As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Don't you dare clean that [Workstation]

• useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's not a boring picture... it's simply that they are sleeping and tomorrow I will unleash them on creative musings.

also, I did not clean the desk but it's strangely clean at the moment and I am not sure why.
    web.jpg

useless4 on
  • floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Rothgarr wrote: »
    floobie wrote: »
    I love these threads!
    P9270011.jpg

HAH! Is that Juno? I bought a new Juno 60 back in the early 80s. I miss it.

It is a Juno! A Juno-G, though. Its only real relation to the Junos of olde is the fact that it's a Roland, and it looks similar. It's all sample based, though. Not really a true synthesizer. It's more positioned as a cheap version of the Fantom lineup. Same basic internals, but smaller, lighter, and a few missing features.

floobie on
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    newdesk.jpg

So I just moved into this new studio. The desk is new, so it hasn't had much time to collect junk.

The bulletin board is not native, I put it there to represent the TV I wish to eventually put in that corner, both so I can have something to hook my consoles up to, and to act as a second monitor.

My case got a big crack in it in the move :| It's a pretty cheap flimsy case so I expect that was going to happen eventually...

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
    edited October 2010
    I love these threads!
    P9270011.jpg

It is a Juno! A Juno-G, though. Its only real relation to the Junos of olde is the fact that it's a Roland, and it looks similar. It's all sample based, though. Not really a true synthesizer. It's more positioned as a cheap version of the Fantom lineup. Same basic internals, but smaller, lighter, and a few missing features.

How do you like the sounds? I have thought about picking up the Di as something to mess around on without having to fire up the computer

useless4 on
  • RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I love these threads!
    P9270011.jpg

Ah, so you don't actually model sounds on it. Are the built-in sounds good? I've had a lot of Roland gear over the years. I used to have a stand with three synths and a tall rack stuffed with rack synths and effects. These days I just use an 88 key controller and a laptop.

Do you compose? Play in a band?

Rothgarr on
  • AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Anyone here use a vertical monitor stand (edit: vertical meaning 2 monitors, one above the other, not portrait mode)?

I have 2 24 inch widescreens on a horizontal stand built for 22 inch screens, so they don't quit fit. Obviously I need to buy a new one. The problem with the horizontal stand is that I like to have my main monitor centered in my vision, so the far edge of the second monitor is way off out of my peripheral vision, and I have to actually turn my head to read whats on it. I'm thinking a vertical stand would fix this, but it also seems..... weird.

Anyone have thoughts on the matter?

Aiserou on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My understanding is that the benefits to productivity that are accompanied by a second monitor are lessened significantly if that monitor is mounted vertically above the other one.

The brain receives and processes data much quicker when it is arranged on a horizontal plane.

SmokeStacks on
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I would like there to be a way to use dual monitors without fucking up the magic corners on one of them, that is, you can't flick to the top right and click to close a maximised window on the left monitor. Of course, I no longer have two monitors so it doesn't really arise :(

LaCabra on
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh, that's simple. Pick a bigger monitor for the left side, then adjust it so that it's higher than the other one, like this:

monitors.png

Of course, the top-left of the right monitor then loses its own magic corner, but nobody uses that anyway.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
    edited October 2010
    I've had monitors one above another, you quickly forget about the top monitor. I ended up using it for like server status monitoring, nothing that required me to glance at it for more then a few seconds every couple of hours.

useless4 on
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I really need to clean my desk up a little. On multiple monitors, I find that two separate computers is a little more useful at times, but it does come with a lot more heat and power drain.
    9zyue8.jpg

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    5047265831_ebc3dca432.jpgdesk

i should clean that up
    the cow skill is real, got it from a Ministry concert in '92, signed by the band

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
    edited October 2010
    useless4 wrote: »
    I love these threads!
    P9270011.jpg

How do you like the sounds? I have thought about picking up the Di as something to mess around on without having to fire up the computer

The sounds are really good in general. I added an orchestral expansion board to it, and most of those are really damn convincing. The synthy sounds are pretty good too. While it is all sample based, you can still mess with the sounds quite a lot, and create new ones. Worth noting, though, is that the Juno-D uses a completely different sound engine than the Juno-G. Your best bet is to try them out.

floobie on
    edited October 2010
    I love these threads!
    P9270011.jpg

Ah, so you don't actually model sounds on it. Are the built-in sounds good? I've had a lot of Roland gear over the years. I used to have a stand with three synths and a tall rack stuffed with rack synths and effects. These days I just use an 88 key controller and a laptop.

Yeah, it doesn't have virtual analog synthesis. There are a lot of samples you can use to create new sounds, but they're all sample based. It doesn't offer the flexibility of a proper virtual analog synth, but it's pretty good for what it is. And the sampled sounds are generally really good.

I do write music. I guess you could call it progressive metal... some symphonic elements, some electronic elements... generally "metal" written however I feel like. I literally don't know any music that isn't my own on the keyboard. But I'm lacking a few things to record it well. Garageband is decent for what it is, but also very limited. My songs seem to have a lot of time signature, tempo, and key changes, none of which Garageband will accommodate in a single project. Once I can afford to, I want to pick up Logic and EZdrummer. I also play guitar (ESP MH-400... not pictured), and trying to get a good recorded guitar tone is really difficult. I just play it through the Juno-G with a Boss Metal Zone in front of it, and it's fine for practicing, but sounds like ass when I try to record it. So, I need some decent amp modeling unit before I attempt to do that properly. So, yeah, until I can buy a few things, my music will exist mostly in my head.

floobie on
    edited October 2010
    I love these threads!
    P9270011.jpg

Yeah, it doesn't have virtual analog synthesis. There are a lot of samples you can use to create new sounds, but they're all sample based. It doesn't offer the flexibility of a proper virtual analog synth, but it's pretty good for what it is. And the sampled sounds are generally really good.

I do write music. I guess you could call it progressive metal... some symphonic elements, some electronic elements... generally "metal" written however I feel like. I literally don't know any music that isn't my own on the keyboard. But I'm lacking a few things to record it well. Garageband is decent for what it is, but also very limited. My songs seem to have a lot of time signature, tempo, and key changes, none of which Garageband will accommodate in a single project. Once I can afford to, I want to pick up Logic and EZdrummer. I also play guitar (ESP MH-400... not pictured), and trying to get a good recorded guitar tone is really difficult. I just play it through the Juno-G with a Boss Metal Zone in front of it, and it's fine for practicing, but sounds like ass when I try to record it. So, I need some decent amp modeling unit before I attempt to do that properly. So, yeah, until I can buy a few things, my music will exist mostly in my head.

Looooong ago during the days of the Mac Plus and SE I used to use Performer (before there was a Digital Performer) to record all midi. And then all instruments had to go into a mixer and then into a tape deck. Once I bought a Quadra 840AV I started using a program called Deck to record stuff digitally and to record CDs. Now I use a program called Reason. I'm debating upgrading to the latest version of Digital Performer.

I'd love to hear your stuff once you get a chance to record it.

I haven't recorded in almost 8 years. Here are a couple of my songs (no loops/patterns, etc.):

These are most recent (from 2003 maybe?), done using only a controller and Reason
    http://prwmusic.com/songs/sponge.mp3
    http://prwmusic.com/songs/razor.mp3

These are about 15 years old (the first two have real guitar):
    http://prwmusic.com/songs/triumph.mp3
    http://prwmusic.com/songs/teknoid.mp3
    http://prwmusic.com/songs/experimental.mp3

And for kicks the oldest song I recorded, maybe 20 years ago:
    http://prwmusic.com/songs/t-maxx.mp3

I've never been really good at recording, though. My stuff always came out quiet, yet at the same time clips. Or sounds too bassy or trebly.

Rothgarr on
    edited October 2010
    elliotw2 the fact that you have a NGPC makes me want to sex you right up.

SmokeStacks on
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Love these type of threads! Like Falken on the first page, my room is beginning to resemble what my perfect computer room looked like back when I was thirteen. Of course, there'd be a classic Mac in there alongside an Amiga and a number of other classic systems, but hey, a C128 is a beginning.

desk.jpg

Not much has changed. Did a bit of a clean-up yesterday removing a pile of junk on the desk - if only I'd seen this thread then!

DSCF1839.jpg

Looking from the Commodore to my brother's pc, and back to mine.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • FalkenFalken Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Cool, a C128. What's the amiga mouse doing there?
    I tidied:

img0225co.jpg

Closeups:
    The main attraction:

img0226tm.jpg
    img0227sl.jpg
    We ain't got no alien swarm 'round here, boy:
    img0228f.jpg
    48k power. Upholds the Sinclair tradition by not fucking working.
    img0229qb.jpg
    Top box is Atari ST. Everything else is amiga. I also have two big cardboard boxes on the mantle full of disks:
    img0230dm.jpg
    I really should find that mic stand:
    img0231dg.jpg

Falken on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    A1200? Ooh, hark at Mr Moneybags here. (A500 fo' lyfe)

ben0207 on
    edited October 2010
    It's got a 68030 too, heh. Get out of here, poor.

Falken on
    edited October 2010
    Ah, but it's not an Amiga mouse, it's the Commodore 1351. Amiga mice don't work on the Commodore 8-bits (I should know, I remember trying them out years ago).

Edit - I've always wanted an Amiga 1200. Such lovely machines.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

edited October 2010
    "lovely" hehe oh yes. Instant mood improver. I'm going to get a pcmcia ethernet card then I'm hitting IRC on it.

So how long have you had that 128? It looks perfect.

Falken on
    edited October 2010
    Actually, this is my third 128 and I've only had it for about a year. Way back when I had nothing but Commodore equipment, I had two 64's and eventually two 128's (the SID chip broke in the first), but I gave it away to a friend, and eventually sold all my games (of which I had about 1,500 - incredible, I know!). I got a serious bout of nostalgia last year and decided to get another system, which I did from Tinchen's. If you're looking for a monitor for your A1200, they sometimes will have 1084's and the like in the Commodore section.

Rohan on

edited October 2010

Just the NGPC catches your eye? Not any of the other tons of neat and old things?

elliotw2 on
    edited October 2010
    Rohan wrote: »
    Actually, this is my third 128 and I've only had it for about a year. Way back when I had nothing but Commodore equipment, I had two 64's and eventually two 128's (the SID chip broke in the first), but I gave it away to a friend, and eventually sold all my games (of which I had about 1,500 - incredible, I know!). I got a serious bout of nostalgia last year and decided to get another system, which I did from Tinchen's. If you're looking for a monitor for your A1200, they sometimes will have 1084's and the like in the Commodore section.

I normally get stuff like this off of amibay. Getting rid of all that sounds like a huge shame though man.

I've always thought that anyone who bought a PC rather than an amiga contributed to the delay of personal computing by at least ten years, maybe more. I mean, idgi, it was so clearly more advanced, and far cheaper. Damn AT was $3000 without colour, fer christsakes. :?

And then Doom happened.

Maybe it's time for a C64/Amiga thread in G&T.

Falken on
    edited October 2010
    Yeah. Like so many others, I regret what I've lost... but I've made a start at building a collection again. And I completely agree - it's partly Commodore's fault for spending too much on research and not understanding how to advertise their own products - the C64 was billed as a business machine, ffs! And the Amiga's were so ahead of their time, with multitasking before everyone else, and advanced graphics capabilities leading to video editing suites that were far beyond the abilities of the pc's of the day. Such a shame.

Rohan on

edited October 2010
    Spending too much on research, kinda right.

The problem was that it was on the wrong research. Instead of going saying something smart like "okay jay, we'll put the ranger chipset into the amiga right away to keep our technical advantage, and totally not throw it in the trash and fire you", they did stupid bullshit like redesign the C64 to beat the amiga's hardware and then cancel it (C65 honest to god.), built a lower end machine than the A500+ and marketed it as a replacement (A600 osbourne effect, here we come), and spent shitloads of money marketing an A500 with a CD player wedged in a VCR case (that immediately flopped).

Meanwhile, the technology stagnated for five goddamed years solid, and they didn't even use surface mounted components until 1991. (compared to 1985 for atari) The management's approach was completely retarded. "what, you mean selling PC clones is going to confuse customers and undermine our own technology? naaaaah, you're crazy"

Boy those sure are some words. I guess it still sticks sixteen years later, getting offtopic though.

Falken on
    edited October 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »

Just the NGPC catches your eye? Not any of the other tons of neat and old things?

This is everything that I thought was interesting or unusual:
    9zyue8.jpg

SmokeStacks on
    edited October 2010
    That's a spindle of blank DVD's, not a jar.

elliotw2 on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I posted my set up in the "pick up" thread in G&T for I have just recently bought myself a wife and house (ok, I didn't really BUY the wife). I'll just copy and paste my post below. Also being we're talking about Commodore stuff, see if you can spot my contribution. It's not overly well known and is kinda hiding:

Pick up one:
    5006000676_0efa555fed.jpg

and pick up two:
    5006003530_b346bb5f1c_s.jpg

I don't have a proper picture of the outside of our new place, but here are two pictures of the most important rooms. The living room and my 'Study'

Living Room:

5005363809_f079e876ce.jpg

and the Study:

5005363065_172e78c6bc.jpg

It's all very plain right now as it's a new build and we haven't put any pictures put up.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    edited October 2010
    A CD32... Floppy drive...

Are you the guy who had the SX-1?

Falken on
    edited October 2010
    Neat, that computer in the second shot has the same case mine does.

elliotw2 on
    edited October 2010
    Compaqqin'

Falken on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Transplant this group of objects anywhere.

mmspictureo.jpg

joshgotro on
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'd post, but my camera can't get a wide enough angle to get my whole desk. So instead I'll just mark this thread to remind me not to forget to come back to it when I get a chance.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2010
    I'd post, but my camera can't get a wide enough angle to get my whole desk. So instead I'll just mark this thread to remind me not to forget to come back to it when I get a chance.

Take more than one pic?

Rothgarr on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Falken wrote: »
    A CD32... Floppy drive...

Are you the guy who had the SX-1?

I am indeed, it's fitted with 4mb ram and a 256mb hd. I boot it up now and then just to play around on workbench. Struggling to find a keyboard that works though.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    edited October 2010
    Then you'll probably want to look at this, and this.

Or you could go ask somebody on amibay if they have one for sale, I guess.

Falken on
  • bobmyknobbobmyknob 3DS Friend Code 4553-9974-2186 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    roomm.jpg

Woo!

bobmyknob on
    steam_sig.png
  • SpamSpam Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ikea corner unit + arm mounts = awesomeness

IMAG0171.jpg
    IMAG0174.jpg