As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sid Meier's Civilization V: future tech lets you make new threads

EgoEgo Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
24zcd1y.jpg

Just one more turn...

New to Civ 5 or Civ in general? Watch Giantbomb's almost hour long quicklook at get a good idea of the game

REVIEWS
Joystiq wrote:
For a game so very, very large, it delivers everything in an easy to understand package no matter what route you take to playing it. The core Civilization experience is still there, but it's like an efficiency expert came in and streamlined everything that had gotten clunky with the series. It's a "friendly" strategy game.
My favorite Civilization to date. Hex tiles and no stacking makes combat fun and more tactical. The new systems work incredibly well without altering what makes the game Civilization. Civ V is an excellent game.
Improvements to the user interface and AI at all levels result in it being more approachable for newcomers without losing any of the strategic depth that long-time fans crave. It vastly improves combat, making the micro-level gameplay both more complex and entertaining. It trims all the fat, leaving only decision-making, strategic planning, and the sheer joy of crushing your enemies. Civ V is the pinnacle of the franchise to date.
Civilization V is a brilliant expression of the turn-based strategy game by the undisputed masters of the form. It's a great entry point for newcomers, and veterans will delight in all the wrinkles and refinements.
Wired wrote:
In a sea of shooters with pounding soundtracks and frenetic gameplay, Civilization V is one of the few games to challenge players' minds - to have them sit back and analyze situations methodically. If Halo: Reach is heaven on earth for twitch-gamers everywhere, then Civilization V is the thinking man's paradise.

Sid Meier's Civilization V (also known as Civilization 5) is a turn-based strategy computer game developed by Firaxis and released on Microsoft Windows in September 2010. It is the latest game in the Civilization series.

In Civilization V, the player leads a civilization from prehistoric times into the future on a randomly-generated map, achieving one of a number of different victory conditions through research, diplomacy, expansion, economic development, government and military conquest. The game is based on an entirely new game engine with hexagonal tiles instead of the square tiles of earlier games in the series. Many elements from Civilization IV and its expansion packs have been removed or changed, such as religion and espionage. The combat system has been overhauled, removing stacking of military units and enabling cities to defend themselves by firing directly on nearby enemies. In addition, the maps contain computer-controlled city-states as non-player characters that are available for trade, diplomacy and conquest. A civilization's borders also expand more realistically, favoring more productive terrain, and the concept of roads has changed.

The game features community, modding and multiplayer elements.

This is a STEAM POWERED game, no matter where you buy it it will have to be linked to your Steam account.

The DEMO maybe be found here.

You can peruse the GAME MANUAL here, if you are so inclined. Can be printed for easy toilet reading!
Minimum Requirements

Operating System: Windows® XP SP3/ Windows® Vista SP2/ Windows® 7
Processor: Dual Core CPU
Memory: 2GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 8 GB Free
Video: 256 MB ATI HD2600 XT or better, 256 MB nVidia 7900 GS or better, or Core i3 or better integrated graphics
Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
DirectX®: DirectX® version 9.0c

Recommended Requirements

Operating System: Windows® Vista SP2/ Windows® 7
Processor: 1.8 GHz Quad Core CPU
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 8 GB Free
Video: 512 MB ATI 4800 series or better, 512 MB nVidia 9800 series or better
Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
DirectX®: DirectX® version 11
DLC wrote:
Additional civilizations, maps, and scenarios will be released in DLC packs. The DLC pack "Double Civilization and Scenario Pack" is tenatively scheduled or a late 2010 release.

Other likely DLC packs (not confirmed yet) include:

* Babylonia civilization
* Map Pack: Cradle of Civilization: Asia
* Map Pack: Cradle of Civilization: Americas
* Map Pack: Cradle of Civilization: Mesopotamia
* Map Pack: Cradle of Civilization: Mediterranean

2rwm2i0.png

The intro movies are a disguised load screen. You can skip them once the game finishes loading!

Erik
Ego on

• JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    YOU'LL PAY FOR THIS IN TIME

Jintor on
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    All the reviews are wrong. This game is broken badly from a balance perspective and design perspective.

mrt144 on
  • ShrieveShrieve Game Designer CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    General consensus is wrong. This game is not fun from a stick in the mud perspective or damn you kids messing with my civilization 4 perspective.

(Although I do agree that it needs some work)

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Last Thread:
    Skeith wrote: »
    You can just turn mods on and off, right? Or is it like with a TES game, where if you use the mod and it affects gameplay you start getting weird bugs on saves after you disable it?
    Kinda. If you look in the mod description while under 'Installed,' there should be 'Affects Saved Games' thing.

No means you can just turn them on and off, Yes means you'll have to start a new game.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • EggPuppetEggPuppet Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This game has so many bugs you're basically buying your own pet cockroach, but some of the design changes from 4->5 are really, really great.

EggPuppet on
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    From last thread:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=388983
    People emigrate from unhappy empires to happy ones and to city-states as well.

* The more happy empire is, the more emigrants it receives.
    * Maximum number of citizens that can leave a country per turn equals to 50% of unhappiness. on average it is 25%.
    * People can not to emigrate to a country which is currently at war with their homeland.
    * Notification icon appears signalizing about emigration (or immigration) has happened. Clicking icon shows a subject city.

Pretty neat mod concept.

I'd note it is ridiculously easy to make very polished-looking mods with the provided mod tools, and it all uses standard lua scripting. Firaxis did a very good job on the modding side of things for this game.

Suriko on
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Gonna combine that mod with this one, I think:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=385737

... After I finish my current game.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, with the hype this game was getting around release, I suddenly found myself interested in the Civilization series. I've never played one before but starting a civilization from scratch, building Wonders, keeping citizens happy, all this does sound really rad. However, my dilemma is this: where do I start? Civ 5 seemed perfect when it came out, but now that the euphoria around the release has settled, it seems less so.

Mainly, what attracts me most is the idea of roleplaying as a peaceful, utopian civilization or at least striving towards it. I'm sure I'd be tempted to play as a world-conquering British empire kind of thing occasionally, but let's say that's not where my primary interests lie. Now, most people are saying that doing the former is significantly harder in Civ 5 than in previous games. Moreover, the AI now plays to win, rather than simply exist. As in, it's designed as a board game, which seems like the kind of fundamental design choice that feeds into the latter kind of play.

Speaking of the AI, it apparently sucks ass. But people on other forums are saying that Civ 4's AI was even worse on day one and that traditionally, Firaxis makes significant improvements to its AI through patches and that every Civ sees the kind of backlash on release that Civ 5 is seeing. How many patches and how much time did Civ 4 take to get the point where it was recognized as the classic it's considered today? Should I wait for the same for Civ 5?

Should I even get Civ 5? I read a post here that said that Civ 4 was the absolute peak of the previous generation of Civ and that Civ 5 is taking the franchise in a new direction because 4 simply can't be topped. And then Alec Meer said
    Yeah, this’ll ultimately be remembered as one of the filler tracks on Civ’s best-of LP, one of the ones you never quite felt had real heart, real soul – but it’s a tune I’m more than happy to hum.
    So, what, buy Civ 4 now and wait two years to see what the ultimate verdict on Civ 5 is? I know people don't consider Civ 3 to be any good but even that has a 90 on metacritic. Maybe Civ 5 will be considered the same way down the line?

Right now, I'm thinking I should play Civ 4 'cause it's one of those significant great games that are part of the canon and all that jazz. Or is it the kind of situation where hexes are definitively superior to squares and Civ 5 is just flat-out better, so I shouldn't be bothered with Civ 4 now that 5 is out.

Plus, I read that Civ 5 runs like shit even on the most kick-ass computers. More incentive to wait. Anyhoo, these are just basic impressions that I've picked up from reading internet talk. You, Civ veteran, tell me what to do. Lay my doubts to rest.

Bleh.

Muddy Water on
    edited October 2010
    The problem is that Civ 5 seems to be pretty divisive. I like it, but feel like there are some bad oversights that show at best poor judgement in the game design stage, and at worst 2K whipping Firaxis for a tight release schedule and/or DLC. Some just hate it, and that is fine (and I won't just ascribe it to being a stick in the mud).

Ultimately, Civ 4 is very cheap nowadays and it is a great game. Civ 5 is also a great game, and it's hard to go back after some of the improvements Civ 5 made. I'd personally suggest grabbing Civ 4 and waiting for Civ 5 to get patched/get an expansion, but it's an extremely subjective thing.

Suriko on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    EggPuppet wrote: »
    This game has so many bugs you're basically buying your own pet cockroach, but some of the design changes from 4->5 are really, really great.

