As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MMA X: Captain Guillotine: Fear the man who has practiced one choke 10,000 times

• doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think SF actually uses CS. Well, there's a reason Noons is the one with the broken hand and jaw. Take a look at Fightmetric.

http://blog.fightmetric.com/2010/10/diaz-vs-noons-ii-fightmetric-report.html

This displays the total number of strikes. Seems like both sites agree that Noons only hit Diaz 140-155 times.

So both sites show that Diaz out boxed and out striked Noons to a clear unanimous decision.

BIG NEWS:

Know Rhadi Ferguson? You don't? Pfft, that's Kimbo's 2004 Olympic Champion Judokai cousin! Below is his 2nd MMA fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSfrz4pjoMQ&feature=player_embedded#

The man has heavy hands, and is already trying to be well rounded rather than just rely purely on grappling. His future is promising.

NEWS EVEN BIGGER:

You remember that crazy Nazi Datsik? The one who escaped from an Asylum by tearing a chain link fence with his bare hands? He's baaaack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxoqAYZwHqM&feature=player_embedded#

He threatened Alexander Emelianenko with the following translated comment.
    Datsik : I have got few things to say to some comrades , roosters like Sasha Emelianenko ( in this case rooster = homosexual in general, usually a man who is forced to have sex with other men in prison , russian петух ) .

First of all ... didn't you mix something up ? Do you see a sportsman in me ? I am not such ... you wanted to show me what pain means ? So you rooster ( homosexual ) tell me your address and we will meet . And I don't see you being a sportsman either ... in the near future . I see you as a jewish guy's ho , who licks Finkelstein's asshole . And your tattoos I see you have removed them , they were fake ones huh , so your near future is being a sex slave in any prison . And how people end up there you know better ... your own homosexuals/black friends ( refering with racist comment towards non russian people ) with show your spot in the prison . If you are such a superman , so cool and a super fighter and want to teach me something just leave your address , you don't have to catch me , I will find you myself

doug_grammar on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Why would anything Datsik say be considered news

The dude is a degenerate nazi asshole who can't stay out of trouble with the law. War Machine is a likeable upstanding saint in comparison

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Since when did Datsik become a neo nazi? Ok, the man is even crazier than I thought if hes threatening, of all people, Aleks Emelianenko. Aleks would straight up murder Datsik (in the ring).

Who is crazier, Datsik, or Dan Quinn?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gLmEY656HY

Dangerbird on
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm hoping it's Datsik, but I'm willing to examine evidence to the contrary.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    WHEN YOU MIX STEVIA IN A BLENDER WITH WATER, IT GETS FOAMY

THATS SCIENCE MAN

SCIENCE THAT STEVIA CURES CANSER THATS HYDROLIC COLD FUSION BECAUSE ITS NOT EVEN HOT.

DAN KNOWS HIS STUFF

CangoFett on
  • ForumiteForumite Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    This was posted over at SA following the Strikeforce show;

racj1v.jpg

It is one of the official judges cards. Apparently 37+9=47 :lol:

Quality of MMA judging <3

Forumite on
    33tp6w6.gif
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Good lord, that is terrible.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Anyone up for watching GSP on a Filipino Television show? How about if it includes a sumo wrestler? I thought so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJhOPuJf_gc

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    LOL! "Showtime!" Kos doesn't stand a chance, there is no way he could make GSP as uncomfortable as he was in that show, hehe... Perhaps GSP should seek out Genki to help him learn dancing as a sort of coach, especially incorporating it into his fights :D

Thanks for linking that Jared :)

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2010
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    Good lord, that is terrible.

Jesus christ, the judges are so bad they lack elementary math skills.

This is depressing.

doug_grammar on
    edited October 2010
    LOL! "Showtime!" Kos doesn't stand a chance, there is no way he could make GSP as uncomfortable as he was in that show, hehe... Perhaps GSP should seek out Genki to help him learn dancing as a sort of coach, especially incorporating it into his fights :D

Hahaha, yeah I thought the same thing about making him uncomfortable. At first I thought "Wow Kos was right about GSP being awkward". Then after watching a minute or two more I thought "It would be way weirder if he was wasn't awkward on that show". That was bizarre.

They should have sent Rampage instead, he'd love that kinda shit.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Those kind of variety tv shows are very popular in asian countries. I suppose they're comparable to MTV's TRL, but more weird.

Heres one with Aleks Emelianenko in Korea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC1WNDKl_yU

Dangerbird on
    edited October 2010

You're most welcome!

I have to say this season of TUF has made me like GSP so much more, I love his coaching attitude, he's funny when he has to be, he takes everything in stride. He likes Dinosaurs. GSP is awesome

I just really hope GSP finishes Kos and doesn't grind out a decision. I know GSP is always working but I'd really love to see him choke Kos out our GnP him to a pulp.

However good job to Kos for making me (and lots of other people) hate him. That's a good way to get PPV buys and increase your value to the company. If you're going to Troll, at least troll well enough to pump up interest in your fights!

Metal Jared on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    And also look like a troll.

adytum on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    That clip of Aleks is fucking weird but I couldn't stop laughing.

I still have to ask though. What the fuck is wrong with Koscheck's eyes? Every time he looks into the camera to talk it's just fucking weird looking.

JustinSane07 on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's not just his dead glazed eyes, all of him looks weird

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This season of TUF has been so good just because of the interaction between the coaches. Kos is trying so hard to get a rise out of GSP and he just can't do it and he's definitely getting frustrated, it's pretty awesome. He's got no idea what to do with someone who really won't rise to his bait, I'm loving it.

All you need to see to hate Koscheck is the first season of TUF, he was a royal asshole.

Peen on
    edited October 2010
    I mostly caught up on TUF last night. What is the Armenian's problem? Yeah, Bruce Leeroy Jenkins is a douche, but not enough to elicit an "I keeeeeeeeel you" response.

I hope Mr. Armenia gets KTFO's in the opening moments of his fight, just to shut him up.

adytum on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It got bleeped but I'm pretty sure Bruce called him a faggot, which is when the Armenian guy went off. It was pretty uncool but at the same time Jenkins is going pretty far over the top.

Peen on
    edited October 2010
    I don't think that kind of murderous rage is ever appropriate over words.

But then I'm not from Armenia. Or a fighter. Or drunk and listening to someone spout off at the mouth.

adytum on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just want to see the episode where a drunk guy knocks out another drunk guy on the lawn

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You've prolly never been cooped up in a house for months with no entertainment besides booze either. No books, magazines, TV, computers, nothing.....it's enough to drive anyone nuts.

Cabezone on
    edited October 2010
    Cabezone wrote: »
    You've prolly never been cooped up in a house for months with no entertainment besides booze either. No books, magazines, TV, computers, nothing.....it's enough to drive anyone nuts.

I did it for about a month. I think you really get to see a person's true character. Granted, there were no cameras rolling, but still.

doug_grammar on
    edited October 2010
    Cabezone wrote: »

I did it for about a month. I think you really get to see a person's true character. Granted, there were no cameras rolling, but still.

Military?

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
    edited October 2010
    One more TUF tidbit:

It was pretty hilarious watching Guivi Sissaouri toss a bunch of much larger guys all over the mat like they were dolls.

I'd like to see more of him. His grappling looked outstanding.

adytum on
    edited October 2010
    Bruce told him to eat a dick. Now bring on Muay Thai guy!

I want to delight in fucks being dropped by leg kicks.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
    edited October 2010
    Explosion.gif goes your knee!

adytum on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    New episode of "TheReem" is out. It follows Overeem in his preparations for the K-1 fight some week ago in which he dominated his opponent.

http://www.thereem.com/

This entire series is excellent if you want to know how a fighters life (in both MMA and K-1) looks like, how his coaches think, how preparations are made and how things look like backstage.

It's quite interesting

Also, for those who know nothing of K-1, watching a few select episodes of this series will introduce you to most of what you need to know to really get into the sport. It might be worth it because some of the best fights go down in K-1

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    alistair needs some color in his life

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I finally got around to trying the EA MMA demo. I dig what they've done with submissions (and my hand and the right analogue stick on my controller also dig it), but I hate the striking. It's so slow. I haven't tried the other control scheme though.

Most of the actual fighting animations look good, but the 'presentation' stuff - the walkouts, the ring announcer, the victory celebrations - don't look very good. Very robotic and awkward. I also find the camera work in those cases to be pretty stiff and unnatural.

In any case I need to put some more time in before I can put in a real verdict, but this is just my initial impression.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I dislike EA MMA's ground game immensely... its entirely too easy to get taken down (I was mashing on O when Jake Shields took me down for the nth time that fight) and its almost too easy to move/reverse positions. I also am not a fan of the subs as it is so hard to get the timing right and the circle maneuver to finish (it was pretty easy to escape)

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Reznik wrote: »
    I finally got around to trying the EA MMA demo. I dig what they've done with submissions (and my hand and the right analogue stick on my controller also dig it), but I hate the striking. It's so slow. I haven't tried the other control scheme though.

Most of the actual fighting animations look good, but the 'presentation' stuff - the walkouts, the ring announcer, the victory celebrations - don't look very good. Very robotic and awkward. I also find the camera work in those cases to be pretty stiff and unnatural.

In any case I need to put some more time in before I can put in a real verdict, but this is just my initial impression.
    I'll try to give an updated report on EA MMA when the game comes out. Apparently this demo is using the alpha build.

I use the classic control scheme rather than the total punch control. Using the buttons to punch allows for much quicker combinations but you lose the precision of stick controls. It's a tradeoff that I have gotten used to, since I used buttons for Fight Night as well.
    The striking in this game is preferred because you can't throw 50 hooks into an opponent's face and have nothing happen.

The presentation needs work though, I agree, but I'm only concerned about the fighting engine itself rather than any extra features.
    fmz65 wrote: »
    I dislike EA MMA's ground game immensely... its entirely too easy to get taken down (I was mashing on O when Jake Shields took me down for the nth time that fight) and its almost too easy to move/reverse positions. I also am not a fan of the subs as it is so hard to get the timing right and the circle maneuver to finish (it was pretty easy to escape)
    I love EA MMA's ground game. You can stuff all takedown attempts as long as you time it right and don't mash. The ground game isn't dumbed down to holding transition block and mashing for reversals, it actually takes some skill to recognize the rumble for transition changes to block them while defending against strikes as well. The sub system is even better because it's not a mash/shine fest, joint submissions require stamina management and the chokes require precision stick movement to lock in.

Understanding the game engine and playing against someone else that does too will make you realize how much depth this game has. And that's only from the limited matchups that the demo presents.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited October 2010
    I did eventually try the demo; I didn't like it.

But that was expected. :rotate:

adytum on
    edited October 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Also, for those who know nothing of K-1, watching a few select episodes of this series will introduce you to most of what you need to know to really get into the sport. It might be worth it because some of the best fights go down in K-1

You don't need to say that again. The next thread should feature some K-1 love as well because sometimes all you want to do is see some devastating knock outs.

doug_grammar on
    edited October 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »

You don't need to say that again. The next thread should feature some K-1 love as well because sometimes all you want to do is see some devastating knock outs.

I've made several attempts to "get into" K-1 but it never really went anywhere. Watching pure kickboxing (or any pure striking) is strange to me, and I don't think I have the eyes for it yet. I'm a grappler at heart.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Why is it so? It's just like grappling once you get past the surface. It's a mental chess game in where you want to get that check mate.

I mean, obviously if you don't understand what is going on then the only thing you'll get is the result, so it'll require some research on your part.

Once you get down the basics, watching these fighters perform is like watching some thing majestic. The things these people do leaves no doubt that they are the masters.

doug_grammar on
    edited October 2010
    Why is it so? It's just like grappling once you get past the surface. It's a mental chess game in where you want to get that check mate.

I mean, obviously if you don't understand what is going on then the only thing you'll get is the result, so it'll require some research on your part.

Once you get down the basics, watching these fighters perform is like watching some thing majestic. The things these people do leaves no doubt that they are the masters.

The thing I like about K-1 is you don't have to worry about having a lay and pray boring fight. However you do lose the great ground games some fighters show. I love a good back and forth grappling fight, submission attempt, reversal, passing guard, etc etc. However since the judges seem to feel that a takedown plus lay and pray = auto win it can be frustrating.

The K-1 match I've watched are really exciting and it's the only time I feel an actual 'ring' is acceptable instead of a cage. That's one of the big problems I have with Dream, I don't like fighters being stood up while they are grappling because they are near the ropes and then they have to 'reset' in the middle of the ring. I feel if you have a combat sport you shouldn't have to worry about being stood up while you're attempting to pass or ground and pound or submit your opponent. In fact I feel a cage makes takedowns more strategic since you don't want your opponent to wall climb back to standing. Maybe I'm in the minority but I love the cage as opposed to the ring.

Metal Jared on
    edited October 2010
    After seeing fools fall out side of the ring in Affliction, I'm all for the cage.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
    edited October 2010
    Personally, I don't care too much for people utilizing the cage in their fight strategies. I feel as though the only factors that should make a difference when two fighters are competing against one another are their actual skill and techinique in martial arts, with nothing else interfering.

Still, I do prefer the cage over the ring because referee resets are pretty much the worth thing ever and they totally disrupt the natural flow of a fight.

Dangerbird on
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm back, bitches. Being banned for two whole weeks sucks, let me tell you.

But I come bearing gifts. When I get home from work today, I'll post some pictures from my first NAGA tournament from a week and a half ago.

Hint: I won some medals.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.