As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MMA X: Captain Guillotine: Fear the man who has practiced one choke 10,000 times

• Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    His last fight was weird.

He absolutely destroyed his prelim fight, but his 1st house fight was sloppy as hell until the 3rd round when he looked like he did in the prelim fight.

Hopefully that will teach him to open up and try for the win instead of being so timid.

I mean it's understandable. That fight to get INTO the house is balls to the wall, it's all or nothing. For the fights while you're in the house you can see the prize and it seems like the fighters tense up. Every season we see guys that dominate in the opening fight start poking around in their second fight, not pulling the trigger and losing a decision.

Michael got lucky that he was able to pull it out. Hopefully it will teach him to attack more often.

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Every season we see guys that dominate in the opening fight start poking around in their second fight, not pulling the trigger and losing a decision.
    I don't blame them, since there are professionals that still have trouble pulling the trigger nowadays.

cro20cop20gun.jpg

Luckily we've got others who can still do the job.

frank20mir.jpg
    randycouturesexpendable.jpg
    nogexpendables.jpg
    screenshot3gh.jpg
    fedormovie.jpg
    arlovuniv2.jpg
    keithjardinegamer.jpg
    hughes5web.jpg
    ginacaranorussianwithgu.jpg
    shamrock.jpg
    kimboslicegun300x213.jpg
    /Organichu post

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Why is Ken Shamrock in his fighting gear holding a rifle in one arm....

JustinSane07 on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    that was back in the early days of UFC when gun-kata was an acceptable martial art

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    CangoFett wrote: »
    Lets talk about how bad Michael Johnson is, especially at the whole, "Dont let this guy who is otherwise a fish casually stand up when you have his back, rather it be hooks or riding"

Pretty bad.

Worse was that he didn't learn. English clearly had good defense from that position, he was always able to get up from there. Johnson insisted on trying it every time though, even though he was just handing his opponent an escape.
    Thats my point though, his defense was AWFUL.

Standing up is not a legitimate escape when turtled. If that is your escape, your opponent is doing something wrong.

He just stood up.

Didnt climb the fence, nothing.

Hes just all

"oh, this mat is lovely, pip pip guvnah. Jolly good Ill be standing up now, OH you rapscallion it still seems we are engaged in a bout of fisticuffs"

CangoFett on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    To me it looked Johnson got timid after letting the english dude knee him in the face early in the first round.

Dynagrip on
  • fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    All those photos of people holding guns and no Keith Jardine from Gamer?

FOR SHAME!

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
    edited October 2010
    fmz65 wrote: »
    All those photos of people holding guns and no Keith Jardine from Gamer?

FOR SHAME!
    I know not what you speak of, since that post appears to have discovered a few more pics.

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    No fascist police captain / UFC champ Anderson Silva?

silva_bope1.jpeg

Edit: Bruce Leroy in a back yard brawl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ6P0k_XCGM

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
    edited October 2010
    Holy shit, how did Bruce hang on to that Triangle after getting slammed into the ground 3 times. That looked brutal.

Metal Jared on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ugh bare knuckle really?

grow up people.

also he should have added a no homo after that "i take slams all day"

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It kinda seemed like that was where Alex wanted to take that fight, he kept wrapping 'Chocolate' up and closing guard on him, his stand up only seems to either have him dodging away or setting that up. Don't blame him really, venues like that you are likely to contract something from a cut or risk a broken hand, way safer long term to end things quickly with a submission. Friggin no ring security either, ugh...

Blech, its barely above street fighting, so stupid... to think I used to want to do that stuff, god damn hormones.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You know, what do they do, man? It's all meatheads, right? So, you got all stud wrestlers. You know what they are is a modern-day Hammer House. You know what I'm saying? Like, they get together, it's all these big dinosaurs pushing and wrestling each other around, and heaven forbid they should bring in a striker or bring in a guy to teach them to evolve their game. You know, they're really not evolving. You can say Brock's evolved with his jiu-jitsu because he submitted Carwin with a head-and-arm choke. It's not like he armbarred the guy or did an ankle lock or something.

They're just not evolving, man, and I think the sport of mixed martial arts is more like guys like Georges St-Pierre, guys like Nate Marquardt or myself, who are well-rounded, they can do everything. When I'm in camp, I'm constantly training, trying to improve my game and get better at all aspects. Can't say the same for those guys. You know, they go in there and they wrestle. And, you know, he's doing well with it, but I think the sport needs to continue to grow, and I don't think they help the sport grow.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/10/4/1730642/brendan-schaub-on-the-shane-carwin-track-in-the-ufc-heavyweight

1. Lesnar doesn't help the sport grow? He's probably responsible for bringing in more new MMA fans than any individual fighter except Royce Gracie, and maybe Forrest.

2. Didn't Lesnar have Comprido in camp before the Carwin fight? I think he's pretty good at BJJ, but maybe that's just my tendency to overrate every guy who wins Mundials open weight. Twice.

3. "Guys like GSP, Marquardt, and me, Brendan Schaub." LMAO. Which one of these does not belong?

At least Chael didn't go trolling until he had earned his way into title contention.

BubbaT on
  • SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah Really, having confidence in yourself is one thing. But putting yourself amongst those other fighters is just arrogance.
    2uqd406.jpg

Snarfmaster on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    maybe Brendan is trying to drum up some attention and maybe start something with Brock to grow some interest for a matchup between the two

because otherwise what he said seems kind of out of the blue and dumb

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited October 2010
    man making fun of and calling out brock is old passe
    everyone is doing it, even james toney wanted a piece of brock
    shaub should have trolled shogun or something like that
    no one has called out shogun yet

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited October 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    You know, what do they do, man? It's all meatheads, right? So, you got all stud wrestlers. You know what they are is a modern-day Hammer House. You know what I'm saying? Like, they get together, it's all these big dinosaurs pushing and wrestling each other around, and heaven forbid they should bring in a striker or bring in a guy to teach them to evolve their game. You know, they're really not evolving. You can say Brock's evolved with his jiu-jitsu because he submitted Carwin with a head-and-arm choke. It's not like he armbarred the guy or did an ankle lock or something.

They're just not evolving, man, and I think the sport of mixed martial arts is more like guys like Georges St-Pierre, guys like Nate Marquardt or myself, who are well-rounded, they can do everything. When I'm in camp, I'm constantly training, trying to improve my game and get better at all aspects. Can't say the same for those guys. You know, they go in there and they wrestle. And, you know, he's doing well with it, but I think the sport needs to continue to grow, and I don't think they help the sport grow.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/10/4/1730642/brendan-schaub-on-the-shane-carwin-track-in-the-ufc-heavyweight

1. Lesnar doesn't help the sport grow? He's probably responsible for bringing in more new MMA fans than any individual fighter except Royce Gracie, and maybe Forrest.

2. Didn't Lesnar have Comprido in camp before the Carwin fight? I think he's pretty good at BJJ, but maybe that's just my tendency to overrate every guy who wins Mundials open weight. Twice.

3. "Guys like GSP, Marquardt, and me, Brendan Schaub." LMAO. Which one of these does not belong?

At least Chael didn't go trolling until he had earned his way into title contention.
    What he says makes sense. Lesnar helps the sport grow in popularity, but it stagnates the skill set. Folks see winners like Lesnar, Maynard, and Fitch, and they'll want to emulate that lay and pray wrestling style. Schaub is looking forward at the future of the sport like I am, and he also sees the trouble that lay and pray brings.

What he says is true, Lesnar's striking offense and defense sucks. He makes due with ham fists and a football helmet skull. Why learn anything else when you can lay on a guy? It'll come back to haunt Lesnar though if he can't finish an opponent that doesn't gas out like tin can Carwin.

Schaub is a pretty complete fighter with striking and grappling credentials, albeit he isn't at a very high level yet. He's got potential though.

• NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    man making fun of and calling out brock is old passe
    everyone is doing it, even james toney wanted a piece of brock
    shaub should have trolled shogun or something like that
    no one has called out shogun yet

Well, Paulo Filho did recently

but he is mentally ill (and not in the UFC)

I think you have to be mentally ill to call out Shogun anyway

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The man is recovering from surgery, what kind of monster would call him out?

adytum on
    edited October 2010
    Lesnar helps the sport grow in popularity, but it stagnates the skill set. Folks see winners like Lesnar, Maynard, and Fitch, and they'll want to emulate that lay and pray wrestling style

Brock does not really do LnP so why even include him in the same sentence as Fitch or Maynard? Brock has violently finished his opponent in 4 of his 5 wins, man. I'd say he's got some of the most exciting wrestling around. Only against Heath could you even argue that he lay and prayed, and that was because Heath was awful and just turtled up. Even in that fight Brock clocked Heath standing up as well.

And Maynard is as boring on his feet as he is on the ground. It's just who he is as a fighter

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
    edited October 2010
    B:L wrote: »

What he says makes sense. Lesnar helps the sport grow in popularity, but it stagnates the skill set. Folks see winners like Lesnar, Maynard, and Fitch, and they'll want to emulate that lay and pray wrestling style. Schaub is looking forward at the future of the sport like I am, and he also sees the trouble that lay and pray brings.

What he says is true, Lesnar's striking offense and defense sucks. He makes due with ham fists and a football helmet skull. Why learn anything else when you can lay on a guy? It'll come back to haunt Lesnar though if he can't finish an opponent that doesn't gas out like tin can Carwin.

Schaub is a pretty complete fighter with striking and grappling credentials, albeit he isn't at a very high level yet. He's got potential though.

Lesnar is LnP? He's finished in 4 out of 5 wins. How is that comparable to Fitch (finished 43% of wins) or Maynard (finished 20% of wins)?

Schaub going after Lesnar for LnP would be hilarious considering he turns around in the next breath and praises GSP (3 of last 4 wins by decision).
    I fight safe, and I'm not going to hide it.
    I'm fighting safe. Every time I step into the octagon, my life is in jeopardy. For me, it's more important to not get hit than to hit the guy. I will never fight in a way [in which] I fight like I flip a coin.

I never took risks. The only fight I took a risk was when I fought Matt Serra, and I went in a stupid exchange, and it was not smart. I got caught; Serra beat me fair and square, and he deserved the victory that night. But it taught me a good lesson, and I don't want it to happen again.

When I'm standing up, I hit the guy, (and) I pick my angle, and I'm smart. I'm not afraid to say it: I'm not a brawler, and I'm not a coward. I'm not going to trade punch one-for-one with a guy. I'm going to hit the guy and not get hit. That's a smart way to fight.
    http://mmajunkie.com/news/19283/ufc-champ-georges-st-pierre-i-fight-safe-and-im-not-going-to-hide-it.mma

Where's Schaub's attack on GSP for not growing the sport by trading standup with Hardy and Alves?

And Brock is expanding his game. He brought in Comprido, a pretty good BJJer. He brought in Pat Barry, a pretty good kickboxer.

BubbaT on
    edited October 2010
    Lesnar is LnP? He's finished in 4 out of 5 wins. How is that comparable to Fitch (finished 43% of wins) or Maynard (finished 20% of wins)?

Schaub going after Lesnar for LnP would be hilarious considering he turns around in the next breath and praises GSP (3 of last 4 wins by decision).
    Lesnar is LnP except he has ham fists. He finished Couture by lightly tapping his face over and over, he finished Mir by holding him behind his neck and hitting Mir with his own fists, he finished Carwin by squeezing an empty can, and Min-Soo Kim has never lost by decision (getting finished every single time). Lesnar finishes all his fights on the ground, with both his standing and ground striking being awful.

How can you say that GSP isn't active on his feet or on the ground? He's a beloved champion for a reason, and it's because he comes to fight. He fights smart because he doesn't have ham fists or an adamantium skull, but you shouldn't hold that against him.

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    And Brock is expanding his game. He brought in Comprido, a pretty good BJJer. He brought in Pat Barry, a pretty good kickboxer.
    Wait, really?

Oh man, Pat Barry training Brock in the fine art of legkicking would be a sight to see.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Wait, really?

Oh man, Pat Barry training Brock in the fine art of legkicking would be a sight to see.
    Knowing Brock Lesnar, he'll maaybe throw one leg kick that at best will be a Mariusz style one, then go HURF DURF before taking his opponent down and tapping him with ham fists until the ref stops the fight.

edited October 2010
    did brock lesnar piss in your cereal or something? or is this one of those "there can be only one person with these initials" highlander style things going on here

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited October 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    did brock lesnar piss in your cereal or something? or is this one of those "there can be only one person with these initials" highlander style things going on here
    Brock:Lesnar pisses in everyone's cereal.

I'm just telling it like it is. Lesnar's no MMA messiah. He fucked up in WWE, he fucked up in the NFL, and he's going to fuck up here too. There's really no point in discussing the future with Lesnar though since he's probably going to lose the title soon.

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Some day, I want to see Lesnar land a head-level standing side kick and punt someone through the cage.

:3

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    edited October 2010
    hammer fists are awesome

and if you're powerful enough to rattle someones brain with them, I'd say go for it

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
    edited October 2010
    I have a question? Wasn't the whole point of MMA/UFC to decide which fighting style was the best (and by that I mean to show that BJJ was the best)? I can tell you this, if some 150 pound monk comes out of Tibet and starts destroying the MMA world with some made up martial should he start learning BJJ and kickboxing? Or should he just dominate with what he has?

Should Lesnar work on his standup? Yes, absoluttely. But I'm pretty sure Royce Grace didn't have the greatest statndup ever. Lots of guys are good in one thing and tinker with the rest. Why can't Brock just be a good wrestler and use his bear paws to maul people?

No one would be saying shit if he just punched everone to death while standing up. No one says "Man Overeem is awesome but those uberknees and overhand rights? SO LAME that guy needs to work on his BJJ" but just because lesnar uses wrestling along with hammah fists to finish fights people are bitching about it.

Brock wins, Brock finishes fights, that's what matters. If Brock starts winning boring decisions where nothing happens, then kill the guy. Until then enjoy a wrestler who is strong enough to use his skills to bash his opponents. Did you see what he did to Mir? Go watch that fight again. He destroyed Mir with those "ham fists". They weren't gentle, they were devistating.

If Kimbo did the same thing you'd <3 him B:L (and so would I because I <3 Kimbo too)

Metal Jared on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    jared why are you referencing that travesty where mir was robbed by the olympic judges? and from a man who clearly loves mir...

Organichu on
    edited October 2010

Lesnar is LnP except he has ham fists. He finished Couture by lightly tapping his face over and over, he finished Mir by holding him behind his neck and hitting Mir with his own fists, he finished Carwin by squeezing an empty can, and Min-Soo Kim has never lost by decision (getting finished every single time). Lesnar finishes all his fights on the ground, with both his standing and ground striking being awful.

How can you say that GSP isn't active on his feet or on the ground? He's a beloved champion for a reason, and it's because he comes to fight. He fights smart because he doesn't have ham fists or an adamantium skull, but you shouldn't hold that against him.[/QUOTE]

No, Fedor comes to fight, even if it means diving into Werdum's guard or kickboxing a prime Cro Cop.

GSP comes to win. If winning means holding Alves down for half an hour, that's what he'll do.

LnPers don't finish fights at all, giant hands or no. The difference between Brock's ground offense and Fitch's is pretty blatant. And I give GSP credit for improving his BJJ game, even though he couldn't finish Hardy with it, so I certainly give Brock credit for improving his, considering Carwin is a better grappler than Hardy and Lesnar actually finished him.

BubbaT on
    edited October 2010
    LnPers don't finish fights at all, giant hands or no. The difference between Brock's ground offense and Fitch's is pretty blatant. And I give GSP credit for improving his BJJ game, even though he couldn't finish Hardy with it, so I certainly give Brock credit for improving his, considering Carwin is a better grappler than Hardy and Lesnar actually finished him.
    Giant hands make a difference. It's the difference between the ref thinking "Oh, the top guy is staying active. Maybe I shouldn't stand them up" and the ref thinking "Oh, the bottom guy's face is turning into pulp. Maybe I should stop the fight." Lesnar basically tapped Couture to death.

I'm sure GSP could have finished Hardy too, if Hardy mysteriously morphed into a dead fish after round 1. In that case, GSP could finish Carwin as well.

• YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    GSP is no lay and prayer. He may win fights by decision, but he pushes the action in all of them.

After rewatching a couple of old Cain fights, I actually do think Cain is gonna beat Lesnar now.

Yougottawanna on
  • WibodWibod Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

How can you say that GSP isn't active on his feet or on the ground? He's a beloved champion for a reason, and it's because he comes to fight. He fights smart because he doesn't have ham fists or an adamantium skull, but you shouldn't hold that against him.

No, Fedor comes to fight, even if it means diving into Werdum's guard or kickboxing a prime Cro Cop.

GSP comes to win. If winning means holding Alves down for half an hour, that's what he'll do.

6869-JonFitch_0133.jpg
    6869-StPierreFitchUFC87_10019.jpg
    http://media.photobucket.com/image/gsp%20knocking%20down%20alves/chicago65723/MMA/gsp_ufc100_1.gif
    gsp-alves.jpg
    ufc111_10_gsp_vs_hardy_005.jpg

This "GSP IS LAY AN PRAY ARTIST HUURF DERP HERP DERP DERP DERP" is old, stop it.

Wibod on
  • SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Giant hands make a difference. It's the difference between the ref thinking "Oh, the top guy is staying active. Maybe I shouldn't stand them up" and the ref thinking "Oh, the bottom guy's face is turning into pulp. Maybe I should stop the fight." Lesnar basically tapped Couture to death.

I'm sure GSP could have finished Hardy too, if Hardy mysteriously morphed into a dead fish after round 1. In that case, GSP could finish Carwin as well.

Yeah Lesner totally taps people to death. You could tell none of these shots are actually damaging, the ref just stops the fight because Brock's hands are large.

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx166/stickgrapplerblogspot/ufc/ufc100/UFC100-Lesnar-Mir2.gif

Snarfmaster on
    edited October 2010
    I was pretty sure the concensus here was that GSP does not LnP. He wrestles people, punches people and controls people, but that is not LnP. On top of this he outstrikes people on the feet, too.

Lay and Pray is what Gray Maynard is guilty of doing. Holding a guy down, inflicting minimum damage and receiving minimum damage and then winning on the scorecards. There's a huge difference between what GSP does and what Maynard does.

GSP also has 14 finishes and 7 decisions on his record.

He is always going for the finish, but you have to realize that he's usually fighting the very best in a very talented division, so expecting a finish every time is silly. Besides, not all decisions are bad.

For example, look at the Fitch fight. Someone who is just browsing wikipedia to check out GSP's record only sees a decision, when he actually completely destroyed Fitch and dealt a ton of damage.

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Edit: Bruce Leroy in a back yard brawl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ6P0k_XCGM

That was hilarious. Bruce's opponent was way better on the feet, looked like some muay thai training. No wonder Bruce didn't want to let go of the triangle, despite the slams.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Neli wrote: »
    I was pretty sure the concensus here was that GSP does not LnP. He wrestles people, punches people and controls people, but that is not LnP.

Lay and Pray is what Gray Maynard is guilty of doing. Holding a guy down, inflicting minimum damage and receiving minimum damage and then winning on the scorecards.

GSP has 14 finishes and 7 decisions on his record. He is always going for the finish, but you have to realize that he's usually fighting the very best in a very talented division, so expecting a finish every time is silly.

For example, look at the Fitch fight. Someone who is just browsing wikipedia to check out GSP's record only sees a decision, when he actually completely destroyed Fitch and dealt a ton of damage.

Also, GSP doesn't just camp out. He is always moving to pass the guard, something he does very well. He's continually transitioning and looking for subs, along with GnP.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Rich Franklin vs Forrest Griffin has been scheduled and it seems like Carwin/Nelson has as well

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Rich Franklin vs Forrest Griffin has been scheduled and it seems like Carwin/Nelson has as well
    Well those are one-sided fights.

I really wanted to see Mir/Nelson.