As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pour me a glass of [Boardwalk Empire]

• Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Talking about how confusing the characters are just makes me thankful I don't have to relearn The Sopranos or The Wire characters all over again, sorry white cop #6 I forgot about that. Oh sorry black gangster #74 I forgot you had beef with black gangster #41.

Fizban140 on
  • Jademonkey79Jademonkey79 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    More than anything on this show, I love how Scorsese always finds a way to include bizarre history trivia in his movies (premies on display, etc). He's got an eye for detail that makes his movies a little richer.

Now, let's see if they can keep the momentum going beyond the second episode.

Jademonkey79 on
    "We’re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Talking about how confusing the characters are just makes me thankful I don't have to relearn The Sopranos or The Wire characters all over again, sorry white cop #6 I forgot about that. Oh sorry black gangster #74 I forgot you had beef with black gangster #41.

The Wire and Soprano's are both shows that really benefit from watching on DVDs being able to watch a bunch of episodes en masse and not having to go week by week really helps with remembering who everybody is.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

The Wire and Soprano's are both shows that really benefit from watching on DVDs being able to watch a bunch of episodes en masse and not having to go week by week really helps with remembering who everybody is.

I actually just started The Wire the other night, and (so far at least) I'm finding it far easier than most shows to keep track of the characters.

Certainly easier than the first ep of this show.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »

I actually just started The Wire the other night, and (so far at least) I'm finding it far easier than most shows to keep track of the characters.

Certainly easier than the first ep of this show.

Really? Well, that makes me feel dumb, I had a really hard time keeping track of all The Wire characters at first. Although, I thought the Sopranos was one of the easiest, as far as complex dramatic series go, to keep track of.

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
    edited September 2010
    The Sopranos got tricky when they introduced the New York families, other than that it wasn't too bad.

I always faulted myself for not knowing the characters, never considered it a fault of the show.

Fizban140 on
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Because of this, I'm waiting until there's more of the season out before I watch this. I watched shows like The Wire, Deadwood and The Sopranos on DVD, so I could watch multiple episodes at a time. I think because of that I didn't have too hard a time keeping up with the characters. Seeing an episode once a week though isn't much, pretty easy to miss out on small details in the intervening week.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I really liked the part in the second episode where Jimmy gives Nucky what he owes him and
    Nucky just puts all $3000 on black and gambles it away like it's nothing to him.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I thought the second episode was a lot better. The characters are really starting to flesh out now and we are seeing more and more of the personalities. I am really enjoying it. That and Nucky/Steve Buscemi is really great to watch.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited October 2010
    I really like Jimmy as a character, not sure what to think of him. He is suppose to be the nice guy you can relate to style character, with some flaws, but he really starts coming undone when he is pressured for money.

Fizban140 on
  • lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What's a motherfucker?

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This series has been damn good and I love it.

I always feel the first season of any series starts off slow but the latest episode with the KKK and Chalky(Chocky?) was great.

McAllen on
  • HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    imdb says chalky, but I thought it sounded like chocky as well
    Either way really starting to enjoy this show, although it's a bit weird seeing the guy playing Al capone, I just keep thinking of ze germans whenever I see him

Hitsuraptor on
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    imdb says chalky, but I thought it sounded like chocky as well
    Either way really starting to enjoy this show, although it's a bit weird seeing the guy playing Al capone, I just keep thinking of ze germans whenever I see him

Wasn't he the sergeant who got busted down to private when the NCOs said they wouldn't follow Sobel into combat (Band of Brothers)?

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There is something about the actor that plays Jimmy that annoys me, even though I like Jimmy himself. Everything he says sounds so whiny.

I hated him in the Dreamers, which I only watched for... Well, you know why.

TeaSpoon on
  • G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    There is something about the actor that plays Jimmy that annoys me, even though I like Jimmy himself. Everything he says sounds so whiny.

Watch the American version of Funny Games, he's incredible in that.

Also, Chalky's "book shelf" monologue in the last episode is like...one of the awesomest things ever.

G Rol on

G%20Rol.jpg
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    G Rol wrote: »

Also, Chalky's "book shelf" monologue in the last episode is like...one of the awesomest things ever.

You never mess with Omar if you know what's good for you.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    G Rol wrote: »

That was seriously badass.

"Well, I ain't gonna be makin' bookcases."

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
    edited October 2010
    I don't get the episode name Anastasia, why was it named that? I know the story I just am not making a connection.

Fizban140 on
  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There was a newspaper article about somebody claiming to be Anastasia that the Irish women was reading to her kids. It also gave her hope that things could get better in a kinda surrogate way. She later finds out that the lady was lying, further driving her towards meeting with the fed about the booze.

iguanacus on
    edited October 2010
    I guess, I was thinking of more of a shes a fake kind of thing, but that came about in the next episode.

Fizban140 on
  • SkySky Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm liking the show. And I'm liking how they are showing EVERYTHING going on, not just focusing on Atlantic City.

And I like how they are keeping the show realistic, not stylizing or embellishing or making things up.

My girlfriend complains that she feels there are too many stereotypes and cliches with characters and behaviors. In my opinion, that is because this is where they got the stereotypes and cliches from.

Sky on
    edited October 2010
    I was kind of hoping that Nucky would have a change of heart and call at the end, but oh well.

What was up with that last scene, though? Was the guy getting off on it or what?

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Self flagellation to correct the impure thoughts that he was having is what I took from the scene.

iguanacus on
    edited October 2010
    I guess that makes sense. Dude has issues either way.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What episode are we on now? I feel I've lost track but I'm trying to avoid spoilers so I'm wary of looking around.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Episode 6 just came out.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • SkySky Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Damn, I was hoping this show would be more historically accurate, but Nucky is slightly different from the real guy, and the reason? The real Nucky looked like Tony Soprano!

*chuckles* Oh well.

Sky on
    edited November 2010
    There was one scene in the latest episode that I didn't get:
    Who are the two lesbians, and what connection do they have to Nucky?

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Nibble wrote: »

One of them is
    the mother of Jimmie's kid, the other is the wife of the photographer who took the 'baudy' photo's of Jimmie's girl (which caused him to flip out and leave for Chicago in an earlier episode)

I'm glad I caught up with this show last week, it really came into its own around episode 4, and it hasn't let up since. I wouldn't have thought in a 100 years that Steve Buscemi could be a credible romantic lead in a drama, but here we are.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • TheOrangeTheOrange Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That greek guy really looks like he is from an older time D:

TheOrange on
    edited November 2010

One of them is
    the mother of Jimmie's kid, the other is the wife of the photographer who took the 'baudy' photo's of Jimmie's girl (which caused him to flip out and leave for Chicago in an earlier episode)

That seems kind of random... I had actually assumed that they'd written her out of the script since I hadn't seen her in several episodes.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

One of them is

That seems kind of random... I had actually assumed that they'd written her out of the script since I hadn't seen her in several episodes.

She's popped up a few times since he left, always short scenes though. And it makes sense because earlier...
    Jimmie was accusing her of sleeping with the photographer... but then the TWIST! It's actually his wife.

DemonStacey on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Just finished watching Season 1. Goddamn this show is awesome.
    I got into a minor tiff with the fiance concerning the second to last episode
    When Annabelle propositioned Nucky and he was all "Yeah, I'll keep that one in my pocket. Thanks!" and Mrs. Schroder was all pissed walking in on that. I thought she was being unreasonable because Nucky really didn't do anything wrong. Her "friend" was the slutwhore, Nucky just said "Thanks, but no thanks. Raincheck?" That really isn't a dick move, right?

• 3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    This fall is season 2!! Can't wait. I'm interested to see how the plot thickens with everyone more or less conspiring against Nucky.

Also, more Capone. A very well written character. Many of them are, which is why I love the show.

• ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    My wife and I caught up on this show over the past couple of weeks. Absolutely love it and can't wait for Season 2.

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    So excited about this coming back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA-BCRHjjfA

• MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    When does it start airing again?

MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Sept. 25

• zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    More people should watch this. This second episode was brilliant all around.
    The show does suffer from hit or miss episodes, but when it hits it's very good.

zeeny on