As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Traveling to PAX Discussion Thread

• RazorDRazorD Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Good question on the hotels! I'm coming from England (never flown before.. so a little clueless) and am trying to figure it out too.. Anyone know a rough estimate on pricing for a 1 bed room - how close should you expect the hotel to be to the conference center, too?

RazorD on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Typically Moe starts a hotel FAQ and discussion thread once the official PAX travel info goes up. That info is scheduled to go up next week so I would expect the sticky to follow shortly after. That will most likely be the best place to ask for and find such info :)

In the meantime, i will offer that the Westin boston waterfront is the hotel connected to the convention center.

zerzhul on
  • SnipethewolfSnipethewolf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I know for Prime there was a train ride from So Cal to Seattle, is there something like this for the people traveling from the west coast to the east?

Snipethewolf on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This was the thread for last year.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=101280

Moe will have the thread up for this year once he's recovered from Prime.

VisionOfClarity on
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I plan on going ETA this year.

feitocomfruta on
  • macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thought I'd create a thread for those of us in the Midwest who want to discuss travel plans or try to find a local group to travel with.

Last year we had 5 in our group, 4 drove, 1 flew from Indiana to Boston.

We're working out details for this year. Looks like almost everyone wants to fly this time.
    We've discussed taking the train from Waterloo IN as well. WTI - BOS on the Lake Shore Limited.

If you're going to fly, I recommend signing up for a Bing or Kayak travel account and setting up searches for the days you want to fly, then subscribe to their notification feature. I got a pretty good deal on a delta flight last year that way.

The train might be fun if we got a lot of people to ride the same line, but it looks like departure times from Boston are limited, you'd either have to leave at noon on Sunday, or wait until Monday, costing another day off work.

macrogeek on
  • CreamsteakCreamsteak Thrall Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It would be nice to see some other PAX people, but I doubt anyone else is taking my route. I'm going from Columbia, MO, to Memphis to Boston. It's super convenient for me to leave from the local airport, so that's what I'm doing instead of going to St. Louis or Kansas City to make a flight.

I will be flying out of the Memphis airport on flight 5964 @ 2 PM on the 10th. Will arrive in Boston just after 6 PM that day. I've thought about taking an earlier flight but it seems like the mid-day flights were cheaper, probably because there's more regular traffic earlier and later. Before that, I'm flying out of the local airport in Columbia Missouri @11:30 AM.

It's funny, I've now been to Memphis four times and I have yet to actually leave the airport terminal there.

Creamsteak on
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Creamsteak wrote: »
    It would be nice to see some other PAX people, but I doubt anyone else is taking my route. I'm going from Columbia, MO, to Memphis to Boston. It's super convenient for me to leave from the local airport, so that's what I'm doing instead of going to St. Louis or Kansas City to make a flight.

I will be flying out of the Memphis airport on flight 5964 @ 2 PM on the 10th. Will arrive in Boston just after 6 PM that day. I've thought about taking an earlier flight but it seems like the mid-day flights were cheaper, probably because there's more regular traffic earlier and later. Before that, I'm flying out of the local airport in Columbia Missouri @11:30 AM.

It's funny, I've now been to Memphis four times and I have yet to actually leave the airport terminal there.

I'll be in Boston Sunday before PAX but if I wasn't I'd hop on that flight with you since I'm in Memphis.

Rdr on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Sorry guys, one thread per topic.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• NerdyHeritageNerdyHeritage Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I'm also in Memphis, and PAX East 2011 will be my very first PAX. The flight you're booked on is the one that currently has my interest the most, but I'm trying to decide between flying or driving.

I've got family in Boston, so I'm going to be sticking around after PAX for St. Paddy's Day. The freedom of driving in touristy city (I'm something of a history nerd) is giving me pause.

NerdyHeritage on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SS: 0775 9129 1567 Black: 3267 4422 1986
  • CreamsteakCreamsteak Thrall Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I'm also in Memphis, and PAX East 2011 will be my very first PAX. The flight you're booked on is the one that currently has my interest the most, but I'm trying to decide between flying or driving.

I've got family in Boston, so I'm going to be sticking around after PAX for St. Paddy's Day. The freedom of driving in touristy city (I'm something of a history nerd) is giving me pause.

I'll most likely be able to wear some obvious sign that I'm a PAX attendee, at Prime it was my PSP that had the most people asking me if I was going to PAX. So hey, if anybody is along for the ride I'm sure we'll all know the secret salute.

Creamsteak on
  • ElzemereElzemere BostonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The freedom of driving in touristy city (I'm something of a history nerd) is giving me pause.

Only the insane actually drive in Boston, I could tell you stories. Its really not necessary, given the size of the city proper. If you really want to travel to the outlying areas, there's always zipcar where public transport doesn't suffice.

Elzemere on
    edited September 2010
    Elzemere wrote: »
    The freedom of driving in touristy city (I'm something of a history nerd) is giving me pause.

Only the insane actually drive in Boston, I could tell you stories. Its really not necessary, given the size of the city proper. If you really want to travel to the outlying areas, there's always zipcar where public transport doesn't suffice.

I drive in Boston all the time, after not driving for 4 years and prior to that I was living in the Jersey 'burbs. And for most of the last year I had Rav4 with no difficulty and a friend brought her Mountaineer with her to Boston for Grad school and never gave it up. It's so not a big deal or difficult unless you grew up on a one horse town with no stoplights. GPS's have never lead me wrong with directions here and if you can read then GoogleMaps is a beautiful thing.

VisionOfClarity on
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    We live about 6 hours out so we are opting for the car solution.

Sure there are downsides. Even with a GPS we managed to take a few wrong turns here and there (some of them where tightly packed). The parking was also phenomenally expensive. However, the last thing we wanted to worry about was "how to get there" and "how to come back". Public Transportation is plentiful but only up to certain hours, and there will be plenty of occasions where you could find yourself leaving in the wee hours of the morning.

At the very least, having some good taxi money on you would be a good idea.

Last year I was lucky and found myself in one of the closest possible hotels, I never needed my car and everything felt like a breeze. This time around it does not look like there are many hotels in proximity. Still not sure how I'll plan around that and I wish I could get some Taxi cost estimates for certain distances.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • burnsbothendsburnsbothends Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I got PIT and PGH confused on the amtrak site. We'll see which way I travel once I talk to my compatriots.

burnsbothends on
    PAX=Home
  • [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Drove to Boston last year from Cleveland the Thursday before the show opened, no big thing. About 10.5 hours on I-90 plus a couple stops, straight shot, maybe $75 in gas and $30 in tolls.

Looking forward to doing it again, I have a former coworker who will be my copilot this year.

[H]olyGeekboy on
    p3HkbcM.png
  • Dgeorge318Dgeorge318 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Going train again this year. Last year, I stayed up 40 hours and then some. Taking over the dining car to play board games on all the tables was a blast. Until the guy told us we had to share, we were the only ones in that car!

Dgeorge318 on
    edited October 2010
    Speaking of the train, I know I said I'd have the thread up this week, but real life (and minecraft) has held me back. Rest assured, the ETA thread is coming. It's just taking longer than I had anticipated.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Speaking of the train, I know I said I'd have the thread up this week, but real life (and minecraft) has held me back. Rest assured, the ETA thread is coming. It's just taking longer than I had anticipated.

Put down that mindcrack and feed the public with your knowledge!

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I got a plane ticket. I took the lazy way out. :P

Heleor on
  • Lugh LamfhadaLugh Lamfhada Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    As an ETA vetran(What? Its only run one year, I can claim that.) I heartily recomend it. The only proble I had was I was the first one on my line and got so absorbed in the book I was reading I didn't notice the arrival of other ETAers until two stops later. My thanks to the guy with the fruit fucker flag. Please bring it this year.

Lugh Lamfhada on
    Too much paprika.
    Shit! Too much paprika!
    WHY IS THERE SO MUCH VOMIT IN THIS HAT?!
    edited October 2010
    Another ETA note, I'm naming the lines after video game characters this year. So please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited October 2010
    The thread title says "traveling to PAX East". I'll risk posting this here, though I have doubts it's the right place...

A while back, before PAX 2010, I visited Boston for a Hockey game and got lost multiple times just trying to get to the arena. As we kept taking the wrong turns we often ended up on the bridges, crossing the shores against our will, paying for the tolls, etc...

At one point we ended up in an entirely different section of the city which seemed... Well, "bad". The kind where you would not want to take a midnight walk in, if you get my drift. Even the cop, who we asked for directions, wondered what we where doing there. I remember it was not within Boston itself, or for a lack of a better explanation, it was on the opposite shore of where the Arena was.

I obviously don't remember what part of the city that was, but I would really like to remember, seeing that most hotels are located on the opposite shore.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Another ETA note, I'm naming the lines after video game characters this year. So please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Well, the Lake Shore Limited should be the best character, perhaps the Shepard Line. And the Acela from NYC should definitely be the Sonic Line.

antherem on
    edited October 2010
    Frugus wrote: »
    The thread title says "traveling to PAX East". I'll risk posting this here, though I have doubts it's the right place...

A while back, before PAX 2010, I visited Boston for a Hockey game and got lost multiple times just trying to get to the arena. As we kept taking the wrong turns we often ended up on the bridges, crossing the shores against our will, paying for the tolls, etc...

At one point we ended up in an entirely different section of the city which seemed... Well, "bad". The kind where you would not want to take a midnight walk in, if you get my drift. Even the cop, who we asked for directions, wondered what we where doing there. I remember it was not within Boston itself, or for a lack of a better explanation, it was on the opposite shore of where the Arena was.

I obviously don't remember what part of the city that was, but I would really like to remember, seeing that most hotels are located on the opposite shore.

Hahaha, you were in the bad part of Chelsea I bet.

VisionOfClarity on
  • acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Most of it is...Just glad they didn't end up in Lynn

acumen101 on
    Life-Long Nerd from New England

PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

edited October 2010
    When I was reading the Globe online today about the shooting I thought that as well.

VisionOfClarity on
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    antherem wrote: »

Well, the Lake Shore Limited should be the best character, perhaps the Shepard Line. And the Acela from NYC should definitely be the Sonic Line.

Yes.

Heleor on
    edited October 2010
    acumen101 wrote: »

Most of it is...Just glad they didn't end up in Lynn

I could not help but be surprised when I looked where that was, looks like we where REALLY off track, but after Street Viewing it, some parts do look familiar. Especially the iron and metal overpasses that we where chassing from below to go back on the bridge.

Looks like it indeed! Thanks a ton! At the very least I know where NOT to go this time :)

So what I should have simply asked is if theThe Bunker Hill / Financial District is cool to hang out in?

ALSO: not sure just how precise this is, but interesting idea to know how much Taxi costs may be: http://www.worldtaximeter.com/boston

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • smerksmerk Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Last time I tried the acela from Boston (post east '10, hereafter known as last year), the filthy bastard of a device wasn't running, which meant I was almost 6 hrs late into NYC ( the conventional train was mega late also). This meant I was just in time for my flight, but NOT in time to see any more of the city than two subway stations (one grubby and one clean). It also meant that I missed out on an iPad on opening day, which meant (with travel etc) I didn't get one for another four months. I hate the acela. Should be DUke Nukem (even the joke is running late)

Whinging ends.

smerk on
    What is this 'Pants' of which you speak?
    edited October 2010
    For all of you that have been waiting for it, the PAX East Train Alliance thread is now live, like I promised.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The roommate and I are going to Boston from Toronto. It's still a debate at the moment whether we'll be driving or flying. I took a look at train rates and times, and there's just no logical way to expect to get to Boston in a day. The train from Toronto to New York alone is 12 hours, and then another 10+ to get to Boston. And for the cost of the tickets, it's about the same to rent the car, which is far more convenient.

The only reason I'm avoiding flying is the roommate does not like planes. Anyone else going from (or through) Toronto?

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The roommate and I are going to Boston from Toronto. It's still a debate at the moment whether we'll be driving or flying. I took a look at train rates and times, and there's just no logical way to expect to get to Boston in a day. The train from Toronto to New York alone is 12 hours, and then another 10+ to get to Boston. And for the cost of the tickets, it's about the same to rent the car, which is far more convenient.

The only reason I'm avoiding flying is the roommate does not like planes. Anyone else going from (or through) Toronto?

The Metal Gear line runs through Buffalo, for what it's worth, and takes about 12 hours to get from there to Boston.

antherem on
    edited October 2010
    The train trip does take more time than driving, and the costs vs other modes of transportation vary. The true value in the train trip is the journey with other PAX people. The games we play, the stories we tell and just the general psyching up for the weekend ahead.

There's more to PAX than just PAX, the journey is one of those things.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The train trip does take more time than driving, and the costs vs other modes of transportation vary. The true value in the train trip is the journey with other PAX people. The games we play, the stories we tell and just the general psyching up for the weekend ahead.

There's more to PAX than just PAX, the journey is one of those things.

I totally get what you're saying, Moe. I'm all for amazing experiences and for something like PAX, which over the years I've heard what a great community all the con-goers are (and at the core, the PA community), I'd enjoy sharing that.

Unfortunately, the train option just isn't convenient enough from Toronto. Getting to Boston in 1/3rd the amount of time by car makes it the more attractive choice. Plus I'd be totally willing to CCST with other people driving from our area, which should be a lot of fun!

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Squill2k4Squill2k4 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I have a question about travel times and possibly best routes to take. I'm coming from Virginia and in the past when I drove to Cape Cod I took 95 all the way up, and the traffic in New York / Connecticut was terrible.

So my question is mainly for anyone who may semi-frequently travel to MA from south of NY. Should I take I-95 to I-84 or just stick with I-95 all the way through? Google Maps says that it's about an hour longer to travel the I-84 route but I'm wondering if it'd actually be quicker due to lack of traffic.

Any help and/or suggestions are greatly apprecaited!

Squill2k4 on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    Squill2k4 wrote: »
    I have a question about travel times and possibly best routes to take. I'm coming from Virginia and in the past when I drove to Cape Cod I took 95 all the way up, and the traffic in New York / Connecticut was terrible.

So my question is mainly for anyone who may semi-frequently travel to MA from south of NY. Should I take I-95 to I-84 or just stick with I-95 all the way through? Google Maps says that it's about an hour longer to travel the I-84 route but I'm wondering if it'd actually be quicker due to lack of traffic.

attempt to go around NYC/CT at 3am ;) It's the same strategy I use when going to Norfolk from points north.

zerzhul on
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Squill2k4 wrote: »

Stay away from 8 AM to 11 AM and 4 PM to 7 PM (later if Friday) and you should sail right through.

schuss on
  • Tokyoeyez1670Tokyoeyez1670 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I would love to take the train but I don't know if that guy from the movie eurotrip will get on with me..... Mi Scusi!

Tokyoeyez1670 on
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I would love to take the train but I don't know if that guy from the movie eurotrip will get on with me..... Mi Scusi!

Just fly from Denver. There is little to see between there and Boston other than NY. Everything else will be farmland or depressed mill/steel towns. Also multiple days vs. less than 1

schuss on