As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DEAD THREAD] Caves of Phalla

• GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You definitely made the right call, Inquisitor. Any other decision would have hamstrung either your effectiveness as a player, your roomie's effectiveness as a special, or your relationship with your roommate. Nothing else you could have done.
    Snacks posted it in the main thread after he died (WTF, by the way?)

Yeah, that was a bit of a headscratcher for me, too.

GrimmyTOA on
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    How does frandelgearslip know what snacks power was, unless he's reading this thread?

I don't rememeber snacks stating his power in the main thread, unless it got spread out through PMs.

I dont know man, Dead threads seem like such a liability.

Nah, Snacks posted it in the main thread after he died (WTF, by the way?)

That's a pretty shit move right there.

Squashua on
  • Abraham F. HawkAbraham F. Hawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Gnasty wrote: »
    Well,

damn it.

What killed me? Stupid blue text.

You must have given off a Gnome-ish vibe, because the vigilante decided to stab you to death.

Well, damn. Stupid me, wasting precious time...

Oh, well.

This thread will soon be cooler than the main thread anyway.

We are the beginning of the party.

Abraham F. Hawk on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SnacksOnAPlaneSnacksOnAPlane Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Snacks wasn't really thinking when he posted that in the main thread, and by now he thinks it's a moot point to edit the post. He assures you it won't happen again.

>_o

SnacksOnAPlane on
    ~ * P R E S T I D I G I T A T I O N * ~
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Honestly, I can't find myself getting too upset over you posting your role PM for this specific phalla after you died because christ, the things crawled to a stop.

Maybe it's just a mother's day weekend induced lag but the poor things barely moving. Bummer too, I really liked it and would have alot to say right now if I was still alive.

Inquisitor on
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well Gnasty basically suspended the game for 2 days, I imagine it will pick back up now.

Last Son on
    edited May 2007
    Well the thread is back in action now.

Either the gnomes are being really ballsy or people just aren't paying attention.

Last Son on
    edited May 2007
    Or both. I guess we'll see in a couple of hours.

GrimmyTOA on
    edited May 2007
    Mm, things are starting to get more interesting now. :D

Inquisitor on
    edited May 2007
    I'm starting to lean toward my "People just aren't paying attention" theory.

Last Son on
    edited May 2007
    Mind PMing me as to why people just aren't paying attention?

This is my first real phalla (and I really didnt even get to do anything) so I'd love to gain some insight on how this whole thing works.

Inquisitor on
  • PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Cantide wrote: »
    The wraith thing is just too strange. Even if he's telling the truth about it, he may decide to pull a PsychoLarry1 and help the bad guys.

Fix'd.
    MAN I just can't live that one down.

PsychoLarry1 on
    edited May 2007
    Heh. It was kind of legendary. And it taught me a valuable lesson about network maintenance -- don't ignore the network. So a learning experience, in a sense.

GrimmyTOA on
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Man, so I try to deflect the vote off of Snacks, but it fails. Then I try to kill off Adrien, and it doesn't fail nearly as much. And then I don't even get my own sentence in the narration...

Frosteey on
    edited May 2007
    Damn you tehspectre!!! Curse you for your heart-ripping ways.

Also, I think I'll revise my theory to "The bad-guys are being ballsy because most people aren't really paying attention."

Last Son on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ardor is acting really fishy. How can he still be denying TehSpectre's claims?

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited May 2007
    You didn't get your own sentence, Frosteey? Brutal. I'd make a ghostly complaint -- threaten to come back as another wraith if you aren't properly memorialized.

I'm not sure what's up in the thread right now. I was pretty sure I knew.... but not any more. It depends how many more races there are, I guess.

GrimmyTOA on
    edited May 2007
    Hurry up and die, stupid survivors!

Especially that mean vigilante!

I am bitter now.

Abraham F. Hawk on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited May 2007
    Frosteey died for the greater good! Achmbaha fdublaah bundari kamatoba gnomeran!

Unknown User on
    edited May 2007
    I love how you actually had a Garden Gnome avatar. Why didn't you die on night one just for that? :P

GrimmyTOA on
    edited May 2007
    i didnt use the avatar until after i died :)

i was using a deer hunter as my avatar and this picture:
    gnomelq8.jpg

Unknown User on
    edited May 2007
    Ah, that explains it. I was kind of slapping my forehead there for a bit.

GrimmyTOA on
    edited May 2007
    So, am I the only one who kind of wants to see the Dragon Monster Skeleton Thing, or whatever it's called?

I mean, besides the cultists.

I think the narrative would be kind of fun.

Abraham F. Hawk on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What the hell gnomes? What did I ever do to you?

Locus on
  • AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hey, I was killed twice!

Shoulda voted for myself and gone for the hat trick.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
    edited May 2007
    So, am I the only one who kind of wants to see the Dragon Monster Skeleton Thing, or whatever it's called?

I would. I mean, purely from an academic... standpoint. Yeah. That'll do. 8-)

GrimmyTOA on
    edited May 2007
    Man, people seem to be being really dumb about the whole tehspectre guy.

It's not like he meant to kill a special that day. It's not like he forced specials to vote to kill him. His power randomly offs 1 person who voted to kill him if the vote won, just happened to be a special. That's if he's believable.

But I mean what, so far he's killed 2 gnomes, thats not shabby.

Inquisitor on
  • GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Frosteey wrote: »
    Man, so I try to deflect the vote off of Snacks, but it fails. Then I try to kill off Adrien, and it doesn't fail nearly as much. And then I don't even get my own sentence in the narration...

Sorry Frosteey, TehSpectre kinda stole the spotlight that round.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
    edited May 2007
    It's possible the phalla hype is dying down as well, probably a combination of many things. I just hope it isn't due to the D&D game giving off a not-so-exciting vibe.

No offense to the guy who is running that, but that beast looks quite immense and fairly dull.

And slow.

Not to mention that Les Mis is just... man. Maybe if the theme of the dull and slow mechanic Phalla wasn't also, itself, dull and slow.

Don't get me wrong; It's very pretty, the writing is quite eloquent, and the mechanics are fairly complex and ambitious, but to an outside observer, it's grinding.

Squashua on
    edited May 2007
    It's well written, to be sure, but there were some issues early on with absenteeism and then FencingSax got sick and couldn't post for a day or so... and there have been a couple of mechanical issues... and a pre-game messup that required an immediate reboot. Plus it's a deliberately paced game (FS doesn't like first day kills, I don't think). Plus (and perhaps most importantly) a bunch of the bad guys self-outed in the first three days (around six of them, I think) so there hasn't been much to talk or think about.

The upshot is that it has never really had the chance to get off the ground.

I was actually looking forward to Caves a lot more than Mis. Pity I got gnome-naded on the first day.

Ah well.

GrimmyTOA on
    edited May 2007
    I really hope that the gnome avatar concept on the main thread wasn't taken directly from the gnome avatar discussion on this thread. I only question this because of the timing, and I'd hate for someone to get bandwagoned for 1. something gathered from a place you shouldnt be reading or 2. something as stupid as an avatar.

Hell, I know alot of people who make it a point to change their avatars/sigs for the game.

Unknown User on
    edited May 2007
    I hope so too. It does seem a bit suspicious, timing-wise. Of course, if no suspects had come to light, (and I had lived) I was planning to bandwagon Devoutly Apathetic to death for his gnome avatar. Of course, that would have fallen about equidistant between suspicion, playfulness, and wanting to kill the good players off ASAP. :P

GrimmyTOA on
  • GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think I enjoy running Phallas more than I enjoy playing them.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
    edited May 2007
    Gnasty wrote: »
    I think I enjoy running Phallas more than I enjoy playing them.

Well that's good. Maybe I'll get to play in one of your phallas someday, still bummed I missed this one. But I got to watch and cheer on over my roomie's shoulder at the very least.

Inquisitor on
    edited May 2007
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »
    It's well written, to be sure, but there were some issues early on with absenteeism and then FencingSax got sick and couldn't post for a day or so... and there have been a couple of mechanical issues... and a pre-game messup that required an immediate reboot. Plus it's a deliberately paced game (FS doesn't like first day kills, I don't think). Plus (and perhaps most importantly) a bunch of the bad guys self-outed in the first three days (around six of them, I think) so there hasn't been much to talk or think about.

The upshot is that it has never really had the chance to get off the ground.

I was actually looking forward to Caves a lot more than Mis. Pity I got gnome-naded on the first day.

Ah well.

I may have a fix for this with PhalLost.

Squashua on
  • PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Squashua wrote: »
    I may have a fix for this with PhalLost.
    I call Sayid

PsychoLarry1 on
  • frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    To let you in on the elves, they are a simple mason group and nothing else.

edit: Ardor and fucking deals....

edit2:
    It's possible the phalla hype is dying down as well, probably a combination of many things. I just hope it isn't due to the D&D game giving off a not-so-exciting vibe.

No offense to the guy who is running that, but that beast looks quite immense and fairly dull.

And slow.

Not to mention that Les Mis is just... man. Maybe if the theme of the dull and slow mechanic Phalla wasn't also, itself, dull and slow.

Don't get me wrong; It's very pretty, the writing is quite eloquent, and the mechanics are fairly complex and ambitious, but to an outside observer, it's grinding.

To an inside observor it was worse. I seriously would have quit that thing days ago, but I had a partner and I felt I owed it to my partner to stay in that thing.

frandelgearslip on
    edited May 2007
    To let you in on the elves, [size=+3]DELETE THAT SHIT[/size]

Christ, how many times do we have to say, DON'T FUCKING REVEAL SHIT IN THE DEAD THREAD before people start listening?

Squashua on
  • frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    To let you in on the elves, [size=+3]DELETE THAT SHIT[/size]

Christ, how many times do we have to say, DON'T FUCKING REVEAL SHIT IN THE DEAD THREAD before people start listening?
    Nah, Snacks posted it in the main thread after he died (WTF, by the way?)

So long as no one posts the name + role of a living player, I don't think there will be any issues.

I was going by that description right there. I have not given any identities of any living players away.

edit: far worse things have been revealed in the dead thread before.

frandelgearslip on
    edited May 2007
    Heh, I just realized that certain people are lying their asses off amongst the living, and it likely means that the village is fucked.

Also, Darn you Gnasty! I can't tell you why, so just trust me that you deserve it.

Last Son on