As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Xander Berk[Chat]ly

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    this girl either has a crush on me or sees me as a gay best friend

I always get these lines blurred

Grab a breast and measure the reaction. Either she will giggle it off or you will be slapped. Draw your conclusions from that.

Done it before. There was no reaction, actually..... it was like "oh, you grabbed my boobs. Ok...."

Tav on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My middle lane is the one I inherited through the whole tradition of being named off a dead family member.

Funny anecdote. So Nathan Lane the actor is really named Joseph Lane, but my great uncle I am named after stage name was Joseph Lane so he didn't use his Jewish last name.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    wait, what's the "children in Africa argument"? I'm not familiar.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    I find the whole "children in Africa" argument to be incredibly racist out of ignorance. It's exactly like saying "think of the poor black people" and assuming all black people are poor. The countries in Africa range from dirt-poor to perfectly modern and industrialized.

I don't think you should be emotionally manipulating your kids either.

Also, eating all the food on your plate is a dumb habit to instill when American portion sizes are generally larger than they should be.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    As if people who bring up "there are others who have it worse" never complain about their own problems. Assholes.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    my aunt still insists on calling 411 or whatever (the one that costs money) when there are the free ones with the ads, and the internet

"it's so fast and convenient, i can't help it"

YOU'RE ON DISABILITY, YOU CAN AFFORD THE MINUTE

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I find the whole "children in Africa" argument to be incredibly racist out of ignorance. It's exactly like saying "think of the poor black people" and assuming all black people are poor. The countries in Africa range from dirt-poor to perfectly modern and industrialized.

Define "perfectly modern and industrialized".

Oh no, I'm not being lured into your trap.

almost got you

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2010

Clean your plate! Think of the starving children in Africa!

Echo on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

South Africa springs to mind. And even then there are plenty of ramshackle huts and subsistence-level situations.
    Daxon wrote: »
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Daxon you are a lovely man who deserves all the kisses.

That's a first on these forums :D

But I've figured out what, precisely, I need right now.

How to Train Your Dragon. Dun't wanna kill my dog on Monday :(

How to Train Your Dragon was surprisingly great. I expected good, but it exceeded my expectations.

Sorry about your dog, though. *hug hug*

Passerbye on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dyr and I are looking forward to Godspeed You! Black Emperor in February. :D:D:D:D:D:D

so jealous

desc on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    this girl either has a crush on me or sees me as a gay best friend

I always get these lines blurred

Grab a breast and measure the reaction. Either she will giggle it off or you will be slapped. Draw your conclusions from that.

Done it before. There was no reaction, actually..... it was like "oh, you grabbed my boobs. Ok...."

Up the ante.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Oh, the one that used to be about Chinese people. I still don't get it. I guess I'm not supposed to?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

Yeah. Africa is actually a really nice country.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Oh no, I'm not being lured into your trap.

almost got you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co38zsAVuUo

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Oh, the one that used to be about Chinese people. I still don't get it. I guess I'm not supposed to?

You're supposed to feel guilty and then stuff your face.

And I find it racist out of ignorance by assuming Africa to be one huge homogenous country.

Echo on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Also, eating all the food on your plate is a dumb habit to instill when American portion sizes are generally larger than they should be.

Cleaning your plate is good - just give smaller portions.

Daxon on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

There's a soap with that name? Huh.

Was, he was on for a couple seasons, ended up retarded in the end I hope to not wind up the same way.

Ohhhh, soap opera. I was about to say, you're getting sudsy on me.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Suppose to guilt you into eating because you can eat it but there are those that can't. Because wasting it is the wrong thing you should do.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

You're supposed to feel guilty and then stuff your face.

And I find it racist out of ignorance by assuming Africa to be one huge homogenous country.
    Especially since Africa is a continent :P

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Daxon wrote: »

Cleaning your plate is good - just give smaller portions.

That's the responsibility of the parents, not the child, though. The child shouldn't be pressured into eating when he or she is no longer hungry.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Suppose to guilt you into eating because you can eat it but there are those that can't. Because wasting it is the wrong thing you should do.

I just make food and then walk by homeless people and drop it in the trash "Well children are starving in africa fuck you homeless person you live in america."

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My name when googled produces only my facebook and blog and maybe old forum posts or something

I am curious about which African nations are more advanced and which are considered to be in deep trouble.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

And so is America.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I want to visit the capital of Africa someday.

Feral on

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I actually encountered the Children In Africa argument the other week.

I was talking about my stomach problems and heard "there are people who have it worse."

Well, no shit. I replied with "When my stomach is acting up, I really don't have time to think about the people who have it worse, because the only thing on my mind is 'I need to go take a shit right the fuck NOW'"

"What you can suffer is the maximum that can be suffered on earth. If you die of starvation, you will suffer all the starvation there has been or will be. If ten thousand people die with you, their participation in your lot will not make you be ten thousand times more hungry nor multiply your agony ten thousand times. Do not let yourself become overcome by the horrible sum of human sufferings; such a sum does not exist. Neither poverty no pain are cumulative."

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    i don't really think that's the implication, echo

it's common knowledge that a plethora of african nations are in squalor and have poor economies, regional conflicts, etc

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I am curious about which African nations are more advanced and which are considered to be in deep trouble.

Hans Rosling has a nice chart with the spread in his TED talk.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    earth-baby.jpg

This reminded me of stories Organichu has told us about that hippie mother he knows.

Feral on

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Feral wrote: »

Ah yes, Africa City. The Big Pomegranate.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I actually encountered the Children In Africa argument the other week.

I was talking about my stomach problems and heard "there are people who have it worse."

Well, no shit. I replied with "When my stomach is acting up, I really don't have time to think about the people who have it worse, because the only thing on my mind is 'I need to go take a shit right the fuck NOW'"

When I was 12, right before I had my appendix taken out (but after my mother made me wait two days to make sure I wasn't 'faking') I was waiting to visit the doctor, hunched completely over in the chair and groaning to myself, when this old nurse comes up to me and says 'Don't be like that, there are kids in Africa worse off than you.' with this sort of condescending smile. I said 'Does knowing that make me feel better?'. He said 'Well, I guess not.' So I responded 'Why the fuck did you tell me then??'. I don't think he was expecting a twiggy little girl to respond that way. :lol:

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Actually finishing your plate/taught to finish you plate later in life no matter the size of the portions. It is better to teach the child to just eat till they are full and then to stop.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Organichu wrote: »

it's common knowledge that a plethora of african nations are in squalor and have poor economies, regional conflicts, etc

That's exactly what I'm saying. African nations, sure. Africa? No.

This is where someone will tell me to stop sperging within three posts.

Echo on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010

and whose fault is that????

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Hans Rosling has a nice chart with the spread in his TED talk.

He's got like four. Which one?

EDIT: You people know abotu google and his charts...? Hold on a sec.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Cleaning your plate is not good. It's a horrible habit that's built as a child, and with portion sizes getting larger and larger over the years it's terrible because your brain just instinctively makes you finish everything in front of you, even if you were dumb enough to super size.

Couple that with the fact that it actually takes like 20 minutes for your stomach to tell your brain that you're full and you end up eating way too much food

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Feral wrote: »

Ah yes, Africa City. The Big Pomegranate.

:lol:

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Actually finishing your plate/taught to finish you plate later in life no matter the size of the portions. It is better to teach the child to just eat till they are full and then to stop.

Its even better because the reward for cleaning your plate is dessert.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

And so is America.

Technically we are two continents. :D

Special.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

So are places in the south, but no one ever says "Eat your beans there are kids dying in alabama."

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Better yet, teach them to only take as much food as they think they'll finish. Thereby reducing waste.

Daxon on
This discussion has been closed.