As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kinect is $149.99 (£129.99 / €149.99), includes Kinect Adventures - thoughts?

123457»

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Steel Battalion 2: Flail your arms and legs to blow up enemy mechs!

forty on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Right now, my curiosity largely hinges on Steel Battalion and how well it plays in a smaller space.

I thought that basically the only selling point to Steel Battalion was the crazy huge controller. Why would someone play it with no controller at all?

Yeah, that's why I'm baffled they kept the Steel Batallion name for this. People who really liked the 47 hojillion buttons probably won't like no buttons.

In fairness, I never got to play the original, so I guess that aspect never quite set in with me.

Of course, I have no idea how this will work. If they can pull off some sort of "virtual control console" with it, I may be interested.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Kinect needs a sequel to R.A.D., not Steel Batallion...

Allforce on
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am hoping they use kinect for nothing but head tracking in steel battalion.

corin7 on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm sure Kinect could work well with some more traditional games. RPGs and strategy seem like perfect candidates, as far as genres go.

Can anyone think of anything else which might translate well?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I can't believe of all the games available and upcoming I'm waiting for Kinect Office (and Mass Effect 3).

Especially with the AR glasses they've been showing off recently.

Add a small USB projector that fits onto your smart phone, projecting a symbol so the computer knows to direct files towards it...
    Actually, the camera/pattern recongition aspect seems suprisingly underplayed, especially given Nintendo's statement saying that the people with Wiis just can't or don't realise they need to connect them to the internet. Stick patch A on wall, plug 'Kinector cam' into PC and let the systems sort themselves out.

Plus autosetting brightness settings for TVs that don't do that already (a feature to add for Kinect as an improvement to the Xbox as a DVD player), plus knowing where people are and adjusting settings to compensate for viewing angles.

Tastyfish on
  • Pete0rPete0r Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm hoping they use the multi hand tracking to finally improve on strategy or rpg interfaces. I imagine this to be a mixture of those multipoint touchpads and the minority report.

For [strike]Steel Batallion[/strike] a new Mech Warrior I would make the mechs have a 180 degree touchscreen hud inside the cockpit that you would use to select weapon racks, radar modes and stuff to give it a more immersive experience.

I hope oneday they could get head tracking like TrackIR onto the consoles as it has been the single greatest thing to happen to simulations since the joystick.

Pete0r on
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Or motioning to minions to then following your voice commands

Tastyfish on
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm sure Kinect could work well with some more traditional games. RPGs and strategy seem like perfect candidates, as far as genres go.

Can anyone think of anything else which might translate well?

Lemmings

Allforce on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Pete0r wrote: »
    I'm hoping they use the multi hand tracking to finally improve on strategy or rpg interfaces. I imagine this to be a mixture of those multipoint touchpads and the minority report.

For [strike]Steel Batallion[/strike] a new Mech Warrior I would make the mechs have a 180 degree touchscreen hud inside the cockpit that you would use to select weapon racks, radar modes and stuff to give it a more immersive experience.

I hope oneday they could get head tracking like TrackIR onto the consoles as it has been the single greatest thing to happen to simulations since the joystick.

No. Head tracking is just a neat gimmick, nothing more. It has no practical use. All it does is give you a sense of 3D when you move your head...except we attempt to play every game with our heads as motionless as possible!

How is a 180 degree HUD supposed to work? You turn your head so you can see the controls to the left, except now you're no longer facing the screen. Or supposing you play standing up and stepping from side to side counts as looking at other parts of the HUD...first, who would use a real interface like that rather than standing still, and second, how is that faster or more efficient than just accessing that side of the interface with a short joystick motion?

Head tracking is only useful with an actual head mounted display, like old school VR. It is of no use to a console hooked up to a TV besides as a nifty-looking effect for about 5 minutes.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think using a pad with analogue sticks to fully control viewpoint, traditionally, and then using Kinect to add an extra element of camera control on top of that would be pretty cool.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Or even hold one arm up and wave it back and forth to control your view from left to right, and use your other arm to push certain buttons. This is more likely with Kinect because they have been adamantly against using a controller in conjunction with it.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • PacifistPacifist Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

No. Head tracking is just a neat gimmick, nothing more. It has no practical use. All it does is give you a sense of 3D when you move your head...except we attempt to play every game with our heads as motionless as possible!

How is a 180 degree HUD supposed to work? You turn your head so you can see the controls to the left, except now you're no longer facing the screen. Or supposing you play standing up and stepping from side to side counts as looking at other parts of the HUD...first, who would use a real interface like that rather than standing still, and second, how is that faster or more efficient than just accessing that side of the interface with a short joystick motion?

