As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spectre loves his india ink and watercolours (fuck your Hscroll)

Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOMEYESRegistered User regular
edited May 2007 in Artist's Corner
and if you don't like Spectre's india ink and watercolours he will totally flip the fucking fuck out he is not even kidding because he did not sleep to make these things.

SchoolKirbywatercolours1.jpg
SchoolKirbywatercolours2.jpg

These were done for my final school project in art class. I started a bit late, so I had to stay up all night to finish them.

Talk about these things and give me tips or compliments or whatever I don't really care anymore because I am so tired I could just die.

Spectre-x on

• Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Haha, nice.

Those robots looks aces, I like the shading style (solid colours that is)

From what I can see in the bg, these are pretty hueg pieces of work! Hats off to getting them done :)

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    More contrast, please!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    A little more effort should have been put into the text. It appears as though it were scribbled on as an afterthought. Are these original art pieces or copies from a comic?

I agree, also, about the contrast.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't get it

razz.gif

Mayday on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Now that I'm somewhat more well-rested, I can give some more explanation.

I did this for my final school art project. The text comes from The Scourge of the Fourth Celestial Host by Bal-Sagoth, which is a song about the Silver Surfer. The photos sort of messed up the colours, they contrast more in real life.

And they're not robots, they're Celestials.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I still think you could do with some more weight on your inks, Speccy.

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    watercolors can be tricky. you only seemed to use one color in one area at a time....so you could have colored this with anything, pencil, marker, paint, muppet semen...and gotten the same effect.
    without tooting my own horn too much check out my thread, and see how watercolor can work in a comic type sense.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What?! You're so lazy you can't resize these fucking things?! :P :lol:

Johannen on
  • Options
    ViolenceManViolenceMan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    For one to trully grasp the awesomeness of Spec's post, they must be veiwed in Full High Definition Internet quality.

ViolenceMan on
    wheres.gif
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It may be 'awesome' to you, but the washes look like bad Crayola markers to me. May I suggest coloring in the same direction with your brush. For example first photo, first frame with SS saying 'Zenn-la!':

The washes behind him look blotchy and in every which direction. Strokes in the same direction would have been much better.

This whole thing looked rushed, the boxes are uneven, some of the colors are smudged. I think this would have been a whole lot better if more care had been taken with its craftsmanship. The line work on most of it is beautifully done (Galactus in the first picture, the celestials in the second, especially the one to the left Even though these are well done parts, the few poorly done parts (the text in particular) really take away from it as a whole.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    i'm wondering if i flip open that fantastic four issue you got under there, how many of these "panels" are right in that book?

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    i'm wondering if i flip open that fantastic four issue you got under there, how many of these "panels" are right in that book?

Absolutely none of them.

Also fuck you.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    Giga GopherGiga Gopher Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Don't accuse someone of copying panels out of a comic book you jackass. Especially not Spex, since he has made a whole tonne of comics and each of them are awesome and original.

On the art: I like the watercolours for the most part. On the second page, it looks like you used a frizzy brush on the sky or something and it makes it look a bit ugly in comparison to the smooth colours on the characters.

Have you used watercolours much before? Cos I'd totally like to see more of them from you.

Also, what size paper did you do these on? I'm guessing A3 size?

Giga Gopher on
    My friend's band - Go on, have a listen
    Cannon+Goose.png
    Oh it's such a nice day, I think I'll go out the window! Whoa!
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I think it's a non-standard paper size, but it's a fair bit larger than A3. Less than A2, though.

Toward the end of the whole thing, I'd completely destroyed the brush I was using.

I haven't really used watercolours a lot, and I'm trying to remedy that.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

What the fuck? What is the meaning of this? Why would you come out of left field with such a lame accusation? Uncool.

In other news, I like them Spex. I'm happy to see you ink and color anything, even if your brush was going to hell. :^: And they probably look a lot better in person where the glare from the camera flash isn't washing out your inks and I don't have to scroll 6000 miles to the right to see the whole thing. Agree though that the lettering isn't really on par with the art; it's a little shaky and gets pretty lost in places.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg