As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Collectible/trading cards at PAX?

flatlineflatline Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in PAX Archive
So I tried searching the forums, but "cards" and "PAX" turn up way too many results ranging from NVIDIA to Magic:TG. Obviously my simian brain is too small to figure out the proper modifiers to get the results I want.

Regardless!

I am interested in the whole collectible button/card thing. The only PAX I've been to was last year's PAX East, but I didn't sign up for the forums until after I had a blast there. It's my understanding that buttons are reserved for PAX:Prime, whereas cards were made up for East last year? Is that something that's going to continue? Were there guidelines/common features, or were people free to make up whatever and just print it on some card stock? Is there already a thread on this somewhere you can just point me to? THANKS!

East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
flatline on

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Be patient, it's been less than a month since PAX Prime. Trading cards will happen, but some of us still need a little time before we start the PAX East ball rolling.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    VisionOfClarity on
  • WizMasterWizMaster Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'll definitely be making a card this year. I'm already getting ready for PAX East. I underestimated it this year, I'll be ready for the second one.

WizMaster on
  • gilby123gilby123 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I need to get in on this this time around too.

gilby123 on
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the
    world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples
    of ignorance?" - John Lithgow, 3rd Rock from the Sun
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    WizMaster wrote: »
    I'll definitely be making a card this year. I'm already getting ready for PAX East. I underestimated it this year, I'll be ready for the second one.

Me too. With my daily schedule, I have to start early and take baby steps. I just don't have time to rush around at the end to pull things together between work, school, and volunteer stuff. Looking at using my wife's grad student discount to pick up a legit copy of the photoshop/illustrator cs5 bundle for $300 or so and start up my own card design - I'm assuming that last year's participants will be using the same card numbers, if not taking the same/leftover cards.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    *excited* this was one of my favorite parts about PAX East last year and I can't wait to do it again!

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I liked this idea last year. Give them some time to actually get their tickets and stuff first.

feitocomfruta on
  • NullthreadNullthread Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Can't wait to do this and buttoneering!! I didn't know about buttoneering until PAX itself.

Nullthread on
  • ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nullthread wrote: »
    Can't wait to do this and buttoneering!! I didn't know about buttoneering until PAX itself.

Oh man, it would be so cool if we could do both!

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Flatline, you won't need editing tools to do a card. Last year we had templates and a bunch of volunteers who could help people assemble them. So if you don't want to drop the cash, you just put all the files and text together and get with a forum volunteer who will send you the PSD files.

Then you just order from our printer.

It's pretty simple if you do it step by step.

I'm hoping to get my group to do cards this year. I was the only one who did them last year.

macrogeek on
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Propriety wrote: »

Oh man, it would be so cool if we could do both!

I know there were a couple of people who also did buttons last year but for East we're trying to make it where the trading cards replace buttons.

I still have quite a few cards from last year. Jakprints gave me like 50% more than what I ordered for free. There were some people who ordered 50-100 and got 300+. I think Moe was one of those.

Rdr on
    edited September 2010
    Yes, I still have a ridiculous number of cards left.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Official trading card thread will go up next week. If you're really feeling antsy you can pick out a good picture to put on the card.

PeasantDave on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah I still have a buttload of the 2009 edition.

My first suggestion for 2010 is to alter the card in some way to distinguish it from the previous years.

Goose! on
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Goose! wrote: »
    Yeah I still have a buttload of the 2009 edition.

My first suggestion for 2010 is to alter the card in some way to distinguish it from the previous years.

Ya I think we had some interesting ideas in the Wave. Might have to go look back and see this weekend.

Rdr on
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    May I request a PAX Pokemon league icon? Or is that for the new thread? ;)

Heleor on
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Heleor wrote: »

I believe the icon size was 50 x 50, we will get into the nitty gritty next week. There will be room for a lot of discussion as well.

PeasantDave on
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Heleor wrote: »

I believe the icon size was 50 x 50, we will get into the nitty gritty next week. There will be room for a lot of discussion as well.

Dickwolf Icon Go.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't know if I can make icons again this year, most of my graphic programs seem to not be working for whatever reason.

Goose! on
    edited October 2010
    Actually I think the icon sizes were 100x100

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Goose! If you need help with icons let me know and I'll see what I can do, been dying to really dive into Photoshop anyway!

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
This discussion has been closed.