Head tracking is only useful with an actual head mounted display, like old school VR. It is of no use to a console hooked up to a TV besides as a nifty-looking effect for about 5 minutes.

Man, I feel bad for all those people who have tricked themselves into enjoying the TrackIR now knowing that it doesn't work.

You only need to slightly move your head to the left or right to use headtracking. Whether Kinect can read such a small movement is a completely different argument but don't immediately write off a feature without understanding how it works.

As for practical uses FPS's have been mentioned but also racing games to look into the apex of a corner and quickly check your blind spots.

Pacifist on
    XBL: Pacifist NJ
    edited October 2010
    Or even hold one arm up and wave it back and forth to control your view from left to right, and use your other arm to push certain buttons. This is more likely with Kinect because they have been adamantly against using a controller in conjunction with it.

They have?

None of the launch games use it, as far as I know, but I've read / watched several interviews where multiple developers and MS people have said that using Kinect in conjunction with a pad is something they want to move onto down the road.

You are correct that for the initial wave of titles thay want to focus on the 'you are the controller' idea, but I've not seen anything to say anyone is 'adamantly against using a controller in conjunction with it.'

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

They have?

None of the launch games use it, as far as I know, but I've read / watched several interviews where multiple developers and MS people have said that using Kinect in conjunction with a pad is something they want to move onto down the road.

You are correct that for the initial wave of titles thay want to focus on the 'you are the controller' idea, but I've not seen anything to say anyone is 'adamantly against using a controller in conjunction with it.'

I think that the talk of using the controllers with kinect was used after the initial backlash from 'core' gamers on the device. Before that Microsoft were very adamant on having kinect as a sole device.

Its the initial evolutionary step for Microsoft to go with the device though I just personally think that including it will reduce kinect to a whole gimmicky compliment to existing games for example "kinect compatible- to navigate menus".

Ziggymon on
    edited October 2010
    Pacifist wrote: »

Man, I feel bad for all those people who have tricked themselves into enjoying the TrackIR now knowing that it doesn't work.

You only need to slightly move your head to the left or right to use headtracking. Whether Kinect can read such a small movement is a completely different argument but don't immediately write off a feature without understanding how it works.

As for practical uses FPS's have been mentioned but also racing games to look into the apex of a corner and quickly check your blind spots.

Kinect can't read such a small movement.

And how are you supposed to disconnect it from yourself briefly if you want to "pause" your FOV on a certain location? With head tracking on the PC I'd imagine there's a toggle button. How can you do that conveniently with no buttons?

I guess you could yell "HEAD TRACKING OFF" and hope the voice recognition works.

UncleSporky on
    edited October 2010
    Kinect can't read such a small movement.

You know this for a fact? The Kinect can zoom in on a specific area and I've seen some pretty slight movements register without issue.
    And how are you supposed to disconnect it from yourself briefly if you want to "pause" your FOV on a certain location? With head tracking on the PC I'd imagine there's a toggle button. How can you do that conveniently with no buttons?

I guess you could yell "HEAD TRACKING OFF" and hope the voice recognition works.

Well we know that the Kinect can work in conjunction with a controller, so there's that. But there's also the possibility that you would just keep your head slightly tilted. So long as you're not breaking eyesight it shouldn't be a problem.

Or maybe even a simple hand movement would be recognized as "freeze view".

I see options and I'd much rather they spend the time looking into the possibilities of head tracking instead of going "whelp it won't work" right off the bat.

Pacifist on
    edited October 2010
    Pacifist wrote: »
    I see options and I'd much rather they spend the time looking into the possibilities of head tracking instead of going "whelp it won't work" right off the bat.

Whereas I'd much rather they spend the time making quality games than investing a lot of time in something that most people don't care about and indeed is not doable with the technology they have to work with.

Somehow I think my scenario is far more likely to happen.

UncleSporky on
    edited October 2010
    I won't argue with that as we have no information on how developer's time is divied up between the different techs, but I will say that Turn 10 already has working head tracking built into Forza 3 and plenty of people would love to have the feature available.

Pacifist on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I have to say, TrackIR works brilliantly in its function. Unless you can't move your eyeballs more than one degree in any direction. Probably why it's made it in version 5 in what is an increasingly small genre (strict simulations). Though whether Kinect can reproduce that at such a distance is difficult to say (nor do I think you'd see it immediately if you could).

Synthesis on
    edited October 2010
    Doesn't the bowling game in Kinect Sports use some form of head tracking?

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Doesn't the bowling game in Kinect Sports use some form of head tracking?

pretty sure it only tracks your balls

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited October 2010
    hahaha!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg