As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Android] Thread: The root of all roms - market.android.com now live

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If it does, it's probably the same sort of thing going on with the G2. The community'll probably have it figured out by then.

Dehumanized on
  • AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dedian wrote: »
    Spudge wrote: »
    End wrote: »
    Sadly, you probably don't have enough memory to run Firefox on your G1. Their port of Firefox is a bit of a memory hog.

Edit: It takes up like 50M just to start up I think?

I figured as much. I think I tried everything - loaded everything to SD, stopped all nonessential processes, tried running Swap AND Compcache, no dice

Oh well I guess. Now at least I have a ton of space with which I will do nothing

I've got a hero, which is almost the same processor - I don't think it's compiled/compatible with our CPU's.

Just a heads up, I've found compcache to actually impact negatively on performance over time (at least, it did on my Hero). The phone would just become more and more unresponsive when it came to loading things until I rebooted it, then it'd be snappy all over. IIRC the ROM dev said it might have had something to do with how the compcache would get fragmented over time because of it's implementation, so he started releasing future versions of the ROM with compcache disabled.

I'm not sure if things have changed, but I've been running without it enabled ever since. Not sure if the same issue affects the G1, though.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Joe K wrote: »
    End wrote: »
    I am absolutely certain pandora can be streamed through bluetooth, because I've done it. Just checked google listen and that works too.

Doesn't look like you can do the voice search via mic, although it prompts me to enter voice input if I hit the call button on my bluetooth headset. I've never actually gone on to actually see if that works, since I've always hit that button on accident when I've been trying to skip a song instead.

I just tried Pandora through my bluetooth headset (that I've been making calls with all morning), and it went right to the onboard speaker. Was there something special that you did?

I looked into doing this kind of thing a few weeks ago. I'm led to believe that streaming to bluetooth only works if the bluetooth headset is an a2dp device.

ok, that makes more sense, i'm not sure if my current plantronics headset qualifies.

Joe K on
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Alegis wrote: »
    Hey coke, what did I have to do again to get MMS/internet mail working on HTC Desire? (unlocked, non-softbank HTC Desire)

because as I understand my phone can't make the distinction between the softbank internet mail service and just general 3g mobile internet and if I would turn it on it would just rape the shit out of my subscription with data charges (instead of keeping to the standard 300 yen rate for only softbank mail)

Only getting my sim/phone tuesday though, but I tried with a docomo SIM at a docomo shop and calling worked fine with a docomo test SIM they had there.

If you have the 2.2 upgrade, you can download the MMS plugin from the app store. It's kinda shit, honestly, but you at least have MMS that way.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh there's an app on the store? Thanks. Was reading on some sites like softbanksucks that I'd have to root, install jackie72's MMS.apk etc (as softbank does user agent authentication on MMS to only allow iphones?), and a lot of hassle involving getting paket houdai subscriptions/tinkering to get the internet mail working (and not have the desire rape the data plan).

I think I just won't bother and SMS instead. Everyone else here's getting softbank anyways.

Alegis on
  • SilasSilas Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sexy new home screens - ripped off entirely from stuff I found on xda.

snap20101009225405.th.png snap20101009225316.png10998495.th.png

Silas on
    Ancient+J.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    hot dang, how would you make those

Centipede Damascus on
    edited October 2010
    that's the sort of thing that gets quite easy to do once rooted, just let someone else do the hard work and flash it onto your phone

Dehumanized on
    edited October 2010
    Oh there's an app on the store? Thanks. Was reading on some sites like softbanksucks that I'd have to root, install jackie72's MMS.apk etc (as softbank does user agent authentication on MMS to only allow iphones?), and a lot of hassle involving getting paket houdai subscriptions/tinkering to get the internet mail working (and not have the desire rape the data plan).

I think I just won't bother and SMS instead. Everyone else here's getting softbank anyways.

Yeah, it just came out Friday with the 2.2 update.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Karl wrote: »
    So i've got a HTC Wildfire, and i want cool games for my phone. Now if the game is REALLY good i'm prepared to pay. I've noticed that Iphone gets a civilisation game. Is there something similar on the andriod marketplace?

I really like Fruit Ninja.

And Speedx 3D.

And the Transformers G1 game.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited October 2010
    MyPhoneExplorer now supports Android, going to check it out myself later.

http://www.fjsoft.at/en/highlight.php
    Connect your phone via cable, bluetooth or infrared and you'll be surprised how easy and efficient you can manage your phone with this compact software. Since it's first appearance MyPhoneExplorer evolved into the most popular freeware tool for SE-phones and is constantly extended by new features. Since version 1.8 MyPhoneExplorer supports also Android-based phones (connected via WiFi or USB cable)

Features:

Adressbook - with direct sync to Outlook, GMail, Windows contacts, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Lotus Notes and Tobit David
    Organizer with calendarview and direct sync to Outlook, Google, Sunbird, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Windows calendar(Vista), Rainlendar, Lotus Notes, Tobit David and net shared calendars (WebDAV, FTP, local)
    SMS - archive, export, import, excessive messages,...
    Filebrowser with cachesystem to minimize datatransfer, automatic photosync...
    Set phoneclock based on atomtime
    and much more. f.e.: calllists, edit profiles, control phone, memorystatus, phonemonitor,...

Alegis on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Okay, so. My phone no longer lets me mount the SD card via USB connection. This used to work. But now pressing mount SD causes no visible reaction from my computer.
    that's the sort of thing that gets quite easy to do once rooted, just let someone else do the hard work and flash it onto your phone

Yes, but tell us how!

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    edited October 2010
    So the phone is set to Disk Drive and the PC does not see the SD card?

What does Device Manager say when the phone is plugged in?

Alegis on
    edited October 2010
    Used unrevoked to root my desire. That was surprisingly painless. Fix the drivers then let it do its thing while it recovers the images and roots/reboots the phone on its own.
    unrevoked3 currently supports the following Android phones:

Sprint EVO 4G (HTC Supersonic)
    Droid Incredible (HTC Incredible)
    HTC Desire GSM
    HTC Desire CDMA (HTC BravoC)
    HTC Aria
    Droid Eris (HTC DesireC)
    HTC Wildfire (HTC Buzz)

recommended. Goes right into the root OP section

Alegis on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So the phone is set to Disk Drive and the PC does not see the SD card?

What does Device Manager say when the phone is plugged in?

Device manager isn't showing anything. This is the strange thing.

Edit: Fixed it. I had to change the settings from "Mass Storage" to "ask me" and then select it from the menu that came up when I plugged it into USB. Also: Lots of restarting phones and computers.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    edited October 2010
    On the subject on rooting - I proper buggered up my phone doing it, somehow managed to fix it, but was a real nightmare.

At one point the phone wouldn't boot, then when I finally got it to by buggering about some more, it wouldn't connect to network, wouldn't connect to internet, wouldn't make calls / messages, couldn't see the SD card, couldn't use the onscreen keyboard and kept on resetting. Amongst other things...
    Oh yeah, and Nandroid had failed to work after I rooted it.

Somehow managed to fix it by using an executable RUU but the experience has really put me off rooting.

For the record, I used Unrevoked and tried to change my Desire from 2.1 to 2.2 (I'm with 3) and followed a guide to the letter, up to Nandroid failing.

Wish 3 would hurry up and put 2.2 out for all it's users.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • SilasSilas Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    An update and some helpful threads for anyone wanting to do something similar.

newone757's thread - The first, I think

h_zee13's thread - Widgets and stuff

Wheezy_be's thread - more icons and widgets in 7 colors

snap20101010100540.png

Silas on
    Ancient+J.png
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Looks cool but not really functional enough for me. I really like my set up right now, sort of copied what other people did. My main screen has the time, weather and the calender with scheduled events. Left of that screen is the apps I use frequently and to the right of the main screen has power control. Pretty much perfect for now, just trying to find a good wallpaper that lets me read text.

Fizban140 on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    man, Shortyz is awesome if you like crossword puzzles. so awesome.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/shortyz-crosswords/com.totsp.crossword.shortyz

Ah_Pook on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man, that Android 7 stuff is awesome.

Kyougu on
  • eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hey, Just picked up a Galaxy S Vibrant (Bell Canada, I9000M) and I'm trying to be as safe as possible when it comes to messing this phone up. So 2 quick Q's right now:

Wipe data/factory reset from system recovery will put it back to day 1 with any bloatware that came installed, non-rooted access, and all contacts and associations to my google account will be removed? So basically as long as I can get to recovery I can make my phone dead stock?

Apart from not losing the hours of work a person's put into rooting and customizing their phone, is there any advantage to SPRecovery's nandroid backup/restore features? Will it recover a phone that system recovery couldn't?

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
    edited October 2010
    If you root and replace recovery with a custom recovery (be it Clockwork, AmonRa, or something else), recovery will (probably) not return you to dead stock anymore. If a RUU exists for your phone, then you probably want to have that somewhere if you needed to return your phone to factory defaults.

Dehumanized on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    man, Shortyz is awesome if you like crossword puzzles. so awesome.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/shortyz-crosswords/com.totsp.crossword.shortyz

Agreed. So many hours have been devoured by that app. The cleanup option is a nice touch, as well.

Adobe AIR is up on the marketplace. Apps using AIR are also popping up.

Got into the App Inventor beta over the weekend. I haven't had the chance to check it out yet, though. Looking forward to diving into it this week.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Good Evening! I got a Swanky New Evo 4g and have 4g in my area /flex. So, does anyone know anything about the app "kmonster"? It lets you log in to DDi and do monster look ups and other information from wizards and your DDi subscription. My worry is that it's a fish or something and I don't want to risk my account. I'm new to android market but was totally trusting on my iphone. go figure.

Thanks!

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So after years of having a shitphone, I bought a Samsung Epic 4g yesterday. I previously had a samsung instinct, which sucked, and an iphone that had been jailbroken, but with out AT&T service so it was basically an ipod touch.

God DAMN the android is awesome. The stock app market has more variety than the jailbroken iphone market. There are just so many apps available. By far my most used app thus far is AndroZip. The idea of being able to unzip files from my phone is incredible. This feels far more like a PDA than the iphone, which impressed me mightly when I first got it.

So what are some most-have apps? I've already installed dolphin, androzip, yaairc, and the pdf reader.

EDIT: incidentally, I went into the store yesterday with the idea that I was gonna walk out with an HTC Evo 4g. But the fact that the epic's CPU rates higher in reviews, and that it had a physical keyboard (which is a major perk in my book) sold me on it.

TheSonicRetard on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    first and foremost get appbrain market

it's a much better way to browse the market and find stuff than the vanilla app

nexuscrawler on
    edited October 2010

Thanks, the default market is pretty slow.

So the epic uses touchwiz 3 as its interface. I don't want to root my phone just yet, but is there another way to change the name or icons on the home screen?

TheSonicRetard on
    edited October 2010
    I like Barcode Scanner, gStrings+ and Solo (fun little guitar app).

Also Google Sky Maps and the Amazon Kindle thing,

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited October 2010
    So what are some most-have apps? I've already installed dolphin, androzip, yaairc, and the pdf reader.

There's a bunch in the first post of this thread

Alegis on
    edited October 2010
    One thing I did notice about rooting (finally rooted now that I have 2.2), if you have an HTC phone, be sure to install HTC Sync first, to get the drivers. Then you'll probably want to uninstall the program before rooting, like the tutorials say.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

There's a bunch in the first post of this thread

It could use with some updating though.

TSR, I too went from a crap phone to an Android about a month ago and here are a few apps I've found useful that haven't been listed yet:

Spare Parts: Lets you tinker with settings that are tough to find. Stuff like not having Wi-Fi shut off if the phone is idle, tinkering with some of the animations, etc.

Quick Settings: Lets you turn a variety of settings on and off from one easy menu. Stuff like phone volume, wi-fi, bluetooth, the ringer, etc.

Google Shopper: Lets you use the phone's camera to scan stuff like book covers to find reviews online.

Astro File Manager: A better file manager than the stock one.

Aside from that, there are various useful reference apps. I like waepedia better than the quickpedia linked in the OP, find the weather channel's app to be my weather app of choice, have a Reuters app for news, a dictionary.com app for that stuff, and the Movies app to access rotten tomatoes reviews. Most of my other apps have already been covered in the OP or in the last few pages.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Vignette is worth the $4. Holy shit there are so many options, and the pictures come out looking pretty damn good.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    make sure to get handcent SMS

Bump is fantastic for sharing contact info (and it works between iOS and Android phones!)

Ringdroid is a must have for making your own ringtones on the go

if you like going to concerts, pick up Gigbox, also last.fm if you have a last.fm account

Centipede Damascus on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    For a file browser, I would recommend ES File Explorer. I don't know if Astro updated to include this feature, but ES can browse Samba shares. Makes transferring files between phone and computer pretty nice.

Mustachio Jones on
    edited October 2010
    picked up handcent, ES File Explorer, and Ringdroid on recommendation. ES File Explorer in particular is cool, because it picked up my media server with no mess, and it can talk to my ubuntu laptop easily too.

The epic actually includes a built in utility to do all the wifi and volume stuff Steel Angel mentioned. Is there any advantage to the third party apps?

TheSonicRetard on
  • mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

So the epic uses touchwiz 3 as its interface. I don't want to root my phone just yet, but is there another way to change the name or icons on the home screen?

I have AT&T's Captivate, so it might be a little different, but it still runs tw. You can mess with all of it except your dock. Anything you don't want just long press and trash it, then you can put your stuff up. If you want to get into some customization and make so you can't really see all the bloatware they won't let you remove I would get LauncherPro from the market. That also will let you cusomize your dock and give you up to, I believe, five docks you can cycle through. Also each dock will have five shortcuts instead of four. LauncherPro will let you hide apps you don't want by going into the General Settings in the Preferences. Some other cool things we've been using (which I copied from Allforce) are Apps Organizer, which lets you tag your apps into categories, and Desktop Visualizer which will, among other things, let you access your tag categories from your home screen.

Then there's all sorts of cool widgets you can get. I find audio manager is a really useful app because it lets you adjust all of the different volume settings in the phone, and I use Smooth Calendar to pull things from my Calendar to the home screen. Some people here will probably have clock recommendations, but I can see the time either from my lock screen (I put a gesture code in because I actually bought an app from in my pants pocket - something about handcent turning my screen on when I got a text message even though I told it to pop up under the lock screen) or on the top bar, so I haven't really needed a clock widget. I use the Weather Channel's app right now but its widget is ugly. I wish I had a transparent background widget but Snowstorm (another popular one) doesn't work right for me. I recommend (as others have) Handcent SMS. I like to keep all of my texts and when I told the stock messanger to put no limits on how many I keep it popped up a message five times a day about "wouldn't you like to put limits on your texts?"

http://www.appbrain.com/user/mareimbrium/apps-on-the-phone (though keep in mind I have downloaded more apps than I have actually used yet)

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
    edited October 2010

I have AT&T's Captivate, so it might be a little different, but it still runs tw. You can mess with all of it except your dock. Anything you don't want just long press and trash it, then you can put your stuff up. If you want to get into some customization and make so you can't really see all the bloatware they won't let you remove I would get LauncherPro from the market. That also will let you cusomize your dock and give you up to, I believe, five docks you can cycle through. Also each dock will have five shortcuts instead of four. LauncherPro will let you hide apps you don't want by going into the General Settings in the Preferences. Some other cool things we've been using (which I copied from Allforce) are Apps Organizer, which lets you tag your apps into categories, and Desktop Visualizer which will, among other things, let you access your tag categories from your home screen.

Then there's all sorts of cool widgets you can get. I find audio manager is a really useful app because it lets you adjust all of the different volume settings in the phone, and I use Smooth Calendar to pull things from my Calendar to the home screen. Some people here will probably have clock recommendations, but I can see the time either from my lock screen (I put a gesture code in because I actually bought an app from in my pants pocket - something about handcent turning my screen on when I got a text message even though I told it to pop up under the lock screen) or on the top bar, so I haven't really needed a clock widget. I use the Weather Channel's app right now but its widget is ugly. I wish I had a transparent background widget but Snowstorm (another popular one) doesn't work right for me. I recommend (as others have) Handcent SMS. I like to keep all of my texts and when I told the stock messanger to put no limits on how many I keep it popped up a message five times a day about "wouldn't you like to put limits on your texts?"

http://www.appbrain.com/user/mareimbrium/apps-on-the-phone (though keep in mind I have downloaded more apps than I have actually used yet)

widgets drain the battery, no? Is there a place you can get more widgets? I actually have 2 screens set up for various widgets (we get 7 screens on the epic), despite me trying to limit their use due to battery drain.

I guess the only major difference is that the epic actually uses a custom version of touch wiz, which was made to work in landscape and vertical mode. As I understand it, touch wiz doesn't support landscape mode, but since the epic has a keyboard, they had to kinda hack it in.

Which is why I'm holding off on rooting the phone, actually. I want to make sure that any rom I put on here is built specifically for the epic 4.

TheSonicRetard on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Does anyone know of any music trackers for Android? A Google search doesn't really turn up anything except ReLoop Music Sequencer but I'm not sure that's what I'm looking for. I'm looking for something more like SunVox or MadTracker.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That is true, my touchwiz doesn't do landscape. LauncherPro can work in landscape though (I had to turn it off actually). From what I understand widgets are a battery drain mostly because they are usually checking the internet for updates - things like twitter, news feeds, etc. But you can change the widget settings to make them update less often if you want. I suppose the other widgets might take some processor power but I guess it depends on the widget. As far as where to get them you'll want to look around AppBrain's market or the Android Market.

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
    edited October 2010
    Devices without a keyboard going into landscape homescreen is an impediment to usability, anyways

Dehumanized on