As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Social Network] Not really about Facebook

• Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    syndalis wrote: »
    This film is not one linear set of facts from one storyteller.

Then why leave out the girlfriend and make up a new one? Why make FaceMash into a rate-a-girl site instead of a rate-a-person site? Sorkin and Fincher chose what to include in the story, what to leave out, and how to change what actually occurred to tell the fake narrative they wanted to tell.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Then why leave out the girlfriend and make up a new one? Why make FaceMash into a rate-a-girl site instead of a rate-a-person site? Sorkin and Fincher chose what to include in the story, what to leave out, and how to change what actually occurred to tell the fake narrative they wanted to tell.

Because its a movie and the general goal of movies is to be entertaining.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited October 2010

And as I said, entertainment doesn't justify lies.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think the general consensus is you're taking this more seriously than a twilight fan at midnight release. Which is to say, much too seriously.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • DraperDraper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010

And as I said, entertainment doesn't justify lies.

Yes it does. I take it you've never lied to anyone your entire life considering how unbelievably, overbearingly judgemental you're being. If you were this irritating in a group discussion at a bar or something, everyone else at the table would leave 5 minutes in. Your opinion is childish and single minded. Stop it.

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
    edited October 2010
    So the only acceptable movies either start with a mythbusters-like disclaimer (WARNING: THIS IS FICTION) at the beginning or are like the movies from The Invention of Lying where all they do is talk about historical events?

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So the only acceptable movies either start with a mythbusters-like disclaimer (WARNING: THIS IS FICTION) at the beginning or are like the movies from The Invention of Lying where all they do is talk about historical events?

Man the 1300s, what the hell do you write about the 1300s?

ALIENS

override367 on
    edited October 2010
    I think the general consensus is you're taking this more seriously than a twilight fan at midnight release. Which is to say, much too seriously.

Consensus doesn't define what is right, it simply arbitrates it. The coward seeks the solace of the mob. Do you believe that entertainment justifies libel?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Loren, you are just wrong about the way the Facemash site is portrayed in the movie. He downloads everyone's picture, men and women alike. They never filter them out, never say that they are putting up just the women. The BACKLASH focuses on women but hey - that's what really happened.

Tomanta on
    edited October 2010
    I believe it doesn't matter one fucking iota.

And you said lies, not libel.

Its entertainment, not the evening news.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Draper wrote: »
    I take it you've never lied to anyone your entire life considering how unbelievably, overbearingly judgemental you're being. If you were this irritating in a group discussion at a bar or something, everyone else at the table would leave 5 minutes in. Your opinion is childish and single minded. Stop it.

You need to learn to deal with the things people say instead of the people saying them. Why are you trying to make this about me? I'm trying to engage in a discussion here and you're just trying to make it about me.

I blame a lack of integrity on your part. What are your thoughts on the matter?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    everyone is obviously sick of arguing with you

your "discussion" has consisted of you making the same stone-headed point over, and over, and over, to the point where you've taken over the thread

no one is interested anymore, and you're adding nothing new

maybe just

let it go

Rust on
    edited October 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Loren, you are just wrong about the way the Facemash site is portrayed in the movie. He downloads everyone's picture, men and women alike. They never filter them out, never say that they are putting up just the women. The BACKLASH focuses on women but hey - that's what really happened.

That might be fair, but I've heard otherwise from quite a few people, and I have yet to see the movie for myself.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited October 2010
    I have yet to see the movie for myself.

Seriously?

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited October 2010
    I take it you've never lied to anyone your entire life considering how unbelievably, overbearingly judgemental you're being. If you were this irritating in a group discussion at a bar or something, everyone else at the table would leave 5 minutes in. Your opinion is childish and single minded. Stop it.

You need to learn to deal with the things people say instead of the people saying them. Why are you trying to make this about me? I'm trying to engage in a discussion here and you're just trying to make it about me.

I blame a lack of integrity on your part. What are your thoughts on the matter?

You're the only one with the stone cold retarded "argument". You've driven the thread into the ground by repeating the same boring crap over and over again, without saying anything new. This is entirely about you, how could it possibly not be? The things people say is directly tied to the people saying them, and why the people saying them are saying them. We've already addressed this shit over and over again, but you keep posting. The basis of your point is founded in authoritarian judgment without any respect for what actually goes into making a movie like this. You have nothing more to say. People have already shown you that your stance is completely preposterous. You're encouraging everyone to put you on ignore so the rest of us can somehow work our minds around discussing something else.

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
    edited October 2010

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHA

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
    edited October 2010
    I believe it doesn't matter one fucking iota.

And you said lies, not libel.

Its entertainment, not the evening news.

I'm saying libel now, but "lies" is still appropriate. You seem to feel that entertainment justifies either. I don't think it does, necessarily, otherwise there's nothing wrong with people like Glenn Beck.

I think in some contexts factual inaccuracies don't matter, or don't matter as much. When they have the primary subject's consent, when composite characters are used to save time or when something is reasonably long after the fact or the subject is already thoroughly mythologized, or when characters names are changed.

As it is, The Social Network keeps the characters' names the same and makes it clear that it's about real people and real events, but then it goes in and invents motives for the guy who made it all happen. I don't see how that's somethign that we should just overlook.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited October 2010
    You haven't even seen the fucking movie.

*walks away from thread*

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHA

*walks away from thread*

...Go see it. Then talk shit. Thanks.

KoopahTroopah on
    edited October 2010
    If this guy doesn't get at least jailed for this shit D&D has a serious problem. He didn't even see the movie... christ. Maybe this was just too masterful of a troll and he'll get away with it.

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
    edited October 2010
    You're the only one with the stone cold retarded "argument".

Yeah, but you're the one who refuses to actually address it.

If people want to put me on ignore, perhaps they should. I haven't been particularly insulting or unkind I think, just speaking my mind. If people are that interested in having a quaint little club of agreeableness, if it hurts them that much that someone disagrees with them, by all means they should put me on ignore. I wouldn't want them to suffer any more than they already have.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited October 2010

*walks away from thread*

...Go see it. Then talk shit. Thanks.

I'm not really interested in critiquing the movie. As I've said I'm sure it's great. I don't need to read the bible to know it's not true, and I don't need to own a blood diamond to know their sparkle doesn't justify their problems.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    this thread is for discussing the movie

if you would like to go on about the acceptable definition of truth in film, then make your own thread

Rust on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Rust wrote: »
    this thread is for discussing the movie

if you would like to go on about the acceptable definition of truth in film, then make your own thread

I think Loren has made it quite clear that it is just truth in THIS film, because films that dramatize real people that are arbitrarily over seven years removed from the events can be ok.

Tomanta on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The only thing worse than Loren's comments is the responses to Loren's comments.

Turkey on
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Turkey wrote: »
    The only thing worse than Loren's comments is the responses to Loren's comments.

Fair enough, but if someone comes in and goes "This thread is now about cats", what else are you gonna talk about..... elephants of course!

I'm already scheduling to see it again with a date. I hope I catch some things that I didn't notice the first time around. I also hope that I don't have to sit 2 isles from the screen so I don't have to strain my neck.

KoopahTroopah on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I do hope the movie makes good at the box office. I'm sure a lot of people (myself included) initially dismissed it as hipster trash, only to find out how good it is through word of mouth.

Turkey on
    edited October 2010

Fair enough, but if someone comes in and goes "This thread is now about cats", what else are you gonna talk about..... elephants of course!

I'm already scheduling to see it again with a date. I hope I catch some things that I didn't notice the first time around. I also hope that I don't have to sit 2 isles from the screen so I don't have to strain my neck.

I've been talking about this movie the entire time, all of my comments and all of my links have been in regards to either The Social Network, Mark Zuckerberg or both, with the present me-centric digression being the exception, not the rule, and one which do not enjoy or prefer to have or be involved in.

I hope you enjoy the movie.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well, no, you've been discussing the concept of truth in film using this film as your primary concern with it. You haven't actually seen the film and are trying to piece things together from those who have to support your squickiness about films that take certain liberties with the story of actual events.

Another thread about truth in film, especially ones akin to this one would probably make for an interesting read but I kinda agree a thread for discussing this film specfically probably isn't the best place.

HappylilElf on
    edited October 2010
    Well, no, you've been discussing the concept of truth in film using this film as your primary concern with it.

That's partially true, but really this is the only film I can think of that actually causes me concern in this respect. My ignorance of other films may play into it, or it may simply be that this film is doing something wrong. I believe it's likely the latter.

All of my comments in regards to this film could possibly apply to some other films that I'm unaware of or have not thought about, but I'm really only concerned with this one, and so I direct my comments here.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I do hope the movie makes good at the box office. I'm sure a lot of people (myself included) initially dismissed it as hipster trash, only to find out how good it is through word of mouth.

22 million on the first week so far, so that's pretty good.

DanHibiki on
  • TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    People are going to assume, unless heroes like myself are shouting on the corner or whatever, that Zuckerberg-the-real-Zuckerberg is pretty much like the guy in the movie, minus some sort of creative liberties taken that they don't know about.

This is the most baseless, arrogant, self-righteous, preposterous, absurd, and laughable comment anyone could possibly make in this discuss...

Nah, there we go. Now we've really hit rock bottom.

There are a dozen conversations we could be having about this movie if only this ridiculous conversation on artistic liberties weren't stuck on repeat for the past five pages. For instance:
    • I disagree with the posters who've said this is a movie about Facebook as a social networking phenomenon. The creators only seem interested in Facebook itself as an ironic juxtaposition for how its creator (that is, movie-Zuckerburg, we get it, it's not real) is an asshole fueled by spite and anger who seems to destroy everyone who comes near him.
    • Speaking of which, we never actually learn definitively if any of the story as it was presented is actually true (true in the movie's narrative, we know it's not actually real). There are only a few parts of the movie, like the opening bar scene, that aren't told from the perspective of Eduardo or the twins. We never get to really know Zuckerburg or his side of the story. And there's not much to glean from the deposition scenes. Zuckerburg is pretty much unreadable in those, except for a few outbursts that seem to corroborate that he really is an asshole (that is, that movie-Zuckerburg is an asshole, god I hate having to say this).
    • How about that ending? Zuckerburg refreshing Erica's page over and over gave me chills. Eisenberg was lifeless and deeply sympathetic and inscrutable all at once. Really amazing performance.
    • Speaking of amazing performances, Justin Timberlake was spot on as Sean Parker. Perfect mix of charisma and delusional paranoia.

Talka on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    loren I don't think it's fair to criticize the movie, or the act in general of 'hollywood-izing' a story that isn't old enough (though I am curious what you think is a long enough time to wait) when you're real issue is that people may misunderstand what they are watching

I don't see how it's the art or the artists fault if people react to something that is never said and isn't true.

like, I shouldn't get to see this movie or it shouldn't be made because some people are stupid or jump to conclusions? when for as long as movies have existed they have fictionalized stories based on real events.

I'd hate to have missed this movie because of those people.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Hey guys I saw this really cool movie, it is called The Social Network, anyone else see it?

Anyways, what was the reference to an actor at harvard when they were talking about distinguished students, any story to that?

Fizban140 on
    edited October 2010
    my guess was natalie portman but that's a fairly blind guess

I'm pretty sure she went there but I don't know if that was when

edit - quick google check seems to verify. yay.

Variable on
  • DoomSong8DoomSong8 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Hey guys I saw this really cool movie, it is called The Social Network, anyone else see it?

Anyways, what was the reference to an actor at harvard when they were talking about distinguished students, any story to that?
    It's Natalie Portman, as mentioned above. Apparently she gave Sorkin a lot of intel on one of the Finals Clubs at Harvard, since they keep a lot of shit under wraps. In return he gave her that quiet little shout out in the movie.

DoomSong8 on
    578991-5FHNJ36.jpg
    XBL:Gravity MD PSN:Gravity1204 Steam:Gravity1204
    edited October 2010
    I thought of her in the theater and got a boner. it was weird.

I can only imagine what would have happened with a more blatant shoutout.

Variable on
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I went and saw this with my wife on opening night, she was less then enthused but I was pretty excited.

I have to say, it was a great movie. I really enjoyed the entire thing, and by the end, my wife did too.

When some one goes into a movie they don't really want to see, and walks out excited and happy they saw it...that's a pretty damn good movie.

Reading over this thread....Yikes. It's a damn movie, not a documentary, and as many have said, it never claimed to be. It's based on real events (which we all pretty much know), and doesn't even claim that. It's based in reality, but as a movie...is not reality.

Anon the Felon on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    if i were in charge of promotions, i'd send out an F5 button for people to jam on in all the press kits

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    Loren Michael, I think when people have made it clear that they get what you're talking about but simply don't care as much as you do, it might be time to consider taking the sandwich board and megaphone elsewhere. You know? Especially when this is a thread to discuss a new film that is out and that you haven't seen and apparently aren't planning to see.

If you want to start a new thread about truth in fiction, you have my blessing. But for now I think this thread needs to refocus.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif