As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Alcohol] - THE FINAL DRUNKENING

OrganichuOrganichu poopspeesRegistered User, Moderator mod
ALCOHOL
In chemistry, an alcohol is any organic compound in which a hydroxyl functional group (-OH) is bound to a carbon atom, usually connected to other carbon or hydrogen atoms.

But that, of course, isn't why you're here. You're looking for this:
Ethanol, also called ethyl alcohol, pure alcohol, grain alcohol, or drinking alcohol, is a volatile, flammable, colorless liquid. It is a powerful psychoactive drug and one of the oldest recreational drugs. It is best known as the type of alcohol found in alcoholic beverages and thermometers. In common usage, it is often referred to simply as alcohol or spirits.

Everyone loves booze! Ours (and by ours I mean mine and yours and that person's- anyone but Muslims and Straight Edgers, I suppose.) There are lots and lots of types- flavors, preparations, serving sizes, et cetera- of alcoholic beverages- and lots of social accoutrement. You could be interested in one, or both of these things. Do you want to sip port while discussing the recent dip in reactionary fiscal pools? Maybe you're home. Have a desire to mix together a classic cocktail, and feel vintage and current? This is you! We will also accept full blown alcoholics drinking liquors straight up, throwing away their lives, piece by cask-aged piece. Maybe you like sipping a beer with dinner- come on in. And I suppose we'll even offer an environment for brahs in tight tshirts with bottle service who insist on SoCo and lime. I guess.

So, what can you expect?
Beer
It is produced by the brewing and fermentation of starches, mainly derived from cereal grains—most commonly malted barley, although wheat, maize (corn), and rice are widely used. Most beer is flavoured with hops, which add bitterness and act as a natural preservative, though other flavourings such as herbs or fruit may occasionally be included.

Beer is the most popular alcoholic beverage in the world. It really offers something for everyone- the casual drinker, the casual drunk, the frat bro, the snob, the do-it-yourselfer, and on and on.
Liquor
A distilled beverage, liquor, or spirit is a drinkable liquid containing ethanol that is produced by distilling fermented grain, fruit, or vegetables.

Liquor is especially relevant, because it offers a huge cultural crossroads- it's a coming of age for a lot of folks. It's a base for most popular cocktails. It's the province of cheap drunks, and well funded aficionados. Whether whiskey, tequila, rum, whatever- these spirits are probably the most direct and widely compatible route to a high BAC on the planet.
Liqueur
A liqueur is an alcoholic beverage that has been flavored with fruit, herbs, nuts, spices, flowers, or cream and bottled with added sugar.

Liqueur fills a sort of tenuous role if only because of how the line can be murky as a result of modern liquor trends. Flavored vodkas and all sorts of sugared up rums have really led the youth- myself included, at one time!- to be a bit ignorant of where one thing starts and one thing ends. Generally speaking, a liqueur can expected to be consumed in smaller quantities than other prime alcoholic beverages- not for their alcohol volume, but for their cloying sweetness en masse.
Wine
Wine is an alcoholic beverage, typically made of fermented grape juice.

This is probably what your mom drank when dad was 'still at the office' and you were being awful and stressful. Its pairing with meals is often considered a crucial element of its quality and applicability as a beverage. Wine is one of those things mentioned earlier that offers a massive social experience- with vineyard tours and, in the better half of society, clubs that sniff and deliberate.

---

These are some things you might want if you're getting into consuming alcohol at home:
BarShakerSet.jpg

^-- shaker and strainer
mojito.jpg

^-- muddler to mash or otherwise express or reduce or integrate ingredients… a pestle for cocktals
Spout_bottle_opener.jpg

^-- bottle opener to remove metal bottle caps
btc.jpg

^-- corkscrew for removing corks from bottles
jigger.jpg

^-- a jigger, for measuring volume- each side contains a different measurement; sometimes 1.5 oz / .75 oz; 2oz / 1.5 oz, etc

---

Organichu on

• adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well, I tried the Shakespeare Stout last night and I didn't like it at all. It's waaaaay too bitter for a delicious oatmeal stout.

I'll be sticking with Samuel Smith for now.

adytum on
  • jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I made this drink on a whim:

2 parts Kahlua
    2 parts Irish Cream
    1 part Vodka
    1 part Creme de Menthe
    Ice
    Garnish with cherry

And it's pretty great...the only problem is it looks like Christmas Elf vomit. Any ideas on how I can make it look better?

jackisreal on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    i fixed myself a brandy alexander with remy vsop- 2:2:1, cognac:half and half:creme de cacao

it was pretty nice, i'm glad i skimped on the chocolate

Organichu on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    jackisreal wrote: »

2 parts Kahlua
    2 parts Irish Cream
    1 part Vodka
    1 part Creme de Menthe
    Ice
    Garnish with cherry

And it's pretty great...the only problem is it looks like Christmas Elf vomit. Any ideas on how I can make it look better?

Godiva makes a White Chocolate liqueur that might go well replacing the Kahlua.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    jackisreal wrote: »

2 parts Kahlua
    2 parts Irish Cream
    1 part Vodka
    1 part Creme de Menthe
    Ice
    Garnish with cherry

sounds like it has kind of a lot going on there. i guess i'd recommend choosing just two out of {Kahlua, Irish Cream, Creme de Menthe}

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    i fixed myself a brandy alexander with remy vsop- 2:2:1, cognac:half and half:creme de cacao

creme de cacao is one of those that i can't really wrap my head around. maybe it's because the only brands that i can ever find are really bottom-shelf affairs that just taste artificial. i'm thinking of buying some cocoa nibs from a local place and just making my own to see if it tastes any more like i feel like it should.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited October 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »

creme de cacao is one of those that i can't really wrap my head around. maybe it's because the only brands that i can ever find are really bottom-shelf affairs that just taste artificial. i'm thinking of buying some cocoa nibs from a local place and just making my own to see if it tastes any more like i feel like it should.

yeah this was my first time having any and i guess i kind of intuited that i wouldn't like it so i halved it in the recipe

i don't think i really like the flavor of it (insofar as a beginner like me could taste it past the brandy)

Organichu on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nominates [Alchohol] - THE FINAL DRUNKENING as thread title.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited October 2010
    motion carried

Organichu on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    I'll be sticking with Samuel Smith for now.

I have yet to have a Samuel Smith product that wasn't fan-freaking-tastic. Even their cherry beer is perfect -- not too tart, not too sweet. It's a fruit beer for manly men.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What's a good rum drink to order at a bar? Rum and coke is kind of boring and I feel weird ordering Mai Tais if I'm not on an island somewhere.

Pellaeon on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I drank two fishbowls (~60oz glasses) of a local Brown Ale and smoked a cigar last night.

It was a good night.

Burtletoy on
    edited October 2010
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    What's a good rum drink to order at a bar? Rum and coke is kind of boring and I feel weird ordering Mai Tais if I'm not on an island somewhere.

you could go with a daiquiri. that's kind of the classic rum drink.

rum really only got super-popular as a mixer during the "tiki drink" era to my knowledge, so a whole lot of rum drinks have these intricate and controversial recipes that require like four kinds of fruit juice and several varieties of rum

well-mde mai tais are really pretty tasty, but it's really a roll of the dice whether your local bar is gonna make a decent one. odds are excellent that if they can even make it at all, it's either gonna be a shot of rum and a bunch of pre-mix, or else some really truncated recipe like rum, pineapple and sprite.

i'll see if i can't think of a better basic rum drink. you might want to think about branching out from rum for orderign at a bar though.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well at my local bar I usually get beer because like you said I'd be suspect of the quality of any mixed drink more complicated than rum and coke. By bar I really meant more "out" somewhere and not messing around at home. I just haven't tried much in the way of liquor beyond the very basics (ie margarita, rum and coke, mai tai on my vacation in hawaii) and am looking for some different options. I'll definitely give daiquiris a try.

Pellaeon on
    edited October 2010
    i'd recommend trying the basic drinks if you get a chance

old fashioned
    manhattan
    daiquiri
    margarita
    martini

there are tons of good drinks, but i think i'd consider these the basic classics

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Continuing my trend of making everyone hate me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuQDR1PmCng

Doc on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

old fashioned
    manhattan
    daiquiri
    margarita
    martini

there are tons of good drinks, but i think i'd consider these the basic classics

Be careful with daiquiris and margaritas... the frozen kind are what a lot of places will serve. And those are bullshit.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I have a bottle of Jonge Jenever as a gift from Aldo.

I don't really know what to do with it. The best suggestion so far seems to be drinking it from the freezer with lager as a chaser.

japan on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Chanus wrote: »

old fashioned
    manhattan
    daiquiri
    margarita
    martini

Be careful with daiquiris and margaritas... the frozen kind are what a lot of places will serve. And those are bullshit.

Limed, even though some aren't. There are quite a few places by me that make premium fresh frozen margaritas (real ingredients, no bullshit mixes). Of course those will set you back $50 a pitcher, so there's that.

Deebaser on
    edited October 2010
    Doc wrote: »

there were a bunch of people on this board who were big advocates of this bullshit before i civilized this place.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited October 2010
    Chanus wrote: »

old fashioned
    manhattan
    daiquiri
    margarita
    martini

it's true. i mean, let's be straight - an applebees will manage to fuck up even the basic classics.

they'll make your martini with spritzed vermouth and vodka
    they'll pull your margarita out of a slushy machine and make it with cuervo
    your "daiquiri" will be strawberry candy mix and bacardi silver
    manhattan will be jack and cherry juice and bitters if you're lucky
    old fashioned will be a fruit salad with whiskey and 7 up

there's a reason to have a simple highball that you can stomach in your back pocket if it comes down to it. mine is bourbon and soda.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm a big fan of Skittles vodka but that's just absolutely disgusting.

Quid on
    edited October 2010
    Why would someone shake and strain a spirit + mixer? Especially a carbonated mixer?

That is just bizarre.

japan on
    edited October 2010
    japan wrote: »
    Why would someone shake and strain a spirit + mixer? Especially a carbonated mixer?

That is just bizarre.

it's just ign'ance, japan

ign'ance

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited October 2010
    The man's mixing Skittles vodka with Mountain Dew.

It's fair to say he's maybe not received the best lessons.

Quid on
    edited October 2010
    the man's making skittles vodka with mountain dew

i mean, no offense or anything quid, but i think he's already a bit over the respectability hill

Organichu on
    edited October 2010
    Wait why are you just repeating what I say?

Quid on
    edited October 2010
    i was saying drinking skittled vodka in the first place is alread-

nevermind, quid

i love you too much

Organichu on
    edited October 2010
    SKITTLES VODKA IS A TASTY TREAT.

Quid on
    edited October 2010
    japan wrote: »

That is just bizarre.

it's just ign'ance, japan

ign'ance

It can't simply be that, because anyone with the slightest hint of sense must realise that carbonated drinks are not generally improved by rendering them flat.

That officially tops this that I found on a pub menu the other day. I took a picture because I didn't think anyone would believe me if I tried to describe it:

xpresso.jpg

EDIT: I am amused that vodka and monster is described as "classic"

japan on
  • Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    One of my old roommates left a bottle of banana liqueur (creme de banana) when he left. What are some simple and cheap things I can do with it. Its pretty unpalatable straight up.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    One of my old roommates left a bottle of banana liqueur (creme de banana) when he left. What are some simple and cheap things I can do with it. Its pretty unpalatable straight up.

Burn things.

Thats the best thing you could hope to get out of that shit.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    a horny monkey?

# 1 1/2oz Creme de banana
    # 1/2oz rum
    # 1oz vodka
    # 2oz cream of coconut
    # pineapple juice

that seems like a lot of banana liqueur compared to the liquor though

I had one at a restaurant. It's not too sweet.

Casual Eddy on
  • cyphrcyphr Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Banana, coconut, AND pineapple?

And the lesser sin of mixing vodka and rum??

Yeah, that drink is an abomination against god.

(could be tasty though)

cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't know if that was the recipe of the one I had in the restaurant.

oh and you can also use creme de banana to make bananas foster!

Casual Eddy on
  • VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tried my first gin on the recommendation of this thread.

Picked up a bottle of Beefeater, and at first, I was put off. Harsh, oily, almost a.... sugary after taste?

But then I grew to love it. Now I'm writing a bazillion page paper, and like generations of writers before me, drinking gin.

(Holy fuck Beefeater is fucking expensive. 21.99 for a 750?)

Verr on
    edited October 2010
    amaretto + energy drink

chili sambuca (?!) + blue curacao + energy drink

someone is trying to kill scottish people

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Doc wrote: »

I want to know what kind of name or how you'd order that drink. What the fuck would you even call that? I like Mountain Dew, but it shouldn't be mixed with liquor. The closest I've come is Vodka and Code Red which my friends and I called Code Poop.

Although I don't know how judgmental I can be since I'm drinking bottom shelf whiskey and bud light, but if I had money I'd be drinking better stuff.

Magell on
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Verr wrote: »
    Tried my first gin on the recommendation of this thread.

Picked up a bottle of Beefeater, and at first, I was put off. Harsh, oily, almost a.... sugary after taste?

But then I grew to love it. Now I'm writing a bazillion page paper, and like generations of writers before me, drinking gin.

(Holy fuck Beefeater is fucking expensive. 21.99 for a 750?)

You're writing a paper and you think Beefeater is fucking expensive? I'm going to use my brilliant powers of deduction to conclude that you're in college.

Although if you want cheaper gin you could try New Amsterdam.
    Magell wrote: »
    I want to know what kind of name or how you'd order that drink. What the fuck would you even call that? I like Mountain Dew, but it shouldn't be mixed with liquor. The closest I've come is Vodka and Code Red which my friends and I called Code Poop.

Although I don't know how judgmental I can be since I'm drinking bottom shelf whiskey and bud light, but if I had money I'd be drinking better stuff.

You're a better man brought low by circumstance; don't let it get to you.

Cervetus on
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I had a couple beers aged in bourbon barrels on Sunday and I realized while I thought they were delicious, I also claimed they taste like bourbon. Honestly though I don't really know what bourbon tastes like. Anyone able to describe it at all?

shadowane on