As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Gene Hunt is no more. I need a new DVD TV series in my life.

Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Having put the last episode of Ashes to Ashes to bed (Oh My God how awesome was that?) I'm now left with a hole that needs filling. My wife and I need new dinner time DVD viewing, can you help with some recommendations?

We love:

(series)
Twin Peaks (<3<3<3)
Ashes to Ashes/Life on Mars
Firefly
Green Wing
Spaced

(themes)
Supernatural
Mystery
Strong character driven
Humour (Dark humour good)
Things that are awesome

We don't like when something starts well but has no end goal in mind lets everything go to pieces. As such started enjoying, but gave up on after a few series, of Heroes and Lost.

So come on, what do you like in a teevee show?

MhCw7nZ.gif
Jam Warrior on

• noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Buffy, Angel and Supernatural all spring to mind

noir_blood on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Have you watched Supernatural? It's good and it's a tenner a season for the first couple. It is the favoured evening watching of the missus and I right now.

japan on
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Black Books.

Liiya on
    edited October 2010
    For wider recommendations: Spooks and The Fixer.

japan on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bones, Pushing Daisies, Supernatural thirded. Also Buffy and Angel are a given.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Supernatural is certainly really good, mixing dark paranormal goings on with some great character interaction between the brothers and it cleverly intersperses humour and horror, with a focus on the latter but not with a real loss of the former. Fourthed (or whatever).

House is another show which is truly great, it is very strongly character driven and has more in common with a detective show than a medical drama, though it is really neither and is probably one of the best TV shows I have ever seen. Very funny at times, at other times it is extremely moving and has suprising depth.

Chuck I have just started watching recently and it is great. It's funny and fun and really worth the effort. It doesn't really fit your themes other than great character stuff and humour. Everyone should check out this show because it is so cool.

Solar on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dead like Me might be worth a watch.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Okay. I'd writen Supernatural off as yet another X Files/Buffy knock off without really knowing anything about it. Seems from strength of support like it needs looking into.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »

be advised that it got canceled with no real closure

Raneados on
    edited October 2010
    Raneados wrote: »

be advised that it got canceled with no real closure

Like all of the great tv shows :(

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• CaswynbenCaswynben Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I will..5th...Supernatural. It's great.

Caswynben on
  • ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I know this doesn't necessarily fit your list, but I'm going to recommend Freaks & Geeks. It's pretty much my favorite TV series DVD set of all time -- great characters, great humor, great music, great commentary, great everything.

An anecdote: my extended family gets together for like a week each Christmas, and one time I brought along Freaks and Geeks because my sister had never seen it. By episode four we were forced to start over because the entire family (like, all 20+ of them) was now watching it with us and loving it and people were demanding to see the episodes they missed. We all burned through the entire series in a few days.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Twin Peaks. <3

Whites just started, and it's pretty fantastic. I like Sherlock, too, though the 2nd episode is terrible and it's a touch hokey sometimes, but it's a great lighthearted show.

House is great, especially the earlier seasons. It's basically Sherlock Holmes with more drug abuse and some really great ethereal aspects enter the show at one point. Season 6 is trash, however. The seventh starts poorly but is shaping up nicely.

Dexter is another good one. I'm catching up with it, and while slow at times, John lithgow plays a main role in season 4. It's going to be worth watching just for that.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'll reiterate a bit of what's said because it's always good to get confirmation from multiple sources:

Buffy and Angel meet every one of your criteria perfectly and you have like 12 seasons so that's a good start
    Pushing Daisies
    Reaper
    Babylon 5
    Dead Like Me
    Veronica Mars
    Freaks & Geeks
    Undeclared
    Garth Merenghi's Darkplace

TychoCelchuuu on
  • ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Beck wrote: »
    Dexter is another good one. I'm catching up with it, and while slow at times, John lithgow plays a main role in season 4. It's going to be worth watching just for that.

Oh yes, Dexter is excellent. Season 4 is just fantastic television. I'd say it counts for Strong Character Driven, Dark Humor, and Things That Are Awesome.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Season 4 of Dexter could be one of the best things put on television. John Lithgow was the most awesomely terrifying thing I think I've seen on TV.

The rest of Dexter is equally awesome.

Also, i know I already mentioned it, but I really feel the need to push Pushing Daisies. I watched it on Netflix instant watch on a whim and it was just so amazing. I wish I had seen it when it was on tv, but it also fits all of your criteria and then some.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    As always, the answer is Farscape.

-SPI- on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »
    As always, the answer is Farscape.

Oh man yes, Farscape is great. Everyone should watch this show, and enjoy just how trippy and hilarious it can be while simultaneously being an awesome space adventure where every alien speaks with an Australian accent. Plus Ben Browder and Claudia Black so hey, something for everyone.

Solar on
  • TlexTlex Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'll 6th Supernatural, i'd also recommend Chuck and Castle.

Tlex on
  • An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Battlestar Galactica is pretty awesome. Hits...most of your list of themes you like. I love it. Got spaceships, war, strong characters, mystery (political/military intrigue) and its pretty relevant (in my opinion). Definitely give it ago. Don't let the first episode wear you down (its a long one. A lot happens. A few of my friends lost interest), after that, its pretty much gold.

An-D on
  • illigillig Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    X-files?

Fits most of your criteria except for humor.

illig on
  • An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    illig wrote: »
    X-files?

Fits most of your criteria except for humor.

I think some of the playful banter (read: sexual tension) between Scully and Mulder would qualify as humor.

An-D on
    edited October 2010
    Much to digest. Thanks for all the advice. I won't address them point by point but you've hit up a good mix of stuff I'd never heard of, stuff I never saw and have subsequently forgotten existed and stuff I've already either seen or tried and disliked.

Supernatural in the post and the rest of the thread copy pasted for future reference.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Watch the original 60s version of The Prisoner.
    It's dated absurdly well, and things like Twin Peaks probably wouldn't exist without it

Xagarath on
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Freaks and Geeks!

Featuring a young seth rogen, that guy from forgetting sarah marshall, and james franco.
    Only 2 brilliant seasons were made. One of the few shows like this i've rewatched and still really enjoyed.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Futurama, you can buy the whole series in a Bender head for cheap now.

Also, the prices on Star Trek seasons have done down, so that may work for you.

Comahawk on
    edited October 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    It's dated absurdly well, and things like Twin Peaks probably wouldn't exist without it

Yes! This is the kind of advice I was hoping for. Brilliant idea, something I've always been interested in but just slips my mind.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited October 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »

Yes! This is the kind of advice I was hoping for. Brilliant idea, something I've always been interested in but just slips my mind.

Small point, but if you have a Lovefilm subscription the whole thing is on their site for streaming.

japan on
  • MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Castle and Community.

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If you're up for cartoons, The Venture Brothers is awesome, really strongly character driven, and hilarious. The writers also make a habit of screwing around with their audience by implying one thing will happen and then doing something completely different in the next episode, or killing off popular characters, or turning barely seen one-off characters into the focus of entire episodes or plot arcs, etc.

BloodySloth on
  • MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Farscape is great, if you get into it to the point of finishing the series, make sure you get the movie "Peacekeeper Wars" it ends the series.

Also seconding Spooks, I am about halfway through this and am loving it. Aside from there tendancy to
    Have main charachters rotate out just as I am getting used to them. Just saw the episode that ended with a postcard from Zoey.

The new Dr Who series is fantastic. You mentioned firefly so I figured supernatural was not a hard requirement.

Life on Mars had an american version as well which is pretty good. I actually have yet to watch the British version. Harvey Keitel plays Gene Hunt.

The Dresden Files is a shortly lived series based on the books which hits a few items on your list.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The Wire maybe?

It doesn't really fit with the supernatural themes but the themes of

Strong character driven
    Humour (Dark humour good)
    Things that are awesome

Are definitely in there.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • MacGuffinMacGuffin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Someone said "You know what this world needs? A show about the father from malcolm in the middle cooking meth." And thus was Breaking Bad born, and it was good.
    And character driven. And awesome.

MacGuffin on
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Since you watched Spaced, can I ask a question? Is it worth buying two seasons and bonus stuff for 14.99? Since I can get it in HMV down the road tomorrow if it's any good.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
    edited October 2010
    Since you watched Spaced, can I ask a question? Is it worth buying two seasons and bonus stuff for 14.99? Since I can get it in HMV down the road tomorrow if it's any good.

What?

of course it is.

Nappuccino on

edited October 2010

What?

of course it is.

I have no idea on the value of the bonus stuff as I never watch any of that kind of thing. But for the main series itself? Yes, yes, yes and yes again.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • DraperDraper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    The Wire, The Sopranos, and Mad Men are the 3 best TV shows ever made. If you want to go miniseries, Generation Kill, Band of Brothers, and John Adams.

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg