As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2011 Information and FAQ Thread (QUESTIONS GO HERE!)

• ChinkeeChinkee Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hey guys! New to the forums. But I was a PAX East last year and there was a group discount last time. I don't see it on the registration section of the website this time. Will there be a Group discount this coming year?? I'm in the Video Game Music club at my college so there are obviously more than 10 people that would be willing to go. So yay or nay on the Group Discounts for next years Pax East??

Chinkee on
  • ChinkeeChinkee Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ok, nevermind. Found a link to the source of the answer. Lol. My bad

Chinkee on
  • DachandeDachande Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm sure I saw this answered a few times during the leadup to PAX East 2010, but I can't remember the answer.

I live in Canada, and made two separate orders for a total of four 3-day passes. Based on some very recent changes in my career, I may end up moving between now and when the badges are sent out. Now, unfortunately, because FedEx is being used for international orders for the badges, the badges will not be automatically be redirected to my new address (only stuff sent by USPS or Canada Post would go through that system).

Now, I don't have the details of where exactly I'll be living yet, but I'm 95% sure this will happen. Is there some way I can adjust the mailing address for my badges, or possibly switch them to will-call after the fact? I'd even be willing to switch them immediately to a friend's address, just to ensure it's all taken care of now.

tl;dr - What are my options to change delivery info for badges after purchasing?

Dachande on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    I have moved since buying my PAX passes. How do I change my address information to ensure that my passes get mailed to my current address and not my previous address?
    First, you should submit a change of address through the USPS. This will ensure all mail sent to your previous address is sent to your current address. As far as changing your registration, e-mail the updated information to:Cathy Glickstein, Senior Registration Manager, Reed Exhibitions, cglickstein@reedexpo.com

You did read the first post of this thread, right?

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
    edited October 2010
    whypick1 wrote: »
    You did read the first post of this thread, right?

Yes, I read that, but I wasn't sure how much of it applied to my situation. Being an international order, USPS has nothing to do with my address and FedEx (being a private courier) won't look at my Canada Post change of address info.

I figured contacting Cathy Glickstein was my next best option, but the term used there is "changing your registration", and I didn't know if that was synonymous with "changing your address", or if it was related to another portion of the Expo (ie: BYOC, exhibitors, etc...).

Dachande on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    International tickets are picked up at willcall, you don't have to worry about shipping at all.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    BigRed wrote: »
    International tickets are picked up at willcall, you don't have to worry about shipping at all.

Except his previous post implies that he paid for international FedEx shipping.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

I thought people had the option to FedEx them, which was what Dachande referenced?

Heleor on
    edited October 2010
    Except his previous post implies that he paid for international FedEx shipping.
    Heleor wrote: »
    I thought people had the option to FedEx them, which was what Dachande referenced?

Right, I ordered my tickets with the FedEx option, then received career-changing news a few days later that will require a move in the next few months.

So, that being settled, does anyone know if e-mailing Cathy Glickstein (cglickstein@reedexpo.com) will take care of this, or is that not her role? Basically, I know the order hasn't already gone out to Fedex (and won't for a few months), so as long as I can get in touch with the right person, I can just change the address to a friend's and then not worry about it.

Dachande on
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, she should be able to take care of you.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• largo233largo233 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    bushnrvn wrote: »
    First of all, hi. I am new. :)

So, Pax East 2011 will be my first PAX. I have already pre-registered and I am totally stoked. As it stands right now I am going to be traveling alone (my friend decided he doesn't want to go anymore - lame) so I came to the forums to see if any meetups were being planned.

So far I've read tidbit about a Pre-Pax dinner and the PAX train. These sound totally awesome and I have been trying to get some details but I haven't been able to find a specific thread or post for either. Maybe I just need to lurk more, but at any rate, everyone here seems super helpful and awesome and I was just wondering if someone would be so kind and explain to a total PAX noob what is being planned/where I can take part in the discussion. :)

Thanks!

So I'm not the only one that's gonna be a first at this event :D.

Also, for me, if my girlfriend goes with me, we cannot take a plane (she refuses to fly and I want her to come), so more than likely we are taking a bus. We live in Missouri. Yea...this is gonna be a lot of fun.

largo233 on
    We may understand technology, medicine, the world, and the universe, but if we don't understand ourselves, we are destined to fail.

My personal quote.
    edited October 2010
    You could always take the train. Last year we had a coordinated schedule to get as many people on the same trains as possible. I'll be setting up the same thing this year. Hopefully the thread for that will go up within the next week.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• largo233largo233 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    To be completely honest with you, good sir, I have no idea if there is a train service where I live (Joplin, MO) and I don't intend to leave my vehicle anywhere but at my house for the duration of PAX. I do know there's a bus station in Joplin, hence why we're more than likely taking the bus.

Plus, for some reason, I just like bus trips. I don't know why.

largo233 on
    We may understand technology, medicine, the world, and the universe, but if we don't understand ourselves, we are destined to fail.

My personal quote.
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    largo233 wrote: »
    To be completely honest with you, good sir, I have no idea if there is a train service where I live (Joplin, MO) and I don't intend to leave my vehicle anywhere but at my house for the duration of PAX. I do know there's a bus station in Joplin, hence why we're more than likely taking the bus.

Plus, for some reason, I just like bus trips. I don't know why.

According to amtrak.com here's the closest stations:
    Warrensburg, MO (WAR) - 123. miles
    Lee's Summit, MO (LEE) - 126. miles
    Sedalia, MO (SED) - 132. miles
    etc

Rdr on
  • LimondLimond Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I know this question is more for future PAX Easts. But any predictions for when they open earlier then 2 on fridays? (going to have to be at the venue for more then 1 year to answe this obviously)

Also bringing some foul weather with this question. If the East Coast is hit with some big blizzards again is there a contigincency plan or other things we should know about for planning our trip?

Finally just a comment. I am so glad to hear the have/need ticket thread will only be going for face value on the boards. Upsets me when people buy bulk and makes hundreds of dollars off of people.

Limond on
    One clip, one kill.

I am a monster truck that walks like a man.
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Lim, where are you coming from? Even if it snows, it just makes it harder to get around, but it's not impossible. The city usually doesn't see much snow, just cold.

schuss on
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Limond wrote: »
    Also bringing some foul weather with this question. If the East Coast is hit with some big blizzards again is there a contigincency plan or other things we should know about for planning our trip?

If you mean getting TO Boston, yeah, the blizzards suck in that regard especially if you're flying in. I would imagine the Show Would Go On regardless. But if there's a blizzard while you're there you just get to walk in the snow a bit. It's not so bad.

And they're not even a yearly occurrence, so I wouldn't sweat it.

antherem on
    edited October 2010
    schuss wrote: »
    Lim, where are you coming from? Even if it snows, it just makes it harder to get around, but it's not impossible. The city usually doesn't see much snow, just cold.

Im coming from just south of Baltimore, Maryland. Reason I ask is that every city/state has different regards to whats closed and what not. Understand travel delays due to it but individual building policy towards it.

And I love the snow and the cold. Im just looking out for my PAX first since that comes far less often.

Limond on
    One clip, one kill.

• shadowhaxorshadowhaxor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Limond wrote: »
    I know this question is more for future PAX Easts. But any predictions for when they open earlier then 2 on fridays? (going to have to be at the venue for more then 1 year to answe this obviously)

Finally just a comment. I am so glad to hear the have/need ticket thread will only be going for face value on the boards. Upsets me when people buy bulk and makes hundreds of dollars off of people.

Hey Lim, this will be my first PAX as well... and I'll be coming from Delaware. If you get any info, can you pass it my way?

Thanks

shadowhaxor on
    c2e0b3ede0e50567dda8a3249038f379.png
    edited October 2010
    Im sure all information will be posted here shadowhaxor, but if I get anything ill be sure to post about it here. Not my first PAX just didn't give winter weather and concern last year since it was pretty much the end of the season.

Limond on
    One clip, one kill.

• It's not a tumorIt's not a tumor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    No hotel registration information yet? Seems like they're a bit late getting it up. :?

It's not a tumor on
    edited October 2010
    Last I heard they were aiming for Wednesday. I know it's supposed to go up this week for sure though.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• nightmaresiegenightmaresiege Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    I'm not sure if this has been posted before and I apologize in advance if it has. I wanted to know if it's common/proper to distribute resumes and/or ask companies about job openings at PAX.

nightmaresiege on
    edited October 2010
    Most likely they will just tell you to go to their site to look for job openings.

PAX is a place for game companies/devs to talk to their consumers, not really to source new talent :P

BigRed on
  • nightmaresiegenightmaresiege Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    Most likely they will just tell you to go to their site to look for job openings.

PAX is a place for game companies/devs to talk to their consumers, not really to source new talent :P
    Super fast response :). Thanks. Just wondering, could've sworn I saw someone doing that in East '10. It's still gonna be fun though. Can't wait.

nightmaresiege on
    edited October 2010
    Well you could certainly ask and hand them a business card or something, but don't be surprised if they refer you to their careers page on their website.

BigRed on
    edited October 2010
    You're probably better off trading business cards than anything. GDC is more of a job hunting venue than PAX is, to be honest.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• computational_linguistcomputational_linguist Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    any idea about indies showcasing this year?
    I really hope the expo hall is much bigger since the venue is going to be bigger :)

computational_linguist on
    edited October 2010
    That information hasn't even been decided yet and likely won't be released until some time in February.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• rkenshinrkenshin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If I plan on staying at a hotel till Saturday night then flying out Sunday evening, is it possible that the BCEC to hold my luggage for a fee then enjoy the last day before heading home?

rkenshin on
    edited October 2010
    rkenshin wrote: »
    If I plan on staying at a hotel till Saturday night then flying out Sunday evening, is it possible that the BCEC to hold my luggage for a fee then enjoy the last day before heading home?

Your hotel will almost certainly do this for you (but remember to tip the bellman!), unless you booked some $20/night fleabag place with half the letters falling off its sign. Give them a call if you're concerned but any 3+ star place is going to have a bag check at the front desk.

antherem on
  • BigSassyBigSassy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    rkenshin wrote: »

At the last PAX their was a $3 or so fee to check luggage at the convention center. Made things WAY easier for me on Sunday.

Also, I have a question. What's time does the closing ceremonies end on Sunday roughly? Around 7:00? Around 10:00?

BigSassy on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    6 or 7PM.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Mystery2UMystery2U Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    What's up with the Hotels link? It's back to "Coming Soon"!?!

--John

Mystery2U on
    edited October 2010
    Mystery2U wrote: »
    What's up with the Hotels link? It's back to "Coming Soon"!?!

--John

The site hasn't been updated yet; in the meantime this link should get you there, or check the hotel discussion/poll thread.

Edited since this is now an awful TOTP: The link is there on paxsite.com now.

antherem on
  • KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This has probably been asked/discussed already, but what are the general times that Pax is "open?" I know the first day it opens a little later, but I know the other days are earlier, just don't know when!

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
    edited October 2010
    from the OP
    What are the hours of PAX?
    EVENT HOURS
    Friday, March 11th - 2pm to 2am
    Saturday, March 12th - 10am to 2am
    Sunday, March 13th - 10am to 7pm
    EXHIBIT HALL HOURS
    Friday, March 11th - 2pmm to 7pm
    Saturday, March 12th - 10am to 6pm
    Sunday, March 13th - 10am to 6pm

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    from the OP
    What are the hours of PAX?
    EVENT HOURS
    Friday, March 11th - 2pm to 2am
    Saturday, March 12th - 10am to 2am
    Sunday, March 13th - 10am to 7pm
    EXHIBIT HALL HOURS
    Friday, March 11th - 2pmm to 7pm
    Saturday, March 12th - 10am to 6pm
    Sunday, March 13th - 10am to 6pm

/facepalm

Gotta get used to the spoiler clickies! Thanks. :)

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
  • KingJaayKingJaay Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I remember there were rules about running private tournaments. Can anyone guide me to a current list of these bylaws. I'm thinking of making it to PaxEast 2011 and bring some gear. thanks.

KingJaay on
    edited October 2010
    Best way to get an answer to a question like this would be to e-mail pax_questions@paxsite.com

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.