As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Pokemon League: East [Now Over :(]

• Samurai KappaSamurai Kappa Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    As far as I'm aware there is no "two on two" battle option. It's an interesting idea that I'd love to see work, but alas we are slaves to the limits of the technology we covet.

Anydangway, about how many badges should we order? Did Leaders from Prime get pretty swamped, or were challengers are bit more few and far between?

Samurai Kappa on
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    We ordered 100 badges each last time, and most of us had some left over.

However, don't order any yet. The badges must have a unified theme, which will be decided on soon. Feel free to kick around your designs in the group, but don't order yet.

Heleor on
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Some of us had a LOT left over, even after giving some away...>>;;

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Samurai KappaSamurai Kappa Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ha, I figured. Do we do a swap with each other? I think it'd be neat to have the whole set as a souvenir.

Samurai Kappa on
  • Lady StarstormLady Starstorm Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    I signed up on the forums for this too! I've already emailed you the deets, but thought I'd post here for others' benefit/knowledge. I'll be doing an Ice-type team. :)

Lady Starstorm on
  • iDEViNEiDEViNE Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I sent the E-mail out today. :)

I'll be there. Expect a tough match from me.

iDEViNE on
    edited October 2010
    Thanks for sending the email, iDevine - it got marked as Spam from GMail and I had to fish it out myself. :)

If anyone sent an email and did not get a response, please post here or get in touch with me in some other way!

Heleor on
  • ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ha, I figured. Do we do a swap with each other? I think it'd be neat to have the whole set as a souvenir.

I think this would be cool thing for gym leaders to do. I'd be more than up for it.

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • thespiffyneostarthespiffyneostar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    a simple word on a possible double battle gym:
    I think it would be a great great great idea, but it would be really tought to set up because of the following reasons
    1. you'd have to be with this person at ALL times during PAX (or at least whenever possible)
    2. Challengers would have to find a buddy to battle the gym with.

I think that having a challenger find a buddy to battle is actually a good thing, because it will help build our community and such. As for it being a double battle gym, I think it would be 2 badges for each person for beating them because of the extra hassle.

THAT ALL BEING SAID: IUt is up to andrei if he wants it at PAX East, and I would STRONGLY urge you to only set up a double battle gym with someone you know IRL who is also going, who you can spend an entire weekend with.

thespiffyneostar on
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Double Gym Battle: A Noob Opinion*

I like the idea. I don't think it's an issue to have the 2 people together because, if I understand correctly, you can have certain times when you are and aren't available for challenges. So if the duo splits up for an hour or 2, they just aren't available for challenges then.
    Can't you have both the gym peeps with fewer than 6 Pokemon and the challenger has to do both right in a row? You could make a rule about if one of your Pokemon was KO'd it'd have to be removed from your party before you fight the second leader or something.
    I don't know. I'm just throwing ideas here because I like the concept.

*Played original gold/silver ages ago, but I don't own/haven't played HG/SS so I'm not working with a full deck here, so to speak. I do want to pick one up soon though so I can participate at East!

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • Blackfox138Blackfox138 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My two pennies:

When one of the dual GL doesn't want to battle, couldn't they give their DS to the other GL? That way if one wants to go get lunch/do something else, they can.

Unfortunately, there is no "battle for three" (one challenger, 2 GL) that I can remember. There is however, "battle for two" (includes double battles) and "battle for four" (which I've never tried). I think it would be cool though if at one of the meet-ups there were people running around trying to find a buddy to take on the dual GL's.

Don't forget, the goal is to have more GL than badges necessary to challenge the E4, so if a challenger can't find a buddy, no problem. Just don't challenge that gym.

Blackfox138 on
    edited October 2010
    punzie wrote: »
    I like the idea. I don't think it's an issue to have the 2 people together because, if I understand correctly, you can have certain times when you are and aren't available for challenges.

The unavailable for challenges clause I prefer to see used as little as possible. If you're currently walking somewhere that's at a specific time or such you can choose to decline challenges, but I don't want people not taking challenges for an entire day at a time just because their partner wandered off.

Heleor on
    edited October 2010
    Well, my team is locked in. All I need is the badges and they are easy to attain.

I'm just training for it now :)

iDEViNE on
    edited October 2010
    We got a new email. We have about 12 people currently signed up, but we're definitely still looking for more! :)

Heleor on
  • largo233largo233 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't intend to sign for being a GL, but I do have a question.

Could this include battles against people such as Rocket Grunts?

largo233 on
    We may understand technology, medicine, the world, and the universe, but if we don't understand ourselves, we are destined to fail.

My personal quote.
    edited October 2010
    largo233 wrote: »

Oh, I do so hope we have Rocket Grunts at East! The Rockets from PAX Prime were so fantastic!

Propriety on
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
    edited October 2010
    That's all dependent on if Matev is coming or not.

(See? You're wanted! You better come! :P)

Heleor on
  • largo233largo233 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Propriety wrote: »
    largo233 wrote: »

Oh, I do so hope we have Rocket Grunts at East! The Rockets from PAX Prime were so fantastic!

Funny that my MP3 player (I'm not cool enough for an iPod) has the Rocket battle theme from HG/SS on it. I'll so having that playing if and when I battle them.

Once I get a new DS, that is. My last one broke over here in Afghanistan and I am in need of a new one. It's lucky they do sell them here, but I'm holding out for a 3DS. Oh well. Least I still have my games and, thus, my SS team.

Also, if someone cosplays as Ash or one of the main anime characters, I'm battling them for bragging rights :P.

largo233 on
    We may understand technology, medicine, the world, and the universe, but if we don't understand ourselves, we are destined to fail.

My personal quote.
    edited October 2010
    I know, I know, I want to come along, I'm getting things sorted out to do so

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sent you an email. I am gonna give it a go. :)

I'll definitely have time for it!

Rdr on
    edited October 2010
    We're still open for leaders! Just send an email!

iDEViNE on
    edited October 2010
    Pssst, we're not giving out that info yet.

(Disregard him, he's new. :P)

Heleor on
  • RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'd totally sign up to be a gym leader if I wasn't cosplaying something non-pokemon related that needed my full attention/energy for one of the days. That being said, I'm still bringing my HG and plan on getting as many badges as I can, E4 or no. And I'm already registered for all three days, so I have the time!

Is it possible to be a Rocket Grunt for two days instead of all three? I might be up to making another costume, depending on my money situation.

RainbowTunnel on
    edited October 2010
    All the Rocket Grunt stuff is put square into the hands of Matev - who hasn't even decided if he was going yet.

Looking forward to you challenging us, though. :)

Heleor on
    edited October 2010
    So we're getting really close to cutting off public leader applications. If you know anyone that may be interested, please mention this to them.

We have four guaranteed spots left open.

Heleor on
    edited October 2010
    What level pokemon will the GL/E4 have? Will they have a range, or can we expect them to be ridiculously high?

That, and did everyone get Mew yet? : P

RainbowTunnel on
    edited October 2010
    Since HG/SS has flat battle, Level 50. ;)

Heleor on
    edited October 2010
    Ohh that's what you're using? I thought you were just doing the regular hookup... >_>
    Thanks for answering, though. (:

RainbowTunnel on
    edited October 2010
    Flat Battle just makes life easier for everyone. It allows more people to participate in the game without having to have spent months tricking out level 100s, but also a range of competitiveness with fully-evolved teams.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited October 2010
    Any Pokemon that's EV trained and bred for IVs preserves their stat advantage, but casual players with a rag-tag team can also be (somewhat) competitive in flat battle.

Heleor on
    edited October 2010
    Perhaps we should do lvl 100 instead? It's alot more fun. :]

iDEViNE on
    edited October 2010
    lvl 100 would be epic, but I don't have the time to train my team with college apps. Maybe GL should be lvl 50 and E4 should be lvl 100s?

RainbowTunnel on
    edited October 2010
    It will be base lvl 100. It's pretty fun.

iDEViNE on
    edited October 2010
    ...I have no idea what Devine is smoking. There's no level 100 battle mode on local WiFi. We're not forcing the challengers to level up to 100 for this. O_o;

That's the whole reason flat battle exists.

Heleor on
  • GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    And it's worth repeating, flat battle only brings you down to 50, not up to 50. Very important point to note.

Though at Prime, out of the five people I faced only one wanted to use flat battle.

Gameshark on
    edited October 2010
    Wasn't aware there wasn't a flat 100 on local wi-fi. :P

Don't hate mah noobiness.

iDEViNE on
    edited October 2010
    Heleor wrote: »
    ...I have no idea what Devine is smoking. There's no level 100 battle mode on local WiFi. We're not forcing the challengers to level up to 100 for this. O_o;

That's the whole reason flat battle exists.

I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to participate in this 'cause of Devine saying it'd be base 100.... thank you for calming my heart attack.

RainbowTunnel on
  • ottoman673ottoman673 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What level pokemon will the GL/E4 have? Will they have a range, or can we expect them to be ridiculously high?

That, and did everyone get Mew yet? : P

Mew is powerful as hell.

just sayin'.

ottoman673 on
    PAX East 2012 Checklist: [x] 3 Day Pass [x] Time off Work [x] Flight [x] Hotel
    edited October 2010
    Level 100 is absolutely preposterous. I'm aiming to have my team around 50-60, I think, and will likely preferably engage in flat battles. Level differences should never impede enjoyment of the sport of battle!

Propriety on
    edited October 2010
    Propriety wrote: »
    Level 100 is absolutely preposterous. I'm aiming to have my team around 50-60, I think, and will likely preferably engage in flat battles. Level differences should never impede enjoyment of the sport of battle!

I never meant to train your pokemon to level 100. I meant (Incorrectly might I add) that the flat levels be raised to 100 like over Nintendo Wi-fi.

Now, once again, I was mistaken.

iDEViNE on