As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Abandon Hope, Ye Who Enter [Previews Thread] Avoiding Spoilers

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm really looking forward to Ant-Man and the Wasp, but man, Hank Pym's got a weird to-do list.

Munch on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    no that seems about right for a hank pym to-do list

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm months behind on my comix, maybe I will head ot the store tomorrow. I need to see what happens with Frankencastle. I know what happens from an unspoiled preview somewhere, but I want to read it. I have been hesitating about going to the shop because I am dropping everything when I go. I only get about five titles. I'm getting the rest of King City, the rest of Fear Agent, and the issues of Punisher I already ordered, and that is it. Too expensive, too awkward to store, not easy to read.

Anyway, holy shit look at this Punisher preview.

Look at that hang glider
    It is a SKULL

YESSSSS

Remender is awesome and Boschi rocks.

DouglasDanger on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Word. Even when trying to be altruistic it comes across egotistical. Which is what I love about Pym.

"All women need my help"

"I can build fucking heaven yo"

"The whole universe says i'm king scientist"

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Gank wrote: »

Word. Even when trying to be altruistic it comes across egotistical. Which is what I love about Pym.

"All women need my help"

"I can build fucking heaven yo"

"The whole universe says i'm king scientist"

Also just how rediculously over-dramatic it is. "Protect all women in the name of Wasp." "Build heaven for my dead friend." Tim Seeley has Hank Pym down perfectly. Honestly Eric is a better superhero than Hank Pym. At least he is aware of his own issues. The issues Hank Pym is aware of aren't what he needs to be worried about at all.

Solar on
    edited October 2010
    I just love the odd phrasing.

I imagine him fighting some female supervillain, when suddenly he realizes that he must protect all women in Jan's name!! Cue classic EC Comics close-up on his horrified face, complete with dramatic lighting.

Munch on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    I just love the odd phrasing.

I imagine him fighting some female supervillain, when suddenly he realizes that he must protect all women in Jan's name!! Cue classic EC Comics close-up on his horrified face, complete with dramatic lighting.

oh man

can't not picture that now

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I haven't read anything with Ant-Man in a while. Is he still a wonderfully horrible person?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    comix

Hey Douglas, I'm curious: why do you sometimes say "comix" and at other times "comics"? At first I thought that you used "comix" to refer to underground, indie, creator-owned stuff and "comics" for more mainstream things (as I understand it, this was the nomenclature back in the 70s or whatever), but now I'm not sure if I'm correct.

Delduwath on
    edited October 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »
    I haven't read anything with Ant-Man in a while. Is he still a wonderfully horrible person?

Yes, and it is a beautiful thing.

Solar on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Superior #1 preview

Glossed over the actual word balloons, but it looks like Yu's altered his style a bit. The female in the preview doesn't have the usual face from all his past excellent work like High Roads, Avengers, SI, Birthright, etc.

It's not as pronounced a shift as Larocca's has been in changing styles.

TexiKen on
    edited October 2010
    Batch of Marvel previews for 10-13

Thanos Imperative #5 has a nice twist in it, looking good.

TexiKen on
    edited October 2010
    1) I am really glad to see how Fraction has leapt onto the Thor book. i was worried that following JMS and then Gillen the whole Bill/Kelda thing would be dropped, but I'm very glad it hasn't, and the whole disruption of cosmology thing sounds pretty cool, very Kirby.

2) Thanos Imperative yeah!

Solar on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    DouglasDanger on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Are they really dredging up Bill and Kelda

Boourns to that

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Return of Bruce Wayne #5

Pere Perez had to fill-in for 10 pages, smells of last minute rewrites.

TexiKen on
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Return of Bruce Wayne #5

Speaking of delayed Batman comics, I asked Cameron Stewart about Batman And Robin #16.

He's splitting art duties with Frazier Irving because DC didn't mention in advance that it was 32 pages, not 22. Whoops!

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Return of Bruce Wayne #5

Interesting how between the fashion, the medical technology and the street we saw last issue, this seems to take place in some weird 20th century mishmash since Bruce's origin pretty much always has to stay roughly 20 years in the past from any given moment.

MastaP on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Looks a bit like it's the same sort of time as DCAU.

Fencingsax on
    edited October 2010
    Black Panther: Man Without Fear actually looks pretty cool. I'd been discounting it up until now, just because I'd never heard of the writer before. But it looks like it has the potential to be a good noir story, about T'Challa simplifying his life and getting his mojo back.

Munch on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Black Panther: Man Without Fear actually looks pretty cool. I'd been discounting it up until now, just because I'd never heard of the writer before. But it looks like it has the potential to be a good noir story, about T'Challa simplifying his life and getting his mojo back.

I love the art, and putting T'Challa in an urban context is always interesting (I really enjoyed what I read from the Priest run).

It's a little off-putting to have the villain treating Panther like he's a small fry compared to Daredevil, though. Hopefully they don't tone down Panther's abilities too much to fit the lower-level threats he's facing, and instead find a way to build the Hell's Kitchen crime syndicates up.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well, you know what, I like that Panther preview.

I couldn't, for the life of me, begin to understand the point of taking a king and sticking him in Daredevil's territory as a replacement street-level vigilante. What I know of T'Challa, I'm not even aware of who he was before he was king of Wakanda. I just assumed that's what he always was, so, this choice seemed jarring and ill-fitting to me.

Yet, storywise (and also artwise) that preview won me over. And although I've never really believed in such things in the past, this attracts me as one of those much-vaunted 'starting points' for new readers to get into the character. I think this Panther storyline might also serve as an excellent counterpoint to my Batfixation, themewise.

EDIT: I have to wait until December for this? Damn.

Linespider5 on
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The diner scene won me over

MastaP on
    edited October 2010
    Scott Wegener (Atomic Robo) draws Captain America, AIM, Thor, and more in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Munch on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Scott Wegener (Atomic Robo) draws Captain America, AIM, Thor, and more in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Batroc is about to have one hell of a headache going by that cover.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Good to see Wegener getting other work although I won't bother picking the book up myself.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited October 2010
    Ant-Man and the Wasp preview.

I like the writing and art for the most part, with two quibbles: Occasionally Seeley draws men's hands all tiny, and that studded collar on Tigra looks stupid.

Munch on
    edited October 2010

I like the writing and art for the most part, with two quibbles: Occasionally Seeley draws men's hands all tiny, and that studded collar on Tigra looks stupid.

I'm really looking forward to this mini. I just finished re-reading Irredeemable Ant-Man and i'd forgotten how well O'Grady was written in that, especially the last issue, and it seems this series is at least a little in keeping with his previous characterisation.

But yes, the studded collar looks stupid.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    he...he called Tigra a furry in an official book

wow

Antimatter on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Without that collar ("What collar?" :whistle:Badoom-CHING!:whistle:) she isn't wearing enough fabric to legally be shown in an all ages comic book.

O'Grady's antman armor looks wrong.

Caveman Paws on
    edited October 2010
    That can't be an all ages comic book, no way

Antimatter on
    edited October 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »

wow
    To be fair, O'Grady's exactly the kind of douchebag that would do that. And at least Seeley has her hit him with a zinger before she leaves, so she's not just there to be the brunt of a joke.

Munch on
    edited October 2010
    I think it would be kind of funny if they hooked up, actually.

Anyway I am also really looking forward to this book as well. Seems like it's going to be lots of fun.

Solar on
    edited October 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »

wow
    To be fair, O'Grady's exactly the kind of douchebag that would do that. And at least Seeley has her hit him with a zinger before she leaves, so she's not just there to be the brunt of a joke.

I wasn't even sure that Marvel knew of the existence of furries, that it was confined to the internet

but then, Devo's official website has a "Devotee Furry" photo album, so I shouldn't be surprised by anything

Antimatter on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    A lettered preview of Thunderstrike #1 can be found here. It looks ok though it seems like it's not starting off from the first page. About the last page of the preview, which I dropped in the spoiler box below...
    thunderstrike1pg4.jpg

...is it just me or is Steve sporting some serious chin there?

Owenashi on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Before I saw the last panel, and not bothering to read all the text, I thought that Thunderstrike was fighting a rhino, not the Rhino.

That would have been a better comic.

Delduwath on
    edited October 2010
    WAIT

WHEN DID THUNDERSTRIKE COME BACK

YESSSSSS

Antimatter on
    edited October 2010
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Before I saw the last panel, and not bothering to read all the text, I thought that Thunderstrike was fighting a rhino, not the Rhino.

That would have been a better comic.

Had the exact same thought. I was like 'good call eric, good call. But wild rhinos won't understand your sass'

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    AMC dropped a preview for Walking Dead #78

Walking dead 78

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Owenashi wrote: »
    A lettered preview of Thunderstrike #1 can be found here. It looks ok though it seems like it's not starting off from the first page. About the last page of the preview, which I dropped in the spoiler box below...
    thunderstrike1pg4.jpg

...is it just me or is Steve sporting some serious chin there?

D: face put in ink.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg