As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Walking Dead.

• DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Been reading up on Walking Dead before the TV series starts. Have to keep reading in short bursts, simply because the story is so god damn depressing. Rick Grimes seems to be someone that the universe just loves to drop heaping piles of crap on. I used to think Spider-Man had a crap life, but the amount of stuff Rick goes through in this series is just insane.

Dram on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    How's it gonna end?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It ain't neva gonna stop

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Malkor wrote: »
    How's it gonna end?

It's not gonna end anytime soon. But I hope Rick ends soon. I feel like he hit a wall with the character.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wishpig wrote: »
    How's it gonna end?

It's not gonna end anytime soon. But I hope Rick ends soon. I feel like he hit a wall with the character.

It's rough. Kirkman wants Rick to be the big hero main character of the series, but people need to change to create drama. Him always being the hero is a melodrama. He's sticking to archetypes that work better in a zombie film than a years-long ongoing story.

PolloDiablo on
  • Duke PhillipsDuke Phillips Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I've heard good things about Walking Dead. Then recently I heard that it wasn't as good as it used to be. Is this the case or is it just internet comic nerd complain time?

I was intrigued when I was first told about it but just never got around to checking it out.

Duke Phillips on
    PSN/Origin: Grizz359
    Steam: Grizz
    3DS: 4038-6012-7259
    T4CT wrote: »
    everyone deserves space vaginas for christmas
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Going by trade volumes, this was my respones to the series, spoiler free:

vol. 1 - hey this is pretty good, takes the normal story but makes it compelling.
    vol. 2 - I really like what's being set up now, it's much more survival than horror
    vol. 3 - that's a smart idea, I wonder where this is going now?
    vol. 4 - still good, but something's not right now. They aren't really doing anything.
    vol. 5-8 - whoa, really? That's what people have become? Is Kirkman paid by the amount of blood on page? Does he even know where he wants to go with this story?

2 years later

vol. 9-12 hey, these new characters are really helping out and making the book more enjoyable, I like where it ends with vol. 12. This is something that was really needed.

*sees the previews for the upcoming issues*

well fuck.

TexiKen on
  • TheGatsbyTheGatsby Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    I feel like the series kinda hit a wall at volume 11 but was immediately redeemed in volume 12.

TheGatsby on
  • Dorktron9000Dorktron9000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    TWD is still great

Dorktron9000 on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    When's the premiere of the show?

Robos A Go Go on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    On tv? 10pm EST, 10/31/2010

On the internet? Six days ago, compliments of screener 407.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just purchased and downloaded #80...did the price just go up another dollar or has it just been a while since the last issue and I forgot the price? It's 2.99 now.

Sharp10r on
    edited January 2011
    I think online it works out that the most recent issue is always $3, all the others are $2.

And with regards to #80,
    Abraham cheating on Rosita, he loses 100 respect points. With zombies taking over the world, is cheating on your girlfriend really necessary at this time?

And poor Bruce

TexiKen on
    edited January 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I think online it works out that the most recent issue is always $3, all the others are $2.

And with regards to #80,
    Abraham cheating on Rosita, he loses 100 respect points. With zombies taking over the world, is cheating on your girlfriend really necessary at this time?

And poor Bruce
    and C'mon, guy like him with Rosita and he's cheating? Maybe zombies infected his brain already!

Sharp10r on
    edited January 2011
    You eat steak every day, and beans start sounding pretty good. Or something like that.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Well,

bye-bye Morgan. Maybe he'll be set free to hang out with his zombie kid

TexiKen on
    edited April 2011
    So....issue #83 - what did everyone think?

(#83 GIANT SPOILERS GOOD GOD DON'T OPEN IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE ISSUE YET)
    So....Carl can't possibly survive that, right? And does it really seem like Kirkman's MO to not show Morgan's body? (though he does say that Morgan is dead in the letter column). Also - Rick is cold-blooded as fuck.

Maybe the first comic I've ever read that made me want to throw up afterward.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I was wondering if anyone was going to talk about it.

The page in question, major spoiler:
    twd3.jpg
    twd4.jpg
    The human body is able to withstand some amazing things and people have survived getting shot in the head and getting some horrible injuries but considering the wound and their current situation I can't see him living. Guess this was done since most people figured Carl was going to be the guy to take over when Rick died

Cade on
    edited April 2011
    one thing I don't understand in the issue, to go with Rick (James) being cold blooded, is
    that was a really, really bad idea to slunk through the zombies. It kind of felt less a decision that may/may not work out but a plot point that Kirkman needed to thin the cast some more. Which sucks because I liked Jessie possibly being a new mother figure for the group, not just Rick and Carl.

It just didn't really work the first time he tried it 75 issues ago.

TexiKen on
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This issue is perhaps the most horrifying example of instant karma ever

Green on
  • Dorktron9000Dorktron9000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Without anyone to protect, what motivation does
    Rick
    even have to keep going?

Dorktron9000 on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hi all - I think this is my first time in GV, ever. I just read all 83 issues over the last...three days. Damn. Great series. I wasn't too sure if I liked it until issue 48, but after that I was sold.

Without anyone to protect, what motivation does
    Rick
    even have to keep going?

Isn't that part of the point of
    Rick though? I mean, he's a survivor through and through. He THINKS he's doing this and that for this and that reason. He THINKS he has thresholds. But he doesn't. The only thing he won't survive is death. I highly doubt he'll ever give up, no matter what happens.

In other words, he still has himself to protect. For 83 issues he's claimed that he's done everything to protect the members of his family, but to my memory, he has NEVER included himself explicitly in that claim. He's always left himself off the list, so to speak. He has never protested that he's protecting himself, but he's never really said it. Maybe he doesn't even think he's doing this to protect himself, but I think there is enough evidence to suggest that no matter what, Rick will live as long as he can manage, no matter what situation he's in, no matter what he's lost.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited April 2011
    From someone reading the whole series in just days, how did the #35-47 mark feel? That area or roughly those numbers seem to be seen by a lot of people as a really big lull in the series, and the delays didn't really help it during that time either. So given you didn't have to deal with this and then think "that issue felt just like last issue," thoughts?

TexiKen on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    From someone reading the whole series in just days, how did the #35-47 mark feel? That area or roughly those numbers seem to be seen by a lot of people as a really big lull in the series, and the delays didn't really help it during that time either. So given you didn't have to deal with this and then think "that issue felt just like last issue," thoughts?

I think I felt a bit of a lull around 37/38 but I found the issues leading up to #48 to be properly suspenseful and captivating. The stuff with...
    Tyrese, for instance. And the Governor's planned attack. Some of the Governor stuff was a little boring.

To be honest though, I think my personal "should I bother continuing?" came before #37 - more like when they
    first get to the prison...

I dunno. Maybe I'm just an asshole, but too many issues of "this is neat, we'll be fine here" in a row bored me. I just thumbed back through #37+ and while I can see why they would be annoying if you had to wait monthly plus delays on top for them, but they were fine for me.

I think my feelings were roughly like this:
    First 6-12 issues: Cool!
    ~End of the teen issues: Hmm...bleh.
    ~25-30: Cool. This reminds me of Escape from LA (okay, not a great movie, but still) but still not sure
    Low 30s to low 40s: Okay, interesting. I find talk about laundry and books and DVDs boring, but still interesting. Jury's still out.
    Mid 40s: FUCK! Okay, getting more interested now.
    48: !!!!!!! I'm sold.

I may be getting my issue numbers mixed up, since I essentially marathon'd the entire series, issue numbers (aside from one or two) don't really stick in my head as much.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    RedDelicious on
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    After
    Carl's death
    I'd be interested in seeing if Rick went whole-hog zombie killer. Frankly, I'm surprised no one has tried to set up a massive zombie killing operation. If I was trying to make a home somewhere, I would want an efficient zombie-killing operation to clear them out. Like, dropping a few hundred zombies down a mine shaft, or having them walking through a decapitating machine.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Can_CalyxCan_Calyx Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Huh. Spoilers for #84:

Seemed oddly anti-climactic to me. Similar to the "Fear the Hunters" storyarc. The Carl Moment is sort of washed under the rug for Rick's big speech about founding their new city, and the horde, unmanageable previously, is wiped out within a few pages with zero human casualties. Carl's wound looks nowhere near as grevious as the major spread in #83, and he's obviously survived in some way. I doubt Kirkman's just waiting for Carl to die in the next storyarc.

I'm still interested in the series, but slightly disappointed that the zombie horde selectively cleansed Rick's leadership rivals, wiping away all the males who would ursurp him. Besides Abraham, I suppose.

Can_Calyx on
    Those Days Different.
    edited April 2011
    I liked #84 because
    it kind of made everyone realize "we have been doing this for a year, we're pretty competent zombie killers, if we just go Mach 5 together we can kind of clean up stuff instead of hiding.

It was a switch that flipped that I hope doesn't get crushed in the next arc. Just head out there twice a week in a tornado of swords and axes and bats would leave a whole bunch of dead zombies and open up the city for exploration.

I do agree it ends kind of flat, as the climax was the last page with Carl from #83, I just like how Rick now kind of has a reason to not be afraid anymore, because the worst thing has essentially happened to him now.

TexiKen on
    edited April 2011
    And will someone PLEASE realize that they should all be chained to the wall when they goto sleep n case they die in their sleep? It's the only way to really protect everyone. Otherwise grandmas will be coming back inside the gates!

Sharp10r on
  • The WalrusThe Walrus ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sharp10r wrote: »
    And will someone PLEASE realize that they should all be chained to the wall when they goto sleep n case they die in their sleep? It's the only way to really protect everyone. Otherwise grandmas will be coming back inside the gates!

This has been common practice in my household for years.

The Walrus on
    http://wreck-age.net Home of your soon to be favorite post-collapse, dystopian, SF Table Top Strategy game & RPG

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hyacinthgames/a-tabletop-rpg-and-board-games-project-from-chicag
    edited April 2011
    Can anyone provide any real-life examples of someone surviving a similiar type wound to the one Carl suffered?

cshadow42 on
    edited April 2011
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    Can anyone provide any real-life examples of someone surviving a similiar type wound to the one Carl suffered?

The Gifford Shooting. Shot through the head (half) and is recovering.
    Edit: Is this thread cool with spoilers from a month ago or should we spoiler this? Bah- spoilering anyway. Spoiler is a response to Cshadow42

Sharp10r on
    edited April 2011
    Sharp10r wrote: »
    cshadow42 wrote: »

The Gifford Shooting. Shot through the head (half) and is recovering.
    Edit: Is this thread cool with spoilers from a month ago or should we spoiler this? Bah- spoilering anyway. Spoiler is a response to Cshadow42

Eww...just did a search on Google Images. Threw up a little in my mouth.

Yeah, I guess it is survivable. I guess you have to consider the angle at which we saw Carl get shot at.

cshadow42 on
    edited May 2011
    Walking Dead #85, I like where this is heading, but

damn did they shoot Abraham's character right in the foot.

"But I always found myself thinking 'what if you aren't the last woman on earth?' And, well.... you're not." Damn dude. Damn.

I lost all the respect I had for him, but good for Rosita.

TexiKen on
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Loved reading all the hate mail for issue #83

Green on
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Just finished the compendium. That is some uplifting shit.

Any word on when the second compendium is coming out? Story seems kind of aimless, but I enjoyed it as a work a genre fiction.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • 1800nightlife1800nightlife Registered User regular
    Wishpig wrote:
    How's it gonna end?

They need to do something. I feel this series is just dragging out, which really sucks because I loved the walking dead and I've been reading it for years. To see it just drag like this is really depressing :(.

steam_sig.png
    Xboxlive: Nightlife1800
    http://1800nightlife.tumblr.com/
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I think he should eschew his previous stance and actually start to build some compelling plot. TWD has always been about plot through character but I don't think that's really working any more. I'd like to see them start to explore what caused the plague - or least what kind of effect it's had on the world at-large.

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    It's kind of weird that they skipped the outbreak story, where zombies first appear on the scene, and went right into the surviving story, where humans are coping. Maybe they felt like the outbreak story had been done to death, but it seems like a perfectly good narrative they just ignored.

I don't know how well the plot through character thing is working for him. For a character driven story the characters are really broadly drawn. It's made more pronounced after watching the tv adaption, where the characters feel a lot more fleshed out so far.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    Andrea and Rick, knocking boots. And please don't make Abraham turn evil because of that harlot talking nonsense to him about being a better leader, Glenn and Abraham need to stay alive.