As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Connection to Amn: Baldur's Gate 2 multiplayer woes

AlgrunAlgrun Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey all-

My good buddy and I both bought Baldur's Gate II and started a multiplayer session. He's on XP and is hosting, and I'm on Windows 7. It worked great for one session, but now we can't connect, no matter what we try. Anyone have any experience getting this game to work? We're using the direct IP connection.

Algrun on

• Options
    a Ferreta Ferret 360 Dunk from Half Court Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You both can trying running it as admin. (Right click the icon>Run as admin). I'd going to assume neither of you updated the game further.

a Ferret on
    Battle.net Polite#1852 | 3DS 2681-0927-8518 | Steam
  • Options
    thejazzmanthejazzman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hot tip (this WILL work, and its a life saver, ive wasted so much of my life trying to get BG2 to work multiplayer).

Run it as a LAN game through hamatchi. If you're not aware of hamatchi, its a program you can use to simulate a LAN across the internet. You'll be playing BG2 with your friend in 2 minutes.

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pogo mudderpogo mudder Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    thejazzman wrote: »
    Run it as a LAN game through hamatchi.

this

pogo mudder on
    what a work of art is man, and the most boring choice you can make
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Sweet! I'll try it as soon as I can and report back with results. Thanks guys.

Algrun on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    We tried hamachi, and get get on the same network, but we still can't connect. As a sidenote, I can't ping him on the hamachi network, but he can ping me.

Algrun on
  • Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Algrun wrote: »
    We tried hamachi, and get get on the same network, but we still can't connect. As a sidenote, I can't ping him on the hamachi network, but he can ping me.

Sounds like your friend has a firewall in place. I have encountered this problem many times while using hamachi to play Sturmovik/GTR2.

Get him to disable the firewall or allow the ports hamachi is using to pass through.

Yogo on
  • Options
    pogo mudderpogo mudder Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Another important thing to mention if you're running Vista (and possibly windows 7, i've never tried it). There is a bug where you have to run the game in windowed mode in order to get it to work. You can switch back to full screen mode once you are actually in game and playing though.

pogo mudder on
    what a work of art is man, and the most boring choice you can make
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ok, great, disabling his firewall allowed the full connection through hamachi. However, we still couldn't get it to work, until, "magically" it started. This must have been around the time I switched to windowed mode so I could mess with the settings more easily. Makes sense! Thanks for your help guys.

Algrun on
  • Options
    hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Algrun wrote: »
    Ok, great, disabling his firewall allowed the full connection through hamachi. However, we still couldn't get it to work, until, "magically" it started. This must have been around the time I switched to windowed mode so I could mess with the settings more easily. Makes sense! Thanks for your help guys.

Did you gather your party before venturing forth?

Seriously, if you still have trouble (the 'it just started working' is a concern) check out Pocket Plane (http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/). They have some mods and patches there that might help, and a forum that's been a big assist to me in the past.

hamdingers on