As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dungeon Siege 3 - Obsidian's action RPG (NSF 56k)

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    One slight annoyance is that they aren't letting you make your own character, which is a shame :(

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    One slight annoyance is that they aren't letting you make your own character, which is a shame :(

Doesn't bother me that much. Its Action focused so as long as they deliever a good story with the charachters and let me customize them in other ways (stats) I'm happy.

C2B on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    "There's a lot of enemies you can defeat in Dragon A... Dungeon Siege 3"

Oooh, Freudian slip there dude. :lol:

The game's looking really good. The more action based system is something I can get behind. Plus the fact that this one will actually have characters and a story.

subedii on
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Awesome!

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wow, that looks awfully polished and tight for an obsidian game. Sold. Maybe they just needed their own engine all along.

corin7 on
  • KingMooKingMoo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm not sure I like the coop action that this game provides.

looks like dungeon siege has gone this direction to appease console fans...

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    !!!!▓▓▓▓▓Gravy?▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!
    !!!!!!▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!!!!
    of doom
    edited October 2010
    KingMoo wrote: »

looks like dungeon siege has gone this direction to appease console fans...

Well, we now that you can drop-in drop-out of co-op. But we don't know anything else. And its still at a stage where much can change in that regard.

Edit: Maybe there is a different fuction when you play online?

C2B on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wow. That does look great. Not really an action hybrid in the way I was hoping, but it looks like it's probably the highest quality adaptation of a Diablo-style dungeon crawler for a controller around. Interested to see what the PC version is like.
    KingMoo wrote: »
    It's girlfriend coop, not coop coop. As in, think of single player in the previous games, but also with the option for someone to jump in with no real responsibility to continue playing or really do anything of value. If they're doing multiplayer, I'd imagine it'd work like multiplayer in the previous games.

Monger on
    edited October 2010
    I would actually like them to speed the gameplay up. It looks a little too slow at the moment.

C2B on
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Would like to see the PC version, but kudos to them for putting an ARPG on console since Sacred 2 is the only other one of note and that's now unsupported.

On PC, I may get it, but between Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3 it better be very good to get an audience there.

Venkman90 on
    edited October 2010
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    Would like to see the PC version, but kudos to them for putting an ARPG on console since Sacred 2 is the only other one of note and that's now unsupported.

On PC, I may get it, but between Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3 it better be very good to get an audience there.

Eh, Diablo 2 was way too grindy for me, and the community had too much of an obsession with "builds". I think that's what put me off the game. I'd be happy for a more action oriented game to be honest. You're that it'll need to be exceptional to get any attention away from Diablo 3 (or else just come out a significant amount of time before it).

Torchlight fills my other needs just fine. Plus it has a pet cat.

subedii on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So the quest guide is from Deadspace. The stances seem to be from The Witcher. Where have I seen the causeways? It was something console and relatively recent. Hmmm. Too Human? No.

Looks fun. I'll most likely pick it up when it comes out.

Edit! Darksiders. It was Darksiders.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    edited October 2010
    PoP '08 did the same quest guide. As well as Fable 2. And a lot of other games. Dystopia recently added it, actually. And the stances are more like the Demon's Souls stances than The Witcher's. Which, again, done by a lot of games that I can't recall off the top of my head.
    subedii wrote: »
    Torchlight fills my other needs just fine. Plus it has a pet blob of goo that wiggles at enemies in between summoning skeletons and launching fireballs.

Monger on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Would anyone be up for Dungeon Siege 2 co-op? I've seriously got this urge to re-install it and beat it this time.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • SannomSannom Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So the quest guide is from Deadspace. The stances seem to be from The Witcher.

I would wait a little bit before comparing the stances system to the one from The Witcher : the Guardian character (the Lucas from the video) has stances close to the ones of The Witcher, but other classes also use a stance system and those should be really different, It's hinted with the lady in the video : when directly controlled, she uses a staff and go to close combat, while she seems to in a ranged-combat stance when she is controlled by the computer.

Sannom on
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dashui wrote: »
    Would anyone be up for Dungeon Siege 2 co-op? I've seriously got this urge to re-install it and beat it this time.

It's not on steam is it? I would so re-play that game if it was (and NWN...)

Venkman90 on
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So the quest guide is from Deadspace. The stances seem to be from The Witcher. Where have I seen the causeways? It was something console and relatively recent. Hmmm. Too Human? No.

Looks fun. I'll most likely pick it up when it comes out.

Edit! Darksiders. It was Darksiders.
    Not sure about the visual style but the original Dungeon Siege had a "hub pocket dimension", well before Darksiders. In fact, restoring it to full functionality was the main quest of the Utraean Peninsula multiplayer world.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I remember that, it just seems visually to be quite close to what Darksiders had.

Same as the stances (as they were shown) seem to be similar to that of The Witcher.

Not saying that this is a bad thing, or that the ideas are stolen. Just what struck me when I saw it. Reading my post I can however see where I came off as snarky or dismissive. Sorry about that, not intended at all.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    edited October 2010
    Again the same presentation but from another time. There are 2-3 more details.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c-DMZGIPuQ&fmt=22

C2B on
    edited October 2010
    If you have questions to the presentation. Alvin Nelson (dude in the video) has promised to answer them as far as he can on the obs board.

http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?s=&showtopic=56264&view=findpost&p=1073174

C2B on
  • WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Awww they even copied WoW's Murlocks! How cute.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Looks good.

I have no played an Obsidian game I didn't like.

Sheep on
    edited October 2010
    Wishpig wrote: »
    Awww they even copied WoW's Murlocks! How cute.

No they didn't. Its actually based on a mythological creature.

C2B on
    edited October 2010
    There we have them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vodyanoy

And yes, though the design was used already several times its still based on it. Considering MOTB already draw heavy from slavic mythology and its for a large part the same team.

Anyway: Repost of presentation for new site

Ain't it a beauty

If you have questions to the presentation and the shown gameplay. Alvin Nelson (dude in the video) has promised to answer them as far as he can on the obs board.

http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?s=&showtopic=56264&view=findpost&p=1073174

C2B on
    edited October 2010
    For some reason the game also remindes me of the early mana titles. No idea why though.

Anyway some quotes about the presentation:
    We were playing on the PC.
    (Which also confirms co-op for pc)
    8. The demo you saw there was pre-alpha, if that helps.
    We were playing a short demo, so it's a bit more linear. The final game won't be nearly as straightforward.

C2B on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    As much as some people hated Dungeon Siege 2, I do hope it carries over the multiple NPC party system from the first game instead of just the one shown in the above presentation. I liked having up to six people or pets with me at a time, people who then talked to each other and with you as you journeyed through the game.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited October 2010
    Dashui wrote: »
    As much as some people hated Dungeon Siege 2, I do hope it carries over the multiple NPC party system from the first game instead of just the one shown in the above presentation. I liked having up to six people or pets with me at a time, people who then talked to each other and with you as you journeyed through the game.

4 Player co-op was already established/confirmed. Maybe there are even more companions. Since they are predetermined charachters (At least in Single Player) you probably can even play ninja chick as main. And there are other charachters.

C2B on
    edited October 2010
    Chapman Quote (Lead Designer, DS3 version of Sawyer quotes^^)
    QUOTE (WorstUsernameEver @ Oct 13 2010, 09:44 AM) *
    Aside from work needed to be done on animation interpolation and possibly slightly higher res textures for the ground/walls etc. it seems that from that point of view there's not much to be said, the game looks good.

So, fully aware that you probably can't answer to most of the questions I'll ask you, here's my take on the presentation:
    1) The enemies look pretty slow and easy to kill for the most part. Was the difficulty toned down for the demo or can we expect a similar level of difficulty for the final game?
    2) It's pretty clear that in the demo some unconnected areas were basically stringed together with the Causeway. But how will that work in the final game? Will it link locations on a linear path like that or will it be usable as a more general-purpose fast travel system?
    3) You seem to be utilizing the same 'health orbs' system that Diablo 3 (and a great deal of action games) utilizes. Does that mean that there won't be potions in the game?
    4) Will environment be more open in the final game? Or will the game be this linear?
    5) Do you have all the stances from the beginning or can you unlock more of them as you progress through the game?
    6) Are all the characters pre-set? From how you make it sounds, if you select, say, Anjali, you'd probably end up encountering Lukas (or is it Lucas? eh, whatever) in that dungeon, or at least, you could encounter him and make him one of your companions.
    7) When can we expect the console versions to be shown? Quite frankly, while I like what has been shown of the engine a lot, the real test will be to see the framerate this smooth on consoles.

1) Abilities were overtuned and enemies undertuned for the demo. So, the real game will be tougher. Actually in our current build it's pretty much impossible to get past the first couple of fights in the game... but that's a bug.
    2) It will be a bit more general purpose than in the demo.
    3) We're not using potion chugging as the primary health recovery mechanic, no.
    4) The game will be more open than that presentation.
    5) In the current development build, you have all stances from the beginning. Because they are used tactically, and important to having a well-rounded combat experience, they're likely to stay unlocked at the beginning.
    6) Can't answer this yet.
    7) The framerate should be industry standard on consoles, and we are working very hard to ensure that it is consistently running at framerate. The game will likely run faster on most gaming PCs, so that's a definite advantage for PC players.

C2B on
    edited October 2010
    Short Gametrailers interview with Chris Taylor and Chapman from the gamescom (no idea why they didn't release that sooner)

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-10-dungeon-siege/706107

No really new information though.

C2B on
    edited October 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    And the stances are more like the Demon's Souls stances than The Witcher's.
    I take this back.

Yo, it's Heavenly Sword.

Monger on
    edited October 2010
    And the stances are more like the Demon's Souls stances than The Witcher's.
    I take this back.

Yo, it's Heavenly Sword.

Well not exactly. HS didn't have a defensive stance and ability usage was different.

Not to mention this only counts for the guardian class. Other classes have other stances.

C2B on
  • diasp0radiasp0ra Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This actually looks pretty interesting :)

Obsidian are a great company..they just seem to have budget/time issues, where they try to rush out their games at the end. I mean the entire ending to KOTOR2 should be an indicator of this.

Their games are great, and i love their writing, they just need a bit more polish. That would have insured them a place among the gaming greats of this generation. Hope they make this one work, i have faith in them!

diasp0ra on
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    While some Obsidian games have issues, I think the KOTOR2 ending issue is unfair to them. There is a difference between them releasing a game unfinished and LucasArts forcing them to release early. The blame on KOTOR2 is not really Obsidian's fault.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
    edited October 2010
    Here it is. Thanks to Riptens greatness
    http://www.ripten.com/2010/10/15/obsidian-showcases-their-new-onyx-engine-with-dungeon-siege-iii-video/

http://vimeo.com/15857984

The complete Panel about Art Design and Dungeon Siege III. Also showing off concept art.

C2B on
    edited October 2010
    Also the slashing sound in the presentation is a placeholder.

C2B on
    edited October 2010
    Grief, that Vimeo thing is 40 minutes long. Is that inclusive of the Ripten video?

subedii on
    edited October 2010
    subedii wrote: »
    Grief, that Vimeo thing is 40 minutes long. Is that inclusive of the Ripten video?

That IS the ripten video.

Its the panel Obsidian had at Comic con.

C2B on
    edited October 2010
    So, it is part of the Q1-2 Block of Square Enix.

C2B on
    edited October 2010
    So a little News Roundup

System Requirments

Minimum:
    Processor: 2.6GHz or better
    Memory: - 2 GB of RAM
    Graphics: 256MB DirectX 9 3D video card with Pixel Shader 3.0 (ATI Radeon X1800 or NVIDIA GeForce 8600)
    DirectX®: DirectX® 9.0c
    Sound: No accelerated sound hardware required
    Hard Drive: 4 GB for full installation
    Other: Broadband Internet Connection required for multiplayer gameplay

Then the newest version of Nav Power is used for DS3 Pathfinding/AI

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/64656/NavPower_30_Released_New_Licenses_Announced.php

The guy responsible for the idea of taking Dungeon Siege and giving it to Obsidian is excited about it in his twitter (Is the Director of Business Development)
    Had a very productive meeting with the team of Dungeon Siege III. This game is going to be my best idea yet!

And for last an interview by Classic Games Room
    Alvin Nelson interview

C2B on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm so excited for this. I'll never get to play Diablo III so this will fil that spot nicely.

Unless Sacred 3 ever comes out. More ARPG Loot-fests on consoles!

Magic Pink on