As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[APB] MMO world record broken

1235»

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    A shitty multiplayer shooter with thugs and gangstas.

Here's a Quick Look.

reVerse on
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I can't believe CrimeCraft outlived this game.

This. Given how slipshod CC is... just wow.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    I can't believe CrimeCraft outlived this game.

This. Given how slipshod CC is... just wow.

To be fair, APB's payment setup is probably what killed it more then it's gameplay.

I mean, just buying the game, you get about fifty+ hours of gameplay time. That's more then most people use in a month. And the more hardcore players would have burnt themselves out on the game by the time they used that time up.

A better payment plan would have been a reduced monthly fee with thirty days free in a collectors edition. Maybe 9.99 a month until they could get more content in the game.

Archonex on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man APB was dead before it even hit the shelves. It was never gonna make back the cost of development and they didnt have enough to keep the company afloat after launch. They just didnt tell anyone until it was far too late.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yea, that's probably true. That they didn't even have enough cash on hand to pay even a smaller staff salaries for 3 months after launch indicates that APB would've had to have been far more successful to meet up to what their budget apparently required. Even a modest-by-mmo standards "success" could have killed them.

Scooter on
  • LOLtacularLOLtacular Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    APB makes me angry. Despite it's shortcomings, it did provide me with some ridiculously entertaining experiences. The fact that the game would be going strong if they didn't have a stupid subscription/time based fee (go micro-transactions for customization or whatever), 100 server caps with the improved matchmaking and an upgrade system that didn't give +damage/rof/HP/-% damage makes me want to punch babies. Such blatantly obvious design issues.

LOLtacular on
    fa05acbb52b84269.png
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You and me both, brother.

You and me both.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Anyone else feel like they should have made the upgrades system into a total Syndicate/Cyberpunk/GITS style theme? Seeing chicks with 50cal sniper rifles running around in bikinis and people jumping off the 3 story of parking garages without a scratch just made me wonder if they shouldn't have gone all out and given you ridiculous abilities like jump height increases, and strength to throw cars around. Gun arms, yessss?

Maybe it would have felt too much like Crackdown, but I bet people wouldn't have been complaining about lack of headshots if everyone was bunnyhopping 40ft into the air :P But seriously, I think it would have made progression a lot more meaningful, and with some tweaks and balancing it wouldn't look anymore weird than stuff that was already in the game.

nonoffensive on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Anyone else feel like they should have made the upgrades system into a total Syndicate/Cyberpunk/GITS style theme? Seeing chicks with 50cal sniper rifles running around in bikinis and people jumping off the 3 story of parking garages without a scratch just made me wonder if they shouldn't have gone all out and given you ridiculous abilities like jump height increases, and strength to throw cars around. Gun arms, yessss?

Maybe it would have felt too much like Crackdown, but I bet people wouldn't have been complaining about lack of headshots if everyone was bunnyhopping 40ft into the air :P But seriously, I think it would have made progression a lot more meaningful, and with some tweaks and balancing it wouldn't look anymore weird than stuff that was already in the game.

Oh man if this was like Crackdown this would have been the greatest game ever.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Cyberpunk would have at least given the game some time of direction.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    edited October 2010
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Cyberpunk would have at least given the game some time of direction.

Plus, it's pretty much a virgin genre, Neocron being the only real game that ever got into that genre. A good cyberpunk game could make a crapton of money just by virtue of being the only game that caters to that genre out there.

It's not like there aren't a bunch of sources to draw on for material too. Bladerunner and (As of late.) Ghost in the Shell being the foremost on most people's minds when they think of cyberpunk today. I'm pretty sure you could tack on a "inspired by Bladerunner" mention on the box somewhere and the game would sell like hotcakes, no matter how much it sucked.

I know i'd pay a good deal of money for a Bladerunner or GitS game. I'm getting pretty tired of the fantasy genre inundating the MMO niche as of late.

Archonex on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    I would eat up a GitS game.

However, you can't be the Major. Aside from the fact that she was the best at EVERYTHING...

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited October 2010

However, you can't be the Major. Aside from the fact that she was the best at EVERYTHING...

GitS is probably the only fictional medium that shows just how badass and overpowered a full body stealth suit would be. Especially if you had proper training with a weapon.

Let me dick around with one of them in a game with impunity, and you'd get my subscription money for a year, if not more. The fun factor that could be derived from them would be worth that much time, at least.

Archonex on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Archonex wrote: »

GitS is probably the only fictional medium that shows just how badass and overpowered a full body stealth suit would be. Especially if you had proper training with a weapon.

Let me dick around with one of them in a game with impunity, and you'd get my subscription money for a year, if not more. The fun factor that could be derived from them would be worth that much time, at least.

Well, it also helps out that Kusanagi is 95% cyborg.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There was that Source mod, Neotokyo. It had a lot of inspiration drawn from GitS, turned out pretty well.

Senshi on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The "Capture the sex toy" mode was an interesting spin on CTF, I'll give it that.

BlueDestiny on
    edited October 2010
    The "Capture the sex toy" mode was an interesting spin on CTF, I'll give it that.

Truly, Neotokyo captured the true essence of Shirow's works.

A quick GIS of Masamune Shirow actually shows that this is probably true, too.

Archonex on