Its really not that bad. I personally know a bunch of people who bought the game (probably 10 or so people at work) and none of them have been struck by the bugginess that people have talked about.

I had few small bugs happen to me in one game and it hasn't repeated since.

Wassermelone on
  • noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Game has only crashed once for me, out of over 20 games.

Maybe I'm lucky?

noobert on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    Is the Harbor bugged? I have one in both my capital and another city by the coast, but it refuses to hook up to the trade routes.

Echo on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    In my two games I haven't really encountered much bugginess. I think the default AI/city governor does not prioritize hammers nearly enough in a game without really enough of them to begin with, but that might be me playing on epic speed habitually?

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited October 2010
    I have three units bombarding a city.

Only the first unit in a turn actually does any damage.

Echo on
  • Mattitude87Mattitude87 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Echo wrote: »

Whats the strength of the bombardiers, and what is the strength of the city?

Mattitude87 on
    League of Legends: Mattagascar
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wow, archipelago maps are way more fun to play with the embarkation system and what not.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, they used to be a map of relative safety from war mongering. Not so much anymore.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited October 2010

I'm already way past razing that city, but it was three crossbowmen and a trireme. It was only ever whoever attacked first that did damage no matter which order I tried to attack in.

Echo on
  • KhaczorKhaczor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man japanese bushido does terrible terrible damage.

Khaczor on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Every Civ game is trashed horribly on release by fans of the previous games. A lot of this is because they're comparing a new game with one that's had years of patches and expansion packs.

That said, I've liked all the Civ games. Though they do seem to be getting consistently prettier, which I also like.

Captain Carrot on
  • stfuadstfuad Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    IS there any way to launch the DX10/11 version of the game without the loader popping up?

stfuad on
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just a tip for Civ 5 players - after upgrading my memory from 2GB to the recommended 4GB, the game has become a lot more playable - before, the DX11 version barely ran. I'd assumed it was my graphics card, but after installing the extra 2GB it runs as smoothly as the DX9 version.

It chugs a little in the end game on larger maps, and I'm planning to add another 2GB, see how it affects the end game.

M-Vickers on
  • GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I'm already way past razing that city, but it was three crossbowmen and a trireme. It was only ever whoever attacked first that did damage no matter which order I tried to attack in.

does the city actually have any health left? . any ranged units attacking a city with no health are wasting their time.

GaryO on
  • Mattitude87Mattitude87 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    GaryO wrote: »

does the city actually have any health left? . any ranged units attacking a city with no health are wasting their time.

Yep, only melee units can capture cities. Cities won't be like "omg no more arrows in my head plz" and succumb. They need a sword to the throat.

Also, this fuggin game crashes so much in windows 7. Playing DX 10/11 mode. Wonder if that matters. Either way, glitchy fuggin game.

Mattitude87 on
    League of Legends: Mattagascar
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've had it crash on me a few times, but only right after I save or when I'm trying to load so it's not a huge problem.

And Water, Civ V is very different from all the other Civs, so it might be regarded as a stepping stone in the future but definitely not a filler.

Cervetus on
    edited October 2010

Oooooh. Yeah, these were all ranged. :P

Echo on
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

This is probably a bug, because the AI seems unable to do it, but if you order your ranged units to move onto the enemy city, they'll attack it like they were a melee unit and possibly take it.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
    edited October 2010
    Jephery wrote: »

This is probably a bug, because the AI seems unable to do it, but if you order your ranged units to move onto the enemy city, they'll attack it like they were a melee unit and possibly take it.

I've never had a ranged unit take a city before, believe me I've tried. Anytime you use the move command with a ranged unit against a city it will just attack. If your 2 tiles away it will move the 1 and attack if it can.

Does the auto pan piss anyone else off? I found a mod to remove it, but it disables unit cycling.
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9736239&postcount=25

stfuad on
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, the automatic zooming on random stuff gets on my nerves at times, especially when I have stuff I want to do with one unit but it then zooms to something random on the other side of the continent.

Echo on
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am determinedly waiting for a next major patch, which I suspect (optimistically) will do quite a lot of the things the mods are doing.

(I confess that I am tempted to play IV in the meanwhile, though...)

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm sure there's something in Options to turn off the zooming?

I'll have to check again to be sure.

Euphoriac on
  • chipmanchipman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It would be nice if one of the alerts down the side was simply "Unit(s) need orders" and we could click that instead of being taken on a roller-coaster ride around the empire.

chipman on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2010
    chipman wrote: »
    It would be nice if one of the alerts down the side was simply "Unit(s) need orders" and we could click that instead of being taken on a roller-coaster ride around the empire.

I don't understand how that would help. isn't it the same thing except you added an (s) in there.

I've also looked into the config files there is no auto-pan option in config.ini or userconfig.ini.

The before mentioned mod works out nicely. since the "unit need orders" message is still in place you can't accidentally not move a unit. and you can hit the wait key to cycle the next unit. It would be nice if there were a hot key for the military quick list.

stfuad on
  • mindtweakmindtweak Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've had the game crash once in dx9 mode while checking the performance differences. That was the one and only time I tried in the mode and it took 30 seconds to crash.

The rest of the time I've played in dx10/11 and not one crash running win7.

The game is pretty sluggish but I'm hoping going from 2gb to 4gb ram will fix that up as it seems like my hard drive is going crazy on a pagefile causing the slowdowns.

mindtweak on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    We were taking the other thread to Mars

How could you do this :x

tofu on
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    tofu wrote: »
    We were taking the other thread to [strike]Mars[/strike] Alpha Centuri

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is there a Mod out at the moment to group a Great General with a Unit? I hate having to move them seperately >_>.

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, with the hype this game was getting around release, I suddenly found myself interested in the Civilization series. I've never played one before but starting a civilization from scratch, building Wonders, keeping citizens happy, all this does sound really rad. However, my dilemma is this: where do I start? Civ 5 seemed perfect when it came out, but now that the euphoria around the release has settled, it seems less so.

Mainly, what attracts me most is the idea of roleplaying as a peaceful, utopian civilization or at least striving towards it. I'm sure I'd be tempted to play as a world-conquering British empire kind of thing occasionally, but let's say that's not where my primary interests lie. Now, most people are saying that doing the former is significantly harder in Civ 5 than in previous games. Moreover, the AI now plays to win, rather than simply exist. As in, it's designed as a board game, which seems like the kind of fundamental design choice that feeds into the latter kind of play.

Speaking of the AI, it apparently sucks ass. But people on other forums are saying that Civ 4's AI was even worse on day one and that traditionally, Firaxis makes significant improvements to its AI through patches and that every Civ sees the kind of backlash on release that Civ 5 is seeing. How many patches and how much time did Civ 4 take to get the point where it was recognized as the classic it's considered today? Should I wait for the same for Civ 5?

Should I even get Civ 5? I read a post here that said that Civ 4 was the absolute peak of the previous generation of Civ and that Civ 5 is taking the franchise in a new direction because 4 simply can't be topped. And then Alec Meer said
    Yeah, this’ll ultimately be remembered as one of the filler tracks on Civ’s best-of LP, one of the ones you never quite felt had real heart, real soul – but it’s a tune I’m more than happy to hum.
    So, what, buy Civ 4 now and wait two years to see what the ultimate verdict on Civ 5 is? I know people don't consider Civ 3 to be any good but even that has a 90 on metacritic. Maybe Civ 5 will be considered the same way down the line?

Right now, I'm thinking I should play Civ 4 'cause it's one of those significant great games that are part of the canon and all that jazz. Or is it the kind of situation where hexes are definitively superior to squares and Civ 5 is just flat-out better, so I shouldn't be bothered with Civ 4 now that 5 is out.

Plus, I read that Civ 5 runs like shit even on the most kick-ass computers. More incentive to wait. Anyhoo, these are just basic impressions that I've picked up from reading internet talk. You, Civ veteran, tell me what to do. Lay my doubts to rest.

Bleh.
    Gameplay (concepts) = excellent
    Can be cheesed if you know how to = bad, but if you don't try to figure out what the cheese is/read up on it you won't know
    Combat AI = bad
    Diplomacy AI = bad-ish but better than people make it sound
    Engine stability = very bad, I crash regularly, or display goes all wonky requiring a restart of game to fix. Top of the line 2009 computer. Game crashed my display adapter last night.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2010
    The diplomacy AI is only not incredibly bad because there are so few diplomatic options. It's a shame, though with some of the ideas floating around the modding forums, it's possible fans will be able to mod this.

Suriko on
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

If the city is damanged low enough it won't take any further damage, you have to send in a "melee" unit to take it.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.