As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NBA Jam Returns! Wii version out now! 360/PS3 versions out today.

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    They'd probably still sell more than it ever would if it was limited to the XBLA ghetto.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hey, who wants to unlock

DEMOCRATS
    On the Press A To Start screen, press Left 13 times, and then +. They will be unlocked in the + screen in Team Select.

REPUBLICANS
    On the Press A To Start screen, press Right 13 times, and then +. They will be unlocked in the + screen in Team Select.

J COLE AND 9TH WONDER (WHO ARE THEY? I DON'T KNOW!)
    On the Press A To Start screen, press Up, Left, Down, Right Up, Left, Down, Right, 1, and 2. They will be unlocked in the + screen in Team Select.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Hey, who wants to unlock

DEMOCRATS
    On the Press A To Start screen, press Left 13 times, and then +. They will be unlocked in the + screen in Team Select.

REPUBLICANS
    On the Press A To Start screen, press Right 13 times, and then +. They will be unlocked in the + screen in Team Select.

Perfect.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I wasn't really meaning a yearly franchise, though

Just a Tournament Edition

I just saw 2012 and went with it.

Those codes are hilarious.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    They'd probably still sell more than it ever would if it was limited to the XBLA ghetto.

I get that broadband hasn't really penetrated rural Nebraska or Kansas yet but there's a ton of XBLA games that have cracked a million in sales in the last year.

Most of the civilized parts of the country have access to it and use it frequently.

Allforce on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Allforce wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »

I get that broadband hasn't really penetrated rural Nebraska or Kansas yet but there's a ton of XBLA games that have cracked a million in sales in the last year.

Most of the civilized parts of the country have access to it and use it frequently.

I think you should probably stop this line of aggression as a) most of Nebraska has broadband and b) no, XBLA is a ghetto of sales and you'll still sell more as a retail title.

Online gaming is still not the end all be all.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fyrewulff do you have any evidence to support any of your claims or are you just going to continue making things up

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fyrewulff do you have any evidence to support any of your claims or are you just going to continue making things up

This thread just keeps going in a loop.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Evidence to support your claims that titles sell more on XBLA than they would at retail? Or even evidence that the difference is somehow negligible?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    In July of 2009 BF1943 had sold over 600,000 copies at a $15 price point. ( after a week of sales!) That game has a lot more to it than NBA Jam.

http://www.ea.com/news/battlefield-1943-sales

If they release it at Christmas for $60 as a stand-alone it'll fail hilariously. Especially with how successful of a release NBA2k11 has had.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    mugginns wrote: »
    In July of 2009 BF1943 had sold over 600,000 copies at a $15 price point. ( after a week of sales!) That game has a lot more to it than NBA Jam.

http://www.ea.com/news/battlefield-1943-sales

Ok, we have a benchmark for the best selling XBLA game. Now let's look at the best selling 360 game.
    The Xbox 360's biggest game to date also received a sales update, as Microsoft revealed that it had sold 8.1 million copies of Halo 3 since its September release.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6184291.html

That game also has a lot more to it than NBA Jam. Kind of makes both comparisons pointless, doesn't it? Except to say that the sales potential on disc is far higher.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    NBA Jam is about 4,000 times closer to Battlefield 1943 than it is Halo.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Battlefield BC2 sold 820k on the 360 alone in March at four times the price with a bigger percentage of the revenue going the the publisher. Then there's the fact that retail sales in December are MASSIVE. The 20th bestselling game can pull 350-400k on a single platform. It barely has to be noticed to pull better revenue than BF1943.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Not really sure what the BC2 comment is about, it is kinda irrelevant.

300k sales would be failure for a full price NBA Jam for sure.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010

The whole discussion is whether a game is more successful retail than on XBLA. Here we can directly compare two games in the same series and determine that a full retail release is often going to be much more successful.

Re: 300k being a failure - how much did it cost to develop? Without numbers, you can't tell us it would be a failure. It's probably already paid for itself in just Wii sales, but again, no numbers...

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

And yet it would have to be the best selling XBLA game ever by a significant margin to top that in revenue for the publisher. So how would that be a failure where a XBLA/PSN game that would pull in less money not be?

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    edited October 2010

The whole discussion is whether a game is more successful retail than on XBLA. Here we can directly compare two games in the same series and determine that a full retail release is often going to be much more successful.
    The production values for BC2 are about 4,000 times higher than BF1943. They aren't comparable.
    Re: 300k being a failure - how much did it cost to develop? Without numbers, you can't tell us it would be a failure. It's probably already paid for itself in just Wii sales, but again, no numbers...
    If they have to make it into a full release (that includes making it a fully featured game) then yeah, 300k would be a failure. Especially with the loss they've already taken on NBA Delete 11.
    And yet it would have to be the best selling XBLA game ever by a significant margin to top that in revenue for the publisher. So how would that be a failure where a XBLA/PSN game that would pull in less money not be?
    See above

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hmm I wish they would've done some secret underground hiphop artists that were a bit more...relevant.

They prob got in cause they are also doing the soundtrack for NBA elite.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This thread descends into madness every few pages.

This game has a decent amount of hype and a few commercials, it's going to do ok as a full release and almost certainly better then the $15 barebones version they would have released.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Quiet the game politics please. Focus on the fact that this game is finally in people's hands.

Blocking someone only to grab it mid-air and throw it down in your face is amazing.

The coaches are hilarious to see and playing Jam with players from this millenia just feels great.

Finally seeing dunks from the 3-point line makes me want to jump in a worm-hole travel through space and time and high five ten-year old me with sheer enthusiastic delight.

redraptor on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dunk anywhere code was the best code ever.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Evidence to support your claims that titles sell more on XBLA than they would at retail? Or even evidence that the difference is somehow negligible?

it's super convenient of you to ignore the price difference between a Live title and a $60 retail game, isn't it

or how August was the best month ever for XBLA

edit: lol let's compare sales of a fully featured Retail game to a live title and claim they are "in the same series"

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

it's super convenient of you to ignore the price difference between a Live title and a $60 retail game, isn't it

edit: lol let's compare sales of a fully featured Retail game to a live title and claim they are "in the same series"

Or the profit difference between the same titles.

But hey, that's fine, I understand you don't have any evidence backing your assertion and you'd rather not have to come out and say it.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Cursed thread is cursed. I'm out.

33lmird.gif

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It took Uno a year and change to break the 1 million barrier, and that was with the game being given away.

Fact: A game will currently and into the near future always have more potential sales as a retail title, no matter the price point as a budget release or 60$ one. Because not every console sold is hooked up to the internet AND has a credit card or points on it AND has people consistent purchasing games on it.

If ALG and Allforce wish to continue to debate this, start a new damn thread.

This thread is about NBA and Jamming and going downtown.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Don't you think you kinda invited the discussion with the passive aggressive titling of the thread when your predictions were wrong? Just sayin'.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Me slightly predicting one thing wrong doesn't let you be a troll, no. And the thread wasn't passive aggressively titled.

I'm working on an actual OP so bbl

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Or the profit difference between the same titles.

But hey, that's fine, I understand you don't have any evidence backing your assertion and you'd rather not have to come out and say it.

August was the best month ever for XBLA. Fact: an arcade title at a $20 pricepoint will be more appealing to a gamer than a game at a $60 pricepoint.

All you're doing is comparing apples to oranges; you've not really come up with any info besides some made up anecdotes about how nobody in rural Kansas has Internet.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    How about you guys stop this silly conversation and start talking about the game. The Wii game is getting awesome reviews, and I'm sure the XBLA version will too.

NBA Jam is back to form, baby! :D

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There's just no way this game is going to be a budget title, I would be very impressed with EA if they managed to do it though. I rented the wii version and it's pretty fun, I think there's more than enough unlockables and extra game modes to warrant the higher price tag, tagged on with all new HD gameplay and online modes I wouldn't put it past EA to sell it for 60. And I don't care what's coming out this holiday season it's NBA JAM it's going to sell, maybe not as well as a budget title, but it's going to sell.

That being said it's a pretty fun game, there's probably about 50 or more challenges that unlock various players and different balls/pre game powerups as well as a few teams. I'm currently going through campaign on medium and while I've only lost once it's getting increasingly difficult to stay on top. The extra game modes are pretty entertaining, I haven't played remix tour yet, which nets you a secret team, but smash board (i think it's called this) and domination and elimination are all fun. 21 looks like it'd be a fun 2 player game. My only gripes are you can't switch to your CPU partnet, which I'm pretty sure you could do in the original. This leads to him sometimes being a completely dumb ass and holding on to the ball too long/not trying to shake his defender or just not defending while on D. I'm not sure if they get smarter the higher difficulty but it's kind of lame losing your ON FIRE because your teammate is too dumb to jump up and block a shot.

Inkyblots on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Does Tim Kitzrow exuberantly scream "Welcome to NBA JAM!" at the beginning of this game?

Believe it or not this is pretty important to me.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just booted it up, he says "BOOM SHAKA LAKA!"

Inkyblots on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It would be really awesome (and easy) if they put in a create-a-player like NBA Showtime had.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    EA will probably save that for the sequel if Jam really takes off.

Also most of the OP is there.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Inkyblots wrote: »
    I just booted it up, he says "BOOM SHAKA LAKA!"
    Weak! :P I was hoping for the same thing, brynstar. Although in the SNES NBA Jam TE game he didn't say that at boot up, you had to start the game and get to the prompt for choosing to enter your intials. Maybe it comes later?! Seems like Inky would mention that, though... :(

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If I can't buy this game at a $20 price then I wont be purchasing it. The only reason to get this game is to play with your friends across the country over the internet. If you play this game solo then you're doing it wrong.

Veevee on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Veevee wrote: »
    If I can't buy this game at a $20 price then I wont be purchasing it. The only reason to get this game is to play with your friends [strike] across the country over the internet.[/strike] in the same room. If you play this game online then you're doing it wrong.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If I wanted to play in the same room I'd go to my buddies place who has a Jam Arcade unit.

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Veevee wrote: »
    If I wanted to play in the same room I'd go to my buddies place who has a Jam Arcade unit.

damn

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Don't know why you'd want this version if you have the arcade unit available to you, then..

FyreWulff on