As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXI] THE INTRO on PC question.

DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in MMO Extravaganza
I still have my original POL account I registered from the PS2 version of FFXI...

since then, I'm pretty sure I've been able to use that one account to login or play with both PS2 and PC versions.

However, the 360 version talks about linking the gamertag to the POL account, and something along the lines of, well, you can't get to your POL ever again without this gamertag attached to it.

Does that mean I couldn't access that POL account from the PC or PS2 again after 360 linking (since gamertags aren't on those platforms)? Or does it merely mean WHEN accessing from a 360, that gamertag must also be a part of the equation

Has anybody played with the same account between a 360 and PC and/or PS2?

Deusfaux on

• Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Linking your POL account to your gamertag just means you need to be signed in on that gamertag to play on your account with the 360 version

I've got a friend who switches between 360, PS2 and PC versions depending on what platforms are occupied at his place at the moment so I've seen it done

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    ok I would figure that's what they meant -but the language was so strong it suggested must be logged into gamertag (and thus 360 only) to ever play
    again.

just to be clear - he's switching with the same POL account each time, right

****update**** I've read some people saying something about using Guest Login? (I do see it on the PlayOnline menu) What's that for and should I be using it on one platform vs another?

LASTLY - how do you activate the intro FMV again on any version once you've seen it the one time?

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Guest login is for if you are logging into FFXI from someone else's machine.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    linked em, and was still able to get into POL from PC after....

however, my mail is asking for a password, and I don't exactly remember having to input one (or even setting one) before.

all passwords attempted don't work, including POL password

did something change at some point?

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    No, nothing changed. It is a separate password for your POL mail. If you never set one it is still unset.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    then I must have set one, cuz leaving it blank helps me naught.

I suppose it's SE support time now?

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    As for the intro, there should be a check box in the external config program.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    then I must have set one, cuz leaving it blank helps me naught.

I suppose it's SOE support time now?

Yeah there are two passwords to log into POL. One is your master account and one is your POL login. It's pretty silly and is just an artifact from when POL was going to be more integrated into SE games than they ever ended up being.

Also, don't call SOE, they don't have anything to do with FFXI. :P

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited October 2010
    I think you glazed over the posts here. My issue is with my POL MAIL login. POL login (in all the various components) is good for me.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    As for the intro, there should be a check box in the external config program.

But then running the program just boots playonline... where I can't do much since I don't have a content ID attached..

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Did you account ever get hijacked at any point?

That's all I can think of because there didn't used to be a password on the mail system; they added it later. If you're logging into the mail for the first time since never having one it should force you to put one in, not go ahead as if you already had one.

That's no help at all, I realize.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited October 2010
    See, the guy before you said there were no changes, now you're saying a POL Mail password was implemented after the fact (and after my 2004 account registration)...

Regardless... I need to contact their support, right? Email now or wait till Monday for a chat support

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah just call their support. You'll need your POL keys.

And I realize I could be wrong about the password thing but I'm fairly certain that I never had to bother with a password for the POL mail system, that was different than my account password, for a couple years after launch.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited October 2010
    i got an agent in chat to reset it

so onto the intro thing.

PS2 - you play the intro with some option with the original game's disc inserted - plays off the disc only i think

360 - only way is to go to install from playonline menu and start the process of installing FFXI - even if you have it installed. cancel install procedure right after intro

PC - how? content ID has to be attached first? FFXI has to be in the process of actually booting up?

lastly - was the intro ever re-worked a bit between PS2 release and 360? I feel like the voice acting was a little different on the 360... certainly it had to have been in a higher resolution than PS2. PC I'm not sure the rez or VA, cuz I cant get it to run

and anyone know of a site with a list of all FF FMVs?

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    For the PC if you have the box checked in the config program, once the game goes full screen after clicking play in the PlayOnline Viewer the intro will play. This is well after the point of logging in.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    yeah, I don't have the content ID for it on my POL account, so that's why I can't get any further.

For the record on that, when do the 30 free days start for XI? Maybe I should just add it now even if I'm not going to be playing right away.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    No, wait.

Even if you are willing to let your 30 days tick by while you are not playing, wait until the billing cycle hits so you can avoid the partial month wonkiness that everyone deals with.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    wait till... the end of the month?

and you're confirming that to see the intro on pc, I have to start my 30 days one way or another

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yes, on the PC you can't even load the game up through POL without an active content ID for FFXI. Hell, you can't even patch an already installed copy without it.

And the end of the month thing is due to their billing cycles. If you start your 30 days mid-month it dicks around with it since they bill monthly on the 28th instead of when you subscribed. What happens is you get billed a full month regardless of when you started your subscription the next month.

So if you start today, you'll be billed November 28th for a full month of november if you don't cancel before the end of your 30 days. Ultimately losing many of the "free" days.

It's really stupid and it's amazing they haven't been sued for it after all these years.

Though, the 11th is early enough in the month that personally I'd just say whatever.

The Dude With Herpes on