As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WRAITH VICTORY!!!!!!!] KoPv.1: The Caves of Phalla

• Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well, I will say that the last time that TS appeared a little too overenthusiastic about helping the good guys and we killed him off, his intentions were true. However, the last time we trusted a neutral he ended up screwing over all of us. That asshole.

Edit: And by the way I just switched to working full time so I will be very bored and probably posting a lot more often now.

Damn, that neutral was an asshole. I hate him.

Shamus on
  • Options
    GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ardor wrote: »
    Stuff about TS's intentions

So does his retaliation only work if he is voted to death? Or can a single vote for him cause a retaliation? Because Visible already voted for him. I'm not sure if this is a good plan or not, but if whoever stole Ardor's shield guards him again with it, will we know if TS is telling the truth if the shield gets used? I just don't want the gnomes fucking with the results. I think if we do have any seers out there maybe they should seer TS.

Also, about the cultist. I thought their win conditions were pretty easy to achieve and this makes it seem maybe it wasn't so easy for them. Assuming there might be another special that is hard to kill and is a unique race, the cultists had their work cut out for them. In addition to that, it was really fortunate that a cultist was killed so early on... I think they are screwed. Of course if TS is lying and is a gnome or the other cultist he may just be making us feel more comfortable and then he could raise hell.
    Shamus wrote: »
    Well, I will say that the last time that TS appeared a little too overenthusiastic about helping the good guys and we killed him off, his intentions were true. However, the last time we trusted a neutral he ended up screwing over all of us. That asshole.

Edit: And by the way I just switched to working full time so I will be very bored and probably posting a lot more often now.

Damn, that neutral was an asshole. I hate him.

>_<

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oh thank god. I haven't voted yet. Thought I did! Dammit, I don't even know who to vote for.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Oh thank god. I haven't voted yet. Thought I did! Dammit, I don't even know who to vote for.

Vote for yourself, cultist.

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    To Grundl, we are taking the chance when we believe tehspectre, that he isn't the last cultist. It is possible he's got a majority of the powers he listed or that he's completely hiding behind smoke and mirrors. My biggest concern is that he's the final cultist. If his win conditions are very true, it means he doesn't count as a race, as he can side with any faction to win. The cultists are a faction.

Unless he's lying to us on that standpoint, he has a better chance of killing humans right now than anything else, so I don't see his existance useful right now, provided he's truthful. If he can win with the cultist, how do we lose by killing him tonight to make sure he isn't the cultist AND to make sure he isn't going to go work for the gnomes?

Those of you who watched or played in the vampire phalla know the risk we run with a seperate faction per se.

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    To Grundl, we are taking the chance when we believe tehspectre, that he isn't the last cultist. It is possible he's got a majority of the powers he listed or that he's completely hiding behind smoke and mirrors. My biggest concern is that he's the final cultist. If his win conditions are very true, it means he doesn't count as a race, as he can side with any faction to win. The cultists are a faction.

Unless he's lying to us on that standpoint, he has a better chance of killing humans right now than anything else, so I don't see his existance useful right now, provided he's truthful. If he can win with the cultist, how do we lose by killing him tonight to make sure he isn't the cultist AND to make sure he isn't going to go work for the gnomes?

Those of you who watched or played in the vampire phalla know the risk we run with a seperate faction per se.

Are the cultists considered a true faction? And if he is a special unique race... how could he win with the cultist. Unless I'm mistaken we really don't know how easy/hard it will be for the cultist to win.. right? If he really can kill 1 person a night for us, why don't we take advantage of that?

And also, I ask again, can we just seer him to find out the truth?

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This whole wraith thing sounds kinda fishy and is starting to get annoying. It's been ripped off of a few times now ever since Castle Phalla.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    *appears upset*
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Also, if someone targets you with an item, the item will be destroyed and the user of the item will be revealed in the same night's narration; you will also be revealed.

Someone should designate Thespectre of the magnet as goal!

That is broken, but that story is verified!

We wouldn't necessarily have to use the seering item to identify if his abilities are truthful.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    *appears upset*
    Also, if someone targets you with an item, the item will be destroyed and the user of the item will be revealed in the same night's narration; you will also be revealed.

We wouldn't necessarily have to use the seering item to identify if his abilities are truthful.

I'm just a bit worried that the other forces of the game are going to chose to kill off whoever votes for TS to keep us guessing.

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    *appears upset*

I'm just a bit worried that the other forces of the game are going to chose to kill off whoever votes for TS to keep us guessing.

Keep in mind that while we know a seering item exists, we do not know if a human still holds it or if there is an actual seer out there. If people believe me and why I was defended last night, then I might be the closest thing to a confirmed human as we have, but there's nobody that can verify it plus I can't just expect someone to come forward as a seer to either myself or to the whole world here because they know they are dead in doing so. Keep in mind this is if people trust me.

I agree with Saburbia that concepts of this wraith idea have been out there before and I'm very leery about accepting it at face value. The cultists to my knowledge count as a bad guy faction per the OP. I have to assume that no matter who wins, if Tehspectre is truthful, it can be anyone.

As for using him, what reasons does he have for believing us that we offer him the most fun or most efficient route? What's to keep him from turning on us? I think there's too much risk involved right now to see if he would help us out to the end.

Yes, it's true, provided he's not lying, that he can win with us, but since he can win with anyone, he's a random factor and we have enough of those right now. I don't see why keeping him around is beneficial to us at all. If the heart ripper kills the final cultist, I'd be more convinced for working with him, but right now, other than the nice randmo shot that took out Grimmy, I personally remain unconvinced that he's worth the risk.

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Are the cultists considered a true faction? And if he is a special unique race... how could he win with the cultist. Unless I'm mistaken we really don't know how easy/hard it will be for the cultist to win.. right? If he really can kill 1 person a night for us, why don't we take advantage of that?

And also, I ask again, can we just seer him to find out the truth?

I bolded a very neat point that I see as confilciting information. This means:

1) Tehspectre is truthful and he isn't a seperate race. Hence, we can debate whether to keep or remove him.
    2) Tehspectre is lying and he is a seperate race. This means he needs to kill the cultist and what he really meant to say was that he wins with gnomes or humans only. Which also means he might better care to write up his role next time.
    3) Tehspectre is lying and is a gnome or the final cultist. A villager pulling a stunt like this is typically hated in the next game or so because the person gained a little bit of fun at the expense of so many others and it's a pretty dickish move. I don't see him doing this, so I think option 3 is that he's trying to pull a fast one on us for fun.

I'm going to assume he's telling us the truth. Which means he could do anyone's work at a moment's notice and nobody wants to waste the time to kill him, so he can help choose who gets better odds at winning. I'd rather have more controlled odds, so I don't think he should stay. If he's lying to us, he's more than welcome to come back here and fix his story.

Ardor on
  • Options
    life3life3 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

The problem is he doesn't work for us. He's a rogue faction whose goal is to end the game quickly. Bringing him "in" on anything, is extremely dangerous.

life3 on
    HOW APPROPRIATE [URL="aim:goim?screenname=skullc0rp"]YOU[/URL] FIGHT LIKE A COW
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    life3 wrote: »

The problem is he doesn't work for us. He's a rogue faction whose goal is to end the game quickly. Bringing him "in" on anything, is extremely dangerous.

I'm not saying to give him access to information that could hurt us or anything, I'm just saying if we have 2 good candidates to kill we could ask TS to get rid of one of them.

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I can't believe the inactivity, why do people even bother to sign up if they can't be bothered to play.

I agree with Ardor. I think tehspectre is lying and even if he isn't he still needs to die.

!retract devoutelyapathetic
    !vote tehspectre

frandelgearslip on
  • Options
    LignisseLignisse Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I also must change my vote after reading TehSpecter's big reveal

I !retract tormentedsoul, who might just like bandwagons too much.
    I !vote TehSpecter for creating a very implausible story.

Let's summarize for the benefit of the mostly inactives: so far we have three people who have made concrete claims:

TehSpecter - claims to be the "wraith". His role as described makes no sense for two reasons: First, it interacts poorly with the cultists: he have to die, but they die (losing at least 50% of them even at the start of the game) if they kill him. Secondly, and more importantly, he has to ally? When? Time limit on that? Obviously his best strategy would be to wait until it's more clear which side will win, then ally. This is also a very boring strategy, and I trust Gnasty too much to make such a boring role with such a large game impact. Verdict? Probably lying, and must die.

Paranoia833 - claims to be an undefined good-aligned special. Hints that it interacts with items. Possibly just fishing for PMs from specials, possibly trying to help. Verdict? Undecided, but way too risky to recommend specials PMing him or giving him items. The potential benefit is unclear, and the risk is devastating if he's cultist.

Ardor - claims to be human who had the shield stolen from him first night. We know for sure he was protected by the shield the second night. I discussed my reasoning in some detail in my previous post, but the final result stands. Verdict? Probably truthful, and our best way to form a network. I'm not advising specials PM him, but a seer and a shield tonight for him would be the best way to proceed, in my opinion.

Lignisse on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I !vote for TehSpectre

I hate wraiths and it is getting me annoyed. Maybe it was because I was the co-host for Castle Phalla, maybe.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Lignisse wrote: »
    Ardor - claims to be human who had the shield stolen from him first night. We know for sure he was protected by the shield the second night. I discussed my reasoning in some detail in my previous post, but the final result stands. Verdict? Probably truthful, and our best way to form a network. I'm not advising specials PM him, but a seer and a shield tonight for him would be the best way to proceed, in my opinion.

The narration hints very heavily, unless the gnomes got the shield night 1, that I'm not a gnome. That much you should assume as the odds are pretty much against this. I claim I had the shield stolen from me and that's why I was protected, that hints that I'm a human, which is exactly what I claim to be.

Instant networks are relied upon too much in past games, I would advise us against going that route. If there is a seer alongside the person with the seer item, build up a small network as time goes on, but be wary Gnasty did mention the thrall had returned. While one did leave the game, we don't know for sure if there are more.

Perhaps tonight's narration will give us more insight.

Also, just because I've got some experience with these games and all doesn't mean I'll make the best choices either, so keep an eye out for inconsistencies and such.

Ardor on
  • Options
    Paranoia833Paranoia833 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    That is, of course, unless you are a gnome and the gnome with the steal ability (should one exist) got the shield on the first night. If that were to happen then it is possible you could be a gnome having your buddy defend you.

that does of course make the assumption that:
    a) The gnomes can target their own.
    b) The real original shieldbearer has kicked up no fuss whatsoever.

All in all you're probably human, but just in case may I urge the real shield bearer to declare his identity now! After all he has nothing to lose by declaring so, as any gnome revenge killing will merely be confirmation of his story.

Paranoia833 on
  • Options
    GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Kilnaga is the only person to not contact me or post after I made the inactive threat three days ago. Unless he posts, he will be dieing tonight. Senor Fish hasn't returned, so tonight his resignation will become official and he will also die tonight.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Lignisse wrote: »
    TehSpecter - claims to be the "wraith". His role as described makes no sense for two reasons: First, it interacts poorly with the cultists: he have to die, but they die (losing at least 50% of them even at the start of the game) if they kill him. Secondly, and more importantly, he has to ally? When? Time limit on that? Obviously his best strategy would be to wait until it's more clear which side will win, then ally. This is also a very boring strategy, and I trust Gnasty too much to make such a boring role with such a large game impact. Verdict? Probably lying, and must die.

Well, I don't think it conflicts with the cultists too horribly. At first I thought the game would be easy for the cultists to win. But if there are certain races that are harder than normal to kill, I think it's a good mechanic and balances the game. I think he can try to influence the game to either side... and since it's assumed that it's going to be pretty tough to kill him off... and it seems like his only victory condition is to survive... so it's in his interest to end the game as soon as possible.

So are we all voting for TehSpectre now?

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    My current vote count is:

Adrien
    Frosteey - #391
    DevoutlyApathetic - #405
    Tormentedsoul - #407
    Grundlterror - #409
    Locus - #447
    Mazlo - #451

Tormentedsoul
    Paranoia833 - #456

TehSpectre
    Visiblehowl - #496
    Ardor - #503
    Jdarksun - #518
    Frandelgearslip - #519
    Lignisse - #520
    Saburbia - #521

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Just for everyone's information, I am killing Tormentedsoul this round. It was funny, because I had chosen him to die before a bandwagon ever formed on him. Granted, I did this for separate reasons than everyone else.

It's cool you guys are targeting me, I just hope I don't end up killing one of the network members, or a good special. I said I would take your kill choices "Under advisement" because I may deem someone to be more suspicious to my bad guy sense, than the choice I was given.

I have already chosen to ally with the good guys and cannot change my alliances.

I must be off for the night, so I will not be back online until tomorrow.

Don't worry, I will still be around. Please don't get a special killed. I can prove myself by killing someone I say in the wraith fashion other than having to randomly kill someone from my mob vote. Take that into consideration.

One more time: I will be killing Tormentedsoul tonight and someone who votes for me will die.

Ciao.

Edit: Clarification- someone who votes for me will die -if- I am mobbed by the village.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    It happens. We don't know anything about your role other than what you told us, and being as uninformed as we are, your kill will hurt the humans more than help them. In a network where you could cut down your suspects, you would be useful, not being in such an arrangement however, means I feel justified in my vote for you tonight. It should benefit the humans moreso than letting you randomly pick people off, which gives you a greater chance of hitting us.

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    ok so we have to mob TS before we can test his story.

I !retract my vote for Adrien

I guess I'll throw my name in the running for who dies from TS's retaliation ability. I'm just a human non-special. I hope none of the specials voted for TS.

I !vote to kill off TehSpectre

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Is it really wise for us all to be throwing out votes at TehSpectre? Shouldn't we try and confirm him first, Munkus' idea for using the magnet would probably be best. If he is lying we would find out and execute him next round, if he is telling the truth some one may die. Also I don't doubt that any other parties that can do a targeted kill will go after others that voted him just to mess with us. Just throwing that out there.

Typhus733 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Typhus733 wrote: »
    Is it really wise for us all to be throwing out votes at TehSpectre? Shouldn't we try and confirm him first, Munkus' idea for using the magnet would probably be best. If he is lying we would find out and execute him next round, if he is telling the truth some one may die. Also I don't doubt that any other parties that can do a targeted kill will go after others that voted him just to mess with us. Just throwing that out there.

We are confirming him, killing him off if he is lying and still getting to kill one of our top choices (TormentedSoul) in one night.

Edit: Everyone keep in mind he might be lying about his allegiances. He could have allied with the gnomes or he could be able to change allegiances freely.

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    life3life3 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Edit: Everyone keep in mind he might be lying about his allegiances. He could have allied with the gnomes or he could be able to change allegiances freely.

I agree, entirely. This is information which should not have been withheld from his first post. It just makes it all that much shadier.

life3 on
    HOW APPROPRIATE [URL="aim:goim?screenname=skullc0rp"]YOU[/URL] FIGHT LIKE A COW
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I !vote for TehSpectre. The wraith thing is just too strange. Even if he's telling the truth about it, he may decide to pull a Shamus and help the bad guys.

Cantide on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Cantide wrote: »
    The wraith thing is just too strange. Even if he's telling the truth about it, he may decide to pull a PsychoLarry1 and help the bad guys.

Fix'd.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    !vote TehSpectre

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Here's the deal. People who do not vote for Tehspectre and his ability is confirmed, it places suspicion on all of them for not taking that risk. A gnome or two will more than likely take the risk, but our cultist really cannot afford that risk at all. This gives us that chance to find him/her.

Ardor on
  • Options
    Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I still say there are better ways that don't involve another villager possibly dyeing but fine !I vote TehSpectre

Typhus733 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Typhus733 wrote: »
    I still say there are better ways that don't involve another villager possibly dyeing but fine !I vote TehSpectre

So you believe his story fully? Or that he isn't against us?

If he can win on anyone's side, he doesn't care who wins then, which makes him a liability for every team. We don't know how much truth he is giving us.

If you are talking about someone who might die tonight due to his retaliation ability, there is always the chance it hits a gnome as well.

With the arguments we have going on for the voting tonight, you really think going after someone else will give us that much of a better chance of hitting a gnome/cultist?

Ardor on
  • Options
    LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Here's the deal. People who do not vote for Tehspectre and his ability is confirmed, it places suspicion on all of them for not taking that risk. A gnome or two will more than likely take the risk, but our cultist really cannot afford that risk at all. This gives us that chance to find him/her.
    Great, now I'll look suspicious if I switch my vote, and I'll look suspicious if I don't switch my vote. Oh well.

!retract Adrien and !vote TehSpectre.

Locus on
  • Options
    CelebrimCelebrim Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I hate playing catch up, if things calm down tomorrow, I'll try to get a spreadsheet up (if I'm still alive).

Stupid question, I remember reading about roles who's goal is to die by vote. Could that be TehSPectre's angle? He had to have known claiming something like that would draw the wrath of the masses and with that attention, the gnomes wouldn't bother with him.

Also, has anyone determined if the magnets can steal from those who die that night?

Celebrim on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Celebrim wrote: »
    I hate playing catch up, if things calm down tomorrow, I'll try to get a spreadsheet up (if I'm still alive).

Stupid question, I remember reading about roles who's goal is to die by vote. Could that be TehSPectre's angle? He had to have known claiming something like that would draw the wrath of the masses and with that attention, the gnomes wouldn't bother with him.

Also, has anyone determined if the magnets can steal from those who die that night?

I would assume not because stealing occurs after the killings take place. Hence, the killers already have the item as the theft occurs.

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I guess I'll vote !Adrien to try and keep him alive. Seems like I'm swiming uprivier though.

I don't see the benefit in killing him by mob. If he follows through on his claim, that would seem to make him an ally. One more night couldn't hurt, and if he is any type of race, I'd rather not make the cultist's life easy.

Celebrim on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

That only goes so far. It's already like 1 in 10, assuming he's telling the truth. That's not an incredible risk if it means complete freedom from suspicion.

Which, come to think of it, implicates you. The more people vote, the safer it is.

And having implicated myself, I guess I might as well still !vote TehSpectre :P
    I guess I'll vote !Adrien to try and keep him alive. Seems like I'm swiming uprivier though.

I don't see the benefit in killing him by mob. If he follows through on his claim, that would seem to make him an ally. One more night couldn't hurt, and if he is any type of race, I'd rather not make the cultist's life easy.

If he's telling the truth, this won't kill him. Probably?

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Kills occur before thefts do. After someone dies their item is either redistributed or broken, so trying to steal from a dead person is pointless.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Check that
    !retract Adrien (since I have no idea why they got votes only saw the biggest competition. I'd prefer not to bandwagon completely blind.)
    and !vote Tormentedsoul since Tehspectre apparently will kill him anyway.

Celebrim on