As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Shores of Hazeron - It's about Spaceships!

1101112131416»

• DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dyvion wrote: »
    Yeah. even though I haven't managed to successfully land a rocket on another planet yet (I either run out of fuel or burn up in the atmosphere because I turn in the atmosphere) I'm having a blast flying around.

Practice on moons first. Remember, planets have gravity, suns have gravity and moons have gravity.

My solar system has two planets, one habitable planet that I started on, and one gas giant right next to the sun. My planet has rings... the gas giant has three rock moons. It took several tries before I could navigate the gravity wells of the sun... the gas giant and the moons. Eventually I was able to slingshot around the gas giant and cut my velocity down to just enough to escape the suns' pull (how many rockets are in that sun now anyway...) and then maintain my thrust to helicopter over to a moon, which then pulled me down itself.

It took about 45 minutes total, and my heart was thumping out of my chest by the time I actually hit P to cut the engine. It was amazing. and another reason I love this game.

It's not nearly that difficult to fly the rocket. Q and Space are your friends. Q is a brake that removes your sideways and up and down movement, and space is a brake that removes your forward/backward movement. With proper use of Q all you need to do is point at where you want to go and you'll go straight to it. Just slow down to roughly 150 m/s when you hit atmosphere and you'll be fine. You also don't need to worry about properly landing. The rocket will automagically flip upright once it touches down, regardless of how you land it.

Or you could do it the easy way. pshh.
    Wish I had known that before! Momentum without reference is hard!

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I haven't been able to get on in about a week now :( .

rayofash on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I checked, and we do have a capital declared. So if you can't join the empire, it's a bug on the server's end.

Also, I noticed that we've come into contact with another Empire. Best to start prepping for war, just in case.

Archonex on
  • RykeRyke Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Archonex wrote: »
    I checked, and we do have a capital declared. So if you can't join the empire, it's a bug on the server's end.

Also, I noticed that we've come into contact with another Empire. Best to start prepping for war, just in case.

If its the Eye of Ra empire they have a few large cities, but it doesnt look like they have any moon colonies so no spaceship tech yet. I did scope them out and they have some base defenses at their main city, but it doesnt look too bad. Once we get some higher tech we can most certainly take the system if thats the way we want to go.

Ryke on
    XBL: Ryke Kardine SteamID: Ryke
    edited October 2010
    Oh hey, somebody joined my empire.

rayofash on
  • Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ah, they fixed it! Now I'm on and trying to figure out wtf is what because I'm one of those silly gamers whose eyes gloss over when I read manuals.

And then I got sucked into the swirling vortex of epilepsy. And I can't seem to stop getting sucked into it. Man, if it's not one thing...

Gennenalyse Rueben on
    edited October 2010
    150px-Roman_Millitary_banner.svg.png

Senatus Populusque Romanus!

rayofash on
    edited October 2010
    rayofash wrote: »
    150px-Roman_Millitary_banner.svg.png

Senatus Populusque Romanus!

The Senate and the Roman People! Make sure your people are purple. Purple people perform perilous positions perfectly!

e: Side note. Someone also joined my empire. PSlion. I'm sure the next time they log in they will be befuddled by the fact that they are now in control of a moon colony. With no air and no production to speak of. There's an airport and a broker... they can get what they need if they need it :P

e2: A second person joined my empire... and I can't seem to assign them to anything lower than cardinal, which is problematic, because I can only have one cardinal in my current sector. Weirdness.

Dyvion on
  • RykeRyke Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Anyone still playing?!

I got sucked into minecraft for a few days. Haven't really been on for progress check.

Although our TL research is going along smoothly, just need more time before we can get teleporters and stuff.

Ryke on
    XBL: Ryke Kardine SteamID: Ryke
  • Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I would play if I didn't get sucked into the swirling vortex of epilepsy every time I tried.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
    edited October 2010
    I'd play, a lot more visibly, if I could actually join the empire. Otherwise I'm just puttering around on my side of the galaxy experimenting with various things.

Dyvion on
    edited October 2010
    I'm trying but it's hard. Right now I'm teching all my stuff so I can build TL2 ships.

Edit: My TL2 ship is finished! HUZZAH!

rayofash on
    edited October 2010
    I haven't been able to get in lately, otherwise i'd help with teching up the main PA empire.

Archonex on
    edited October 2010
    The servers have been slowly degrading... right now there is 1 manager server and 1 worker server... and 2 people logged on. I really want to love this game.

Dyvion on
  • RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I got in and joined again with The Fleshreapers (ring world caught me off gaurd, neat stuff)

Ive also fixed my stupid window render issue (Vista Aero wasn't on). I'm completely lost and confused.. managing to kill stuff turn their carcasses into meat/leather then turn that into a backpack and leather clothing. made a hammer/shovel too, but I don't see their use

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
    edited October 2010
    Rubycat wrote: »
    I got in and joined again with The Fleshreapers (ring world caught me off gaurd, neat stuff)

Ive also fixed my stupid window render issue (Vista Aero wasn't on). I'm completely lost and confused.. managing to kill stuff turn their carcasses into meat/leather then turn that into a backpack and leather clothing. made a hammer/shovel too, but I don't see their use

Some buildings require a hammer to build(Most of the power generating facilities, to name a few). Some buildings require a shovel to build(The well (for oil and water and natural gas)). Other buildings require other tools, like tongs for harvesting radioactives and the nuclear power plant requires tongs to generate electricity. Once you get a city up and running building tools (which are consumed, but not as fast as consumables) becomes a priority.

If you can find a place (a retail store) to buy crates, get two of those, they vastly expand your inventory. Just watch the weight. (not of the crates, but of what you put in them.)

Dyvion on
  • Trevor GoodchildTrevor Goodchild Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This looks amazing, I logged in and joined the Fleshreapers empire late last night and no one appeared to be on though. It's possible I just had no idea how to communicate. Is there still a handful of you guys playing this?

Trevor Goodchild on
    edited October 2010
    I still play. Not sure about everyone else. Though keep in mind that the ringworld is suitably huge. There's every possibility that people are on the other side of the solar system, on the other side of the ring, exploring, or out about in the galaxy.

Archonex on
    edited October 2010
    I might be playing since there was a client update that might fix some of that weird epileptic space glitch. But I can't download the patch for some reason. :( This game is actively trying to keep me from playing it, I swear.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
    edited October 2010
    I might be playing since there was a client update that might fix some of that weird epileptic space glitch. But I can't download the patch for some reason. :(This game is actively trying to keep me from playing it, I swear.

I feel the same way.
    I heart you Hazeron.

e: Squee. Downloading new version, wishing for patch notes.

e2: Patch note #1- Gravity has been turned off. don't jump. I just got back from a trip into orbit courtesy of my legs.

e3: Don't know if it's intended... but hunger declines very rapidly now too. Also, I walked off a hill and kept going... it's basically unplayable if you don't have wings.

Dyvion on
    edited October 2010
    I might be playing since there was a client update that might fix some of that weird epileptic space glitch. But I can't download the patch for some reason. :( This game is actively trying to keep me from playing it, I swear.

Playing Hazeron is like being in an abusive relationship, and we keep coming back because we love it so much. It's really nice when it's not hitting us! :(

Edit: Oh wow the new client changed the graphics around a little.

rayofash on
    edited October 2010
    Everything seems to be fixed, i was able to walk around, enter a ship, add a crew and orbit the planet.

Then they shutdown the servers.

Back on after restart.

Dyvion on
  • The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I haven't been on lately due to real life being annoying and taking up most of my free time. Hopefully this will change soon and I'll be able to spend more time in the game again.

The Deliverator on
    edited October 2010
    So... I finally made a Fleshreaper... got some rudimentary supplies, hopped in a ship, gathered some crew (no soldiers in wangtopia?) and took off... then I went into limbo and I can't log in with him. sigh.

e: Found me a close by system to colonize. Lots of inferno planets/moons in the area, so I should be able to get rich shipping vast amounts of rare ores back to the ringworld. I hope anyway. Wangtasia lives!

e2: Ok... uh... don't buy the 'Giant Wang' design by me at the design studio. Some last minute changes before I started producing it kinda make it unusable. There's no way to get into/out of the captains bunk... or up to the engineering section. oops. Don't buy it[tm].

Dyvion on
    edited October 2010
    Sorry for the double post/bump, but the servers have seen vast improvements over the last week. He (developer dude) fixed a bottleneck somewhere and wormhole travel takes about 10 seconds max now. I've had a ship ferrying supplies back and forth between worlds for 3 days and my ship hasn't blown up. It's a much better game now.

Dyvion on
    edited October 2010
    I'm still suffering from general slowness and lag. :(

rayofash on
    edited October 2010
    rayofash wrote: »
    I'm still suffering from general slowness and lag. :(

I've still got issues with lag, but I'm in japan, so I kind of expect it. Occasionally I'll still get freezes, and my screen still refuses to update the area outside of a window when I close a it, which sux. But the game is performing much better for me overall. And my little wangstate solar system is gloriously providing extra income to the greater wangempire. And there will be much reaping of flesh.

Soon I shall have a tech 2 ship with sensors!

Dyvion on
    edited October 2010
    Previously, a new character could not join an empire that did not have any cities. This was a problem when a new emperor would start and a friend would try to immediatly join them. Now, if a city cannot be found but a newbie emperor is found, the new player joins the emperor.

Yay!

rayofash on
    edited October 2010
    New client update.

rayofash on
    edited October 2010
    I keep glancing at it, but with Fallout New Vegas and the update for minecraft I can't get back to the shores. My poor cities.

Dyvion on
    edited December 2010
    Game Restart Scheduled For 12/31/2010
    Universe Will Be Erased and Restarted
    - Tips -
    Save Your Character DNA (Save Character File at Game Startup)
    Save Your Ship Designs (Save To Local File in Design Studio)

rayofash on
    edited December 2010
    Anyone for rebooting the Free Merch Republic when this wipes?

Most folks lost interest in it due to the lag. But if it's fixed we should be able to have some fun.

Maybe this time the PA Empire won't spawn in on a veritable death world.

You know the wild-life has you a bit outclassed when you're playing super strong demons, and said demons can't even take down the gigantic (demonic) equivalent of a chicken with full assault rifle support.

Archonex on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This game terrified me when I examined it in the past. I ran for the hills.

But still I think back to what could have been, and I find myself gazing at the obsidian monolith in the distance.

The tribe thinks I'm losing my mind.

I fear I may have found it.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg