As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fraud? What Fraud? There's no Fraud here! (Yes there is)

LanglyLangly Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Social Entropy++
So Bank of America, Chase and GMAC Mortgage have all put tens of thousands of foreclosures on hold due to an investigation into their admitted abuse of foreclosure affidavits.

Here's what that means. In the heat of the Housing Crisis, banks were getting up to 1800 foreclosure statements a week, rather than the normal very low amount that they were used to. They had too many, so they just kind of started signing shit, on other people's word that everything was fine. Usually this would just be sloppy business practice, except that signing these things is a federal promise. You are swearing under oath that you've read the document, that everything is cool.

They forged millions of documents. The fine for doing this one time is $25,000.
That's $25,000 per homeowner, and there have been millions of foreclosures. This isn't just another shoe dropping for the mortgage industry.

"That is so much bigger than a shoe," Cordray exclaims.

Much bigger than even Kuribo's Shoe, I'd wager.

Now, not even this would be a big deal, because plausible deny-ability, right? Just say that you read them! Who can prove otherwise? It's not like anyone would be dumb enough to just admi-
But bank employees admitted in depositions that they were not actually reviewing the documents — but were signing off anyway.

Oh.

Oh.

So, if this progresses to a suit, which it is by the state of Ohio, these companies stand to lose an untold amount of money, but who gives a shit about them they deserve it. What this is really going to do is to halt home sales on a huge scale, until it can all be straightened out. Not only that, but
If judges start digging deeper into the foreclosure mess, Black says, they're also going to find that many loans from the housing bubble were so badly documented that many are unenforceable. That'll be an even bigger mess.

Dang, mortgage lenders, dang.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130421557

Langly on

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Too big to fall.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So should I pull my money from BoA now?

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    This is pretty funny but nothing drastic will come from it most likely.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I wouldn't think(???) But I don't know if they'll be fined the full amount or just a general "hey fuck you guys, don't do this again" amount.

Langly on
  • Options
    deadlyrhetoricdeadlyrhetoric "We could be two straight lines in a crooked world."__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    So should I pull my money from BoA now?

Yes.

And give it to meeeee

e: in all seriousness, your money in a checking or savings account is insured by the federal government up to USD $250,000.

e2: this is why no one really "loses" money when bank robberies are one of the most commonly committed and least often caught crimes in america.

e3: everyone just go watch Heat.

deadlyrhetoric on
  • Options
    Josiah_9Josiah_9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    I wouldn't think(???) But I don't know if they'll be fined the full amount or just a general "hey fuck you guys, don't do this again" amount.

If everything is as poorly documented as the article makes it seem, I don't know how it could be resolved.

Josiah_9 on
    Saturate.jpg
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Beasteh on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

haha like that means anything

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I wonder if this means my friend Phil will keep his house here

he already moved to CA for work

but maybe I could rent it from him!

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh hey, I'm watching this on last night's daily show right now.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I got a thing in the mail yesterday telling me I was part of a suit that Capital One settled out of court. It says they will pay me up to $63. It also says the lawyers were paid $12.8 million.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    are people still talking about pulling money out of banks they think will fail

how many of you assholes have more than 250 THOUSAND dollars in any bank

whoops is the answer none of you

then dont fuck up the economy and let what happens happen because it wont affect you

seriously how do so many people function in the real world without knowing about basic shit like the fdic i learned about them in middle school and the insurance warning is easily visible in almost every bank

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    gotta support the underdog banks

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010

then dont fuck up the economy and let what happens happen because it wont affect you

seriously how do so many people function in the real world without knowing about basic shit like the fdic i learned about them in middle school and the insurance warning is easily visible in almost every bank

I assume the people who are so scared that the economy is going to fail and are going to pull their money out, also believe there with be no federal government at that point to pay the insurance money.

Josiah_9 on
    Saturate.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Macro9 wrote: »
    I got a thing in the mail yesterday telling me I was part of a suit that Capital One settled out of court. It says they will pay me up to $63. It also says the lawyers were paid $12.8 million.

I was in one where i got a check for $10, i think the lawyers got paid the same as in your suit. i was all WHOOPIE!

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Josiah_9 wrote: »

I assume the people who are so scared that the economy is going to fail and are going to pull their money out, also believe there with be no federal government at that point to pay the insurance money.

If you keep following that logic though, you get to a point that paper money would be useless then if the government collapsed, and only actual goods would be of value. I'm not going to trade my food, water, medicine, or ammunition to you for worthless paper in the wastelands. I'm going to barter for it or shoot you and steal your supplies.

Hunter on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Don't see this really meaning anything too big

But hot damn sonny boys

Hot damn

Gumpy on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Hunter wrote: »

If you keep following that logic though, you get to a point that paper money would be useless then if the government collapsed, and only actual goods would be of value. I'm not going to trade my food, water, medicine, or ammunition to you for worthless paper in the wastelands. I'm going to barter for it or shoot you and steal your supplies.

BUY GLEN BECK GOLD COINS

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    so many sane people are talking their thousand dollar life savings out though

sane, dumb people

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Stickin people up for bottle caps

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    this is so much bigger then a shoe

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

they're going to issue fines of billions of dollars to the banks that they just bailed out with billions of dollars

(nah just kidding, a few people will get fired or resign and get their giant severance check. The american people are safe again)

Mr. Buttons on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

they're going to issue fines of billions of dollars to the banks that they just bailed out with billions of dollars

(nah just kidding, a few people will get fired or resign and get their giant severance check. The american people are safe again)

That's not even gonna happen. The banks will go "Mistakes were made, blah blah blah, make sure this won't happen again blah blah blah We deeply regret blah blah blah"

and then nothing will actually happen

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I never said it made any goddamn sense, just that is what the crazys are thinking.

Josiah_9 on
    Saturate.jpg
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

That's not even gonna happen. The banks will go "Mistakes were made, blah blah blah, make sure this won't happen again blah blah blah We deeply regret blah blah blah"

Seriously

They're already trying to pass legislation making it easier for banks to push this kind of foreclosure documentation through, so they'll probably just make it retroactive and no one will so much as lose their year-end bonus over this.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Seriously

They're already trying to pass legislation making it easier for banks to push this kind of foreclosure documentation through, so they'll probably just make it retroactive and no one will so much as lose their year-end bonus over this.

Nah, obama has already said that he'll veto it.

Langly on
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

What if you do have over $250,000 in the bank like....some people I know?

What then Mench? Should they pull out the excess of 250K and put it in another bank account in another bank?

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I thought they were going back down to $100k but I thought wrong so nevermind.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Seriously

Nah, obama has already said that he'll veto it.

So they'll tie it into the next defense authorization bill and then if he vetoes it WHY DOES OBAMA HATE THE TROOPS AND WANT THEM TO DIE

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Congress also just tried to make it more difficult for people who might have been wrongly foreclosed to challenge it.

It must suck to find out that you lost your home when there was no reason to lose it, but whoops! You can't get anything back!

Javen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Javen wrote: »
    Congress also just tried to make it more difficult for people who might have been wrongly foreclosed to challenge it.

It must suck to find out that you lost your home when there was no reason to lose it, but whoops! You can't get anything back!

America...FUCK YEAH!

But seriously, it's amazing that we let these people get away with shit like this. We need a good uprising. Some angry mob justice just to get some of these suit wearing fuckers to fear for their lives a bit and dial back the avarice, greed, and laziness.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It's just hilarious to think that this is LITERALLY theft on what could be a half a trillion dollar scale.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Imagine the difference if an angry mob stormed Manhattan and strung up some CEO's and Wall Street fat cats.

The economy would be fixed by the end of the week.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It's just hilarious to think that this is LITERALLY theft on what could be a half a trillion dollar scale.

Does anyone know where Carmen Sandiego is?

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Bedigunz wrote: »

Does anyone know where Carmen Sandiego is?

Hiding in a cave somewhere on the Afghanistan-Pakistan border with Osama Bin Laden.

Hunter on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    LEAVE POLITICS TO POLITICIANS

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    A Carmen Sandiego movie would be pretty awesome, methinks

Played by Anne Hathaway

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Played by Anne Hathaway

Helen Mirren

Javen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Played by a naked Anne Hathaway

Fixed

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    And even after this, people will still look at the DOW almost hitting 11k and thinking 'economy's on the rebound! yeah!'

Javen on