As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

IE9 Public Beta now open and it's crazy fast!

2»

• Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So uh, is there an ad-blocker for IE9? If so, where do I get it because it beats the fuck out of me right now...

Also, did they just completely nip the bookmark bar? I know you can pin things to your Windows 7 toolbar, but I'd very much like to have browser bookmarks too.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The favorites/bookmark bar is still around, just hidden by default. Right-click on the top bar and enable it.

Not sure about ad-blocking options for IE9. Quote possible that there's nothing available as of yet, it's only been in open beta for a short time so far...

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So, initial observations. The tabs can be a bit tricky to tear, stick back together, and move around. It can be smooth, but othertimes, fickle. Chrome wins in this regard.

Also, for whatever silly reason, the folks at IE thought it would be nice to reserve an entire 3rd or so of the brower for just the minimize, window, and close button. Seriously, there is nothing in that bar!? So why not put tabs up there or something?

Also, the bookmarks are sadly still a mess. You cannot remove all the lettering from a bookmark's name like you could in Chrome, which resulted in the Favicon resting on your bar. I think that is far more attractive than an icon and text or just text.

As far as speed goes, I am not noticing any changes. Both are fast for me.

And compatability seems a bit off. Some websites have that little torn page icon in the address bar showing that something isn't loading quite alright, but everything seems to look and work just fine from what I have seen.

I'll keep toying with it. There are some things I'd really like to see reworked but probably won't, and there is still a lot of roots and menus that are largely copied and pasted from previous IEs, but IE9 is the modern refresh that MS was looking for. Hopefully we can start burrying some of these older versions that could barely stand on their own two legs.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ok, here is an Ad Blocker that I use for IE, I'll add it to the op.

http://simple-adblock.com/

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    IE7pro used to be awesome for adblocking and everything else, but glancing at the site and the fact that spammers have taken over their forums I am guessing the project is dead

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    IE7 pro isn't dead but it doesn't have the support it used to. Whoever was in charge of the forums did not pass on the torch.

I'm using it for spell check & a few minor features. I have most everything disabled since it seems to mess with IE9 or is no longer useful.

If someone knows of a free spell checker for IE besides IE Spell I would appreciate dropping a line.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    IE7 pro isn't dead but it doesn't have the support it used to. Whoever was in charge of the forums did not pass on the torch.

I'm using it for spell check & a few minor features. I have most everything disabled since it seems to mess with IE9 or is no longer useful.

If someone knows of a free spell checker for IE besides IE Spell I would appreciate dropping a line.

google toolbar has one

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    FalkenFalken Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Microsoft.

Yeah I think we can all just switch to another OS or something now? I mean they just insist on being this bizare quasi-commodore except with a) no good products, and b) money.

Falken on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I have no idea what relationship your link has with your post. Care to elaborate?

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I suppose you could click it and read the words within. I've heard that helps.

Falken on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Sorry, your posting of a Q&A between Reddit and the IE9 team still doesn't make me wanna switch to Linux or complain about dirty corporations with their money and harglbargle.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Alrighty guys, I've got my fill of IE9, having used it for several days. There are just some things that nip at me that make me want to stick to Chrome.

First, the interface is refreshing, until you have to pop open the hood, at which point, it is the same ole interface. Also, the lack of any ad-blockers or addons and such for it at the moment is disappointing but it is a beta so I don't think this one counts. Next, there are just some general flow and useability issues that hitch me and slow me down.

For instance, if I find a neato image, I can right click it, get the URL and link to it in Chrome. In IE, it doesn't give that option for some strange reason. One feature I did like about Firefox that is not in Chrome or IE9 is that when I right click something, I can open up properties and find out how large something is- like if I am wondering if a picture I am posting may be too large to streamline and maybe I should link to it...

But that all being said, good stuff. I'd give it a 7.5/10. It does its job and I don't think MS is counting on IE9 to be some huge revolution for the web, they are just trying to future proof their Browser which it does that and has some spiffy UI changes that come along for the ride.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Sorry, your posting of a Q&A between Reddit and the IE9 team still doesn't make me wanna switch to Linux or complain about dirty corporations with their money and harglbargle.

Okay, did you miss the part where it wasn't "the IE9 team"?

You probably did.

Because you didn't read it.

Oh well.

Falken on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Falken wrote: »

You probably did.

Oh well.

Weird, the Microsoft I know made Windows 7, which is my favorite OS ever.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Falken wrote: »

You probably did.

Oh well.

I read it twice.

Looking at some of the comments, this is some bullshit about feeling entitled to different answers or whatever? Still failing to want to switch to Linux.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Whilst the idea of getting serious technical questions and bug reports answered by a marketing drone who also apparently hasn't even read the question is quite annoying, I'm also not getting the blind rage myself.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Whilst the idea of getting serious technical questions and bug reports answered by a marketing drone who also apparently hasn't even read the question is quite annoying, I'm also not getting the blind rage myself.

I would probably be ragin' too, like 18 years ago.
    I was super ragin' when I was 15. The man was keeping me down and shit.

Now I'm just happy I can play hundreds of awesome games on Win7.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Still failing to want to switch to Linux.

Who mentioned linux again?

Falken on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Also, for whatever silly reason, the folks at IE thought it would be nice to reserve an entire 3rd or so of the brower for just the minimize, window, and close button. Seriously, there is nothing in that bar!? So why not put tabs up there or something?

That's the UI convention for Windows. That bar is where you click and drag to move the window around. When there's crap up there, you can't do that anymore.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Is hardware acceleration a good thing for Netbooks?
    I still haven't found my perfect netbook browser.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    RandomEngy wrote: »

That's the UI convention for Windows. That bar is where you click and drag to move the window around. When there's crap up there, you can't do that anymore.

Chrome does that, though - the tabs are on the same level as the minimize, restore down and close buttons. It does mean that you have to grab the little space in between New Tab and Minimize when you have tabs filling the bar and you want to move the window, but it's still doable.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Is hardware acceleration a good thing for Netbooks?
    I still haven't found my perfect netbook browser.

Yes, jf your netbook has a good GPU then it's a big yes. In 3-6 months when all new netbooks are using Intel's new Atom based on Sandy Bridge tech or AMD's Bobcat then it will be a resounding yes. It will be the same for normal PCs as well. When companies upgrade their work stations to newer CPUs using these hybrid CPU+GPUs from Intel & AMD it will be nicer for everyone.

Remember IE9 is the first browser to not only use the GPU but also accelerates everything in the page. Not just Java Script. So SVG & Canvas elements will be accelerated as well.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    My eeepc has intel gma 450
    or some shit like that.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png