As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW][Chat] Cata cata cata pon! (LOTS OF INFO IN THE OP)

• GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I spent more than an hour (and 400ish inks) just making full glyph sets for my and my girlfriends characters. That killed all my ambition for making money off inscription this patch. I'll probably just make some guildies a glyph set or two with the remaining inks and then not look at that crafting tab again until cataclysm.

/edit: Yeah, they are harder to make. Glyphs cost 3 inks in 4.01 as opposed to 1 ink now. And demand is going up because
    1) all glyphs are deleted from the talent tab
    2) people want to learn all glyphs now. it's like pokemon.

Grobian on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bobble wrote: »
    I must be thinking about the glyph situation incorrectly. I see is an immediate and dramatic plunge in demand for glyphs. Are you guys looking at the first day or so in terms of "prices skyrocketing"? It's not like they're going to be harder to make (or are they?)

There will be an initial surge, as people need new glyphs or replace old ones or just try and catch them all! This, coupled with the higher mat requirements, will cause the price to go up for awhile.

And then it will probably tank pretty fast as people get all the glyphs they want/need for now.

shryke on
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    mattclem wrote: »
    Got any concrete figures for how much PvP mounts cost post-patch? Here in Europe we're just building up to it, and I'm wondering if I want to splurge honor before or after. I've seen both 1000 and 2000 honor stated in different places.
    I took a look on the PTR last week:

2i9qqev.jpg

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So ... what is "Reforging" gonna cost? The screens on mmo-champion had them at 10k Gold ... which can't be right. Are there any concrete figures?

TheBigEasy on
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wait, what? They're deleting our currently applied glyphs? That doesn't seem right, they're letting you keep the ones that are still sitting in your bag (aside from those which are being converted to Charred Glyphs).

Lars on
  • OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    So ... what is "Reforging" gonna cost? The screens on mmo-champion had them at 10k Gold ... which can't be right. Are there any concrete figures?

It costs how much a vendor would sell it for

Ohtsam on
    edited October 2010
    Lars wrote: »
    Wait, what? They're deleting our currently applied glyphs? That doesn't seem right, they're letting you keep the ones that are still sitting in your bag (aside from those which are being converted to Charred Glyphs).

Well, actually I'm not 100% sure they'll delete the applied glyphs. I thought I read somewhere that this came with the new glyph categories and interface but I can't find it.

Grobian on
  • SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I literally subbed three days ago, had no idea any of these massive changes were coming up. Seems like a pretty good time to get into the game.

Sceptre on
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    "patch failed to install, error in common.mpq, please reinstall wow"

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Jealous Deva on
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Dear God that sucks.

As I'm patching it now, it looks like we have new intro movies? This'll be interesting.
    And I'm almost at the honor cap, and should get nearly 500g from old badges. :D So that's an extra two mounts that would normally take a week each to farm. Yay!

L Ron Howard on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Grobian wrote: »
    Lars wrote: »

Well, actually I'm not 100% sure they'll delete the applied glyphs. I thought I read somewhere that this came with the new glyph categories and interface but I can't find it.

Your applied glyphs should transfer over to the new system just fine.

Unless the glyph doesn't exist anymore, of course. (They end up turning into a "charred glyph" that's just vendor-cash.)

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

As I'm patching it now, it looks like we have new intro movies? This'll be interesting.

They are delievering a lot of the content for cataclysm in this patch so its probably the ones that were revised for Cata

Ohtsam on
  • Steel-AngelSteel-Angel Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    mage1.jpg

This is what 4.0 PVP will look like for the next few months.

A retarded disaster.

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Downtime extended to 2pm PDT. Ill be at work when the servers come up. :(

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I assumed everything will be a retarded disaster until Cata hits. Anyone who continues to run ICC will probably have an interesting time.

jackal on
    edited October 2010
    CorriganX wrote: »
    Downtime extended to 2pm PDT. Ill be at work when the servers come up. :(

Were you really expecting anything less?

Edit:
    jackal wrote: »
    I assumed everything will be a retarded disaster until Cata hits. Anyone who continues to run ICC will probably have an interesting time.

With the removal of the buffs and debuffs, does that mean avoidance tanking will now be what you want for tanks for ICC? So instead of stacking Stam having avoidance will be a good thing, right? Does that mean that for those of us tanks who have 80% avoidance (pre-patch) but not quite 50k health will be acceptable to tank it? Will there be more of a need for more tanks since the mobs there cannot be CC'ed and everyone's used to just facerolling their way around?
    I wonder how the sentries will work if the Rogue(s) fail, like they usually seem to in my experience, to disarm the traps....

L Ron Howard on
  • mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I expect it to be the worst, most ridiculous mess ever, and I'm loving every thought of it going badly.

mrsnackroad on
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I would be shocked if it is only extended two extra hours.

jackal on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That's a nice OP.

So I've been super casually leveling my old hunter with a friend's hunter. Super casually as in 70-73 over a period of a couple months. Anyway, I think it's a pretty well known fact that Northrend quest rewards in general are poorly itemized and don't do a good job of replacing anything but other crappy Northrend greens or TBC leveling gear. I was thinking the 4.0 stat changes might make this gear relatively better since 3-stat gear isn't quite as badly budgeted compared to 4-stat gear instead of the various 5-7 stat pieces people had if they raided in TBC at all (even just Karazhan or BoJ gear), so I've been checking out a lot of the quest gear on Cata wowhead.

Turns out the Northrend gear is still pretty shitty after 4.0. There are still various pieces with low amounts of str/agi/int (the most important DPS stats) and high crit or haste and pieces that still have just AP on them and no str or agi. Some items actually went from 3 stats to 2 stats in the conversion, so you'll have a cloak with like 39 stam/16 int. Wow, what an exciting reward. I also found a quest reward helmet last night that has agi, stam, and int on it -- post conversion. Cool gear bro. I'm pretty sure Outland quest rewards were better itemized compared to what else was available. Northrend actually feels like a step back in design in that regard.

Basically the awfulness of Northrend leveling gear really highlights how well itemized the Cata leveling gear is in comparison to any expansion we've had before, and makes me even more excited to play through quests where you can get excited about the rewards instead of just looking through everything to see which vendors for the most 95% of the time. I just wish it hadn't taken them 6 years and 80 levels to figure out this new philosophy.

On an unrelated note, I'm interested to hear reports on post-4.0 raid experiences, especially if the ICC buff really is gone, or from raids with DPS specs that apparently got shit in by 4.0.

forty on
  • Steel-AngelSteel-Angel Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I expect it to be the worst, most ridiculous mess ever, and I'm loving every thought of it going badly.

I wonder what all the healers are going to do now that their output is gutted, their mana longevity is destroyed, and every not-ARP based spec hits harder than Heroic Lich King.

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I wasnt around for the Wrath expansion patch but the BC one was glorious.

Jubal77 on
    edited October 2010
    BC -> Wrath was an extra 5 or so hours, IIRC....

L Ron Howard on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Are there any other pre-expansion events besides Lost Izzles and Gnomeragon ?

Fairchild on
  • pollofacepolloface Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    3.0 diddnt come up till 11 eastern, and the servers were shit till a few hours later.

If you learned a mount it would disappear when the servers crashed. I think that fuckup messed up the tracker for my mount achievement and handicapped me a few mounts.

polloface on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fairchild wrote: »

There will be some leadup stuff to the Cataclysm coming at some point. Doubt it will be up today.

captaink on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fairchild wrote: »

Yes.

Twilight Cultists and Elementals invading all ups. My guess won't start for at least a week.

Maybe even something for the final stage when the world goes kaboom, but I don't think we've seen the entire event yet on PTR.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Here's mmo-champions preview from the PTR. Also has loot lists for the Elemental bosses: http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/1985-Cataclysm-Prologue-Part-3-New-Tinkertown-Mobile-Armory

Grobian on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    End wrote: »
    Yes.

Twilight Cultists and Elementals invading all ups. My guess won't start for at least a week.

Maybe even something for the final stage when the world goes kaboom, but I don't think we've seen the entire event yet on PTR.
    Hmm. I thought the Zombie Invasion on Halloween just before WOTLK was totally awesome. I may also be the only person who felt that way, regardless, I'd love to see something similar prior to Cataclysm.

Fairchild on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    Think I'll re-sub tomorrow to check 4.0 out. Since I need to reinstall from scratch anyway (though I kept my addons/WTF saved), I think I'll just try the new stock UI for a bit and see how I like it.

Echo on
    edited October 2010
    Grobian wrote: »
    Here's mmo-champions preview from the PTR. Also has loot lists for the Elemental bosses: http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/1985-Cataclysm-Prologue-Part-3-New-Tinkertown-Mobile-Armory
    Sounds pretty neato, the portion that wasn't covered up by the huge danged Budget rental car ad that filled the middle of the page, that is.

Fairchild on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Think I'll re-sub tomorrow to check 4.0 out. Since I need to reinstall from scratch anyway (though I kept my addons/WTF saved), I think I'll just try the new stock UI for a bit and see how I like it.

I think I'm going to do this too. save my stuff, take a screenshot of my ui, but start from scratch while I wait for everything to get updated. figure out what I actually need.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I go to work at 3, I'm not out till 9, I honestly don't expect to see the servers up when I get home. At the least, I'll find out they came up an hour before hand.

I'm really unsure as to what character I'm going to be playing now. Classes are changing so much this time around that I'm not sure I'll be playing my DK as my main. Not being able to play these changes until some time after I get out of work is going to make my shift soooooo long today.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    With the removal of the buffs and debuffs, does that mean avoidance tanking will now be what you want for tanks for ICC? So instead of stacking Stam having avoidance will be a good thing, right? Does that mean that for those of us tanks who have 80% avoidance (pre-patch) but not quite 50k health will be acceptable to tank it? Will there be more of a need for more tanks since the mobs there cannot be CC'ed and everyone's used to just facerolling their way around?

Avoidance is pretty hot, since dodge and parries seem to completely stop attacks if successful. Granted, both are rarer on gear/require more to get a higher rating. Block you seem to get a ton of, but only stops 30% of a attack if successful, unless you're a warrior (where you can have critical blocks).

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    polloface wrote: »
    3.0 diddnt come up till 11 eastern, and the servers were shit till a few hours later.

If you learned a mount it would disappear when the servers crashed. I think that fuckup messed up the tracker for my mount achievement and handicapped me a few mounts.

3.0 is not a great judge though because there were HUGE changes in that patch - most notably the addition of achievements. I think a lot of people wanted to get on to just see what achievements they could get and to learn all their pets/mounts to free up the bag space. I think all the server/database access on that stuff is probably what hurt so bad. I mean, the achievements especially - you'll notice Blizzard stopped transfering your achievements when you copy to the PTR, probably for very similar reasons. I'm guessing dinging that many achievements at once by that many people is bad for the server :P

The changes in 4.0.1 aren't quite as big I think. I mean, you have the new talents and such that you always have with a X.0 patch, and a few interface changes. I suppose the fact they are completely changing some classes around may spark interest and make it a lagfest of a night though. I imagine 4.0.3 will be absolutely insane on the other hand. Wonder how soon before Cata actually launches they will release that patch...

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited October 2010
    If the 30% health buff is going away, I don't think you'd want to gear for avoidance. With how hard shit hits in there, you'll probably get two-shot if your avoidance fails twice in a row. It's also worth figuring that most tanks are losing about 10% avoidance from lack of the passive talents that used to give it.

forty on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I wonder what all the healers are going to do now that their output is gutted, their mana longevity is destroyed, and every not-ARP based spec hits harder than Heroic Lich King.

Not be tiny gods that are invincible unless you can chain interrupt/silence them or have a MS?

My count is still screwed up...I think I have somewhere around 25 phantom mounts in my count.

While it screwed me on getting my Albino Drake early, it did allow me to get my Red Dragonhawk before just about any other Horde on the server :P

Nobody on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    forty wrote: »
    If the 30% health buff is going away, I don't think you'd want to gear for avoidance. With how hard shit hits in there, you'll probably get two-shot if your avoidance fails twice in a row. It's also worth figuring that most tanks are losing about 10% avoidance from lack of the passive talents that used to give it.

It's not, is it?

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited October 2010
    Hell if I know. Some people were saying it is, so I'm just saying if it's true, you probably won't want to change things up just yet.

forty on
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Really we won't know till the servers come back up. The PTR didn't have it but the PTR may have had itself reset to back when garrosh/varian wyrnn weren't there providing the buff. So at this point its a wait and see but the patch notes only itimate that the chill of the throne is gone... not the buff.

TheGerbil on
  • 28682868 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I hate auctioneer. Is there something better?

2868 on
    Warhams. Allatime warhams.

buy warhams
This discussion has been closed.