As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MINECRAFT - Build to the sky, Dig to the depths. Join the masses.

• Crotchless Gorilla SuitCrotchless Gorilla Suit Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    So remember that huge tree/forest I posted earlier today? I realized I had bitten off more than I could chew.. Sooooo...

spoiler'd for huge
    fire.jpg

And that's after about 3/4 of it had already burned...

Yeah, that was just begging to be torched. I'm sorry I missed it.

Crotchless Gorilla Suit on
  • EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I would like to get the 2nd post of the new OP again if I can.

That, or I guess I can just make the new OP, but I'm not involved in the steam group stuff.

Ein on
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ...DAMMIT.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hiravaxis wrote: »
    How do I get string? Just spiders?

Yes, although they are occasionally in dungeon chests.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • TarpoTarpo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Spleef sounds fun but needs either an incredibly long drop for the loser.. or perhaps into Lava

Tarpo on
  • samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm going long drop. If the server isn't full, I'm going to start working on it now.

samurai6966 on
  • JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tarpo wrote: »
    Spleef sounds fun but needs either an incredibly long drop for the loser.. or perhaps into Lava

It doesn't have to be a very long drop. But it should be into water. And the pool into which you fall should be quite wide underground. It's to assure you have a long, shameful swim back to land. To contemplate your ineptitude.

Lava is just... Fall, die, respawn, run back. Even if the run takes more time, swimming is sloooooooow. It emphasizes the loss more.

JamesKeenan on
    edited October 2010
    Cactus pits. With lava channels between them.

Ein on
    edited October 2010
    Ok, so were should I build this place? I'm looking around Freelands but more of the flat area has been built on and I'm not wanting to level a mountain.

samurai6966 on
    edited October 2010
    Shit, looks like MineCraft crashed...

:evil:

samurai6966 on
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wow, I suck at making statues.

I'm trying to make a hybrid Argonath/Lost statue at the entrance to my sunken ruins and it looks like I'm playing Hangman

gjaustin on
    edited October 2010
    Ein wrote: »

You guys are lacking real forethought.

Spleef is an intense anxious game.

You have to be game designers, for you are designing a game, an experience. Games need pacing.

Following a defeat in Spleef, the objectively superior option is a change of pace. And a purposeful opportunity to reflect. As well as sulk. The long swim back to shore is multi-purposed.

JamesKeenan on
    edited October 2010
    gjaustin wrote: »

I'm trying to make a hybrid Argonath/Lost statue at the entrance to my sunken ruins and it looks like I'm playing Hangman

A statue of any decent quality will have to be quite large to get the details in. I recommend practicing in MSPaint or something first to get the blueprint.

JamesKeenan on
    edited October 2010

You have to be game designers, for you are designing a game, an experience. Games need pacing.

Following a defeat in Spleef, the objectively superior option is a change of pace. And a purposeful opportunity to reflect. As well as sulk. The long swim back to shore is multi-purposed.

I'm going to find some ocean and built it there. I want to make a way so it's easy for fans to get to but losers will have a problem.

samurai6966 on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Arthil wrote: »
    Oh cool, my mountain castle of awesomeness is visible on the cartogropher pictures!

Which castle is yours?

I'm trying to discover whose castle I built a garden for :)

Hint: Mine's the bigger one connected to it via epic bridge with LAVA.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I say make a pool below the arena that is flowing in one direction. Place Cactuses liberally around and within the pool. Naturally the pool leads to a very long, narrow chamber of water that takes you outside to the sea, or an island, or hell. Wherever.

Also, the chamber should be dark for A) not being able to see very well (not pitch black, obviously) and B) those spooky sounds that play in dark places.

Avoiding that horrible place would be plenty of incentive to try to win, I think.

hatedinamerica on
  • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

A statue of any decent quality will have to be quite large to get the details in. I recommend practicing in MSPaint or something first to get the blueprint.

I had the same grand idea with statues and figured I'd start simple and get more complex. For an idea of the scale you need, pick the smallest feature you want to be able to make out in detail (say, an eye) and build a satisfactory model of that. When you end up with an eyeball ten blocks wide, that'll give you an idea of how frigging big your statue needs to be. :)

I took some pics of my simple little single-player projects but have dawdled in putting them online. Maybe I'll do that tonight.

Drake Chambers on
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If you're talking about game design though, what you need to focus on is clear feedback and player visibility. How do you show the player why they failed, in a constructive way that helps them explore what they can do to avoid that kind of failure in the future?

I think the short answer is third person perspective.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • ContentContextContentContext Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I was digging underground, in a far off land, when I started running low on supplies. I dug towards the surface, with my bare hands, after running out of picks, and broke through on land. A few more meters and it would've been in the ocean. I made the best marker I could and swam towards my spawn point. I was so relieved to have made it back. I wanted to get back to where I was digging, so I've been building a sky bridge in the direction from which I came, but it's taking way longer than I thought it would. I made a map of my world and realized I still have a way to go.
    5AbnU.jpg

I came up somewhere in that general area(I think that line above the "where" is a marker, but I might have put up more than one). The land I want to return to is a lot further out. I'm getting low on sand, on the beach near the tunnel to my first mine.

ContentContext on
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think this game has pretty much proven that you don't have to be a massive game like WoW to be stupid successful, you just need to focus on taking advantage of compulsive behavior.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have hundreds of obsidian blocks that I need to create, mine, and replace while tending my grass migration bridge.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
    edited October 2010

I had the same grand idea with statues and figured I'd start simple and get more complex. For an idea of the scale you need, pick the smallest feature you want to be able to make out in detail (say, an eye) and build a satisfactory model of that. When you end up with an eyeball ten blocks wide, that'll give you an idea of how frigging big your statue needs to be. :)

I took some pics of my simple little single-player projects but have dawdled in putting them online. Maybe I'll do that tonight.

Yeah, I'm actually going to go for a run down look for all my stuff, so I think starting with just a foot would work.

Though I really want to get the hand up in the "stop" position, to scare people off of the continent with Zeal.

gjaustin on
  • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Okay, here's another one of those lame-next-to-the-OCD-megaprojects example posts, but this is my own private little world, and I'm quite fond and proud of it.

I started on a sand bar just offshore of a simple, hilly land. There I learned to build my first rudimentary dirt shelter. After a few nights I realized the benefit of enclosing access to my mining operation within a protective wall, and I had fun building a stone bridge from the second story of my dirt hut over to the stone mining foreman's building that covered my first mine.

Once I had learned the fundamentals of survival and construction I was eager to explore, and a distant hilly island beckoned. Before I left though I wanted to leave a more distinctive mark on this little spot of land that I had claimed, and so I built my first simple monument facing out towards the sea.
    FirstShore.png

You can kind of see underneath the bridge that the statue stands on a small mausoleum of sorts with iron doors. That seemed ceremonial enough for me.

So I set out for this new land and took a more ambitious approach to building my fortification. It's humble by most of our accounts, yes, but was still a significant upgrade from my shapeless dirt dwelling of the past.
    TheKeep-Exterior.png

It was in the extensive mining operation beneath this keep that I began collecting and smelting a significant volume of solid stone for my next project. I was determined to touch the clouds from my next edifice, and I had chosen another distant hillside upon which to build the tower.

Of course, just like before, I wasn't ready to leave this place behind with nothing to commemorate by presence beyond a rather anonymous keep. I built another monument, also facing the sea.
    SecondShore.png

The site I had chosen for the tower was on the horizon, and I had a significant amount of material that needed to be moved there, so I set about building a track on which all the carts full of stone could be easily moved. I built the track at a moderate elevation and placed torches at regular intervals so it could be used as a relatively safe road between the two sites at night.

My first tower, from the beach below.
    TheTowerfromBeach.png

From atop the keep, a view of the tower and the track network that extends there and then beyond to my next construction site.
    TowerViewfromKeep.png

A similar view, but at night. I really love the interesting effects you can get lighting a structure from within.
    TowerViewfromKeepatNight.png

Finally, a view of the track network and keep from the top of the tower. At the junction is a small stone building that serves as the switching station.
    MinecartTrackViewfromTower.png

All-in-all pretty humble stuff in the grand scheme of things, but it's really been a pleasure to build. The tracks extend out and bore a tunnel through a mountain to a beautiful valley where I'm making my next home. I also have a great stone hall deep underground where I'm working on my next statue but that project is a doozie and is still in its early stages.

I <3 this game.

Drake Chambers on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I finished my pyramid. I am going to excavate the area around it so I can make it bigger. This is going to take a long time.

Also add me, please.
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197966931194/

Couscous on
  • EstiloEstilo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Good work Drake. Personally I like SP survival stuff more than recreations, and it's nice to still see people posting their efforts!

Estilo on
  • BurguBurgu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So what's a guy gotta do to get a steam invite?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Burgu/home

Burgu on
    edited October 2010

Yeah, I'm actually going to go for a run down look for all my stuff, so I think starting with just a foot would work.

Though I really want to get the hand up in the "stop" position, to scare people off of the continent with Zeal.

I think I actually have a half-competent foot now. It's by the bay north of Zeal (which I surrounded with torches) if anyone would like to give me some input.

gjaustin on
    edited October 2010
    Super Mario Bros. texture skin:
    1ycupg5b.png

2v9ripsq.png

rbmipe62.png

mcj48nar.png

I thought it was funny.

Found it here:

http://www.worldofminecraft.com/node/4520

samurai6966 on
  • EstiloEstilo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah... when this game goes beta and people start modding the hell out of it.... goin' places!

Estilo on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    *snip*
    I thought it was funny.

Found it here:

I approve. Metroid skin exist yet?

Tamin on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is there any easy way to find caves in relation to your shit using the cartograph program?

Couscous on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Estilo wrote: »
    Good work Drake. Personally I like SP survival stuff more than recreations, and it's nice to still see people posting their efforts!
    I agree. The artwork stuff is impressive too, but I'd much rather see someone's original creations of houses, forts, caves, etc.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Blah, Minecraft crashes, and Minecraft.net is down. Not. Fair.

Mvrck on
    edited October 2010
    Tamin wrote: »
    *snip*
    I thought it was funny.

Found it here:

I approve. Metroid skin exist yet?

http://www.worldofminecraft.com/node/8619

No picture of it but it does have the texture data on it.

samurai6966 on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    HD Screens of Columbia under spoiler...
    Columbia_N_Below.jpg

Columbia_N_Top1.jpg

Columbia_N_Top2.jpg

Columbia_N_Top3.jpg

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Mobile-DMobile-D Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    About to get started on my gigantic 4-story maze.
    shot3i.jpg

I ask again: is there a way to back up save files in case I want to use this base to make multiple mazes?

Mobile-D on
  • Yellow RangerYellow Ranger Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    pentium166 wrote: »
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    Fear the power of the Cactus God
    Wow at that orca by Rapture.

Just wanted to say this. Very nice.

Yellow Ranger on
    sigcx.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Ein on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i thought you weren't supposed to start a new thread until the old one was locked

Raneados on
  • nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hey guess what is on fire guys?
    The underdark.

Like a lot of it.

Also minecraft.net is down and I forgot to adjust my draw settings.

rassemfrassem.

Also looks like greifing cause multiple groups of trees are burning, I mean ones that aren't touching each other.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
This discussion has been closed.