As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MMA X: Captain Guillotine: Fear the man who has practiced one choke 10,000 times

• Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Well, there were some circumstances surrounding the first fight.

Diaz claimed he had an excruciating time cutting weight to 160, and he also said he had been slowed down in his training by staph, previous to the fight. Back then at that specific period he didn't look too good against other opponents either and was generally slow and ineffective for some time. A few fights later he started looking better.

However, that's mostly just what Diaz says so who knows.

Anyway, Noons is a big underdog on betting lines so if you think the second fight will be a repeat of the first you should probably bet a few dollars

I can't say what caused it but I would certainly believe that weight cutting and/or staph played a role. I've seen many of his fights and he was wayyy slower than he normally is, he looked like shit. He also doesn't normally shoot for takedowns like that, he perfers to box. That he was shooting (so slowly and sloppily) suggests to me that he wanted to have a ground fight where he'd be able to conserve more energy. He was definitely losing that first round, no question about that.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Cabezone wrote: »
    Beating the shit outta the champ has got to give you some serious confidence. He's probably training heavily on how to properly pace himself and tons of cardio work.

If Brock is still champ next time Carwin gets his shot, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him win.
    No, it's more likely him trying to stay relevant in the division after steroid controversy and turning into a fish in the 2nd round.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    So I was browsing Carwin's twitter and I noticed him talking to someone with a user name I recognized. It's this kid Pat that I went to college with. Sure enough, Pat has the same picture on his facebook as he does on his twitter profile.

59043_556523360883_32200155_32677124_1629862_n.jpg

Nevermind the height difference or the arm size. Just look at the fist. Pat is a normal sized guy, about 5'11" and a little over 200lbs. And Carwin's fist is the size of his fucking head. Good fucking god.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I was browsing Carwin's twitter and I noticed him talking to someone with a user name I recognized. It's this kid Pat that I went to college with. Sure enough, Pat has the same picture on his facebook as he does on his twitter profile.

59043_556523360883_32200155_32677124_1629862_n.jpg

Nevermind the height difference or the arm size. Just look at the fist. Pat is a normal sized guy, about 5'11" and a little over 200lbs. And Carwin's fist is the size of his fucking head. Good fucking god.
    I wouldn't go that far.

I mean, his bicep is the size of his head.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Beating the shit outta the champ has got to give you some serious confidence. He's probably training heavily on how to properly pace himself and tons of cardio work.

If Brock is still champ next time Carwin gets his shot, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him win.
    No, it's more likely him trying to stay relevant in the division after steroid controversy and turning into a fish in the 2nd round.

I like Carwin and all but yeah a looming steroid controversy is going to give him some problems

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    man ufc's promos always have a way of getting me to second guess my picks

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    man ufc's promos always have a way of getting me to second guess my picks

They're good at that aren't they. They really portray the underdog as having a solid chance, they do an excellent job of it.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Spectrum wrote: »

I like Carwin and all but yeah a looming steroid controversy is going to give him some problems

There's no controversy at all unless he's charged or tests positive. Otherwise, he's just another top contender.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    ForumiteForumite Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    120 is a really open card

I can see Bisping beating Akiyama and I can see Akiyama beating Bisping. I can see Hardy beating Condit and I can see Condit beating Hardy.

I only think Hathaway is a lock in (which probably means he'll lose :()

Forumite on
    33tp6w6.gif
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I have to say that Bisping seems to be improving and I'm doubting whether Akiyama's training is efficient and if he's in the right weight class. Like a lot of Japanese fighters, he doesn't seem to be cutting any weight.

My money is on Bisping.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My money is solidly on Akiyama. Bisping's offense is his boxing, but Akiyama's power (demonstrated by how out of it Leben was at times during their fight) will not allow Bisping to exchange for long. Bisping will most likely be on the outside to hit and run, but Akiyama's judo will allow him to wrestle Bisping against the cage and get in some shots. Bisping's ground game is underrated, and his record doesn't have a single loss by submission in it, so I don't feel Akiyama would bother going for it. However, I see him taking down Bisping to nullify any points Bisping may possibly gain during the time both fighters are in the stand up, to rest up and avoid having stamina problems like in the Leben fight, and take the step out of Bisping's footwork, allowing him to land those hard shots that rocked Leben's eyes white. However, I am basing this on an out-dated Bisping. His boxing most likely has improved greatly, and he most likely gotten rid of some of his poor habits that stopped him from having that KO power he seems to lack (as said by Couture) but Akiyama's got a good chin. The only way I see Akiyama losing is if he doesn't be on the aggressive, and gives too much respect for Bisping's striking. That's pretty unlikely though, but that may change during the fight.

ALSO DON'T BE SCARED HOMIE 7PST/10EST STRIKEFORCE DIAZ v.s NOONS TODAY!

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What channel is it on?

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh yeah, Bisping has definitely improved his standup. He looked really solid in his last fight with Miller. I don't think he'll KO Akiyama though

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    fmz65 wrote: »
    What channel is it on?

adytum on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am not too familiar with American broadcasting but I checked their website and it says "on Showtime and CBS"

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Showtime.

If you ain't scared, get ready because I'm ready to bet avatar/sig on Diaz. Any takers?

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Showtime.

If you ain't scared, get ready because I'm ready to bet avatar/sig on Diaz. Any takers?

I would never bet agasint that scary motherfucker.

As for 120, I know what you mean about the 2 "main events" both could go either way.

If Pyle beats Hathaway I will eat my shoes. John is the future at 170.
    seasons shoes just in case

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Blurgh... showtime... looks like its going to be stream searching for me.

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    fmz65 wrote: »
    Blurgh... showtime... looks like its going to be stream searching for me.

Truth. I wonder if bars will carry it, hmmm.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    Showtime.

I would never bet agasint that scary motherfucker.

As for 120, I know what you mean about the 2 "main events" both could go either way.

If Pyle beats Hathaway I will eat my shoes. John is the future at 170.
    seasons shoes just in case

LOL Venkman, you remind me of Gareth A. Davies. You always pull for the british fighters.

But yeah, I like Hathaway, alot... hes a very promising prospect.

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Going to Strikeforce! I'll give you guys my account when I get back...

WAR NOONS!

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So do we know of any streams where this may be available? For those of us lacking the television sets.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    PM me for links. There's one bound to always be on: google search atdhe

Though every now and then it gets taken down again to be reupped, but this ain't UFC so it'll probably run smoothly today.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I found one too, woo! First fight coming up now.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The pink tape is very manly.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    ...that wasn't much of a fight.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, pretty underwhelming. Aw well. I just want to see Diaz fight Noons already.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yes, I want to see Diaz get his face punched in already.

I am also curious to see a women's match that *doesn't* involve Cyborg brutalizing someone who shouldn't even be in the ring. Could be interesting!

I'm also antsy because I want to get back to playing Castlevania...

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I wanted foxy boxing!

(These ladies are attractive, unlike Cyborg)

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Dranyth wrote: »
    Yes, I want to see Diaz get his face punched in already.

I am also curious to see a women's match that *doesn't* involve Cyborg brutalizing someone who shouldn't even be in the ring. Could be interesting!

I'm also antsy because I want to get back to playing Castlevania...

True, I don't see many female fights, I've never seen these two fight. Also, its a Canadian vs a Dutchgirl. Not American or Brazilian or even Japanese, I didn't know female MMA even existed outside those three countries. Well, thats an exaggeration, but this should still be novel.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    ...and was that Greg Jackson in Kaufman's corner?

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Every one loves El gowppole.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hah, Kaufman is soooo pale. Canadians. She's compact, definitely has some strength.

Doesn't really look like either wants to go to the ground, it seemed like Kaufman briefly tried a trip when they were moving across the mat to the cage, but other than that...

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    This fight is really failing to deliver. One's landing hard shots, but they're far between the long clinches against the fence by the other.

Okay, finally there's been a takedown. Some ground and pound. Hopefully round three will be like that instead.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ooo, end of round 2 started looking pretty interesting! Would like to see more of that from earlier in the round, Coenen could've locked in a sub if there was more time left...

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Christ, Coenen must've locked that in *hard*, because it wasn't really left in that long before the ref saw and stopped it, was pretty quick and still dislocated it? Or extended it or something.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It means she had it in perfect position from the very beginning, and when you do, just a little past the edge makes you tap, and they were rolling around.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Kaufman also fell in a bad way. She fell kinda out and down, while her arm looked still trapped. This would put even more pressure on the joint. However it happened it sucks, but these things happen.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well yeah, Kaufman tried to pull out of it or make Coenen lose her grip before she realized it was too late and had to tap.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Here comes JZ. Thomson's been pulling this guy's bandwagon for awhile.

doug_grammar on