As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MMA X: Captain Guillotine: Fear the man who has practiced one choke 10,000 times

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It would have been awesome if Roop came out carrying a cricket bat.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
    edited October 2010
    Picked Miguel for sub r2. When he was pounding away I was begging him to go for a sub.. thank you for surviving, Charlie!

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

• B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That Mexican got fucked up.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mongolia represent.

doug_grammar on
  • shorttiminshorttimin regular Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What do Cerrone and Varner have against each other? I don't know their history, but damn, they're going at it!

shorttimin on
    edited October 2010
    What do Cerrone and Varner have against each other? I don't know their history, but damn, they're going at it!
    Controversy over an illegal knee in their last fight.

Varner claimed he was hit in the eye and the fight was stopped and immediately went to decision, during a time when Cerrone was rocking Varner. Varner won by split decision.

Cerrone then said he hopes to kill Varner in the cage.

edited October 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    Controversy over an illegal knee in their last fight.

Varner claimed he was hit in the eye and the fight was stopped and immediately went to decision, during a time when Cerrone was rocking Varner. Varner won by split decision.

Cerrone then said he hopes to kill Varner in the cage.

Well. That will do it I guess. They're putting up an exciting fight from it.

shorttimin on
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, I liked what Stephan said in the first round. "They're fighting like they hate each other."

A lot of times you get a feud built up before a fight and then the fight happens and it's just another fight, and usually the guys 'make up' afterward. You could tell in the first round that they legitimately wanted to hurt one another.

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

edited October 2010
    facetious wrote: »
    Yeah, I liked what Stephan said in the first round. "They're fighting like they hate each other."

A lot of times you get a feud built up before a fight and then the fight happens and it's just another fight, and usually the guys 'make up' afterward. You could tell in the first round that they legitimately wanted to hurt one another.
    What's with Varner's shove after the fight was over? Makes him look even more like a bitch, which doesn't help when part of the MMA community already thinks he's a bitch.

At least he didn't pull a Daley.

edited October 2010
    end of the fight
    I'm sure that's going to Cerrone, but it was still funny watching Varner try to push Cerrone.

shorttimin on
    edited October 2010
    It looked like Varner misinterpreted Cerrone's reaction. He went to give five, they kind of missed, Donald turned around with a kind of smirk maybe? and Varner thought he was clowning him, then realised Cowboy was just laughing at their missed handshake and immediately apologised.

That's what it looked like to me anyway. Although Jamie is a prick.

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

edited October 2010
    I know they're effective, but I hope this doesn't turn into another five rounds of leg kicks.

edit: nevermind!

shorttimin on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    That was predictable. Aldo fucking dominated.

JustinSane07 on
  • A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So goddamn explosive.

A Half Eaten Oreo on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    yessss

called that fight perfectly
    aldo is fucking SCARY good

Organichu on
    edited October 2010
    Aldo is fucking scary. I don't know how anyone can last 25 minutes with him - he can end the fight in a fucking second.

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

edited October 2010
    That was a rape. We have just witnessed a live rape on live television.

doug_grammar on
    edited October 2010
    Aldo has become such a patient champion.

So dangerous.

• adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    WEC was preempted by football.

I just got to watch the first 3 minutes of Aldo / Manvel.. and nothing else.

God damnit.

adytum on
    edited October 2010
    Overall that was a great set of fights. I went 10/11 on the fight calls.

Chad George you look like a neo nazi, why can't you win a fight?

Actually I'm confused. MMAPlayground is showing me two different sets of picks.

And one of them has Chan Sung Jung for a first round submission.

I.. I don't think I chose that.

adytum on
    edited October 2010
    It doesn't like Organichu made picks for the event....?

I don't want to win on a technicality. :(

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

edited October 2010
    Organichu had already won when Frank Mir won by TKO over Mirko CroCop. I think he's content enough.

doug_grammar on
    edited October 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    Overall that was a great set of fights. I went 10/11 on the fight calls.

Chad George you look like a neo nazi, why can't you win a fight?

Actually I'm confused. MMAPlayground is showing me two different sets of picks.

And one of them has Chan Sung Jung for a first round submission.

I.. I don't think I chose that.
    I didn't, and I somehow tied with you for first. :P

The first column is your picks. The second column is the true results.

edited October 2010
    Also I'd like to point out I have the highest 'win percentage' (i.e. correctly picked winners, regardless of round/method) in the team.

Because I am awesome.

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

edited October 2010
    wat

i made pics

picksA.png

picksB.png

i went seven for eleven, though it sounds like you won anyway

dang

thought i had a good night

Organichu on
    edited October 2010
    oh

haha

how bizarre

for some reason my picks took as 'lady-moon'

no idea what the fuck happened there

either way i lost 61 to 53

Organichu on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    Aldo has become such a patient champion.

So dangerous.

He even backed off when Manny got poked in the eye, while Dean was saying to fight. If I did rankings, I'd be pretty tempted to put him #1 P4P. About the only flaw I see is he can't stick the landing on his celebratory backflip.

BubbaT on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Aldo seems to be on another level compared to the other guys in his division. I mean, he's run right through all challengers. I still wonder if he can make it to lightweight, just so he can enter the UFC and take on guys like Frankie Edgar. I'd love to see that

I am sad to see the Zombie decapitated, but that was a very nice highkick from Roop.

Also, good to see a chinese guy entering an American organization. We don't get too many of them, even though they have a very developed national MMA scene.

Overall, this card was awesome. I just wanted more when it was over :lol:

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Played the demo for EA MMA. A few things.

1. Bobby Lashley's AI can die in a fire. He literally didn't throw one strike while standing he just went "takedown, takedown takedown takedown" over and over. I'm glad I got Overeem to Kimura his stupid arm. I wish there was a way to actualy break it in the game. Seriously fuck you Bobby Lashley AI.

2. I don't really like the 'total control' stick movement punching/kicking system but that's just because I've played 20 years of Street Fighter/Guilty Gear/Marvel Vs. Capcom/etc etc etc and my brain can't handle "Right thumb half circle up plus left trigger = High Kick"

3. I really liked how they showed you how to play the game. Especially when they said (Multiple times) "Don't button mash stupid!" However this, once again, goes against my default new fighting game system of:

HOLY SHIT BUTTON SPAZ
    AHHHHHH!!!
    MASH MASH MASH!!!
    AHHHH FUCK YOU AHHHHH!
    MASH MASH!
    DP+P HADOKEN! HADOKEN! DP+P

Which has worked well the first time I've played just about every fighting game ever, just not EA MMA. Which I guess is nice but it would take me a while to get out of that mode of thinking.

4. The announcer blows goats, I hate that guy. Going from Bruce Buffer to that guy is like going from drinking a cold glass of crystal clear water to drinking a glass of warm aquarium water from a tank you never clean. I'm sure going from Joe Rogan to whoever does the announcing in this game will be even more traumatic, I wish I was rich so I could mute the sound pay Joe Rogan to come over and do commentary.

5. I have no idea what it takes to knock someone out in this game. None. I know that the flash KOs in UFC were kinda unrealistic (Well apparently not since Korean Zombie got shut the fuck off last night, fuck I'm still pissed about that, fucking MMA) but fuck I rocked Lashley like 3 times with Overeem punches/kicks and could find no way how to finish the fight. I just kept winning by Kimora.

6. When I played as Mayhem I got Shields into a Triangle choke. Which was cool. Except they gave no hints what I had to do to submit him. I wildly flailed on the Left Stick for a while and I think I understood the mini game but a little direction would be nice. I did get Shiled’s to tap though so that was nice.

7. Overall it was pretty fun, I want to know more about the Create A Fighter/Carrer mode before I make a purchase. Since that is my favorite way to play a 'realistic' fighter, the online modes look awesome, I like the belt modes and the create a fight card modes. That seems interesting.

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
    edited October 2010
    Mmaplayground is glitching. My actual picks were "Currie's". I'll have to figure out who's who later.

I knew I didn't pick Korean Zombie or Leonard Garcia. Seriously, screw those guys.
    Just kidding Jared. :P

adytum on
    edited October 2010
    Mmaplayground is glitching. My actual picks were "Currie's". I'll have to figure out who's who later.

I knew I didn't pick Korean Zombie or Leonard Garcia. Seriously, screw those guys.
    Just kidding Jared. :P

:P I'll give Zombie this, that was like a real good looking ragdoll KO. Like textbook. You're awesome even in spectacular defeat Korean Zombie.

Also updated the threat title Quote courtesy of B:L :

MMA X: WEC 51: Zombies only have one weakness. Headshots. Also: GSP Jedi Mind Tricks

Metal Jared on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Regarding last TUF episode, I think this quote from one of the guys in the house sums up the differences in the training styles and mentality of GSP and Koscheck:

Training smarter vs. training harder

Next up, you saw our training sessions with Gia Sissaouri. Gia was born in Tbilisi, Georgia, but he eventually wrestled for the Canadian Olympic team and won a silver medal in the 1996 Olympic Games. Training with him was great. To be able to drill with a guy at that level and seeing what that feels like is amazing. None of us could ever hope to be that good at wrestling, but it was amazing and very, very humbling to roll with Gia.

At one point, I was kind of down on the mat, and he was on my back, and I just kind of slapped the mat out of frustration. In a five-minute go, I swear he took me down like 15 times. I felt like my takedown defense was decent. I didn't think I could stop him, but I thought maybe I could limit it to five or six takedowns. Nope. There's no stopping the guy. He tossed us around.

Meanwhile, Josh Koscheck's team looked to be having a few sub-par practices. I don't think that was due to lack of effort from his team. Word was kind of getting around the house that Team Koscheck was just training too hard. They said Koscheck was running practice like an old-school wrestling-type philosophy where everyday, it's the harder, the better. The guys were just feeling beat up. They know they have to fight potentially four times in six weeks, and they don't expect to beat their bodies up that bad.

I feel like we were training pretty smart. We still trained very hard, but we did it in a smart manner. We didn't lift weights once the entire time we were there. We made sure we weren't tearing up our bodies. It's one of those things where you're not going to get that much stronger in a couple of weeks – and definitely not to where the strength is going to be a factor in the fight – so we really focused a lot on technique.

Half of the class or more would be spent on technique. We would spar in the mornings and spend time on our striking. At night, we would focus more the grappling and wrestling. But it was never to the point where we were feeling too beat up and getting injured. This kept our morale high. That was Georges St-Pierre's style, and in fact, I'm not even sure if cameras were around when this happened, but we actually found out his secret to success.

Finally, Georges' secret

During practice, we trained very hard, and everything was serious. But before and after training, Georges and assistant coach John Danaher had a relaxed style and great sense of humor. At one of our first few practices, we were sitting around waiting to start training. We were still getting to know the coaches, and we had only trained a couple of times. John comes in looking very serious, and he says he has something important to tell us.

"Guys, guys, I have something very important to tell you," John said. "I really feel like I haven't been honest with you guys about Georges' training and what the real secret of his training is. I feel like I owe it to you guys to tell you what that is."

He goes over to his duffle bag, and he reaches in there and pulls out a Shake Weight.

We had all been dead serious wondering what he was going to pull out of there, and he pulled out that Shake Weight and started doing some obscene gestures with it. We seriously could not stop laughing.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Regarding last TUF episode, I think this quote from one of the guys in the house sums up the differences in the training styles and mentality of GSP and Koscheck:
    Training smarter vs. training harder

Next up, you saw our training sessions with Gia Sissaouri. Gia was born in Tbilisi, Georgia, but he eventually wrestled for the Canadian Olympic team and won a silver medal in the 1996 Olympic Games. Training with him was great. To be able to drill with a guy at that level and seeing what that feels like is amazing. None of us could ever hope to be that good at wrestling, but it was amazing and very, very humbling to roll with Gia.

At one point, I was kind of down on the mat, and he was on my back, and I just kind of slapped the mat out of frustration. In a five-minute go, I swear he took me down like 15 times. I felt like my takedown defense was decent. I didn't think I could stop him, but I thought maybe I could limit it to five or six takedowns. Nope. There's no stopping the guy. He tossed us around.

Meanwhile, Josh Koscheck's team looked to be having a few sub-par practices. I don't think that was due to lack of effort from his team. Word was kind of getting around the house that Team Koscheck was just training too hard. They said Koscheck was running practice like an old-school wrestling-type philosophy where everyday, it's the harder, the better. The guys were just feeling beat up. They know they have to fight potentially four times in six weeks, and they don't expect to beat their bodies up that bad.

I feel like we were training pretty smart. We still trained very hard, but we did it in a smart manner. We didn't lift weights once the entire time we were there. We made sure we weren't tearing up our bodies. It's one of those things where you're not going to get that much stronger in a couple of weeks – and definitely not to where the strength is going to be a factor in the fight – so we really focused a lot on technique.

Half of the class or more would be spent on technique. We would spar in the mornings and spend time on our striking. At night, we would focus more the grappling and wrestling. But it was never to the point where we were feeling too beat up and getting injured. This kept our morale high. That was Georges St-Pierre's style, and in fact, I'm not even sure if cameras were around when this happened, but we actually found out his secret to success.

Finally, Georges' secret

During practice, we trained very hard, and everything was serious. But before and after training, Georges and assistant coach John Danaher had a relaxed style and great sense of humor. At one of our first few practices, we were sitting around waiting to start training. We were still getting to know the coaches, and we had only trained a couple of times. John comes in looking very serious, and he says he has something important to tell us.

"Guys, guys, I have something very important to tell you," John said. "I really feel like I haven't been honest with you guys about Georges' training and what the real secret of his training is. I feel like I owe it to you guys to tell you what that is."

He goes over to his duffle bag, and he reaches in there and pulls out a Shake Weight.

We had all been dead serious wondering what he was going to pull out of there, and he pulled out that Shake Weight and started doing some obscene gestures with it. We seriously could not stop laughing.

Man I really feel bad for team Kos now.

Also: Shake Weights? Hillarious

Metal Jared on
    edited October 2010
    There were shake weight ads during WEC last night.

They should get GSP to shill for them.

adytum on
    edited October 2010
    Here's the real listings
    01 66 adytum Zzulu
    01 66 Currie Adytum
    01 66 submission_machine B:L
    01 66 King_Kongo Mercy_XXVI
    05 61 Chagrin Chagrin
    06 59 haraldorodruigez 815165
    07 57 sportzboytjw half eaten oreo
    08 53 lady-moon Organichu
    09 38 E-train TehSpectre
    10 37 Jackonfire SweeneyTom
    11 30 Snarfmaster metaljared
    12 29 Ratagricick Star
    13 5 reedlyHycle Barbatus

Let me know if anyone notices any mistakes and I'll update PAFC later this afternoon.

I'm also calling out Zzulu as the individual that chose Korean Zombie for a first round submission. :lol:

adytum on
    edited October 2010
    Here's the real listings
    01 66 adytum Zzulu
    01 66 Currie Adytum
    05 61 Chagrin Chagrin
    09 38 E-train TehSpectre
    12 29 Ratagricick Star

Let me know if anyone notices any mistakes and I'll update PAFC later this afternoon.

I'm also calling out Zzulu as the individual that chose Korean Zombie for a first round submission. :lol:

Woooo! I won by default!

DE-FAULT
    DE-FAULT
    DE-FAULT

Metal Jared on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wow, my WEC picks ended up being pretty goddamn good. I wish I could have seen the event! Also this weeks TUF was pretty good. That Mike Johnson guy's situational awareness is top notch. Really needs to do some work off his back, though.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • BarbatusBarbatus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Here's the real listings
    01 66 adytum Zzulu
    01 66 Currie Adytum
    05 61 Chagrin Chagrin
    09 38 E-train TehSpectre
    12 29 Ratagricick Star

That's weird. I'm pretty sure I didn't make any picks for that event, unless I clicked by accident or something. At least I got 100% of my picks right, though.

Barbatus on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    That WEC show fun. Aldo and KZ were the only two guys I had ever heard of but man those guys beat the shit out of each other. Especially the mexican guy that lost by split.

JustinSane07 on
    edited October 2010
    You can go to http://www.mmaplayground.com/league2/fight-companion.aspx to confirm your pick(s) if you need to!

adytum on