As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OOC/IC - 4E DnD] Dark Prophecy

AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriumsPlateau of LengRegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in Critical Failures
This is the OOC and general thread for my campaign The Dark Prophecy. We're playing at the same time that Sorrow of Heaven was at and such. You guys know the drill by this point. I am combining my OOC and IC threads now because it's just easier and less hassle to keep everything to one thread. Any objections to this guys?

This game is set in Eberron and should be super awesome. As a general "plot hint" when writing backgrounds, this game is very centralized around the Mournland (an area where a nation was destroyed and turned into a horrible undead filled nightmare) and around Dragonmarks and Aberrant marks. The lingering memory of Cyre and the Last War are essential themes!

This game is run with Maptools beta 70 and ventrilo.

Andraos Zakarash - Kalashtar Battlemind - (Defender)
Dain - Human Sentinel Druid - (Leader)
Hajan - Cindersoul Genasi Barbarian - (Striker)
Ryske - Drow Rogue - (Striker)
Dr. Tybalt Ximil - Human Artificer - (Leader)

Grouppicturesmaller.png

Those who fell to the machinations of the prophecy.

Marhu - Hobgoblin Paladin (Defender) - The prophecy had it in for him. Dark Prophecy.
Squinter - Gnome Wizard (Controller) - Had one last final embrace before dying, except she had eight legs and fangs. Dark Prophecy.
Walker - Warforged Assassin (Striker) - Not even fantasy terminator comes back from a crystalline appendage to the chest. Dark Prophecy.

The Glorious Dead list. Characters whom, in any campaign I've run have been permanently killed in gameplay.
Abigail - Half-Elf Avenger (Striker) - Couldn't handle the ocher jellies jelly or the ongoing acid damage. Shipwrecked on the Dark Continent.
Calfrune - Razorclaw Shifter Druid (Controller) - Clubbed to death, literally. Shipwrecked on the Dark Continent.
Drexel - Half-Elf Paladin (Defender) - What happened in the forest stays in the forest. Dark Rain.
DVG - Changeling Bard (Leader) - Eaten alive by Black Dogs and something worse. Artist of Sharn.
Frost - Shifter Runepriest (Leader) - Garroted by a shadow and his soul consumed. May he rest in pieces. Marauders of the Astral Sea.
Fuzzbutt - Minotaur Barbarian (Striker) - Clawed down by a dretch and then ingloriously fried by lightning. Marauders of the Astral Sea.
Marhu - Hobgoblin Paladin (Defender) - The prophecy had it in for him. Dark Prophecy.
Mongoose - Half-Orc Monk (Striker) - On the ground bleeding to death when the constructs sword finished the job by removing his head. Shipwrecked on the Dark Continent.
Squinter - Gnome Wizard (Controller) - Had one last final embrace before dying, except she had eight legs and fangs. Dark Prophecy.
Woshor the Unknown - Genasi Swordmage (Defender) - Figured he could solo a solo, he couldn't and was stuffed into a trap to stop the gas. Tides of Dust.
Walker - Warforged Assassin (Striker) - Not even fantasy terminator comes back from a crystalline appendage to the chest. Dark Prophecy.
Zephan - Human Athasian Minstrel Executioner (Striker) - The anakore's lust for blood overwrote its need for survival and it tore into the fallen man with deadly results. The Builder's Cry.

For your convenience here is a list of my current "houserules" for commentary if you desire.
Coup de Grace
It no longer exists and neither PCs or monsters can perform this action anymore.
Free actions (Problematic and subject to change!)
Free actions at the moment will generally act like immediate reactions to whatever triggered them. Noting the normal rules for immediate actions apply - this does mean they can interrupt multiple attacks though, which is already explicitly something immediate reactions can do. I felt the need to point that clarification out. There are issues with this ruling, because some free actions are actually non-functional as working like immediate interrupts. I haven't thought of a good and clear solution to this yet. So expect this to be updated once I've read a variety of opinions and tried a few things.

Right now a potential rule is that free actions on your own turn are immediate interrupts. For example wand of accuracy can "interrupt" the normal attack order and boost the attack roll at any point - as an immediate reaction you'll realize that wand of accuracy can't work like this. Free actions outside of your turn function like immediate reactions. They need to wait for whatever triggered them to resolve. In either case, a creatures immediate interrupt takes precedence over a free action immediate action, and an immediate reaction beats a free action. In other words, immediate actions are ALWAYS superior to a free action and will always beat their respective free action when reacting to a trigger.

This is just a temporary rule and feedback is more than appreciated. Noting that this ironically is very similar to what wizards came up with.
Free Action Attacks
Class features that grant attacks, like power strike, rage strike and similar do not count against your 1/turn free action attack restriction. Because that is just silly.
Hindering Terrain, Zones and automatic damage effects and saving throws
Hindering Terrain, zones and other things and saves.

So I have been thinking about this for some time now, as it comes up from time to time and I've decided to change my ruling on how terrain, zones and similar work and interact with the saving throw for hindering terrain. After a lot of thought, this is how such things will work in my games from now onwards (This applies to both monsters and PCs - noting that lethal terrain rules are different for PCs than monsters. PCs if they would be killed automatically by say a ridiculous fall of 800+ feet or a black hole of doom terrain feature, get 3 saves - exactly like death saving throws and not a "save or die", which is stupid and not fun for PCs).
When do you get a saving throw?

You get a saving throw any time forced movement would send you into terrain, hazardous zones, traps or similar effects that cause automatic damage or status effects. For example, if you are pushed into a Wall of Fire, you get a saving throw to fall prone at the edge of the Wall before being pushed into it. This is because the wall of fire does automatic damage on the forced movement, so will count as hindering terrain despite being a power. A giant pit will count as well and this is similar for any situation where you are falling off a ledge.

You get multiple saving throws as well for every time you are moved in and out of a dangerous terrain feature, trap or zone. For example you are slid 10 squares into a wall of fire, you fail your save and are slid in to take damage. The power slides you out of the zone and then back in, you get a second save to avoid being forced into the terrain again. As soon as you save you are knocked prone at the edge of the hazard and you cannot be moved any further.

Another example, you are slid into a pool of acid that inflicts 1d8+8 acid damage (I'm making this up off the top of my head btw) on entering a square. You get a save. If you fail and are slid into a second square, if that ALSO inflicts damage you get another save and so on until you save. If you make a save you fall prone in the acid (which isn't probably the best resolution) and go no further. This is an example where every square of movement in the terrain does damage - you get a save for every square of movement that would inflict damage. Noting that if you are pushed 12 into a zone/terrain feature that doesn't do more damage for every square you move if you fail the initial save you can be moved where-ever the creature that did it wants.
Examples

A pit trap that has been exposed and is now a 10 foot deep pit. You get a save before falling in.

A ledge with a long fall.

A wall of fire after the wall has been created (As it inflicts damage when you enter it).

A zone that inflicts automatic damage when you enter the zone.

A river of lava.

Falling into a lake of acid.

Essentially: Will this inflict automatic damage or damage without an attack roll when you enter it? Then it counts as hindering terrain and you get a saving throw.
When don't you get a saving throw?

Monster auras are specifically excluded from this, as well as powers that make a conjuration such as a Flaming sphere (the damage is inflicted on your turn). In the case of a monsters Aura, it never grants a saving throw and in the case of powers, if they do not inflict damage at the time your movement is forced you don't get a saving throw. For example the hidden pit trap above before it is triggered doesn't grant a saving throw, because when the trap is triggered the attack against your reflex is the saving throw. Any trap, zone or terrain that requires an attack roll when you enter it does not grant a saving throw - your "saving throw" is the attack against whatever defense it is attacking. This means you cannot save when being pushed into a zone like grease, that makes an attack against your defense but you will get a saving throw when pushed into a trap/zone that does automatic damage when you are forced into it (Like an exposed pit trap's falling damage or a Wall of Fire).
Examples

A hidden pit trap that will make an attack against your defense upon entering - but after it is exposed see above.

A trap with a non-damaging trigger (like a pressure plate or similar - unless the traps activation would inflict automatic damage and you were aware of the trap).

A zone that inflicts automatic damage at the beginning of your turn, but not when you are pushed into it. Similarly, you get no save if you are pushed into the zone or terrain and it has to attack you for its effect.

Terrain, zones and powers that do not inflict damage when you enter them. This never grants a saving throw, so if a zone would damage you at the beginning of your turn it won't grant a save. The ruling here is meant to deal with stacking large amounts of automatic unpreventable damage with forced movement, for example a shift 12 power that lets you move a monster (Or PC for that matter) through a Wall of fire multiple times stacking up huge amounts of automatic damage. Or pushing something into and out of a zone multiple times that does damage for every square of movement the creature is pushed/slid/pulled through. Similarly for a terrain features that deal damage on entry like a puddle of acid, brimstone hail and a howling wind (all examples from my two current games).

Auras - Special example as a monsters aura never concedes a saving throw. It's an exception.
Summary

Do I get a saving throw?

A) Does it inflict automatic damage without an attack roll on entry or being moved next to it?

B) Is it a terrain feature, a zone, a conjuration or a trap?

If both are yes, then the answer is yes.
Lethal Terrain
Purpose: This is a new terrain type I've made for 4E. It's definition is any terrain that would instantly kill or remove a creature from combat straight away. It actually doesn't affect monsters beyond solos, but it primarily affects PCs. An example of lethal terrain would be an obscenely high drop - EG thousands of feet. This either outright kills a PC or removes them from the fight entirely - neither is very fun!

Effect: PCs and solo monsters - but nobody else unless specified - always have three saving throws before being affected by "lethal" terrain. The example of the drop indicates first a failure to catch yourself before falling, then you end up just "hanging" off the edge. You can take no other actions while in this state except a saving throw. Unlike death saving throws, any successful save means you climb back up, crawl out of whatever it was you were caught in or similar. If you fail three saving throws you're affected by whatever the lethal terrain is and horribly mangled/fall to your doom whatever.

Solo monsters also get the same protection if this is ever actually required (probably rarely).
Levels and Extended Rests
Basically when you level up you automatically get the benefit of an extended rest with it (though this sets any gained action points to 1). This is to keep on adventuring through those long dungeons, even if it seems a bit video gamish. I just like doing this. So there.
6) Campaign Starting Stuff
Loadstone Lure
This power has some curious wording as to how it works. Under one interpretation it can almost act like a melee immobilize as well, if the creature isn't pulled preventing it from moving anywhere at all. After some thought and it appearing not once, but twice in two games and thinking about it the power will be interpreted as such: If the creature is non-adjacent to the battlemind to begin with, it can still move but it must end that move in a square adjacent to the battlemind and each square of movement must take it closer to an adjacent square. This is closer to the intent of the power I feel and means it doesn't get a secondary rider effect - effectively immobilize - that I don't think is originally intended by the power.

5) Campaign Starting Stuff

You can play any race and similar you want from Eberron/FR (Genasi and Drow are legal in Eberron) or any of the PHBs. I don't really mind. Psionics are perfectly acceptable and such forth. Thri-Kreen may be acceptable, depending on my mood.

You have 100 GP of starting gold.

You start in a small Cyrean refugee town called New Cyre within Breland. It seems they are in the height of a festival of some kind....

Any other questions direct them to me and we'll see where we get!

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
Aegeri on

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This post will be reserved for the story post in the thread and similar. I will have this done once I get my writing on later tomorrow.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    This post is reserved for the glorious achievement list, which will again be posted later and once its fully done.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    As of now I'm sticking with the good Doctor.

That would be Doctor Tybalt Augustus Ximil. After discussion with Aegeri, he is a refined Cyrean gentleman (with an American South accent I'm going to have a heck of a time trying to pull off) scientist turned sheriff of New Metrol. The people of the city are his flock, and he, with his trusty handmade weapon he calls a "rifle" (reflavored Superior Crossbow) are sure to bring a hurtin' to any who think to profit offin' these fine gennelfolk. Likewise, the NPCs and background material I have submitted tend toward this Old American West kind of theme. I'm particularly fond of the amount of whimsy that went into some of the names. From Charleston d'Ancona (pronounced "Dan-cona" by the young doctor) to Beverly Beatrice Watson ("That woman always gits mah goat!"), it should be pretty obvious which NPCs I submitted. I don't think I can overstate just how much I love some of these names.

I suspect that the "House Cannith Craftsman" theme may have been designed around him, as during his scientist days he did a great deal of work for House Cannith. He is, as it so happens, an Artificer, but he's heavily reflavored. He's replaced the "magic" of the class with full-on science, and has no known magical affinity at all. All his powers are the result of batches of chemicals he has mixed together, or effects inflicted on enemies from the special ammunition he can load into his firearm.

Aegeri, if you get lazy and don't feel like writing up that House Cannith Craftsman theme, I can just reflavor either the Veiled Alliance or Templar theme and call it something like "Sheriff" or "Official Buttkicker."

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I am going to do all the themes I listed. House Cannith Craftsman is a controller theme at the moment. Also I have an image of what I suspect would be an idea what the rifle may look like:

ArtificerRifle.png

You will need a feat for it, as it is exotic. It is +2 proficiency, 1d12 damage brutal 1. Needs a minor action to reload (much like a crossbow). It's range is 15/30. Can be used as an implement for artificer attacks (special condition).

For simplicity, it shares the crossbow group (although it's really not).

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I thought we were just going to stick with the stats for a Superior Crossbow, since it's already in the CB and we know it's appropriately balanced.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Terrendos wrote: »
    I thought we were just going to stick with the stats for a Superior Crossbow, since it's already in the CB and we know it's appropriately balanced.

I had thought about it since then, though the above should only be brutal 1 (not 2, too little sleep for turtle). You can use a superior crossbow if you like though.

Edit: I will update the OP to include you as a human artificer. Be aware Terrendos that you are welcome to take the new human racial feat from essentials instead of a third at-will if you want.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Concerning that drawing of the firearm, it seems a bit flashy. Tybalt's gun is a functional prototype, so it should very much be function over form. On the other hand, that drawing would be a great example of a promotional or production model based off Tybalt's early schematics (lacking his more recent modifications), perhaps being purveyed by an unscrupulous entrepreneur.

The concept I had was for a more standard-looking lever-action rifle. Ignition heat would be created by a fragment of a fire elemental; pulling the trigger opens a sluice between the fragment and the shell casing. There would almost need to be a clip because reloading even a modern gun takes way more than a minor action. The lever action would eject the spent shell from near the top, away from the user's face on the downward pull and on the return pull allow the next cartridge into the chamber. A ratchet system winds the spring controlling the elemental sluice like clockwork and would be wound prior to combat.

I've got a drawing I made that I can scan and post here I suppose. Also, if it's the same to you I think I'd prefer the Superior Crossbow model. Aside from wanting a more accurate weapon as a Leader, I think it's more fitting with the way an engineer would develop a weapon: reliability first.

P.S. powerpuppies, I'm not sure what class you're making but an Arcane Striker would work particularly well with the Spell Commander Paragon Path that Doctor Ximil will likely be taking.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Powerpuppies last I talked to him was making a Goliath Greatweapon Fighter.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ryske is still a Versatile Duelist rogue (and someday Ranger MC). I will post an Orokos sheet once I get home/remember to do that.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Remember when you make your Wizard illgottengains that I give Magic Missile to Wizards for free as a class feature.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    illgottengainsillgottengains Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'll be taking a controller by the looks of it. Leaning towards a gnome battle-wizard dubbed "Squinter" or Squint for short (heh). I'm not sure how I'll approach his background with regards to the ebberon backsetting. I'll take a look at the wiki for some ideas but on a general level...

Squinter is an old gnome who was once a travelling illusionist. He was perfectly happy to wander around and dazzle people with his magics. Since this did not always pay as well as he liked Squinter also crafts wondrous items! This was until the "Last War," which Squinter probably fought in. For the "good guys, you know?"

He was a bit out of place on the battlefield having specialized in illusions and his ability to maim the enemy was not what the battle-mages he fought along with. He was put to good use distracting the enemy troops and concealing his allies though. And he fought as bravely as any of the tall-folk despite what some of the battle-mages might have joked.

That all changed though. In pitched battle near the end of the war Squinter was gravely wounded while attempting to frighten a squad of enemy sorcerers and archers by "summoning," a giant dire bear in their midst. The elderly gnome was blasted in the chest with volleys of arcane magic. His scraggly beard fluttered in the air as his little body was propelled backward.

He was left for dead.

But that was not Squinter's time. For he awoke. And with scars unlike any he'd ever seen. The old gnome wondered somewhat offhandedly which side had won. It didn't seem to matter much at the moment.. He stumbled away from the eerily quiet battlefield with all of it's rotting corpses and carrion. The only things that hadn't been looted from his person post-battle were a half-filled canteen and some traveller's bread which was smashed from him laying on it.

After he was sufficiently far from the gory scene Squinter started thinking about what happened. After sometime he was able to piece together the last for seconds that he contributed to the battle. He remembered the illusion he'd used at the last moment but he forgot how the spell went. He sat down under an apple tree and thought about it for a good little while as he munched quite happily on apples and bread.

A light breeze jostled the tree branches just enough to break the stem that held one of the glorious fruit and it fell quite near Squinter. It fell so close that it startled him somewhat out of his thinking. He shouted defiantly and swatted a hand toward the source of the noise for he was still a bit jumpy from combat.

Much to his relief and surprise Squinter peered through his spectacles to see a somewhat charred apple. He didn't know it yet but this strange scar altered the way our little gnome perceives and manipulates magic.

I'm without access to Character Builder until I load my little plastic card and resub to WotC so it will be a bit before I can have a sheet up.

illgottengains on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The Last War has actually been going for 100 years in the setting and only ended 2 years ago from when the campaign begins. But he could have avoided getting into the war for a while until being forced to go into it. He may have even been a spy, Gnomes in Eberron actually have one of the largest and most powerful spy networks in Eberron and are highly valued (or feared) for their services.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hm. The spy angle sounds sort of fun but I'm not sure if it jells very well with the general concept. Perhaps Squinter's cousin is a spy. I kind of like the idea of him surviving against impossible odds for 5 or 6 decades in the war until he got KO'ed.

Now that I think of it this feels somewhat similar to Antoch but I think the aberrant mark angle could be played up some to give him somewhat of a different feel. I know these marks will likely garner him some ill will but do they have any physical effects say health-wise? I feel like it would really freak him out and he would want nothing more than the get rid of it if he could.

illgottengains on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Depends on your mark and how regularly you use it. For some intents and purposes think of aberrant marks like the Dark side of the force in Star Wars. It's a quick, easy way to power and rapidly corrupts you. At the same time, it's not as black and white because it is how you use that power that matters - not the source of it (Aberrant marks are not inherently evil). If you want to go down a more "evil" route, go Herald of Destruction and if you want to go a more "good" route you should take Aberrant Savant. While I do use the terms evil/good here, it is how you use the powers - not the powers inherently - that make them evil ultimately.

A Herald of Destruction uses their aberrant powers openly, unafraid of reprocussions and more or less reveling in the destruction they cause. The Aberrant Savant learns to control and use the power of their mark more effectively. Basically, the Herald of Destruction is a blaster type, uncaring as to who or what is affected by his powers (It's a striker). The Aberrant Savant is still powerful, but uses his powers wisely and has greatly improved control - so his powers only target enemies (It's a controller).

Alternatively you don't need an aberrant theme, it could just be that you can take either of the relevant PPs if you wish.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I could really use a CB update...anybody got a spare?

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I have been thinking about the mechanics of solos again and have decided to revise the rules for multiple initiative and single initiative solos. Based on this blog post by Greg Bilsland (who is an editor and designer at Wizards of the Coast). This change is actually rather similar to the way I had worded these powers before and accounts for the difference in multiple initiative and single initiative creatures. I also have 3 saving throw macros now, so that it won't be confusing why things are saving anymore (monsters with specific powers retain those specific powers of course).

Note that this now changes the way immediate interrupt and similar powers interact with daze, dominate and stunned conditions as well. Because the wording is more specific, it no longer treats these conditions always as save ends - which makes life a lot more clear and less confusing. Also I changed my mind, deciding I no longer want immediate interrupt save powers interacting with these conditions unless expressly specified they should.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    TSI|AwesomeTSI|Awesome Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This is Marhu's sheet.

Since I don't have the Hobgoblin racial writeup or the theme, I'm, of course, not quite done.

TSI|Awesome on
    63.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I will probably do both tonight, seeing as I'm quite free and will be working on DnD in general. Also I make much more limited feats now, but with more scaling bonuses like in essentials.

Edit: The new magic item rules are now known and it's clear what they do, huzzah! I am thinking though of pushing the limit up from common to being able to make uncommon items as well (as magic is industrialized and highly used throughout Eberron). So right now I am thinking it is possible to make both common and uncommon items. The number of found items doesn't change from the new RAW (50% common, ~45% or so items uncommon and rares are still limited to 5 per tier) though. You still cannot make rare items however. This will really depend on how the new item rules work out, so I'm going to keep the default essentials rules in the game until I see what they've done. If they've added items with stronger daily properties, which would make perfect sense actually now then I won't. I also have to bear in mind without limits to item power usage and crafting of items with them, it can quickly get pretty silly.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Edit: The new magic item rules are now known and it's clear what they do, huzzah! I am thinking though of pushing the limit up from common to being able to make uncommon items as well (as magic is industrialized and highly used throughout Eberron). So right now I am thinking it is possible to make both common and uncommon items. The number of found items doesn't change from the new RAW (50% common, ~45% or so items uncommon and rares are still limited to 5 per tier) though. You still cannot make rare items however. This will really depend on how the new item rules work out, so I'm going to keep the default essentials rules in the game until I see what they've done. If they've added items with stronger daily properties, which would make perfect sense actually now then I won't. I also have to bear in mind without limits to item power usage and crafting of items with them, it can quickly get pretty silly.

I like this. I'm hoping to have my gnome craft wondrous items! Is that a feat I can get early on or is it paragon?

illgottengains on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It's not a feat, it's just a movement of the rules allowing crafting of uncommon items in this campaign setting (my IRL game has default rules, Dark Sun you can't craft anything at all and this game moves it up. Different settings for the win!). Given nobody in my online games has ever tried to make use of billions of the same low level item, I am considering this as a really good idea for this game. Plus it's another way I can differentiate this campaign from my POL campaign from my Dark Sun campaign. Variety is good!

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I am back guys and my fiancee has safely landed back in the land of ferocious drop bears and killer spiders.

Wait...

*Flies off to Australia*

Ahem. Expect some stuff for the game within the next few days.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Expect a lack of my presence, because it is PAX time. Any words of wisdom for Mike Mearls should I run afoul of him?

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Actually yes, could you ask him why the Red Box rules are outdated compared to the rest of Essentials, like magic missile targeting two creatures (while in the actual Hero's of the Fallen Lands it targets only one). The differences in rules from the Red Box to the rest of essentials is very disappointing, as it makes it so you can't pick up the red box and move to essentials with the same characters without rebuilding them.

Then give him a hug from me and tell him it comes from NZ. Make sure to gay it up appropriately.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Also, totally ask him if Forgotten Realms and Eberron will be getting theme support from Wizards.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Looking at the new implement and weapon expertise feats from heroes of the fallen lands, these I have much less of a problem with than the previously poorly conceived "tax feats" previously existing in the game. Given these are considerably better and actually don't feel as awful as the existing implement/weapon tax feats, it's very likely I am going to simply remove the existing houserule about implement/weapon expertise feats for free. The new feats are actually legitimately worth taking and more than just a maths fix alone.
    Implement Expertise Category : Each implement expertise feat gives +1 feat bonus to implement attack rolls (increases by 1 at each tier), and when using them with implement power:

Orb Expertise: +1 square to forced movement
    Staff Expertise: don't provoke OA when making ranged or area attack
    Wand Expertise: ignore partial and superior cover

Weapon Expertise Category: Each weapon expertise feat gives +1 feat bonus to weapon attack rolls (increases by 1 at each tier), and when using them with implement power:

Axe: re-roll 1s for damage
    Bludgeon (hammer or mace): +1 to forced movement squares
    Bow: +1/tier damage to creatures with nobody adjacent
    Crossbow: ignore partial and superior cover
    Heavy Blade: +2 defense against OA
    Light Blade: +1/tier damage against CA creatures
    Sling: don't provoke OA when making ranged attacks
    Spear: +1/tier damage when charging
    Staff: both Implement and Weapon feat bonus, plus attack reach +1

Master at Arms: Gives generic +1/tier feat bonus to attack rolls with weapon attacks and minor action to sheath and then draw a weapon.

Melee Training: Use ability other than Strength for basic attacks, and use half ability mod instead of Str for damage.

Given the benefits of these extend beyond a maths fix I won't be handing this out for free anymore, reversing my previous plans (as they are damn good benefits and more than worth a feat). Noting that tome and similar expertise feats aren't in the game yet, but I am certain will follow given this (though what happened to flail/pick is a bit of a mystery). The staff implement expertise is particularly good. I also approve of the defensive feats, which are flatly scaling +2 to +4 bonuses (without a prerequisite) or if you have a moderate stat (15+) you can get a side benefit. Sup Fortitude is resistance to ongoing damage, Sup Reflex grants you CA against all enemies first round of combat and Sup Will is just the already known completely fucking awesome. Of course depending on the common sense wizards employs with publishing here, if there isn't a viable expertise feat matching the above sorts of benefits by level 10 (which is a few months of gameplay anyway) then you'll pick up an old expertise feat for free to compensate until they publish something viable.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    This is the Hobgoblin racial write up for use in this campaign. Not all feats are 100% done yet, but the basic race is here and I reserve the right to add more feats as I think of stuff.
    Hobgoblin
    Average Height: 6'1 - 6'5"
    Average Weight: 190-240lb

Ability Scores: +2 con, +2 wis or +2 cha
    Size: Medium
    Speed: 6 squares
    Vision: Low-light
    Languages: Common, Goblin
    Skill Bonuses: +2 Athletics, +2 History
    Battle Ready: You gain a +2 bonus to initiative checks.
    Hardy Constitution: You gain a +2 bonus to endurance checks against disease and a +2 bonus to saves against ongoing damage and poison effects.
    Hobgoblin Resilience: You can use hobgoblin resilience as an encounter power.

Hobgoblin Resilience
    Encounter
    No Action; Personal
    Trigger: You begin your turn dazed or stunned.
    Effect: You ignore the condition and take your turn as normal as if you did not have the effect. The condition is saved against or ends normally.
    Racial Feats:

Expert Ambusher
    Prerequisite: Hobgoblin, trained in stealth
    Benefit: You gain a +3 bonus instead of the regular +2 bonus from combat advantage when you attack an enemy you are hidden from or have total concealment against.

Gatekeeper
    Prerequisite: Hobgoblin, any primal or arcane class
    Benefit: You gain a +2 bonus to damage and a +2 bonus to will defense against creatures with the aberration, elemental and immortal origin. This bonus increases to +3 damage at level 11 and +4 damage at level 21.

House Deneith Mercenary
    Prerequisite: Hobgoblin
    Benefit: Choose from bows, heavy blades or axes. You gain a +1 feat bonus to attack rolls and +2 feat bonus to damage rolls with any weapon power you use with a weapon from that group. The bonuses increase to +2 attack and +3 damage at 15th level and +3 attack and +4 damage at 25th level.

Iron Mind
    Prerequisite: Hobgoblin, Hobgoblin Resilience racial feature, 15 Charisma or Wisdom
    Benefit: Your Hobgoblin Resilience power additionally works against the dominate and unconscious conditions.

Two-handed Weapon Mastery
    Prerequisite: Hobgoblin, 14 con
    Benefit: You gain a +1 bonus to AC while wielding a weapon in two-hands and a +2 damage bonus with two handed weapons.

Phalanx Leader
    Prerequisite: Hobgoblin
    Benefit: An enemy marked by you suffers a -3 penalty to their attacks that do not include you instead of the usual -2 penalty. This penalty increases to -4 if the targeted ally is adjacent to you.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Uhh Aegeri

you can't take immediate reactions on your turn, and even if you could you can't take them if you're dazed, stunned, etc.

I think Hobgoblin Resilience needs to be a No Action.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, that's just a funny hold over. It is no action.

Now my first theme!
    Last War Veteran

"I have seen the true horrors of war and death has surrounded me at all times. Everything I held dear was lost and now all I have left is my ability to kill. That's all the war left me with."

The last war between the five nations of Khorvaire was a terrible, long running conflict that saw many thousands die on all sides of the conflict. When it ended abruptly with the Day of Mourning - a terrible tragedy that saw Cyre destroyed in a fog that snuffed all life out in an instant - many of the soldiers of the last war were left without a war to fight anymore. In many cases broken, wounded and having suffered mental scars from unimaginable horrors they witnessed, many couldn't just go back and fit into the normal societal structure anymore. Other veterans could not give up the killing instinct the war had instilled in them, joining mercenary bands, raiders and adventuring parties to seek further engagements against new enemies.

Veterans can come from any nation on Khorvaire, even from outside the five nations as numerous mercenaries from Valenar and Droaam were used in the war. Due to often being old, frequently wounded or scarred in some manner and the uncertainty of when the next major conflict may arise again, not all of the nations of Khorvaire support those who served them loyally. They focus on new recruits and those not yet disillusioned by the horrors of war, leaving those who served them before to languish and find their own means of supporting themselves. As a result many veterans make their living finding new enemies to fight, while others retired to train the next generation of soldiers and many simply wait for the resumption of war between the nations. Some veterans hold strong ties to the nation that they served for during the war, but it is not uncommon for the inhumanity and tactical blunders of their superiors to have disillusioned many veterans. These individuals raise their blades in the defense of others or perhaps their own selfish ideals - but not for any nation of Khorvaire.
    Building A Last War Veteran

You're a survivor and have seen the full true extent of the horror of war in all its modern glory. Any character can potentially be a veteran of the last war, almost any martial power source character is a natural fit for a last war veteran but other classes can also be found among their ranks. The desire for militarized units of spellcasters - especially by Breland, Aundair and Cyre during the war - means that many arcane classes are suitable veterans as well.

Last War Veteran Traits
    Secondary Role: Striker
    Power Source: Martial
    Granted Power: You gain the veteran's strike power.
    Last War Veteran Powers
    The following powers are available to any character that has chosen the last war veteran theme.

Veterans Strike Last War Veteran Feature
    Seeing your opponent off guard, you strike without mercy and leave them crippled to your allies attacks.
    Encounter <> Martial, Weapon
    Standard Action; Melee or Ranged weapon
    Target: One creature granting combat advantage to you
    Attack: Primary Ability vs. AC
    Hit: 1[W] + ability modifier damage, and the target grants combat advantage to all until the end of your next turn. Additionally it takes your ability modifier damage against the first attack that hits it before the start of your next turn.
    Level 11: 2[W]+ability modifier damage
    Level 21: 3[W]+ability modifier damage
    Level 2 Utility Exploit

Tactical Redeployment Last War Veteran Utility 2
    You've seen this maneuver before, where the enemies will come from and how they intend to surround you. With a quick shout, you and your allies rapidly move to a more advantages position, reducing the enemies advantage.
    Daily <> Martial
    No Action; Personal
    Trigger: You roll for initiative
    Effect: You and all your allies within 5 may shift 3 squares as a free action before combat begins.
    Level 3 Encounter Exploit

Twist the Blade Last War Veteran Attack 3
    Slamming your blade into your enemy and feeling them reel from your blow, you quickly reposition yourself and then slam it in even further inflicting terrible damage.
    Free Action; Personal
    Trigger: You hit an enemy with a melee or ranged attack
    Target: Target you hit with an attack
    Attack: Primary ability vs. AC
    Hit: 2[W] + ability modifier damage, and the enemy gains vulnerable 2 to all damage until the end of your next turn.
    Level 13
    Hit: As above, but 3[W] + ability modifier damage, and vulnerable 3 to all damage until the end of your next turn.
    Level 23
    Hit: As above, but 4[W] + ability modifier damage, and vulnerable 5 to all damage until the end of your next turn.
    Level 5 Daily Exploit

Surround and Slaughter Last War Veteran Attack 5
    Working with your allies like a pack of wolves, you surround a lone enemy and attempt to tear them down.
    Daily <> Martial, Reliable, Weapon
    Target: One creature
    Hit: 3[W] + ability modifier damage, and you gain a bonus to the damage roll equal to twice the number of allies adjacent to the target.
    Level 15
    Hit: As above, but 4[W] + ability modifier damage
    Level 25
    Hit: As above, but 5[W] + ability modifier damage
    Level 6 Utility Exploit

Rapid Response Last War Veteran Utility 6
    Seeing your vulnerable ally attacked you rapidly move to their aid to provide support and strike back against the enemy.
    Encounter <> Martial
    Immediate Interrupt; Personal
    Trigger: An enemy who is not adjacent to you attacks an ally
    Effect: You shift a number of squares equal to your speed. If you end this movement adjacent to the triggering enemy, you gain a bonus to damage rolls against that enemy equal to the primary ability modifier.
    Level 7 Encounter Exploit

Crippling Blow Last War Veteran Attack 7
    Your enemy cannot run from you as you slam into its vulnerable limbs and make fleeing difficult.
    Attack: Primary ability vs. Fortitude
    Hit: 1[W] + ability modifier damage, and if the enemy moves or shifts before the end of your next turn it takes an additional 1[W] + primary ability modifier damage.
    Level 17
    Hit: As above, but 2[W] + ability modifier damage
    Level 27
    Hit: As above, but 3[W] + ability modifier damage
    Level 9 Daily Exploit

