As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The 2010 Nobel Prizes - And the Economics Prahahaha who cares

ButlerButler 89 episodes or bustRegistered User regular
edited October 2010 in Social Entropy++
The 2010 Nobel Prizes are underway! Winning one of these is pretty cool. Some say that if you bite into the medal, you can actually taste Alfred Nobel's remorse.

Categories

Medicine & Physiology: Awarded to Robert Edwards of the UK, for his work in developing IVF. Edwards developed the technique with Patrick Steptoe, but since he passed away in '88 and the award cannot be made posthumously Edwards gets it aaaall to himself. The Vatican is apparently getting its knickers in a twist over this, because precious [strike]bodily fluids[/strike] embryos are wasted in the IVF process, but scientists have yet to confirm whether anyone in the Vatican wears knickers anyway.

Physics: Awarded to Andre Geim and (the mysterious) Konstantin Novoselov for the discovery of Graphene.

Chemistry: Awarded to Richard F. Heck, Ei-ichi Negishi and Akira Suzuki for palladium-catalyzed cross couplings in organic synthesis.

Literature: Awarded to Mario Vargas Llosa for "his cartography of the structures of power and his trenchant images of the individual’s resistance, revolt and defeat."

Peace: Awarded to Liu Xiaobo for "his non-violent struggle for human rights in China".

Economic Sciences: Awarded to Professor Peter Diamond, Professor Dale Mortenson and Christopher Pissarides, for "their analysis in markets with search frictions".

Follow other updates on the official website.

Butler on

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There should be a nobel prize for sandwiches

you know like

give it to the guy who invented I Can't Believe It's Not Butter or the pioneers of the inverted grilled cheese

#pipe on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    guys I'm gonna win the peace prize

I didn't punch anyone this week

YaYa on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I was reading through the list of past winners of the Literature prize and I recognised maybe five of them.

Butler on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Butler wrote: »
    I was reading through the list of past winners of the Literature prize and I recognised maybe five of them.

That's four more than me, I could just spot Seamus Heaney.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I recognized 20, which isn't too bad since I had one (Japanese) literature class.

Iloveslimes on
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    did the guy who invented hammocks get a nobel prize

because he should

Beasteh on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The livestream on nobelprize.org has opened but I can't get it to start. Is the traffic too heavy? I've no idea how many or few people would be hitting the site right now.

Butler on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    about half an hour until physics is announced apparently

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Beasteh wrote: »
    did the guy who invented hammocks get a nobel prize

because he should

The Nobel Prize for Relaxomics.

Also I think Obama should win for Peace again.

#pipe on
  • Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    YaYa wrote: »
    guys I'm gonna win the peace prize

I didn't punch anyone this week

aw man I knew I shouldn't have punched that one guy

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    quick how do you unpunch someone hurry there's not much time left

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Invent a depunching machine and you'll scoop the Peace Prize yourself.

It's not announced until Friday! There's still time!

Butler on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    okay I've got it. It's a claw that rips away the part of the body you punched

sure you punched his face but his face isn't there anymore so he should get over it

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Wimble you'll be using that medal as a coaster in no time.

Butler on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Andre Geim, Konstantin Novoselov for discovery of graphene

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The winners are... these two dudes! For their work with graphene.

Butler on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    TOO SLOW OLD MAN

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Wimble in a minute I'm going to need to borrow your depunching machine.

Butler on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    punch his typing hand

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    but that's both of them

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    oh really?

now we know how he beat you, butler. He is cheating!

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    what's graphene

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It's what's for dinner

and by "for dinner" I mean "linked in the OP"
    The short version is that graphene is a single one of the carbon sheets that compose graphite.

Butler on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    the short version bores me

I wanna see cool stuff I didn't already know about! I guess that is not what the nobel prizes are about though

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yes but why should I care

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    what's a carbon sheet

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Oh, the Chemistry Award has been won by Richard F. Heck, Ei-ichi Negishi and Akira Suzuki "for palladium-catalyzed cross couplings in organic synthesis".

This article explains it in a little more detail. It's essentially a toolkit for synthesising complex organic molecules? I think? So yeah, go these guys.

Butler on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I could've done that but I didn't want to

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The next award is literature. That should be easier to follow. I mean, we all know what a book is, right? I don't need to make the word "book" a hyperlink do I?

Butler on
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    is that the thing I see on the tv sometimes

M.D. on
  • Options
    thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Butler wrote: »
    The next award is literature. That should be easier to follow. I mean, we all know what a book is, right? I don't need to make the word "book" a hyperlink do I?

You'll probably have to link to some obscure, European author, though. I hope it's something that actually in print in the US this year so I can get it in my store.

thanimations on
  • Options
    TaskmanTaskman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Palladium catalysis sounds like it could make life a lot easier. Used to be (and still often is) the case that if you needed an organic molecule you had to get it from an organic source, or put a gene into a bacteria to produce it if it wasn't easy to get hold of. There was a lot of clean up, and often you got it out by smashing open whatever it was in and centrifuging/ dissolving/ preferentially bonding the remains. Making organic molecules from inorganic substrates could potentially be a huge hassle and not exactly energy efficient. If this makes it easier to bond organic molecules from inorganic components, we might see a big jump in organic polymer production (organic plastics). Gonna go read up on this.

Taskman on
    uGn5f.png
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The best thing about the Physics one is that it literally involves something called the scotch tape method.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    read that as phalladium

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Taskman wrote: »
    Palladium catalysis sounds like it could make life a lot easier. Used to be (and still often is) the case that if you needed an organic molecule you had to get it from an organic source, or put a gene into a bacteria to produce it if it wasn't easy to get hold of. There was a lot of clean up, and often you got it out by smashing open whatever it was in and centrifuging/ dissolving/ preferentially bonding the remains. Making organic molecules from inorganic substrates could potentially be a huge hassle and not exactly energy efficient. If this makes it easier to bond organic molecules from inorganic components, we might see a big jump in organic polymer production (organic plastics). Gonna go read up on this.

These are well-established reactions that have been known for decades, so I would not expect an explosion of new stuff based on these reactions.

I wonder why Stille (organostannane compounds) was not selected instead of Negishi (organozinc) or Suzuki (organoborane).

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I imagine Stille must be fucking steamed right now.

Butler on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I bet its because organostannane compounds stink like peppers and the Nobel committee hates peppers.

Baidol on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    #pipe wrote: »
    what's graphene

Linked carbon atoms in a thin sheet (like 1 atom thick) that is extremely strong, lightweight, and very conductive. It could revolutionize aerospace materials, vehicles, and replace copper and silicon in electronics.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hah, so I'm reading the BBC article on the Nobel Prize in Chemistry and there's a paragraph talking about discodermolide, a compound mentioned in the article Butler linked, which I'm assuming was where the information was lifted directly off of.

Baidol on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010