As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ATTACK OF THE THIRD DIMENSION - IN 3D!!!

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've had enough introspective superman

I want him to punch things

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Keith wrote: »
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    My god, that is such a stupid trailer. It's a voice-over with a bunch of silhouettes, only they used a gimmick to reveal the silhouettes. The screen zooms into this guy's armpit and it turns into another guy. Who came up with this shit? Was there a meeting? Someone in authority actually gave it the thumbs up and allowed it to be created and released.

it's an announcement teaser

that's what they do

People always bitch about the like 3 year out announcement trailer, then forget when the real thing comes out 6 months later.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Snyder seems like a good guy who means well, at least that's the vibe I got from his interviews when Watchmen was coming out. He's not as full of himself as Shyamalan comes off in interviews.

This is how I feel too.

He is a late convert to geekdom who kind of sits on the line between mainstream normal dude and fanboy, and I have no doubt that this gives him an extra appeal to the studio system. I think he tries really hard to do his best on all of his projects, but that at the same time he misses a lot of subtext and has kind of mass-appeal tastes that really hurt a project like Watchmen.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Jim West, desperado?

No, you don't want nada

iguanacus on
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've had enough introspective superman

I want him to punch things

Over and over and over ...

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That's what the animated movies are for. If you want a live action supes movie you have to take the sullen introspection and self-doubting that comes along with it.

The trick is to finding the balance between the thinking superman, and the violent superman. I think it can be done.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Furu wrote: »
    Have you watched any of season 10?

it is completely insane

I mean jesus Deadshot is a recurring villain now

except that Deadshot is now a steampunk cowboy

I was so psyched when i saw the red eye. And then it was just the red eye. On a cowboy. Urban cowboy. But even with all that, I still love Smallville. It's fun mostly because it doesn't stick to DC canon.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't really understand the red eye. He seems to have perfect aim regardless.

Also, peripheral vision is rather important.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Apparently they're showing about 10 minutes worth of All Star Superman at the con right now.

Jimmy Olsen is apparently still there in silver age fashion, and Atlus and Samson still show up. It sounds like this is going to be a really fantastic thing. I felt like Under the Red Hood was sort of the definitive Batman animated movie, and I feel like All Star Superman will be the same for big blue.

I'm not as excited about Year One, though. The origin has been done to death, and although the Art is fantastic in that book, I was never too in love with it. I definitely like DKR a lot more.

Edit: Apparently Timm said they've already shown the finished version to Grant Morrison, and he was really happy with it. Timm said there "were a few times that he said, "God, I wish I had done it that way."

I am so excited for this.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Geoff Johns thinks a Justice League movie wouldn't work because DC's characters are "bigger" than Marvel's. I think that's hilarious, personally.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/joshw24/news/?a=23674

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Geoff Johns thinks a Justice League movie wouldn't work because DC's characters are "bigger" than Marvel's. I think that's hilarious, personally.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/joshw24/news/?a=23674

I don't know, part of me thinks he's kind of right about that. DC characters are extreamly powerful when compared to Marvel characters and I see them working well as individual franchises, but if you throw them all together it may just make the movie too big for anyone to realate to.

I like the DCU movies better as animated ones I guess, it gives them more options and they don't have to go crazy on CGI the way you know they'd have to in a live-action flick.

But if live-action DC characters were built up the way Marvel's been doing I think a Justice League movie could be a possibility.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hawkman is huge in Europe.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I agree with Johns. Unlike other media that have handled superheroes, film demands that the civilian personalities of the characters play a major role in almost story, and that they also be involved in a relationship subplot with a defined arc.

The Justice League is generally about heroes hanging out in costume and fighting, though, and interpersonal relationships along with the overall team dynamic are generally neglected as a result. You never see Bruce Wayne, Clark Kent, Wally West, etc. just chilling out like Tony Stark does with SHIELD, and any insight we get into their lives outside crime-fighting generally comes from their fully segregated personal titles. If you transposed that approach to film, you'd basically have a JLA film that assumed knowledge of the involved characters and was composed primarily of fight scenes.

Furthermore, the personalities of characters like Superman and Batman are just so big that it's hard to imagine them engaging in those short, character building conversations we saw in Iron Man between RDJ and Terrence Howard/Don Cheadle. Instead, I imagine that we'd just have two imposing figures fighting each other for center stage.

Personally, I think the only way a Justice League movie works is if it's a significant departure from the comics and cartoons.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So you're saying we need a Justice League International movie.

Robos my boy, I think you have a future in this organization.

Munch on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wait, Hawkman is huge in Europe, no joke?

I thought his hairy chest and mace would offend Parisians and the Dutch.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    You've never heard of Amsterdam's Hawkcon?

There's like, giant parade balloons and everything. They have a guy that dresses like the Atom and rides on his shoulder.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    You're wrinkling my brain.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yes, the Atom of the parade is chosen through a pageant of inebriated tourists who are tested for such qualities as grace, poise, and a willingness to sign insurance waivers.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    This means Aquaman would be big in the Scandanavian countries though, right? Who's big in Argentina?

I need to write this down and make myself believe this, it's too good not to.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I call shenanigans, even though I want to believe

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    and Geoff Johns is just saying that Superman has a big weiner

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    so when is this gonna devolve into a DC CHARACTERS ARE BORING argument

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I thought every character DC was the best except stupid old Superman.

The Grant Morrison approach to the JLA was to tell a story about gods saving the universe, and just insert the JLA into it (compared to say, his X-Men work which was much more character driven). I don't see how that can't translate to the big screen, it would just require a big budget to deal with 5 big heroes being everywhere int he world/galaxy.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I thought every character DC was the best except stupid old Superman.

The Grant Morrison approach to the JLA was to tell a story about gods saving the universe, and just insert the JLA into it (compared to say, his X-Men work which was much more character driven). I don't see how that can't translate to the big screen, it would just require a big budget to deal with 5 big heroes being everywhere int he world/galaxy.

The problem is that blockbusters are designed for mass market appeal in order to justify their tremendous budgets, and what you're describing has rather limited appeal.

Also, unlike Morrison's League, the film would have decades of foundational stories to establish how each of the cast members relate to each other.

You'd have to show a roomful of A-type personalities getting to know each other for the first time, provide a convincing reason for why they wouldn't just operate independently like normal, and then finally provide a satisfying conclusion to their character arc.

This is doable with Avengers because you already have a framework for the team and the characters themselves are (relatively) friendly and grounded, but the process becomes much more difficult when you're talking about people who are largely independent and have no reason to even talk to each other, much less trust each other.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I think that, if they went with a really big high concept, it could work. Personally, I'd like to see a JLA/4th World mash-up. Gods v.s. Superheroes? Modern myths v.s. mythology? I think it could work. Warning: Munch's [strike]erotic[/strike] fanfiction ahead.
    Open up with a world being laid to ruin. People in funky duds run screaming from beautiful, burning buildings. Highfather is dragged forward in chains by an ogreish Kalibak. Darkseid arrives to mock him, only for Highfather to reveal that the New Genesians have perfected Boom Tube technology, the survivors instantly teleporting away to Earth. Darkseid incinerates Highfather, and dispatches Kalibak and Kanto, the Odd Couple of Apokolips, to track down the surviving Genesians.

Roll credits, with the core JLA each receiving a brief origin (Rocketed to Earth, parents killed, sculpted from clay, lab explosion, dead alien, found on the shore, teleported to Earth by a curious scientist), a look at their solo heroic careers, and then all of them fighting Starro.

Cut to the present, do a little character development, BWOOT BWOOT JLA ALERT, Kalibak and Kanto fight Orion in the middle of Metropolis. The JLA arrives and separates the combatants, with the Apokoliptians sending a transmission to Darkseid before they get KO'd.

Orion explains that there was a war in Heaven, that the wrong side won, and that now his father will come and lay waste to Earth.

From there you can do all kinds of stuff. The internal struggle in the team between the people who don't think it's their war to fight, and those who do. The interrogation scene between the equally canny and unsettling Kanto and Batman. Orion calling upon his people to stop hiding in human shells, and come to Earth's aid. J'onn J'onnz in a colossal throwdown with Darkseid.

I have no idea if normal movie-goers would like it, but I'd watch the Hell out of that movie.

Really, I think the biggest problem with a JLA movie would be the practical aspects of movie-making. I don't see Christian Bale doing an ensemble film like that, and if you can't get him as Batman, what's the point? And if you were going to do it right, the budget would be enormous.

That said, I'm still waiting to see someone do a PG-13 CGI superhero movie (aside from The Incredibles), able to appeal to both kids and adults. It seems like all recent attempts to do animated films aimed at an older audience (Titan A.E., Final Fantasy, Beowulf) have flopped, but I wonder if the brand name recognition of a Marvel or DC property could overcome that.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Do you guys remember how close they were to making that JLA movie during the writer's strike?

That would've been interesting, especially with unknowns in every part and no consistency with Nolan's bat movies.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I like how every single bit of new information about that movie seemed worse than the one that preceded it. It's like the executives in charge were on a month long coke bender, went to rehab, and then came out realizing what they'd almost birthed into cinemas across America.

Munch on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You'd have to show a roomful of A-type personalities getting to know each other for the first time, provide a convincing reason for why they wouldn't just operate independently like normal, and then finally provide a satisfying conclusion to their character arc.

Or you could say 'screw it, that's what the tie-in prequel comic is for' and just have them as an established team at the very beginning smashing the shit out of world-ending threats. :D

Wildcat on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wildcat wrote: »

Or you could say 'screw it, that's what the tie-in prequel comic is for' and just have them as an established team at the very beginning smashing the shit out of world-ending threats. :D

I agree. You don't need to show the origins of every character at the beginning, just reference it in the story if it all. The audience can understand "these guys are superheroes and they fight villains." without needing to know the specifics.

Solar on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Solar wrote: »

I agree. You don't need to show the origins of every character at the beginning, just reference it in the story if it all. The audience can understand "these guys are superheroes and they fight villains." without needing to know the specifics.

Especially the line-up includes the Trinity.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Solar wrote: »

Especially the line-up includes the Trinity.

Exactly. Everyone knows the origin of Bats and Supes, Wonder Woman is an amazon princess so bingo for that. The other ones just need a few small references but apart from that you'd be just fine.

Solar on
  • Options
    NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wow! They actually make Spencer look cool in that video. And MODOK.....Awesome!!!

I love that Arthur is a playable character now. He is definitely going to a part of my main three man team along with Tron Bonne.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I love MODOK so darn much.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I am pretty sure you can't be a human being and not love MODOK

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am pretty sure you can't be a human being and not love MODOK

eventhubs.com would claim otherwise.

Plus on gametrailers.com his video has a 6.5/10 out of 200 some votes (very low for gametrailers user votes). But Magneto has a 9.5/10. Makes me sad. Makes me very very sad :(

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    wishpig you are terrible for trying to find MODOK haters

absolutely terrible

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    We need to know who to fight, boss

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    antimatter

I will tell you who to fight

and "people" who hate MODOK ain't it

because you see

they are already dead inside

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    tlb why do you want zombies to kill us all.

Angry on