As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Halo: MULTI/FIREFIGHT|MetaTag: A PA Reachmulti|Think Before Posting.

1565758596062»

• jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Willeth wrote: »
    Yeah, that was my point.

There's no such thing as a piece called the Flight of the Valkyries, and yet people persist in calling it that because they confuse Ride of the Valkyries it with Flight of the Bumblebee (two very different compositions, too).

So whenever someone does, it makes me think of its opposite number.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgRWT4ISO4Y

Edit: So, with the "Win 7 games in multiplayer Matchmaking" challenge, do team wins count? Like team slayer, invasion, BTB, etc?

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ronzo wrote: »
    I'm a Major Grade 1, and have 2 gold commendation, in Close quarters and jack of all trades. Mostly because I melee fucking everything (seriously, melee is my most used "weapon" in matchmaking. It's all in the hips), and Jack because I think untouchables count for that, and I basically use armor lock 85% of the time.

I haven't decided if i'm going to ever abuse the target painter or flawless cowboy things, but it hasn't been too much of a slog up to this point, so if I ever do, it will probably be for the ranks after lt colonel that take a assload of cR

edit: also, is anyone suddenly having a really hard time getting past stage 1 on invasion boneyard? It seems like everyone suddenly figured out that they can camp the elites in the starting area with the pistol, or at least the 2 on the far left spawn

Yea, pushing roamers into the spawn is an increasing trend for both invasion games. it kills a lot of time and boneyard is heavily stilted in favor of defense anyway.

my commendations are all over the place, mostly silver and bronze... trying to get rid of the last of my irons in multiplayer (automatics, heavy weapons and driver assists) soon though.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • TejsTejs Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think Boneyard invasion needs some work. It's way too easy to skunk the attacking elites on that map. Spire, on the other hand, feels well balanced. Most of the time, the attackers can get past Phase 1, and it feels more accomplished to skunk the spartans.

I think the problem is that there is just too much LoS on Boneyard against the elites. The times they elites are successful, it's because they took the cap point closest to the cliff edge VS the point closest to the bridge.

I think giving the Elites the Drop Shield loadout would be very effective during Phase 1. The respawn and run back timing is brutal, especially if you choose the invis / needler loadout.

Boneyard P1: Brutal against the Elites
    Boneyard P2: Laughably easy for the elites (very rarely can the spartans defend this phase)
    Boneyard P3: Seems well enough balanced, assuming you have team mates that wont just give swords to the enemy.

Tejs on
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I was goofing around in Theater and found out that the screen on the Revenant shows whatever the camera's pointing at, not necessarily where the vehicle itself is turned towards.

Screenshot.ashx?fid=6226978&size=medium
    You can see the guy in Armor Lock in the middle of the explosion, but he's smack dab in the driver's viewfinder. Must have been infuriating! I'm the guy helpfully sniping him out of his chair. :)

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think Reach doesn't want me to get today's challenges. Everytime I get near the no-death firefight completion a plasma grenade will leapfrog across explosions and blow me up from behind, or a pack of brutes will soak all of my ammo and grenades so the fuel rod grunt can suicide and blow all of us up, or my connection to LIVE simply dies.

BlueDestiny on
  • hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Gruntpocalypse counts.

hailthefish on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I was doing well in Gruntpocalypse until the aforementioned plasmahopping became a regular occurrence.

BlueDestiny on
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Gruntpocalypse counts.

I must be horrible, then. I always, always, always find creative ways to die in Gruntpocalypse.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I find that sniperfight and crashsite are the best for not dying. Technically, the only way to completely a round of crashsite is to not die.

ronzo on
  • FarleymanFarleyman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Gruntpocalypse and a drop shield is the best way to do the not die in firefight. Scary at times, such as when someone thinks a FRC Grunt squad is funny, but relatively easy I found. Just don't stop moving, seriously.

Win 7 games on the other hand. Christ that was difficult. Almost certainly playing with random idiots didn't help, but hey. Actually had to resort to SWAT to get the final win.

Farleyman on
    steam_sig.png
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Just killed 50 elites, it can easily be done in under 15 minutes. There might be better spots for it but I just did the very ending of the game and got 25 elites in two attempts.

Fizban140 on
    edited October 2010
    I do gruntpoc with armor lock.

And I cheesed outpost for the 50 elites thing.

hailthefish on
    edited October 2010
    I assassinated the Elite in Pillar of Autumn and reloaded 50 times in tribute to If They Came to Hear Me Beg....

Okay, maybe not.

Bizazedo on
  • Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Can someone explain to me how to cheese? thanks.

Jedi_Boi on
    i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
    edited October 2010
    Gruntpocalypse on Corvette seems the be the only foolproof way to complete it without dying. Otherwise, you will get 'random' plasma grenade deaths or you will not notice the fuel rod grunt until it's too late.

Tejs on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    From the starting spawn on Courtyard, go across the bridge and all the way to the right. You are now at the end of a long hallway that the grunts must come at you in almost single-file formation.

FyreWulff on
    edited October 2010
    Jedi_Boi wrote: »

Cheesing-t-shirt-lg.gif

Tejs on
    edited October 2010
    Tejs wrote: »
    Gruntpocalypse on Corvette seems the be the only foolproof way to complete it without dying. Otherwise, you will get 'random' plasma grenade deaths or you will not notice the fuel rod grunt until it's too late.

Corvette with armor lock in the top right room is one way to get a perfect run, that room has an easily defensible point there, plus it's open enough to take out other guys and retreat as needed.

Holdout with armor lock is one way to get a perfect run, because it has a good room to hide/fight from. Defend the room with two floors and doorways.

Courtyard with armor lock, on the side across the bridge is another way to get a perfect run too. Defend the dead end, they can only come at you in single file (it's weird, but they just do. everything does.)

Waterfront with armor lock is another run I usually zero death on, fighting from the dirt ramp on the side. Everything goes up the ramp (again, single file). You need to watch out for people along the upper level though, as they may throw grenades or fuel rod you.

In all cases, the hardest/riskiest fights are the first wave of 'nade spamming grunts, and the wave of chicken-jackals since they jump all over the place... the weapon you're using matters too. I find that the needler is amazing for these games. also, plasma pistols are surprisingly effective in a pinch too.

Armor lock is your best bet though, because sometimes shit happens with those grenades, or chain reaction explosions.

edit: I prefer to do sniper attack instead of gruntpocalype though. Grunts are finicky with grenades, and infinite needler is sexy.

tastydonuts on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    I got it on my first try with rocket fight.

Fizban140 on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've been pairing the dailies with my Legendary solo run where possible. Efficiency is the same of the game.

Also I'm a Lieutenant Colonel and don't have any gold commendations. Aren't I awesome.

I'm Lt. Colonel grade 1 right now and I'm like 25 kills off of getting the Firefight Heavy Weapons commendation up to gold, but everything else isn't even halfway past silver.

It's all about the daily and weekly challenges. 8-)

DarkPrimus on
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Jedi_Boi wrote: »

Download, play on Corvette, laugh at the slaughter.

Also, a perfect Gruntpocalypse game isn't that hard, just keep your distance and don't go running towards them.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
    edited October 2010
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    I got it on my first try with rocket fight.

I don't see it being a problem, but soloing it is safer/faster... especially in a game like rocketfight when you have people who like to blow everybody up at the end of the match, and don't know the exact time that the scores stop counting.

edit: man, that up makes all the difference.

tastydonuts on
    edited October 2010
    Gpoc is pretty much all about the distance and not getting surrounded. Most grunt weapons are laughably ineffective at the DMR's perfect range, and as long as you don't let them sneak up on you and you keep an eye on FRC grunts, you're fine.

It's when you get flanked and plasma'd and lose track of a squad of green grunts when you have troubles

hailthefish on
  • SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    When it says "Win 7 matches in multiplayer matchmaking" does that mean I can play firefight?
    Really not in the mood for anything competitive right now

Snowblindvictim on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    When it says "Win 7 matches in multiplayer matchmaking" does that mean I can play firefight?
    Really not in the mood for anything competitive right now

No, it's specifically competitive multiplayer.

DarkPrimus on
  • SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I guess its time for a little Team Slayer then

Snowblindvictim on
  • hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just played a really god damn tense game of team slayer on reflection. in the first minute, some guy threw a grenade and knocked killed two guys, one of who quit, the other booted the guy who killed him and then quit. one guy on the other team quit. me against 3 other guys. 9 minutes left in the match. luckily, we'd pulled ahead to 12-7.

luckily, i had my cloaking device.

luckily, the other team had no mics.

with 8:45 seconds left on the clock, i go and hide next to a support strut, and for three nerve-wracking minutes, i flutter my invisibility on and off. the best part about this hiding spot was that in my being invisible, you had to turn the corner of the support beam before you could make me out. the distortion of the glass made it impossible for them to see me from the otherside. and if they came up the ramp, they got a quick two elbows to the face. I managed to hold them all off until the end of the match, winning 20-9. Glorious.

I put the game up on my fileshare if you wanna take a look. I may clip a few things out.

edit: OH and i managed to grab my silver close quarters! woooooooooooo

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've been pairing the dailies with my Legendary solo run where possible. Efficiency is the same of the game.

Also I'm a Lieutenant Colonel and don't have any gold commendations. Aren't I awesome.

Same here.

[/high five]

Can I join this club? Closest for me is Headshots and Multi kills in Firefight being almost gold. Everything else is silver.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Ezekiel Zelias ChaosEzekiel Zelias Chaos Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I may never get the 1M achievement, or the Game, Set, Match achievement.. Seriously, I can't just cheese my way to victory.. and this is the closest I could get: 10% of the way there

This game is super difficult compared to ODST, where I did this.

It's almost like Bungie wants me to use infinite ammo against a million grunts.

Ezekiel Zelias Chaos on
    heh heh heh
    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    I just played a really god damn tense game of team slayer on reflection. in the first minute, some guy threw a grenade and knocked killed two guys, one of who quit, the other booted the guy who killed him and then quit. one guy on the other team quit. me against 3 other guys. 9 minutes left in the match. luckily, we'd pulled ahead to 12-7.

luckily, i had my cloaking device.

luckily, the other team had no mics.

with 8:45 seconds left on the clock, i go and hide next to a support strut, and for three nerve-wracking minutes, i flutter my invisibility on and off. the best part about this hiding spot was that in my being invisible, you had to turn the corner of the support beam before you could make me out. the distortion of the glass made it impossible for them to see me from the otherside. and if they came up the ramp, they got a quick two elbows to the face. I managed to hold them all off until the end of the match, winning 20-9. Glorious.

I put the game up on my fileshare if you wanna take a look. I may clip a few things out.

edit: OH and i managed to grab my silver close quarters! woooooooooooo

i love matches like this, i had one in halo 3 on construct where it was me vs 4 people and i kept ahead by like 5 the whole match

Local H Jay on
    edited October 2010
    So I had given up on SWAT for the longest time. Every time it showed up, albeit fairly rarely, in Multi-Team, I figured I would just eat the negative K/D and try to enjoy myself.

Finally, I decided to say screw it and to get my Small Arms commendation and swapped the DMR to the Pistol.

I then proceeded to outright win the damn thing for my team with 30 kills.

Ever since, only using DMR for long range shots, Pistol otherwise, I've always been in the top 3 teams unless my teammate sucks / bails.

I do not understand :(. Pistol just seems so much easier to cap people in the head with. Does it move quicker then the DMR on equal sensitivities?

Bizazedo on
  • VeeVee Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    AAAUGH NOO.

I was just in this team slayer game where in the lobby 2 dudes on other team were being total douchebags and shit talking this guy on my team because he had a pink spartan. Like calling him a faggot etc. So I was going to take great pleasure in whooping their asses. Game starts and me and my teamate are doing really good, I'm teabagging everytime I get a kill and I can just hear them screaming.

Then my xbox turns off for some reason D:

I guess it overheated or something? FUCK I was so pissed. At the end of the game I was planning on putting my mic on and telling them they got beat by a girl.

Vee on
    edited October 2010
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    So I had given up on SWAT for the longest time. Every time it showed up, albeit fairly rarely, in Multi-Team, I figured I would just eat the negative K/D and try to enjoy myself.

Finally, I decided to say screw it and to get my Small Arms commendation and swapped the DMR to the Pistol.

I then proceeded to outright win the damn thing for my team with 30 kills.

Ever since, only using DMR for long range shots, Pistol otherwise, I've always been in the top 3 teams unless my teammate sucks / bails.

I do not understand :(. Pistol just seems so much easier to cap people in the head with. Does it move quicker then the DMR on equal sensitivities?

pistol sort of fires faster than the DMR and swat has a little edge of twitch to it, so that could be it?

Swat is a gametype that I'm really swingy with. I'm either on top or I simply never get into a rhythm and therefore get treaded. but a lot of it comes from my mood when it pops up: bleeeeeeegh.

tastydonuts on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ronzo wrote: »
    I find that sniperfight and crashsite are the best for not dying. Technically, the only way to completely a round of crashsite is to not die.

I tried just ignoring the generator in crashsite, even getting some kills, but it didn't give me the challenge.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is there someone working on a new thread, or are the people that would all jailed?

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited October 2010
    New thread time. The rule about all infractions being 3 pointers still applies.

Tube on
This discussion has been closed.