Refuse to Fall Last War Veteran Attack 9
    Bleeding and heavily wounded, you refuse to go down and face your foe with even greater ferocity.
    Daily <> Martial, Stance, Weapon
    Minor Action; Personal
    Effect: Until the stance ends, you do not fall unconscious when reduced to below 0 HP and can take one standard action on each of your turns. While bloodied or below 0 HP, you gain a bonus to damage rolls equal to your primary ability modifier. You may make the following attack:
    Hit: 3 [W] + ability modifier damage, and the target is dazed (save ends)
    Miss: Half-damage
    Effect: The stance ends.
    Level 19
    Hit: As above, but 4[W] + ability modifier damage
    Level 29
    Hit: As above, but 5[W] + ability modifier damage
    Level 10 Utility Exploit

Veteran's Insight Last War Veteran Utility 10
    Looking at an enemy you instinctively learn their strengths and weaknesses.
    Daily <> Martial, Stance
    Minor Action; Personal
    Target: One creature you can see.
    Effect: You learn the creatures resistances, vulnerabilities and defenses. Until the stance ends, your attacks ignore any immunities or resistances the creature has, and you gain a bonus to damage rolls against it equal to one half your primary ability modifier.

There we go! Feedback is appreciated.

And now my second theme, omgwtfbbq!

Note that the fluff of this theme should also be taken as canon story fluff for this campaign.
    House Tarkanan Scion

"You persecute me, hunt me and fear me because of what you believe I can become. Allow me to demonstrate why your fear is justified and daring to find me your final mistake."

The last war has erased many of the memories of the horrific conflict called the War of the Mark that saw the Dragonmarked houses band together for one purpose: The extermination of those with mixed and aberrant marks. Despite overwhelming resources the dragonmarked houses were fought fiercely by their opponents, whose limited numbers were made up for by the considerable power of the marks they carried. Rallied under and commanded by Lord Halas Tarkanan and his consort the Lady of Plague, these immensely canny and powerful leaders almost fought the dragonmarked houses to a standstill. Eventually however, the dragonmarked houses superior numbers won out and both Tarkanan and the Lady of Plague were slain in the siege of Sharn at a devastating cost. With this act, the dragonmarked houses consolidated their power and eliminated their main challenge on Khorvaire.

Today the houses still fear those with aberrant marks, as they still remember the terrible power they wielded in the past and that they could well rise again. Many within the houses believe that such a possibility is now becoming reality. More individuals bearing marks of aberrant power have been appearing, often in clusters and particularly concentrated around the mournland. These individuals, calling themselves House Tarkanan Scions have considerable power and appear to thrive off the energies of their marks. Few have engaged a scion and survived, with those who have often bearing permanent reminders of their encounters. It is not known where they come from, why they are associated so closely with the mournland or if they are merely vanguards of a larger force. What the houses know is they must prepare to respond with military force if required and destroy any they find.

Note at this point: When you take this theme, you need to talk to me about your background and why you have it. This is to keep the mystery up for this campaign.
    Building A House Tarkanan Scion

To those who fear you, you're a terrifying monster and perhaps that's exactly what you want them to think. Your mark burns at the slightest touch and emanates incredible power, which you drink from freely and deeply like a drug. You have mastered powers beyond any pathetic dragonmarked house whelp and impose your will upon others at your whim. Even among these scions there are numerous members who attempt to become hero's of their kind - using their power for good and fighting against oppression. Sadly, such members are rare and many devolve into madness, as the power they unleash becomes beyond their ability to control. Spellcasters of all stripes are the most common members who follow this path, their natural spellcasting ability augmenting their aberrant powers.

House Tarkanan Scion
    Secondary Role: Controller
    Power Source: Arcane
    Granted Power: You gain the incite fear power.
    House Tarkanan Scion Powers
    The following powers are available to any character that has chosen the house Tarkanan scion theme.

Incite Fear House Tarkanan Scion Feature
    Demonstrating the aberrant power you possess, your enemies regret ever attempting to strike you..
    Encounter <> Arcane, Implement, Fear, Psychic
    Immediate Interrupt; Melee 1
    Trigger: An enemy attacks you with a melee attack.
    Target: Triggering enemy
    Attack: Primary Ability vs. Will
    Hit: 1d6 + ability modifier psychic damage, and the triggering attack takes a -2 penalty to the attack roll.
    Level 11: 2d6 + ability modifier psychic damage
    Level 21: 3d6 + ability modifier psychic damage
    Level 2 Utility Spell

Spell Command House Tarkanan Scion Utility 2
    As your power misses you redirect the attack to another enemy within range instead.
    Daily <> Arcane
    Free Action; Personal
    Trigger: You miss with a ranged arcane at-will or encounter attack power
    Effect: You may reroll the attack against another enemy within range.
    Level 3 Encounter Spell

Fiery Conversion House Tarkanan Scion Attack 3
    Through sheer force of your own will, you turn the very air within your enemies lungs into a roiling inferno.
    Encounter <> Arcane, Implement, Fire
    Standard Action; Area burst 1 within 10 squares.
    Target: Each enemy in burst.
    Hit: 1d8 + ability modifier fire damage, and the target takes 5 extra fire damage for each action it takes before the end of your next turn.
    Level 13
    Hit: As above, but 2d8 + ability modifier fire damage
    Level 23
    Hit: As above, but 3d8 + ability modifier fire damage
    Level 5 Daily Spell

Infusion of Flame House Tarkanan Scion Attack 5
    Infusing the enemy with immense amounts of fiery energy, you turn them into a living bomb ready to go off at any moment.
    Daily <> Arcane, Implement, Fire
    Standard Action; Ranged 10
    Hit: 1d8 + ability modifier fire damage.
    Effect: The target becomes infused with energy. At the beginning of its next turn you may slide the target up to one half your ability modifier and make the following secondary attack.
    Secondary Attack
    No Action: Close burst 1
    Target: Creatures in burst
    Hit: 1d6 + ability modifier fire damage, and ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends).
    Miss: Half damage
    Level 15
    Hit: As above, but 2d8 + ability modifier fire damage
    Secondary attack: As above, but deals ongoing 10 fire damage.
    Level 25
    Hit: As above, but 3d8 + ability modifier fire damage
    Secondary attack: As above, but deals ongoing 15 fire damage.
    Level 6 Utility Spell

Energy Absorption House Tarkanan Scion Utility 6
    As you or your allies suffer from the energy attacks of your enemy you draw upon it to fuel your own spells.
    Encounter <> Arcane
    Free Action; Close burst 5
    Trigger: You or an ally is hit by a power with the acid, cold, fire, lightning, thunder or necrotic keywords.
    Effect: Attacks you make until the end of your next turn deals one of the triggering effects damage types, in addition to its normal damage type and gains that keyword. Additionally, when you hit with an attack the target takes an additional 5 ongoing damage of the same type you absorbed.
    Level 7 Encounter Spell

Command Fear House Tarkanan Scion Utility Attack 7
    Extending your power over your enemies will, you cause them to cower and dare not approach you.
    Encounter <> Arcane, Implement, Fear, Psychic
    Immediate Reaction; Close burst 5
    Trigger: An enemy moves adjacent to you
    Target: Triggering enemy within the burst
    Attack: Primary ability vs. Will
    Hit: 1d10 + highest ability modifier psychic damage, and the target is pushed 3 squares and cannot willingly move adjacent to you until the end of your next turn.
    Level 17
    Hit: As above, but 2d10 + highest ability modifier psychic damage
    Level 27
    Hit: As above, but 3d10 + highest ability modifier psychic damage
    Level 9 Daily Spell

Terrifying Immolation House Tarkanan Scion Attack 9
    You unleash a massive stream of flame that melts even the strongest armor and causes enemies blood to boil.
    Daily <> Arcane, Implement, Fear, Fire
    Standard Action; Ranged 10
    Target One creature
    Hit: 2d10 + ability modifier fire damage, and the target takes a -3 penalty to all defenses and is immobilized (save ends both)
    Miss: 2d6 + ability modifier fire damage, and the target takes a -2 penalty to all defenses and the target is slowed (save ends both).
    Level 19
    Hit: As above, but 3d10 + ability modifier fire damage
    Miss: As above, but 3d6 + ability modifier fire damage
    Level 29
    Hit: As above, but 4d10 + ability modifier fire damage
    Miss: As above, but 4d6 + ability modifier fire damage
    Level 10 Utility Exploit

Life Tap House Tarkanan Scion Utility 10
    Tapping deep into the power of your mark, you drain your own life to fuel your powers.
    Encounter <> Arcane
    Free Action; Personal
    Trigger: You miss all targets with an encounter area or burst attack power.
    Effect: You lose a healing surge and do not expend the use of the power.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/2548

Squinter v.01

Edit: Constructive criticism welcome :D

illgottengains on
  • Options
    TSI|AwesomeTSI|Awesome Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/2548

Squinter v.01

Edit: Constructive criticism welcome :D

Ok.

The Raven Queen isn't a god in Eberron. The Keeper is the only God of Death in Eberron, but he's not nearly as...well, likeable:
    The Sovereign of Death and Decay, The Keeper represents greed and gluttony, the inverse of his brother Kol Korran's focus on material wealth and generosity. He is seen as the hunger in the dark, grabbing hold of anyone straying too far from the light. He alone is able to waylay dead souls on their way to Dolurrh and it is said that once in the Keeper's clutches a soul may never escape. Because of his association with souls and the afterlife he has become almost the default deity of necromancers across Eberron.

The son of Onatar and Olladra and the brother of Kol Korran, the Keeper is often portrayed as gaunt or grossly fat human, a lich or ghoul, or sometimes a skeletal dragon.

That said, no actual contact with the Gods in Eberron occurs, and there's no particular alignment required to worship or even be a servant of a god; there's no particular reason your gnome couldn't believe in a kinder, gentler Kol Korran. Or not.

My only other thought is that you may want to look at the new essentials at-wills for wizards, some of them are really good and quite useful.

I'm not sure about the Mark of Madness feat, but that's probably something that Aegeri has a greater conception of than I do anyways, so I'll let him say anything, if he has anything to say.

TSI|Awesome on
    63.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Don't we start this week?!

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    We didn't get a PM this week, so I'm guessing no.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Nope. There will be a PM when things begin. I have become very busy with real life and other major changes, which has distracted me quite a bit. Next weekend though is looking really good now!

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Game on?

illgottengains on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    He is too busy playing with his plastic mans.

I hope your first run through has better luck than mine last night. Me and the wife drew all hard monsters and died within about 6 turns D:

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Not this weekend, but next weekend is looking very good now. I have life under control at last and am sorting out how to move to Aussie (yay!).

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Control over life might not be attainable. It's worth a shot I guess. Good luck with your move.

illgottengains on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If we're going to play Saturday I need to know by about this time tomorrow

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Considering that Aegeri hasn't sent out a PM it seems quite likely that we're not playing this weekend anyway.

I should probably make my token at some point though.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    He told me via MSN tonight that it is in fact not happening this weekend.

REG Rysk on