As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Strategic Incompetence of Democrats

1141516171820»

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    5002042490_f76d3f1690_z.jpg

[strike]Hitler[/strike] Osama

Like I said, conflating the two is different than arguing over harm done.

That being said, its probably not a safe approach if you want to talk about how shitty a Judge Scalia is, meritorious or not.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wishing harm on someone because you disagree with their politics... I find that extremly disgusting, to put it as politely as I can. They're is more to life than politics. You can strongly disagree with someone without wishing them harm.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Jean wrote: »
    Wishing harm on someone because you disagree with their politics... I find that extremly disgusting, to put it as politely as I can. They're is more to life than politics. You can strongly disagree with someone without wishing them harm.

This sort of makes it impossible to hope for a better Supreme Court.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »
    mrdobalina wrote: »
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    mrdobalina wrote: »
    I'm glad you approve, especially because I'm sure you've never hoped for anyone, say Osama Bin Laden, to die.

Also, considering a lot of the downright terrible things you've espoused in the past, I find this statement rather ironic.

Are you actually trying to equate Osama bin Laden with Roberts and Scalia, that wishing death upon any one of them is morally equivalent to the other?
    Not at all.

The US would be much further ahead if Scalia kicked it tomorrow than if Osama did.

That this position can even be put forth here without loudly proclaimed disdain from the group is incredibly disgusting.

For the last couple years I've popped in and out of this forum and seen some pretty out there opinions, but none were so morally reprehensible as this line of thinking. You, wwtMask and anyone else that puts any type of parity between a terrorist and a Supreme Court Justice you disagree with has a lot of growing up to do, and although I've tried to give people the benefit of the doubt when it comes to their line of thinking, yours and his are pretty unfathomable.

Bottom line is, I can't continue to even partially associate with this kind of bullshit. If the mods are going to start slapping hands for name calling, then I'll save them the trouble and just excuse myself for good.

I actually mentioned Bin Laden to see if you thought wishing someone dead was ever okay to do. I mean, you support the death penalty, don't you? People who are executed have had far, FAR less negative impact on the lives of American citizens than Scalia and Thomas had. There, is that a better comparison, or are you going to belly-ache about that too? Believe it or not, it's possible to do evil and harm others without killing them.

All of Mrdobalina's hand-waving bullshit regarding Scalia is just that, pure bullshit. Scalia thinks individuals have zero rights, other than what states give them. State thinks you shouldn't have sex unless it's through plastic sheets? Fuck you, start buying plastic sheets. If a state were to suddenly impose theocratic law, he would have zero problem with it.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Let's be honest, wishing someone dead for ANY reason is morally dubious. The difference is in where you, personally, draw the line. If you think there is ever a good time to wish someone dead, then you have no moral standing to criticize me for where I draw the line.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah the shit Scalia believes goes beyond "politics".

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I hope for a better Supreme Court.

I also don't want Scalia to be assassinated or hit by a bus.

I do think he's a stupid dick.

I don't think he's Osama bin Laden.

Dunno, my mind currently isn't exploding from dissonance. I guess its possible.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Furthermore, considering the amount of eliminationist rhetoric that has spewed forth from the right over the past several decades, I find dobalina's handwringing over this to be a tad...hypocritical.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Let's be honest, wishing someone dead for ANY reason is morally dubious. The difference is in where you, personally, draw the line. If you think there is ever a good time to wish someone dead, then you have no moral standing to criticize me for where I draw the line.

I would rather Scalia step down, I think we all would

He isn't going to, if he wasn't supreme court justice anymore that is what would make me happy. How that comes to pass is unimportant.

override367 on
    edited October 2010

Come on, the guy is pro-sodomy laws. I think we can objectively categorize him as a stupid dick.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I'm just saying there are two ways to get a better SCOTUS:

1) Scalia/Thomas/Alito/Roberts grows a conscience, heart, soul, and a sense of compassion.
    2) One of those four die.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Jean: I would like to point out that politics can affect people's lives, livelyhood, freedom, etc. You may think there is more to life than politics but you must realize politics really effects your life and other people's lives in many ways. Food stamps, welfare, social security, Medicare, Medicaid, etc. These things are intrinsically tied to politics and they keep people eating and living. So please don't dismiss politics as if it were some sort of thing we can all ignore.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Styrofoam: did you read that wrong? PotatoNinja did call him a stupid dick.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    edited October 2010

heh, I did indeed.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I imagine its a sarcastic remark that he's not a dick as a matter of opinion but a dick as a matter of fact.

Which isn't true, but if it could be true Scalia would probably be a great example of it.

I'm not interested in defending the guy, he's a laughable hypocrite. I am interested in having a modicum of intelligence in any debates here, and "OSAMA = SCALIA" is fucking stupid and anyone who pursues that line of logic or argument should be ashamed.

Don't argue that people are "Un-american." Don't compare people to terrorists unless they're actually terrorists. Don't accuse people of secretly subscribing to Kenyan Liberation philosophies. Don't be a stupid dick.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    look

let's just stop the talk about the death of SC justices

and comparisons to bin laden or hitler okay?

we are better than this

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Actually I think it is a great example of the strategic incompetence of Democrats. Rather than find constructive ways to improve the party, we talk about masturbatory visions of the future.

big l on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think we pretty well covered the bases re: what needs to be done earlier in the thread. Everything else has more or less been about general left leaning/Democratic issues.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think what needs to be done is the senate needs to be abolished. Then lots of things get better.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think what needs to be done is the senate needs to be abolished. Then lots of things get better.

But what would we do with the building?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    agoaj wrote: »

Turn it into a cat Senate to show those Canadians how we do things in AMERICA!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Parliamentary_Cats

Couscous on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    agoaj wrote: »

Why don't we just cut the senate out of the process but not tell them? Let them keep going to work, they never actually pass anything so they wouldn't notice that they've been mothballed for ages

override367 on
  • Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    P-please give me my stapler. I need my stapler.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Rachel Maddow's piece right now is amazing. Those senior citizens are better at explaining why people should vote for Democrats than Obama or any Democratic politician has been.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2010
    I think we pretty well covered the bases re: what needs to be done earlier in the thread. Everything else has more or less been about general left leaning/Democratic issues.

Yes, I think you're right. And now that the thread has moved onto wishing death upon people across the aisle(seriously, what the fuck is wrong with some of you yahoos?), I think I can lock it without losing any sleep.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
This discussion has been closed.