As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Home theater system speakers sound fading in and out?

UnderwhelmingUnderwhelming myMomIsTheJam July 13, 2013Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Howdy, H/A!

Hoping a sound guru can walk me through some troubleshooting or maybe someone has had this problem before.

My Samsung HT-Z310 started having some problems. I was at work and my father-in-law was home watching a movie. When I came home, the old lady and the mom-in-law were there too, and they said the speakers were get quieter and the sound was fading to soft and back to loud over and over. The sound coming out at that point was way quiet, so I turned it up to what would normally be very loud, and the sound was at a reasonable volume, but immediately started fading quieter and then louder. again. Back and forth.

TL,DNR - Sound is fading to quiet and back to loud over and over.

I checked the wire to speaker connections and all are solid. I checked the connections into the back of the main unit and they, too, were good. I took them out and reseated them just in case. That's about all I've got. Any ideas, suggestions or knowledge on this?

Underwhelming on

• Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Howdy, H/A!

Hoping a sound guru can walk me through some troubleshooting or maybe someone has had this problem before.

My Samsung HT-Z310 started having some problems. I was at work and my father-in-law was home watching a movie. When I came home, the old lady and the mom-in-law were there too, and they said the speakers were get quieter and the sound was fading to soft and back to loud over and over. The sound coming out at that point was way quiet, so I turned it up to what would normally be very loud, and the sound was at a reasonable volume, but immediately started fading quieter and then louder. again. Back and forth.

TL,DNR - Sound is fading to quiet and back to loud over and over.

I checked the wire to speaker connections and all are solid. I checked the connections into the back of the main unit and they, too, were good. I took them out and reseated them just in case. That's about all I've got. Any ideas, suggestions or knowledge on this?

#1 - Does this happen over multiple sources? In other words, do you have a game system or a cable box that you can connect to the "receiver" and see if the sound is still bad?
    #2 - Whatever the answer to #1 is, this may be a power-related issue. However, I notice that this unit supports wireless. Do the wireless back speakers behave in the same manner as the wired front speakers?

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    wogiwogi Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That's very strange. I've seen similar things happen with video when the connection was through a router, in which case, it was a bad router causing the problem.
    I've heard of that happening with pc speakers, though I'm not aware of what, if any, fix there is for it.

wogi on
    http://bit.ly/runshort
    -Current W.I.P.
  • Options
    UnderwhelmingUnderwhelming myMomIsTheJam July 13, 2013 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oops, let me clarify a little.

The connections I use are all wired. I have the system connected to the TV through digital optical and the TV runs to my Xbox 360 through HDMI. The movie was playing on the 360 and this started happening. Then we were watching TV and it was still happening.

I went back to the TV speakers til I get this figured out.

EDIT: Ok, check this out, this is even more strange.

I put it back on surround sound while I was playing Bad Company 2 on the 360 and it sounded fine. I turned that off and started watching something on streaming Netflix on the same 360, and the sound was really low again.

Underwhelming on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I put it back on surround sound while I was playing Bad Company 2 on the 360 and it sounded fine. I turned that off and started watching something on streaming Netflix on the same 360, and the sound was really low again.

You're going to have to be extremely descriptive for anyone here to help you. The word "it" cannot be in your vocabulary. What did you turn on? The 360's output? The receiver's processing? Surround could mean anything from faking dolby PLII on the receiver to getting DD-5.1 from the Xbox 360.

Pull up all the sound settings and cable output settings on the TV, write them down, and test whether it works or not. Pull up all the sound settings and processing settings on the receiver, write them down, and test whether it works or not. When you hit a combination that works, post it. When you hit ones that don't work, note what's different between them and what works.

The fact that there is a way to get this to work strongly suggests to me user configuration error over hardware problems, which is good news.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet