As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MMA X: Captain Guillotine: Fear the man who has practiced one choke 10,000 times

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It only gets worse when you consider that Red Bull runs television ads here.

They're terrible, tho.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Questions! What color do they have for Mayhem's hair in the game? Do they have Pride Style Entrances?

Also:

Updated thread title to add word of the day "Terrible"

MMA X:WEC 51 Thursday! EA MMA Demo available now! Terrible? Not Terrible? You decide!

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Questions! What color do they have for Mayhem's hair in the game? Do they have Pride Style Entrances?
    Mayhem's hair is black with the red stripe.

There are entrances with music playing, but I've only seen the Strikeforce ones where they just walk to the cage. I haven't seen the entrances for Pride/Dream matches, but I imagine they're the same.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Apparently Roop weighed in wearing a Korean Zombie shirt, which is pretty awesome.

From the [URL="htp://twitter.com/ufc/status/25926570249"]Official UFC Twitter[/URL]
    Roop weighing in in a Korean Zombie Shirt http://bit.ly/95kODA

Hopefully they have a gentleman’s "Ok I won't take you down, you won't take me down, lets beat the shit out of each other for 15 minutes" agreement for this fight. I need at least 15 more minutes of the Korean Zombie this week.

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    Mayhem's hair is black with the red stripe.

There are entrances with music playing, but I've only seen the Strikeforce ones where they just walk to the cage. I haven't seen the entrances for Pride/Dream matches, but I imagine they're the same.

I'm looking for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJNml0CQDuQ

Also who does the announcing for these games? Please tell me it isn't Gus Johnson

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey now, I'll bet Gus would be good at video game commentary, he's pretty good in the Madden games. He's just not so good at the live announcing.

Peen on
  • Options
    doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wanderlei Silva is having a stream going on right now.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/wandfc

He's training again and he's at 210 right now.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm downloading the EA MMA game right now.

I'm probably going to hate it because it's made by terrible EA and they picked the most terrible fighters in the world to put on the cover.
    While in reality I'll hate it because I think fighting games are ridiculous ;)

adytum on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    I'm downloading the EA MMA game right now.

I'm probably going to hate it because it's made by terrible EA and they picked the most terrible fighters in the world to put on the cover.
    While in reality I'll hate it because I think fighting games are ridiculous ;)
    This is why we can never be friends. Fighting games are my favorite.

The tutorial for EA MMA is pretty terrible, though. It only gives you info AS you mess around with the controller. Basically you learn new techniques by pressing buttons and hoping you unlock the help hints. Lemme know if any of you need help learning the game.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Any comments on tonight's TUF?
    Michael Johnson didn't look at all impressive until magical burst of awesomeness in the 3rd. Pretty bad off his back.

Aaron Wilkinson looked all right!

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    hey how is the create-your-own-fighter thing in EA MMA?

Pony on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    from the EA MMA demo it's going to be a great game

someday

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Michael Johnson didn't look at all impressive until magical burst of awesomeness in the 3rd. Pretty bad off his back.

I thought Wilkinson won the fight in 2 rounds. But a real fight is 3 rounds, so I'm not really upset about it.

Johnson was definitely unimpressive, with horrible Kimbo-esque ground defense (against a Wolfslair fighter no less), and unimpressive TDD and striking. He had the Wilkinson's back twice in the 1st 2 rounds and didn't threaten either time. He's supposed to be the best athlete in the house but he gassed as fast as the chain-smoker. He also was having trouble listening to his corner, he kept circling to his left, right towards Wilkinson's power hand. Maybe I'm setting too high a standard, but they kept going on about how he was the #1 prospect on the show.

Good to see Iron Mike, a refreshing change from the embarrassment that was James Toney.

I'm pretty sure I've seen albino ghosts with darker tans than Aaron Wilkinson. I could practically see his blood vessels.

GG Spike TV, spoiling the freaking end of the fight in the commercial. How much longer is the UFC contracted to these clowns?

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »

I thought Wilkinson won the fight in 2 rounds. But a real fight is 3 rounds, so I'm not really upset about it.

Johnson was definitely unimpressive, with horrible Kimbo-esque ground defense (against a Wolfslair fighter no less), and unimpressive TDD and striking. He had the Wilkinson's back twice in the 1st 2 rounds and didn't threaten either time. He's supposed to be the best athlete in the house but he gassed as fast as the chain-smoker. He also was having trouble listening to his corner, he kept circling to his left, right towards Wilkinson's power hand. Maybe I'm setting too high a standard, but they kept going on about how he was the #1 prospect on the show.

Good to see Iron Mike, a refreshing change from the embarrassment that was James Toney.

I'm pretty sure I've seen albino ghosts with darker tans than Aaron Wilkinson. I could practically see his blood vessels.

GG Spike TV, spoiling the freaking end of the fight in the commercial. How much longer is the UFC contracted to these clowns?

Hopefully for a while, Spike devotes a TON of time to MMA programming (TUF, UFC Unleashed, The All Access stuff before a PPV, TUF Finale's, UFC Numbered events live and aired after the fact, they are showing Pride stuff now too) I don't know what other channel has so little going on that they have time to run so much MMA stuff. The network has what? Deadliest Brorrior, Knockouts sports world and that TV show about the college football team and 1000 ways to die. That's about it. Everything else is movies or MMA.

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This episode of TUF was pretty good. I enjoyed the fight, and it was nice to see Tyson make an appearance. I hope he sticks around much longer :)

I also think English won the first 2 rounds, so the decision to go to a third was a bit off. However, Johnson showed he just needed to pull the trigger and finished English off impressively, so I'm okay with it.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dang, should have stayed away from the thread till I saw the latest ep. Silly me!

Edit: GSP is a potty mouth outside of interviews!

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Hopefully for a while, Spike devotes a TON of time to MMA programming (TUF, UFC Unleashed, The All Access stuff before a PPV, TUF Finale's, UFC Numbered events live and aired after the fact, they are showing Pride stuff now too) I don't know what other channel has so little going on that they have time to run so much MMA stuff. The network has what? Deadliest Brorrior, Knockouts sports world and that TV show about the college football team and 1000 ways to die. That's about it. Everything else is movies or MMA.

What's Spike-specific about those shows to the point they can't be shown on networks that are smart enough not to spoil fight results?

As for networks that would feature UFC, HDNet springs to mind. That channel likes MMA so much they do live broadcasts of Strikeforce weigh-ins, if they got a chance at the UFC they'd be all over it.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well, now we've seen the ulgy side of Bruce. I guess we'll see why his record is 4-2 next time he fights.

Also, I am not liking how GSP is bringing in the cream of the crop (along with having Tyson in THEIR room). It just makes the scales tip even further.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    shorttiminshorttimin regular Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Personally, I love it. The Olympic wrestler was amazing to watch. This little dude just tossing people left and right. Also, anything that irritates Koscheck is a-ok in my book. I can't stand that guy.

shorttimin on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    What's Spike-specific about those shows to the point they can't be shown on networks that are smart enough not to spoil fight results?

As for networks that would feature UFC, HDNet springs to mind. That channel likes MMA so much they do live broadcasts of Strikeforce weigh-ins, if they got a chance at the UFC they'd be all over it.

Nothing is Spike specific enough that they can't be on another network. What I'm saying is that Spike has built its network around MMA. It devotes a large amount of it's programming to MMA. Other networks (presumibly) already have full or close to full schedules so if they did get UFC programming would they devote such a large block of time to said programming? Would you rather see TUF on one hour of ESPN 8: The Ocho a week? Or for 50 hours a week on Spike?

Also as for HDNet, that really limits your customer base to: Client's with HD Cable/FIOS programming along with HD TVs. I know we all live with our nice flat screen HDTVs but alot of people still have old school non HD tvs. Even fewer even have HDNet on their cable plan. I want more people to watch MMA/UFC and not less.

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, now we've seen the ulgy side of Bruce. I guess we'll see why his record is 4-2 next time he fights.

Also, I am not liking how GSP is bringing in the cream of the crop (along with having Tyson in THEIR room). It just makes the scales tip even further.

Tyson I can see, although I doubt he only spent time with GSP's guys; this show is known for its creative editing to foment drama. Plus, he's clearly there to visit, not to train.

But GSP's job is to train his guys to be the best and most exciting fighters they can be. So if he calls in a few friends of his who are really good at something to demonstrate how it's done...why is that a problem? I mean, it kind of sucks that even in MMA it's as much who you know as what you know, but...

Shadowen on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Nothing is Spike specific enough that they can't be on another network. What I'm saying is that Spike has built its network around MMA. It devotes a large amount of it's programming to MMA. Other networks (presumibly) already have full or close to full schedules so if they did get UFC programming would they devote such a large block of time to said programming? Would you rather see TUF on one hour of ESPN 8: The Ocho a week? Or for 50 hours a week on Spike?

Also as for HDNet, that really limits your customer base to: Client's with HD Cable/FIOS programming along with HD TVs. I know we all live with our nice flat screen HDTVs but alot of people still have old school non HD tvs. Even fewer even have HDNet on their cable plan. I want more people to watch MMA/UFC and not less.

I've got HD cable and no HDNet. :/

adytum on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Shadowen wrote: »

Tyson I can see, although I doubt he only spent time with GSP's guys; this show is known for its creative editing to foment drama. Plus, he's clearly there to visit, not to train.

But GSP's job is to train his guys to be the best and most exciting fighters they can be. So if he calls in a few friends of his who are really good at something to demonstrate how it's done...why is that a problem? I mean, it kind of sucks that even in MMA it's as much who you know as what you know, but...

I know what you mean. It's just that I feel sorry for Koscheck's guys. It just seems like Koscheck has the wooden mallet while GSP's got the war hammer.

... well, now it's just more blatantly obvious than the first time the announcement for GSP v.s Koscheck II was declared.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Shadowen wrote: »

I know what you mean. It's just that I feel sorry for Koscheck's guys. It just seems like Koscheck has the wooden mallet while GSP's got the war hammer.

... well, now it's just more blatantly obvious than the first time the announcement for GSP v.s Koscheck II was declared.

I just like the fact that GSP actually fucking cares about his fighters. He even said he doesn't care if his guys win, he just cares that they become better fighters. My GSP love has increased 10 fold from where it was, I love guys like him in sports. He knows 'winning' TUF doesn't really matter. His fighter winning the whole thing is nice but his job is to coach and he is actually putting the best interest of his fighters first. Not just his ego as being the 'winning' coach.

I'm sure Kos could bring in all sorts of guys who would love some national exposure. Instead he's sitting there yelling at his team (which I know could just be an editing thing and GSP could be doing the same thing and Kos may have been upset once the whole show but still).

Instead of being upset at GSP for doing to much maybe we should be upset with Kos for doing to little.

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    If Koscheck keeps up the losing streak, then yeah, the man definitely needs to kick it up a notch somehow.

This season's already looking better than the past couple. No one's gone crazy just yet. The prank was kind of funny.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I liked the fight this episode. GSP is so far ahead of Koscheck as a coach it is crazy. Mindless training indeed.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Today was like the shit crescendo to a miserable week.

But I know when I get home..

Dudes punching each other in the face!

Also, a Samuel Stout Oatmeal Stout.

Good luck PAFC contenders!

adytum on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    My longshot gambles on the prelims sure didn't pay off. :lol:
    The odds were good so I took a chance on Pace and Toner. Remember kids, don't bet on MMA!

• Options
    edited October 2010
    Garcia/Hominick:
    Hominick could've taken Garcia down and submitted him almost at any time after round 1, but he easily coasted to a decision win. FFFFFFF I wanted the finish

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I picked Hominick UD for that reason. :D

Edit: what the FUCK.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    That Mexican got fucked up.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Nice big ovation for Zombie! It's ZOMBIE TIME!

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Zombie NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    wow

Organichu on
  • Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Damn!

A Half Eaten Oreo on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm a sad Panda

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Christ KZ got killed that fight. He looked awful.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »
    This episode of TUF was pretty good. I enjoyed the fight, and it was nice to see Tyson make an appearance. I hope he sticks around much longer :)

I also think English won the first 2 rounds, so the decision to go to a third was a bit off. However, Johnson showed he just needed to pull the trigger and finished English off impressively, so I'm okay with it.

i also feel that johnson was less than impressive for all the hype of being #1 pick/"most athletic guy in the house". If GSP was smart he'd have johnson working with that grappling guy off his back for the remainder of the show. A pretty freaking big hole in his game was revealed in that fight, dude has no idea what he's doing when hes on the bottom.

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I almost picked Roop, but went with the Zombie. Oh well. Great knockout.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Nice big ovation for Zombie! It's ZOMBIE TIME!
    Zombies only have one weakness.
    Headshots.