All right, peeps. The first few posts have been updated with more info about the Yggdroid and the newest additions to my guild.

Now, I need a break before my exams again tomorrow.

Pureauthor on
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Testing out the Monk sub Prince build, I am not seeing any boost to the passive heal; it still just does 46 per round even with a few points in the monk's class skill.

Does anyone have real numbers showing that any of the Prince skills can benefit from the monk's healing boost?

Darian on