As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bitching Thread V: Out of Continuity and in Another Reality

• TheSecretSeventhTheSecretSeventh GARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    im buying the hell out of it anyway. deadpool proper has sucked for months, so im gonna give this one a try instead.

TheSecretSeventh on
    PSN: DW_Drummer22
    XBL: MightyManotaur
    PA: TheSecretSeventh
    wait....
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    im buying the hell out of it anyway. deadpool proper has sucked for months, so im gonna give this one a try instead.

What's been wrong with the main Deadpool book? I trade wait for it and my next one is the Hit Monkey stuff.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Satire or not, I really have no interest in rape in my comics. Thanks for the warning.

Delduwath on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »

What's been wrong with the main Deadpool book? I trade wait for it and my next one is the Hit Monkey stuff.

After the X-Men arc it's just kind of.....there. There's no foil like Bullseye was in there Roadrunner/Coyote arc, or establishing Domino is scared of chickens in the X-Men arc. The Hit Monkey arc is just "good", because it's kind of interesting and Spider-Man's a real jerk, but then you have a stand alone issue where DP is in the south dealing with crooked cops that has it's moments but isn't altogether worth it, and then the recent Vegas Heroic Age story is just dull. Giant robots in Vegas with the Grizzly, it should be right up Deadpool's alley, but it was a chore to get through.

There are good jokes still in every issue, but they aren't enough to warrant buying the book.

TexiKen on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I already went into my feelings on how Deadpool is being portrayed earlier in the thread and honestly I want no part of Way's direction with the character.

Furu on
    edited October 2010
    I'm actually getting the Deadpool Heroic Age hardcover from Amazon this month along with the most recent Thunderbolts hardcover mostly because of my BMt/Tech schedule. Technically I could wait for the trades but I want to read them now.

wirehead26 on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My main beef with the Deadpool book is that it feels like there's no direction. Individual issues have decent moments, but there's nothing to keep me coming back.

They need to either make Deadpool a bonafide hero with a purpose or cancel his book. Though that's also why I'm looking forward to X-Force, since it will at least give him semi fresh interactions.

Kyougu on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think that while he is completely saturated in the MU, he isn't doing much. Outside Doom War he really hasn't been in anything far reaching since Secret Invasion (to my immediate knowledge). Kyougu is right, X-Force gives him a legit shot, I think that he needs to be used more constructively than just physically being there or the author's take on comic relief.

cardboard delusions on
    edited October 2010
    So Deadpool Max #1, I think it tried to make itself "refined frat boy humor." Bro rape and poop jokes and dominatrix stuff. No rape is shown on panel, but
    Bob was captured by a mobster, who rapes him every night (I'm calling it rape because while Bob was given the choice to be abused int hebasement or be his rent boy up in the top floor penthouse, he is beaten every night during the sex, still having bruises on him). The mob boss also makes other maids and servants dress up in thongs and skimpy clothes.

And then there's a poop joke in the comic, but like I said it's a poop joke with class (?), because Bob takes a piece of poop and imprints a key on it, so that when it hardens he can flush it down the toilet so DP can make a key copy of it.

And we also have the mob boss put Bob in a collar and crawl on all fours, and some other stuff

Deadpool really wasn't in the book until the end too.

TexiKen on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ha ha, it sounds like Marvel tricked a bunch of Deadpool fans into buying a gay fetish book.

Robos A Go Go on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Or they tricked some gay fetish fans into buying a Deadpool book.

cardboard delusions on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man, sure am glad I read this forum instead of just going into a store and buying a comic starring a character I like.

Delduwath on
    edited October 2010
    The Spider-Marriage had to be dissolved because it messes with the universal Spider-Man brand, but I guess this ad campaign didn't get the message:

mazda3spiderman.jpg

Though it's a lot better ad campaign than the one where Hulk carried Dodge Caliber on his shoulders.

TexiKen on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's OK Tex. He's just helping her with his shopping it's not like they're going out or anything girls have cooties you know.

/Quesada

Solar on
    edited October 2010
    You think a single guy with Parker Luck (tm) carries around that many shopping bags for a lady he's just having sex with his mask on for?

That's the sign of a married man.

TexiKen on
    edited October 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    You think a single guy with Parker Luck (tm) carries around that many shopping bags for a lady he's just having sex with his mask on for?

I wish it were so.

Who is Spider-Man dating these days, following the epic clusterfuck of the Spider-Marriage desolving.

Solar on
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Solar wrote: »

I wish it were so.

Who is Spider-Man dating these days, following the epic clusterfuck of the Spider-Marriage desolving.
    Mrs. palm and her five daughters.

Gaddez on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    My main beef with the Deadpool book is that it feels like there's no direction. Individual issues have decent moments, but there's nothing to keep me coming back.

They need to either make Deadpool a bonafide hero with a purpose or cancel his book. Though that's also why I'm looking forward to X-Force, since it will at least give him semi fresh interactions.
    I wouldn't really mind just seeing Deadpool do the whole mercenary thing, taking on various jobs to kill, kidnap, steal, protect, or generally do whatever else would make an interesting story, preferably while driving the larger plot.

Really though, with Deadpool being such a Bugs Bunny/Wile E. Coyote/Wolf kind of character, he really needs a Cecil Turtle, Roadrunner, or Sheepdog to oppose him. I mean, I think that the stories with Hitmonkey, Cable, or Bullseye are some of the character's strongest appearances, so why not give him a few semi-permanent antagonists in the same vein? I think it'd be kind of neat to see Deadpool constantly competing with a mercenary that outclasses him in every way, and occasionally scoring a win against them. Or having him pursued by some kind of law enforcement officer.

Munch on
    edited October 2010
    i didnt hate deadpool max. it had its moments, and it looks like deapool will be more of a badass in that and xforce than he's been in his other books. i'll at least give deadpool max and xforce another two issues to hook me in before deciding i dont care. im done with way's deadpool though. wirehead, do yourself a favor and dont get any trades after the hit monkey one. it was the last one with any laughs in it.

also shadowland: spider-man was completely pointless. i had high hopes because the ghost rider on shot and the moon knight mini actually serve a purpose, but unless youre hankering for some more of that kung fu dude, skip it.

and brightest day still comes out every two weeks and steals my three bucks. i just cant bring myself to drop it when i still have faith that it'll be badass before the end.

spoilered for those actually wanting to read it
    there seems to be some cool build-up with the black lantern versions of the heroes coming back at the end of the issue, and it seems like theyre getting close to revealing the big bad. hopefully in the next 2 or 3 issues shit will get real

TheSecretSeventh on
    wait....
  • DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think I posted this in another thread before I saw this one.

Anyway. This is from Mark Millar's Nemesis. Truely the greatest man to ever grace the written word.

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/3536/markmillarisagenius.jpg

Dram on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I swear Millar does more drugs than Grant Morrison

Centipede Damascus on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's a hilarious comic.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited October 2010
    What the hell has happened to this guy as a writer.

Solar on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's beginning to look like a severe case of believing one's own hype.

Wildcat on
    edited October 2010
    Dram wrote: »

Anyway. This is from Mark Millar's Nemesis. Truely the greatest man to ever grace the written word.

That is not only terrible writing but bad art. It looks like McNiven is copying Yu's art but failing wildly at it. The close up of the wife, yucky (and she cheated on her husband and says he ruined the little family, what the hell)

TexiKen on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Really, anyone that doubts the importance of a good inker and colorist need only look to Nemesis.

Steve McNiven + Dexter Vines + Molly Hollowell = Really Good

Steve McNiven + Dave McCaig = Yeah, Not So Much

That's not to say McCaig, who colored stuff like Adam Strange and Superman: Birthright, is bad or anything. But the combination of Vines and Hollowell have as much to do with why Old Man Logan or Civil War looked good, as McNiven did.

Munch on
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dram wrote: »

That is not only terrible writing but bad art. It looks like McNiven is copying Yu's art but failing wildly at it. The close up of the wife, yucky (and she cheated on her husband and says he ruined the little family, what the hell)

How the fuck is this shit his fault?

Gaddez on
  • ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Good McNiven art is Civil War.

I actually thought that this was the evolution of his style or that he was pushed for deadlines so he rushed it

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Thane wrote: »
    Good McNiven art is Civil War and Old Man Logan.

wirehead26 on
    edited October 2010
    I think issue #7 of Civil War is the only time McNiven was actually rushed deadline-wise. All the other times he either did it on time (MK FF, ASM) or they just stopped and waited (Old Man Logan, that Ellis Ultimate Captain Marvel story).

TexiKen on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think issue #7 of Civil War is the only time McNiven was actually rushed deadline-wise. All the other times he either did it on time (MK FF, ASM) or they just stopped and waited (Old Man Logan, that Ellis Ultimate Captain Marvel story).

Wasn't he taken off the Ellis story to work on a Bendis book?

Algertman on
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, they stopped the Ellis story with the intention of putting him back on it after the NA Sentry story, but then he got moved to something else and Tom Raney (I think?) finished the Ultimate mini.

TexiKen on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Avengers Academcy:
    Striker's origin involves a history of child molestation culminating in the activation of his powers as a defense mechanism.

But apart from that, he's just some guy who wants to be famous and lets his pedophile-enabling mother orchestrate a photo op on his behalf. In short, one of the ugliest acts possible is thrown into the story to add depth to a character who, in every other respect, is defined by his shallowness. His experience didn't affect his worldview, his motives, or his feelings about others. It's just an ugly blot on an otherwise bland, forgettable character.

I thought that Avengers Reformatory School had a lot of promise, but these past few issues haven't delivered on that potential.

Robos A Go Go on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Admittely I gave up after the second issue, but are any characters in Avengers Academy NOT bland, forgettable characters?

Kyougu on
  • Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What happened to all the heroes in training from the initiative? Why are they not part of the Academy?

Silver_Mage on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I preferred McNiven's Meridian and Marvel Knights 4 to later work personally.

KVW on
    edited October 2010
    What happened to all the heroes in training from the initiative? Why are they not part of the Academy?

Because the Academy is only for kids who they think are in danger of flipping out and becoming villains. And honestly it's a pretty poor book. The idea is OK but of all the characters very few of them are likeable or interesting, I'd much prefer a return of the Initiative characters to these guys, and hope we see more of them in the future. So far Avengers Academy has not impressed me in the slightest, and it sucks considering that Slott already showed us how great the concept could have been.

Solar on
    edited October 2010
    this isnt a bitch but it needs to be said in case some people didnt hear about it. marvel and dc are lowering their prices on most books to 2.99. by next year, 80% of dc's books will be 2.99, and marvel has a similar plan.

i guess a potential bitch is that i wont end up saving any money because i'll pick up something i normally wouldnt now...

TheSecretSeventh on
    wait....
  • NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    this isnt a bitch but it needs to be said in case some people didnt hear about it. marvel and dc are lowering their prices on most books to 2.99. by next year, 80% of dc's books will be 2.99, and marvel has a similar plan.

i guess a potential bitch is that i wont end up saving any money because i'll pick up something i normally wouldnt now...

About damn time.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm still moving to trades. King City and Fear Agent are the last books I am getting in singles. I am only missing one issue of Fear Agent (#3). It, King City, and Iron Fist are two wonderful books that I will keep the singles of, everything else will be sold some day when I figure out how to do it.

DouglasDanger on