As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy 14: Where crafting is half the battle! [FFXIV crafting]

• Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Akira wrote: »
    I hear crafting sucks now, C/D?

how so? are sucess rates like super low now?

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • a puddlea puddle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's gotten pretty ridiculous. Some people say it hasn't changed for them, but I'm getting 1/10 successes for things that were 10/10 successes yesterday.

Edit: They claim to have increased the durability loss for Rapid Synthesis and they certainly have. You can lose up to 25 durability for failing Rapid.

They also claim that they've reduced the durability loss for Standard Synthesis and this is a lying lie they have lied out of their lie holes because you can lose up to 25 durability for failing Standard.

a puddle on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So basically they made crafting like 30x harder?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited September 2010
    well shit.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Good thing they made their incredibly tedious and random system hard to do as well.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It is easier to do easy synths and much more difficult to do harder synths now.

Standard is the new Rapid, Rapid is good for starting out to get ahead of the game, or trying to bail yourself out of a tough spot if you are behind the game and want to risk it. Bold remains only good if you are trying to burn through durability to boost quality.

Rapid is no longer "LOL Rapid faceroll win" on most synths.

If you are having difficulty focus more on using standard. Also it is very important to get some crafting gear and upgrade your crafting tools as much as you can, it makes you fail synths less often which in turn makes crafting much much more successful.

Keep in mind Standard has a higher success rate than rapid does which is why using rapid now is such a source of frustration. Also you can get no durability loss on some successful standard synths while no durability loss on successful rapid synths is much more rare.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
    edited September 2010
    It will be a lot more difficult and a lot more time consuming to get your synth job up to a high rank now.

Fortunately a lot of people have ranked up a great deal so they can help by producing better tools/equipment to boost synthesis stats.

But it was already difficult enough considering you need r21 items to make some r11 tools.

It's not impossible to craft things. I've been able to improve my success rate, but it is certainly harder to create the same items I was creating yesterday.

a puddle on
    edited September 2010
    gah i still dont have my upgraded hammer, seig was having a hard time with it last two days so i guess this will make it even harder for him.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • SquallSeeD31SquallSeeD31 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Has anyone tried deviating from the recipes posted on Lodestone?

For example, using Maple or Willow Lumber instead of Ash to make a Pickaxe Shaft? And then if that works, subsequently using a Maple or Willow Pickaxe Shaft to make a Bronze Pickaxe?

Which then raises the question, would a Bronze Pickaxe made with Ash be different from a Bronze Pickaxe made of Maple?

I made similar tries to that during the beta to no avail.

It's not enough for me to call it definitively busted, but it's certainly not something they're making easier. I did specifically try substituting Bronze for Iron nails in the Bronze Saw recipe, figuring that it simply /had/ to be a typo that a r21 synth was required for a bronze weapon, but nope, that's correct. :P

Attention everybody else: I can break your Crystals into 16 Shards with anywhere from 70~90% accuracy depending on the element. All it costs you is the crystal and 1 Fine Sand (purchaseable from any Alchemy vendor for ~350 gil or synthed from 6x Sea or River Sand by Goldsmiths). If you prefer expedience to accuracy, I can equip Hasty Hand and knock out a synth in 30 seconds easy.

Also attention: I make Dye. Don't buy Dye; buy stuff to make dye and bring it to me. I have Linseed Oil, I have Alumen, I need the Dyer's Moss or Lac Bugs or Scale Bugs.

Also also attention: I can make Fish Glue, but I don't have the fish. Don't ask if someone can make Fish Glue; that's easy and lots of people can. Ask if someone has the fish for fish glue. In fact ask April Moon that.

SquallSeeD31 on
    FFXIV: Alchemy Stuff Character:
    8229_48d6215903dff562.png
    edited October 2010
    I can officially make Brimstone successfully now. So whoever needed it just let me know when you want me to make it and i'll craft it up for you.

4 Pyrite + 1 Fire Crystal = 1 Pinch of Brimstone

And from what I understand we need this for Rubber Soles?

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • DefenestratorDefenestrator Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bros, I am thinking about making a linkshell specifically for collaboration of crafters and exchange of goods. Is this a good idea y/n?

Defenestrator on
    edited October 2010
    Bros, I am thinking about making a linkshell specifically for collaboration of crafters and exchange of goods. Is this a good idea y/n?

It would be if you could type in multiple LSs at once.

Akira on
    akira.gif
    edited October 2010
    One of the first things I did after getting my sack for WANG was create a crafting-oriented linkshell.

I then immediately realized that it's rather pointless because discussions in there would be not much faster paced than forums discussions. Forums discussions have the ability to be a little more structured anyway. That is superior to the somewhat inconvenient LS.

a puddle on
  • DefenestratorDefenestrator Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I did not know one could not switch back and forth between the shells. Carry on.

Defenestrator on
    edited October 2010
    I did not know one could not switch back and forth between the shells. Carry on.

You can actually. And you can see everything everyone in all of your shells is saying without having them equipped. You can only respond in the one you have equipped though.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • SquallSeeD31SquallSeeD31 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I can officially make Brimstone successfully now. So whoever needed it just let me know when you want me to make it and i'll craft it up for you.

4 Pyrite + 1 Fire Crystal = 1 Pinch of Brimstone

And from what I understand we need this for Rubber Soles?

Yes, I need Brimstone for Rubber for Rubber Soles for Zeph to make shoes.

I had you try it before when you were I want to say 11 or 12 GS and the results were catastrophic, but I think I have at least 8 more Pyrite. Maybe our dedicated miners will have more, or I can go out farming later.

Also, seriously, 1 pinch per synth? It was 8 in the beta... =/

Even if that is the case, and assuming no failures, we can get 6 Rubber Soles out of my 8 Pyrite, which should be enough to at least get us started.

SquallSeeD31 on
    FFXIV: Alchemy Stuff Character:
    8229_48d6215903dff562.png
    edited October 2010
    I can do it pretty reliably at the moment. Especially if any of the pyrite is +1 or +2 that helps alot.

I'm off for tonight but i'll be on tomorrow if you want to give it a shot.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
    edited October 2010

You can actually. And you can see everything everyone in all of your shells is saying without having them equipped. You can only respond in the one you have equipped though.

Yeah, this just makes it really tedious to do any kind of multi-shell communication. Forum threads are probably easier overall.

a puddle on
  • SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think I've got a stack or three of pyrite. And a couple of +x pyrite as well.

Sigtyr on
  • useruser Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am very pleased by your guy's progress in Goldsmithing. Moreover I am glad everyone is advancing their craftskills at such a great clip. I'll do my best to stay current on my LW!

I'd like to have a new bow crafted, as now that I am r18 my Maple Longbow is becoming a bit of a bottleneck. I need the following items if you guys would be so kind:

Hempen Bowstring
    Willow Branch
    Yew Lumber or Yew Log

user on
    edited October 2010
    Achievement unlocked: Rank 10 or above in all Disciple of the Hand skills.

The real Demons' Soul's starts here.

a puddle on
    edited October 2010
    Is this the right place to ask for crafting gear? I'm just getting started, but the impression I get is that I need some gear to make me a better crafter. What should I be trying to harvest hardcore in order to bribe someone into making me whatever crafting gear I need to start with?

Darkewolfe on
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Is this the right place to ask for crafting gear? I'm just getting started, but the impression I get is that I need some gear to make me a better crafter. What should I be trying to harvest hardcore in order to bribe someone into making me whatever crafting gear I need to start with?

Wind Shards are pretty much a one way ticket into any crafter's pants.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    edited October 2010
    Most crafting equipment you would actually be able to afford to buy if you do your leves for a few days and spend some time browsing retainers.

A lot of people don't know how much they should charge so occasionally you'll find someone charging like 10k for an item that would reasonably sell for 75-100k.

a puddle on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I want to make leather armor. dunno if I should bother picking up armorsmith just for buckles. is there any vital component armormaking needs that leatherworker could make for a 1:1 trade?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    user wrote: »
    I am very pleased by your guy's progress in Goldsmithing. Moreover I am glad everyone is advancing their craftskills at such a great clip. I'll do my best to stay current on my LW!

I'd like to have a new bow crafted, as now that I am r18 my Maple Longbow is becoming a bit of a bottleneck. I need the following items if you guys would be so kind:

Hempen Bowstring
    Willow Branch
    Yew Lumber or Yew Log

I can make the bow string for you. I'll knock it out when I get on later tonight. I'm going to be asking for the same thing eventually, but I'm only r12 so it's not a big deal yet.

EDIT - I think I might head to LL tonight and switch to a level 1 job and go hunting for rat fur mats. If you could synth them for me that would be rad. I'm making Hempen Shirts, so if anyone wants one just let me know.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
    edited October 2010
    Wren wrote: »
    I want to make leather armor. dunno if I should bother picking up armorsmith just for buckles. is there any vital component armormaking needs that leatherworker could make for a 1:1 trade?

You're much better off just asking an Armorsmith, all the buckles have pretty low material cost (and if you need Bronze ones I have like a million). For trade you could probably give leather, leather straps or certain specialized leather components like Sheep Leather Inner Mitts (or just shards).

Akira on
    akira.gif
    edited October 2010
    I currently have one pinch. I'll be making another 2 tonight with the mats I currently have. Also great news the navy blocked penny arcade with websense so yay. I'll be on a lot less.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • TreTre Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just wanted to throw out there that I'll be working focusing on weaving and alchemy on the crafting front. I'm only rank 7 and 8 respectively, but I'm working on both daily. Let me know if you need something made and I'll see if I can make it.

For you adventurers, I appreciate any shards thrown my way. Wind shards is obviously the big one, but I could use water too.

Delphi, I've got some Pyrite I can send in your direction. I'll let you have em next time I'm on.

Tre on
    edited October 2010
    If anyone comes across a fishing pole upgrade I could sure use it. The Willow Fishing Rod would be nice, but I can't confirm that it's in retail. It was a r10 leve reward in beta. The craftable one below that is the Ash Fishing Rod, which would still be an improvement.

Last night was the first unfun experience I've had in FFXIV, an hour spent fishing spots that used to be good that I was having zero luck on. I'm hoping a new rod will help out. Luckily, I got some LW stuff from Ex and crafted my first piece of wearable gear, so the evening ended on a high note.

AtomBomb on
    edited October 2010
    a puddle wrote: »
    Most crafting equipment you would actually be able to afford to buy if you do your leves for a few days and spend some time browsing retainers.

A lot of people don't know how much they should charge so occasionally you'll find someone charging like 10k for an item that would reasonably sell for 75-100k.

This could be true, but I also have no idea what I should pay. Or even what items I should be trying to buy to begin with.

Or even whether I need items at level 1 as a crafter, or if it's level 6, or 10.

I am deficient on all levels of information.

Darkewolfe on
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I am deficient on all levels of information.

That seems to be about SOP for this game.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    edited October 2010
    Up until level 10, you should be fine with just the starter tools. Once you get to that point, start looking for upgrades. Of course, if you see a +1 tool for 1,000g along the way you should buy that shit up (and give it to me).

AtomBomb on
    edited October 2010
    The dev team answers questions on crafting! http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=5542db352bb764087916b9d9200acf78650edf81

Seems we were pretty damned close in our theories.

This is a MUST READ for any crafters.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
    edited October 2010
    Good stuff :) I'm glad that the dev team is putting these together.

I know that we won't get a guide anytime soon, but I was just thinking that a spiral bound recipe book would be really great.

AtomBomb on
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Greg USN wrote: »
    Hey Gally, could you make me some caster jewelry? Let me know what that would entail.

how about a pair of these? and 4 bone rings? I have an old bone ring +1 (or i should at least) Don't worry about the materials, ill fund that but I could really use a restock of the crystals at a minium 9ea for the wrist gaurds and 4ea for the rings. so a total of 34. More would be nice if ya got them though hehe.

Let me know if you like them and i'll work on them during my lunch break.

Also, for pickup ill be in Ul'dah tonight @ 8PM PDT tonight but only for a little bit. Got plans with the wife later this evening.

I'd love some things like this, if possible.
    I can pay for mats if needed.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • jdmichaljdmichal Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I have it on the spreadsheet but since no one uses that yet... Can anyone make me a Bronze War Axe and/or a Bronze Pick Axe? I needs them for the maiming and the mining.

Willing to pay in whatever I have in my inventory at the time.

jdmichal on
    XBox Live: KillerCodeMonky | Steam: KillerCodeMonky
    SC2: KillerCodeMk | LoL: KillerCodeMonky | FFXIV: Shea Demvas (Sargantas)
    Ghost in the Linkshell Item Requisitioning
    Let me know you are from PA, otherwise I will likely ignore you.
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I need more lightning shards; the basic weaver one uses EIGHT per craft. :-/
    I can get my crafting up through the leves, but not nearly enough.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
    edited October 2010
    You can make a lot of weaver stuff with earth shards, which might be worth switching to if you're just trying to level. Weaving uses tons of shards though. I think if I add up all the shards I have to use to make 1 shirt it would be around 50 o.O

AtomBomb on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't mind in concept that making durable items (durable meaning as opposed to limited use consumables) is time and resource intensive. It keeps the market from being flooded so easily with crap that crafters use to skill up on.

I have seen it happen in other games, like SWG, where people who just want to level as a crafter for whatever reason make tons of whatever is simple in construction and release it on the market for a song.

It is so destructive to economies.

If you are going to make a million of whatever, make it something that is single use so that they quickly leave the market.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.