As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy 14: Where crafting is half the battle! [FFXIV crafting]

Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with ragefrom a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited December 2010 in MMO Extravaganza
Final Fantasy XIV
MMORPG

ffxiv.jpg

Game is live!

This is the crafting thread!

We will be concentrating talk about the following jobs in this thread:

Disciples of the Hand
Crafters drive the manufacturing and production side of Eorzea. By equipping various tools, one can enter a number of trades. So far, only two have been revealed, but it is expected they will include many more. Final Fantasy XI, for example, allowed players to practice woodworking, blacksmithing, goldsmithing, clothcrafting, leathercrafting, boneworking, alchemy and cooking.

Alchemist
Masters of Science and Nature, the devilish and the divine, alchemists ensure their livelihood through the transmogrification of mundane materials into wondrous wares--from curative concoctions to potent potables. Upon conducting their symphonies of commixing and combining, distilling and decocting, the impossible waxes possible, and miracles are born.

The Eorzean school only recently came to be recognized in scientific circles as a valid branch of alchemical orthodoxy. It is based on fundamental principles originating in the Near East tradition, but draws heavily upon esoteric elements of both Lalafellin herbalism and Miqo'te occultism as well.

Blacksmith
Oft covered from head to toe in soot and sweat, blacksmiths forge their livings from red-hot steel, ever coaxing the unyielding metal into submission with their tireless poundings. Whether it be smelting an ingot in the fires of a city forge, or hammering the dents from an adventurer's breastplate at a remote aetheryte camp deep in the wilderness, their work knows no boundaries--making smithing one of Eorzea's most widespread professions.

The roots of smithing can be traced back to Hydaelyn's bronze era. It was during this period that a system of prenticeship was established, ensuring the methods of this art would be passed along to future generations. And while these basic techniques have survived the ages, countless different branches of smithing, including gunsmithing, have emerged in recent years, further broadening the scope of this ancient trade.

Culinarian
Whetting appetites from dawn until dusk with prowess of pot and pan, culinarians provide more than simple sustenance. Armed with a cornucopia of ingredients from across the realm, and versed in methods from the far corners of Hydaelyn, these master chefs help adventurers maintain their strength on the battlefield, bringing truth to the age-old adage that the road to victory truly does run through one's stomach.

Although an established trade far before recorded history, it wasn't until half a century ago when Limsa Lominsan admiral and self-proclaimed gourmand, Ghuolskyf Bhaldwaensyn, known by the masses as "Mastcleaver," put forth a thalassocratic decree proclaiming the culinary arts as a guildworthy craft. Henceforth, it has been recognized across Eorzea as a legitimate member of the Tradescraft Society -- its recipe compendiums now grace the shelves of every librarium in the realm.

Tanner
Contrary to popular belief, a tanner's skills are not limited to the mere boiling and dying of pelts and skins, but also encompass those of an armourer and clothier, for a true leatherworker would never entrust his hides to the hands of another. Perhaps a tanner's most arduous and time-consuming task is procuring the various coats and furs necessary for his trade, which is the reason why many who choose this profession tend to dabble in hunting and trapping as well.

The Elezen have long been known for their skill in leathercrafting, yet for centuries their techniques were heavily guarded. However, when dwindling numbers of guildmasters were threatened with the disappearance of their immense wealth of compiled knowledge, Elezen leatherworkers set aside pride and reluctantly began revealing those techniques to a select few. As a result, the quality of Eorzean-made leather improved significantly, creating an increased demand for products using the superior-quality material.

Weaver
From fiber to thread, thread to cloth, cloth to dress, and path of a tailor literally weaves its way from basic beginnings to extravagant ends. And while this alone can prove a long and arduous journey, a weaver's work spans more than just the spinning of strings and the sewing of seams. Those who wish to excel as clothcrafters must also stay attuned to the latest fashion trends, ensuring their custom are never scoffed by their peers for looking anything less than posh.

Just as the Spinner, Nymeia, spins the fate of all Eorzeans, the warp and weft of a weaver's work, too, have been known to alter the course of destinies both large and small. Perhaps this is why so many of the realm's tailors pay homage to the fickle goddess.

Disciples of the Land
Gatherers will cover most of the HELM activities of Final Fantasy XI. These include, but may not be limited to, Hunting, Excavating, Lumbering, Mining and Fishing. By taking a tool in hand, players can improve their skills in a variety of professions.

Botanist
Coming Soon

Fisherman
Coming Soon

Miner
The Miner's Guild is responsible for the excavation and handling of Eorzea's mineral wealth, be it ores, fossils, precious stones, or otherwise. It should come as no surprise, then, that their most eager customers are the ream's blacksmiths and goldsmiths.

To fully master the advanced techniques developed by the great mining nation of Ul'dah, miners must undertake a wide range of tasks, from the meticulous prospecting of the most minute deposits to large-scale civil engineering. The guild staunchly subscribes to the theory of continental drift, and as such many among its ranks for their patron deity Oschon, the Wanderer.

The primary tool of the miner is the pickaxe.

Important note: The game will not have a centralized auction house at launch. The economy and crafting will depend on networked crafters forming supply chains. We have an advantage in this in that we are all cool cats here that love co-operative efforts.

To this end please keep me posted on what levels you have in different jobs related to gathering and crafting. Your fellow crafters need your materials and skills!

I am not much into the crafting, so hit me up with write-ups to stick into the following posts.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
Just_Bri_Thanks on

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    jdmichal wrote: »
    I feel like the words "Never throw away Flax" should appear in the OP somewhere after the shitfest I got yesterday for saying I was tossing them.

Just so everyone knows, God kills a kitten for every Flax you throw away. Don't throw them away.

Bri addendum: This goes for anything really. Before you ditch or vendor anything, ask if someone needs it. It you MUST get stuff out of your inventory, The following homps will hold stuff for crafters:
    Just_Bri_Thanks - Narawen Blake and Alsoa Bri
    saefal - Saefal Nizasha and Varanos Nizasha

Please give me write ups about your crafting and gathering job of choice! Fucking _________ man, how does it work?

Also:
    The dev team answers questions on crafting! http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=5542db352bb764087916b9d9200acf78650edf81

Seems we were pretty damned close in our theories.

This is a MUST READ for any crafters.
    IndieGirl wrote: »
    http://ffxiv.yg.com/bazaar

YG now has a bazaar section now -- I don't know how popular it will be, but seems like it's worth using if you're crafting to sell.

Crafting Q&A up.
    FFXIVCore wrote:
    Q. I haven't been having much success crafting items. What am I doing wrong?

A. The colored, glowing graphics provides players with a large hint toward a successful synthesis. When the glow is white, the synthesis is at its most stable, and the chances of success are high. When the glow takes on a color, however, the chances of success are low. Players seeking simple completion of their synthesis rather than high-quality results should attempt to use the Wait command when the indicator is colored to restore the stability of the synthesis before finishing it.

Q. Is there a trick to synthesizing high-quality items?

A. Though synthesis actions carried out while the colored circle graphic is red suffer a reduced rate of success, they often serve to increase the quality of the synthesis. In addition, the successful execution of consecutive actions also serves to increase quality. Ultimately, the higher the quality of the synthesis process, the more likely it is to yield a high-quality result.

Q. What do the values attached to synthesis materials, such as +1, signify?

A. These values represent bonuses applied to the durability and quality of a synthesis when it is first begun. Unlike increases to quality made during the crafting process, this initial bonus has no bearing on the degree of difficulty of the synthesis. Such bonus materials therefore increase a player's chances at synthesizing high-quality items, without increasing the difficulty of the synthesis.

Q. I am able to choose between using my main hand or off hand tool when beginning a synthesis. What is the difference?

A. Main hand and off hand tools have varying characteristics which manifest themselves in different ways when a high-quality result is achieved while synthesizing. There are many possible outcomes. For instance, a successful synthesis with a main hand tool may result in a +1 or +2 item, while the result obtained with an off hand tool may be a higher yield of regular quality items.

Q. I don't have enough of the crystals I need for synthesis. Is there a way to get more of the certain crystal type I need?

A. Other than looting fresh corpses, crystals can also be obtained through gathering. Further, for Disciples of the Land, allotting elemental bonus points to a certain element will result in a greater likelihood of procuring crystals of that type. Location is another factor to consider, as some places will yield more of certain crystal types than others.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    Who are my crafters out there (Intero-bang)

What are your mad skillz?

Akira - Ragnar Eldgrim * {Armorsmith}
    Defenestrator - Lincoln Hawk (Blacksmith}
    Delphinidaes - Delphi Pendragon {Goldsmith}
    ICANHASDANNO - Muni Buni {Weaving and Leathercrafting}
    Kusmeroglu - Alanin Leucine {Carpenter}
    Musax - Rathiain Cachat (Armorsmith}
    Neville - Neville Longbottom {Alchemy / Weaving}
    POndash - Destella Ayonatta {Weaver}
    Tre - Solarex Solarah {Weaver}
    user - Exzeph Crosswind {Leatherworker}

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • a puddlea puddle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Regarding facilities:

Am I completely wrong in my assumption that you don't gain any benefit from any facility (regardless of level) for recipes that don't specifically state that they need a facility. These recipes list the facility needed when they list the additional skill and crystal cost. They also provide a warning along the lines of you requiring a larger scale facility to do that synth.

Extending from this, am I completely wrong in my thinking that higher level facilities won't benefit a synth that requires lower level facilities any more than the lower level facilities benefit that synth?

a puddle on
  • IndieGirlIndieGirl Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Does anyone know for sure what the depth meter does on the various gathering professions?

IndieGirl on
    zle3Y.jpg
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    IndieGirl wrote: »
    Does anyone know for sure what the depth meter does on the various gathering professions?

No one knows anything for sure. But the theory is that it corresponds to the likelihood of you getting certain types of items as opposed to others.

For example, the lower you are on the meter for botany on a tree, the higher chance of logs. The middle has higher chance of twigs, and the top has higher chance of fruit.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • SquallSeeD31SquallSeeD31 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am an Alchemist, and will get to at least 20 to be useful to people before switching to Goldsmithing, which will eventually be my primary. This may change in the future based on how Square handles crafting beyond the 20's.

To Miramu: It's not an unreasonable theory, but FFXIV presents facilities similarly to the way that FFXI treated synthesis support. For the time being, we are treating them the same way until we learn otherwise.

In FFXI, "Basic" synthesis support gave +1 to your effective crafting level, and "Advanced" synthesis support gave +3. They didn't have Common/Guild/Master distinctions, but with the skill bonus jumping from +1 to +3, the "Guild" delineation makes sense logically.

Until we know more about the crafting system overall, any analysis of how much support we get from more advanced facilities is really a bunch of conjecture, so there's really nothing to disprove your theory beyond "well it was this way in the last game". The last game had Auction Houses, soooo...

SquallSeeD31 on
    FFXIV: Alchemy Stuff Character:
    8229_48d6215903dff562.png
  • a puddlea puddle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't think it will be possible to test until we have at least one person at the crafting max who is willing to burn a huge amount of resources.

It would also be a tedious amount of data collection if you wanted to have a really viable experiment.

a puddle on
  • KusmerogluKusmeroglu Consumer Glue (aka Petra) Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Carpenter -

I just made a shitload of maple lumber, so if any of yous needs any of these, please let me know!

P.S.. love the spreadsheet idea, but none of us can edit the Trading Post Spreadsheet - how's that going to be managed?

Kusmeroglu on
    x5jS9QJ.png
  • useruser Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am a leather worker, I'm sure I've met you. I really wanted to give you gloves. Perhaps you took them? Why didn't you take them?!

user on
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Kusmeroglu wrote: »
    Carpenter -

I just made a shitload of maple lumber, so if any of yous needs any of these, please let me know!

P.S.. love the spreadsheet idea, but none of us can edit the Trading Post Spreadsheet - how's that going to be managed?

PM me your email address for Edit access. For now I'll allow any editor to be able to add more editors.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I asked in the other thread but no on noticed... I'm having shitty luck getting any maple from grade 1 nodes outside Ul'Dah. My hoplon production has slowed a bit due to that.

Should I check out another area for bontany or just assume its bad luck at the moment?

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    edited September 2010
    Badwrong wrote: »
    So I asked in the other thread but no on noticed... I'm having shitty luck getting any maple from grade 1 nodes outside Ul'Dah. My hoplon production has slowed a bit due to that.

Should I check out another area for bontany or just assume its bad luck at the moment?

I have some maple logs. That's about the only thing made of maple I think I've gotten from Grade 1.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Beltaine wrote: »
    I have some maple logs. That's about the only thing made of maple I think I've gotten from Grade 1.

Which area are you getting them? Some people said to try another zone instead of outside Ul'Dah.

30 mins and all I got was willow and crow feathers.

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    edited September 2010
    Google doc spreadsheet? What's the link?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited September 2010
    Google doc spreadsheet? What's the link?

See my sig.

I got Maple logs outside Uldah. Are you notching near the bottom? It seems to kind of randomly pick between Maple, Ash, and Willow. Sometimes giving all three different kinds from the same tree.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Beltaine wrote: »
    See my sig.

I got Maple logs outside Uldah. Are you notching near the bottom? It seems to kind of randomly pick between Maple, Ash, and Willow. Sometimes giving all three different kinds from the same tree.

I'll try the bottom more, I was trying all over the place and just got sick of damn feathers.

I dont like bontany at all, but I hate the current retainer system more. Mining however I find great and get tons of what I need.

Lots of hoplons, barbuts and gauntlets to be sold after I get off work today and the new players are finishing up the intro quest line.

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    edited September 2010
    I need to find upgraded tools for Botany, Mining, and Fishing since I'm going to have to re-roll tonight to get my pre-order goggles.

I'll trade my 14k in gil and all the inventory on my current character for them.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
  • StuartenhaffenStuartenhaffen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Have any of our LW tried making dyed sheep leather? YG has it up as an easy recipe, but I failed at every attempt. Dye cost me an arm and a leg too.

Stuartenhaffen on
    edited September 2010
    Spreadsheet in the OP.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited September 2010
    Has anyone tried deviating from the recipes posted on Lodestone?

For example, using Maple or Willow Lumber instead of Ash to make a Pickaxe Shaft? And then if that works, subsequently using a Maple or Willow Pickaxe Shaft to make a Bronze Pickaxe?

Which then raises the question, would a Bronze Pickaxe made with Ash be different from a Bronze Pickaxe made of Maple?

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
  • jdmichaljdmichal Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Reposting this from the now-punch-oriented thread:
    user wrote: »
    Yes well as a LW I make mostly gear for Pugilists, Gladiators, and Marauders. And out of the three, for whatever reason, Marauders are the one's who haven't asked me for anything. I am displeased by this.

I'll be happy to fix that for you! My current concentrations are Marauder and Miner. I'll take whatever you can provide me, though I can't promise much back in return right now.

Though the armguards don't list MRD as a favored class, but the leggings and workboots do? :?

jdmichal on
    XBox Live: KillerCodeMonky | Steam: KillerCodeMonky
    SC2: KillerCodeMk | LoL: KillerCodeMonky | FFXIV: Shea Demvas (Sargantas)
    Ghost in the Linkshell Item Requisitioning
    Let me know you are from PA, otherwise I will likely ignore you.
  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Had some great crafting last night thanks to rathiain!

I am able to make circlets now and have loads of gem materials. I only made two copper lapis ones because I lacked the fish glue to make brass. If you have spare fish glue I'll be happy to make some attempts as the brass ones.

I also can make brass chokers without fail now and was 1/2 on brass earings. I tried a brass ring... and failed hard (I guess I can't make level 21 stuff yet haha).

Finally I made 3 brass wristlets 2 of which I gave to rath and I kept one. The only bad thing I noticed about them is they jump from 2 slot cost to 3. But, they have +5 def and +14 HP so they kick ass.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
    edited September 2010
    I just added a claimee / fulfiller column to each page in the spreadsheet. I'll be adding a rules page in the front next, so that everyone can stay sane.

EDIT: Rules page in.

jdmichal on
    edited September 2010
    Oh I should be able to start mass producing brass wristlets for the LS soon. Rathiain is making me more rings to use. I am starting to get low on shards so if you have spares (wind especially) let me know. I'll be happy to make whatever you need (of course ill do that without donations as well hehe).

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey Gally, could you make me some caster jewelry? Let me know what that would entail.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    edited September 2010
    Hey Gally, could you make me some caster jewelry? Let me know what that would entail.

how about a pair of these? and 4 bone rings? I have an old bone ring +1 (or i should at least) Don't worry about the materials, ill fund that but I could really use a restock of the crystals at a minium 9ea for the wrist gaurds and 4ea for the rings. so a total of 34. More would be nice if ya got them though hehe.

Let me know if you like them and i'll work on them during my lunch break.

Also, for pickup ill be in Ul'dah tonight @ 8PM PDT tonight but only for a little bit. Got plans with the wife later this evening.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • POndashPOndash Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm a 17 (almost 18) weaver, a fact which seems to surprise people. My leather working is 7, and I'll eventually grind that up a bit for the recipes that require both cloth and leather.

I typically hang around Ul'dah, because that is where all the cool kids are, and I'm always in need of wind shards and lightning crystals.

POndash on
    Xbox Live/Steam/PSN/Raptr: POndash

edited September 2010
    Greg USN wrote: »

how about a pair of these? and 4 bone rings? I have an old bone ring +1 (or i should at least) Don't worry about the materials, ill fund that but I could really use a restock of the crystals at a minium 9ea for the wrist gaurds and 4ea for the rings. so a total of 34. More would be nice if ya got them though hehe.

Also, for pickup ill be in Ul'dah tonight @ 8PM PDT tonight but only for a little bit. Got plans with the wife later this evening.

Crystals or shards, and what kind? I might have to write an IOU. I'm not doing any crafting at the moment so all of my shards are going as payment towards the people who craft gear for me. Let me know.

I'm pretty much out of wind/water, but I have a shitton of earth shards and a good amount of fire. I'll shoot to be in uldah at 8pm PDT.

Grundlestiltskin on
    edited September 2010
    Greg USN wrote: »

Crystals or shards, and what kind? I might have to write an IOU. I'm not doing any crafting at the moment so all of my shards are going as payment towards the people who craft gear for me. Let me know.

I'm pretty much out of wind/water, but I have a shitton of earth shards and a good amount of fire. I'll shoot to be in uldah at 8pm PDT.

Wind is the required shard for all 6 synths. I'll start with your wrist gaurds, may not have ennough wind for the rings.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
    edited September 2010
    If I can find Sell Crystals in Uldah I'll try to buy you a bunch for tonight.

Grundlestiltskin on
    edited September 2010
    k no worries. ill start during lunch because otherwise i just wait for lunch to be over lol

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Are there any particular crafting skillsets that we don't have well represented?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited September 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Are there any particular crafting skillsets that we don't have well represented?

I think smithing is actually a bit under-represented. I was planning on going into that, but with the limited time I've had so far I'm actually going to stick with just gathering for now. I even bought the hammer and file, which I will probably never use except to maybe smelt ores into nuggets to lessen inventory load.

jdmichal on
  • MrNijnMrNijn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ladies i am in dire need of a shield and steel-like-things i can strap onto my amazingly small gladiator body.

Anyone that can hook me up?

Let me know what this will involve from my part.

-Fishy Various.

MrNijn on
  • AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Added some stuff I have to the fishing part of the spreadsheet. Going from memory, so if you need a specific fishy bit not listed I might have it.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
    edited September 2010
    can some one make me some fish glue? :o

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • DefenestratorDefenestrator Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I can give you some fish glue once it actually lets me log in. Also, Lincoln is 11 Bsmith, Bri dog. Take note.

Defenestrator on
    edited September 2010
    So noted.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited September 2010
    yeah fish glue! I wont be on until 8pm though.

@wonder boy. I had a lot of workplace issues involving one of my sailors today plus it was end of fiscal year (yes, I am a navy bean counter). Long story short i did not have a lunch at all. I'll make your bone thingies when I log in tonight, sorry for the delay.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I hear crafting sucks now, C/D?

Akira on
    akira.gif