As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW][Chat] Cata cata cata pon! (LOTS OF INFO IN THE OP)

• Options
    Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I look forward to breaking my wimpy 9500 GT on it then.

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    9500??? I didn't even know they made those... is it a mobile version or something?

You can turn off all the fancy water effects if you want.

Also:

Maintenence has now been extended to 4 o'clock.

Maybe the servers will be up when I get home from school.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    9500??? I didn't even know they made those... is it a mobile version or something?

Also:

Maybe the servers will be up when Cataclysm comes out.

ftfy

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nobody wrote: »
    jackal wrote: »
    I assumed everything will be a retarded disaster until Cata hits. Anyone who continues to run ICC will probably have an interesting time.

I expect it to be the worst, most ridiculous mess ever, and I'm loving every thought of it going badly.

I wonder what all the healers are going to do now that their output is gutted, their mana longevity is destroyed, and every not-ARP based spec hits harder than Heroic Lich King.

Not be tiny gods that are invincible unless you can chain interrupt/silence them or have a MS?

What the hell are you and Munkus talking about? Burst is so high in S8 that one lavaburst/conflag combo will drop a warrior through shield wall and full hots.

On my pally if I ever found myself in a position to fight a healer, I was better off just skipping them and going off to another location, or praying that my assistance arrives before his. I've spent 10 minutes trying to kill a tree in Ret, and his mana bar barely moved.

So yeah, not exactly going to cry about the healing reductions in PVP.

Caveat: I don't care about arena. I'm talking world and battleground PVP.

Nobody on
  • Options
    Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    TheGerbil wrote: »

Also:

Maybe the servers will be up when I get home from school.

No, it's an OC'd and worked up little piece of crap. The fan fell off so I have a ghetto PC running with an outside fan blowing directly onto it.

It's basically a tiny bit better 8600 GT. It runs surprisingly well, considering I have a good CPU and 6 gigs of RAM.

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, broad question time:

I'm planning on starting my own guild for Cataclysm (no, this is not a recruitment drive, I swear). My server's kinda small, and the Horde-side is even smaller. Does anyone have any general tips for running a guild? The most responsibility I've had is raid-leading, but running a guild is something I'd really like to give a try because the guild I'm currently with just isn't working out. I don't fancy faction-changing back to Alliance, and I really don't want to leave my server (mostly because I poured so much money into realm/faction changes already).

Yes, so, anyone got any advice for me?

Dunxco on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is there any current promotion like the scroll of resurrection for people who already own current xpacs?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I tried running the Launcher while I was home at lunch. It started doing the streaming of the 1.4GB... data, got through the red portion, then crashed out saying 'Lost connection to the Updater.'

I really hope it's not doing that when I get home, but I still have another two hours... which is apparently when the servers are even supposed to be coming up now. Going to be a madhouse.

Oh yeah, you know one of the changes I can't wait for? The elimination of Trade Spamming.

It came to mind because last night after I finished that H FoS, I came back out into Dalaran only to see the trade channel being massively and ridiculously scroll spammed, couldn't even read anything. They were doing it before server shut down.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Years later and still annoyed by their downtime information feed. Why didn't they post they were extending the maintenence earlier? They weren't just sitting there at like 4:55 going, "Hmm, well, it's either going to be done in 5 minutes or take two more hours. Not sure. Don't say anything yet."

Always surprised people perpetually give lowball estimates. Tell people 3pm and it's 7pm+ and they're irritated, tell them 8pm to begin with and bring it up at 7pm and they're pleased.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    28682868 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dunxco wrote: »
    So, broad question time:

I'm planning on starting my own guild for Cataclysm (no, this is not a recruitment drive, I swear). My server's kinda small, and the Horde-side is even smaller. Does anyone have any general tips for running a guild? The most responsibility I've had is raid-leading, but running a guild is something I'd really like to give a try because the guild I'm currently with just isn't working out. I don't fancy faction-changing back to Alliance, and I really don't want to leave my server (mostly because I poured so much money into realm/faction changes already).

Besides don't?

Well find smaller guilds with like minded people and see if they would be interested in disbanding and coming to what you have to offer? Or overpopulated guilds who need something smaller. Basically at this conjecture it's hard to begin a new guild, you need to have a population to support it, and you don't want to zerg it. So you need to recruit and build slowly.

Most new guilds come from within, or the merging and culling of older larger/smaller guilds respectively.

Edit: I am top of page king today.

2868 on
    Warhams. Allatime warhams.

buy warhams
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    azith28 wrote: »
    I havent really played for the last 3-4 months, but will be at least getting cata and maxing my main characters level and going through (warlock). However I must say that the changes to the warlock , at least from the perspective of someone just reading about the changes do not seem very profound. I'm dissapointed that they didnt give us a new pet. I love the warlock no matter how high or low they happen to be on the power meter (i dont really pvp) but damn its been like 7 years, if your not going to give us a new pet, then at least let us customize the pet models based on whats already in the game (various elemental types of voidwalkers, imps with clothes, etc).

Demon is actually getting some decent improvements:

Bane of Doom
    20 Banes the target with impending doom, causing 2213.37 Shadow damage every 15 sec. When Bane of Doom deals damage, it has a 20% chance to summon a Demon guardian. Only one target can have Bane of Doom at a time, only one Bane per Warlock can be active on any one target.
    15% of base mana, 40 yd range, Instant cast

Impending Doom
    Increases the chance for your Bane of Doom to summon a demon by [10%/20%/30%] when it deals damage.
    Also grants your Shadow Bolt, Hand of Gul'dan, and Incinerate spells a [5%/10%/15%] chance to reduce the cooldown of your Demon Form by 15 sec.

Basically Curse of Doom now ticks every 15seconds and has a chance to summon a doom guard. And your filler spam spells will reduce the CD on Metamorphosis, so in theory you can meta, Spam a bunch of Shadowbolts, and meta could be off cd 2 minutes early.

Also Soul Shard change.

and

Demon Soul
    85 You and your summoned demon fuse souls, granting the Warlock a temporary power depending on the demon currently enslaved.
    Imp - Critical Strike damage on cast time Destruction spells increased by 60% for 30 sec. Each spell cast benefitting from this effect reduces the bonus by 20% until the bonus expires after 3 casts.
    Voidwalker - All threat generated by you transferred to your Voidwalker for 15 sec.
    Succubus - Shadow Bolt damage increased by 10% for 20 sec.
    Felhunter - Periodic shadow damage increased by 20% for 20 sec.
    Felguard - Spell haste increased by 15% and fire and shadow damage done increased by 10% for 20 sec.
    15% of base mana, 100 yd range, Instant cast, 2 min cooldown

Also summoning an infernal doesn't despawn your pet anymore.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    azith28 wrote: »
    I havent really played for the last 3-4 months, but will be at least getting cata and maxing my main characters level and going through (warlock). However I must say that the changes to the warlock , at least from the perspective of someone just reading about the changes do not seem very profound. I'm dissapointed that they didnt give us a new pet. I love the warlock no matter how high or low they happen to be on the power meter (i dont really pvp) but damn its been like 7 years, if your not going to give us a new pet, then at least let us customize the pet models based on whats already in the game (various elemental types of voidwalkers, imps with clothes, etc).

Demon is actually getting some decent improvements:

Bane of Doom
    20 Banes the target with impending doom, causing 2213.37 Shadow damage every 15 sec. When Bane of Doom deals damage, it has a 20% chance to summon a Demon guardian. Only one target can have Bane of Doom at a time, only one Bane per Warlock can be active on any one target.
    15% of base mana, 40 yd range, Instant cast

Impending Doom
    Increases the chance for your Bane of Doom to summon a demon by [10%/20%/30%] when it deals damage.
    Also grants your Shadow Bolt, Hand of Gul'dan, and Incinerate spells a [5%/10%/15%] chance to reduce the cooldown of your Demon Form by 15 sec.

Basically Curse of Doom now ticks every 15seconds and has a chance to summon a doom guard. And your filler spam spells will reduce the CD on Metamorphosis, so in theory you can meta, Spam a bunch of Shadowbolts, and meta could be off cd 2 minutes early.

Also Soul Shard change.

and

Demon Soul
    85 You and your summoned demon fuse souls, granting the Warlock a temporary power depending on the demon currently enslaved.
    Imp - Critical Strike damage on cast time Destruction spells increased by 60% for 30 sec. Each spell cast benefitting from this effect reduces the bonus by 20% until the bonus expires after 3 casts.
    Voidwalker - All threat generated by you transferred to your Voidwalker for 15 sec.
    Succubus - Shadow Bolt damage increased by 10% for 20 sec.
    Felhunter - Periodic shadow damage increased by 20% for 20 sec.
    Felguard - Spell haste increased by 15% and fire and shadow damage done increased by 10% for 20 sec.
    15% of base mana, 100 yd range, Instant cast, 2 min cooldown

Also summoning an infernal doesn't despawn your pet anymore.

The destro bane is pretty sweet too.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    forty wrote: »
    I assumed everything will be a retarded disaster until Cata hits. Anyone who continues to run ICC will probably have an interesting time.

I expect it to be the worst, most ridiculous mess ever, and I'm loving every thought of it going badly.

I wonder what all the healers are going to do now that their output is gutted, their mana longevity is destroyed, and every not-ARP based spec hits harder than Heroic Lich King.

Not be tiny gods that are invincible unless you can chain interrupt/silence them or have a MS?

What the hell are you and Munkus talking about? Burst is so high in S8 that one lavaburst/conflag combo will drop a warrior through shield wall and full hots.
    Yeah, no idea. Healers haven't been tiny gods for a long time in WotLK. The people who complain about healer invincibility are either playing a class/spec that's terrible vs. healers (and not focusing them with another spec that isn't), trying to fight one solo in a team-based game, playing in 2v2 arena which is retarded no matter which way you slice it, or undergeared.

Case in point:

On my pally if I ever found myself in a position to fight a healer, I was better off just skipping them and going off to another location, or praying that my assistance arrives before his. I've spent 10 minutes trying to kill a tree in Ret, and his mana bar barely moved.

Now let's have someone who plays a melee class post about how overpowered ret is in PvP. Keep the ball rolling!

forty on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wow Demo does sound cool.

I've only really kept on top of Shaman changes, nothing for my alts. Just because the sheer volume of them was overwhelming. Guess I need to read up on warlock/paladin/deathknight stuff.

captaink on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    FightTest wrote: »
    Years later and still annoyed by their downtime information feed. Why didn't they post they were extending the maintenence earlier? They weren't just sitting there at like 4:55 going, "Hmm, well, it's either going to be done in 5 minutes or take two more hours. Not sure. Don't say anything yet."

Always surprised people perpetually give lowball estimates. Tell people 3pm and it's 7pm+ and they're irritated, tell them 8pm to begin with and bring it up at 7pm and they're pleased.

I never understood that myself. I think just telling everyone it's going to be down for 24 hours and then announcing realms are back up at the 18 hour mark is much better than announcing it'll be down for two hours after another two hours, after another two hours.

And now that I think about it, I think the BC->Wrath downtime was something like 22 hours. I remember logging in pretty late in the day, after all was said and done. Most of the guild was on, but it was late and no one wanted to run anything; and most people were just getting their UIs straightened up or doing things here and there in Shattrath.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hey...they fixed Vanish? Or at least your stealth won't break for 3-5 seconds, I guess that doesn't mean the mobs will stop wailing on you.

Lars on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It will fix vanishing in fucking PvP and having arrows in-flight break your shit immediately.

JAEF on
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    All this talk of healers getting buttraped does not bode well for my 79 priest wanting to PvP :(

exis on
  • Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mmmm, Purge.

drunkenpandaren on
    Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think what pisses me off about the downtime is they use the "it WILL be up at approximately XXX" announcement first, THEN move on to just saying "extension is 2 hours, sit tight" afterwards. Like, you have to have SOME idea shit just MIGHT not go right and when you extend a measly 2 hours, there might be a chance its NOT enough and giving assurance it will be the first extension might be a little ambitious?

Just say "when its done" like you do for fucking everything else blizzard. Christ. And I dont even really wanna play that bad today.

Kai_San on
  • Options
    Steel-AngelSteel-Angel Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

An itemized rebuttal, sir:

1. Retribution is one of the worst specs on live, just barely above Holy priests and Fire mages when it comes to PVP viability. It excels at providing defense and support for -other- classes with BOP, freedom, sacred shield, dispels. About the only thing it's usable for solo is stomping on rogues. Just about everything else counters it hardcore thanks to its garbage on-target time and subpar PVP damage.

2. You don't kill tree druids by tunnelvisioning on them. Dispels, hard swaps, stuns and silences absolutely cripple their output. Wait for hots to expire, get a stun, then chain that into a silence and they are so far behind on healing it is over.

Their strengths lie in mana longevity, mobility, and CC. Except those are meaningless next patch since people will die inside one cast.

3. Healers in general are not a problem for viable specs to manhandle on live. Disc priests will go into aneurysms when describing fights against warriors. Healing is probably at its weakest since the travesty of S5 right now. And post-patch healing will be utterly pointless against anyone in decent gear.

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    And they always say it is due to 'unexpected' circumstances but it ALWAYS happens with a major patch. They should definitely build in a buffer in their time estimates.

But I really don't care. If it doesn't come back up tonight I'll just do what I've done the last three months. That is, not play WoW.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, I'm updating the game right now, and... It says I'm behind a firewall. I've got no software firewall running, and I've forwarded all of the ports Blizzard's page says need to be forwarded. What the shit, son?

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Its alright, I get 1-1.5 megs a sec yet it says im behind a firewall (I am not). If that really was the case, I dont think i give a shit.

Kai_San on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Its alright, I get 1-1.5 megs a sec yet it says im behind a firewall (I am not). If that really was the case, I dont think i give a shit.

When I first start it, it seems to run fine, and earlier I was getting 1.2 Down (which is basically the fastest my connection will go), but at the 50% mark or so, it slowed way down. Could just be that There are fewer peers for me to connect to at my current 80%. It's still going at 255k/sec, but I just wish it would finish.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    planetes42planetes42 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    it should be noted -- even once this thing is done downloading, it takes a rather long time to install. Maybe my computer is less than amazing, but still -- I'm pretty sure I passed the hour mark some time ago.

planetes42 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I've heard the same thing from a friend.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yep I was up at 5:30am, had to quickly download the extra patch which finishd about 5:40 and I'm now at 60% at 6:27am.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dammit, should have left my PC running when I left for work this morning.

exis on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I can't decide who is more foolish by expecting playability on an X.0 WoW patch day: Blizzard or the players.

forty on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I background download
    I start the install early
    Yet still still I wait

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I can't decide who is more foolish by expecting playability on an X.0 WoW patch day: Blizzard or the players.

Players.

Blizzard is only foolish for letting the players expect to play.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Running Disk Cleanup and uninstalling Starcraft 2 managed to free up enough space on my harddrive.

So I fired up my downloaded and it downloaded about 80 megs (in addition to the 4.whatever gigs I already had) and then it started installing everything.
    I had heard there was a whole additional gig to download, so does that come after the installation? And if so, does it then have to repeat the entire installation process again? (because that's taking a while)

Fortunately, I plan to watch Venture Bros and random Hulu episodes for the next few hours, so how long it takes isn't too big a deal, just curious as to what I need to expect.

Lars on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't really want to play this morning. I just want to get the patch done so that I don't have to do it tonight when I get home from work.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    I am updating the OP with useful links.

This thread will be jumpin' for a while, so let's do what we can to cut down on clutter.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's 4.7XGB or something to download and install initially.
    Then it's another 1.4GB after that.
    Then there's another that it downloads and installs after that, but it doesn't tell you how much or what it's doing, just that "this process might take a while."

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Dunxco wrote: »
    So, broad question time:

Just saw this.

Biggest piece of advice I can give you is, if you expect to raid, don't start the guild until you have enough people committed and raid ready to join on day 1 of the guild.

If people join the guild as its starting up, with the promise of "raids when we get the numbers" you'll eventually find yourself scraping for anyone you can get, raids will be of poor quality, people will leave and you will fail. Sort out your roster before people leave existing guilds to join yours, be discerning about who you accept, and then begin the guild with the charter and invite everyone who is coming along.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »

Players.

Blizzard is only foolish for letting the players expect to play.
    I suppose, but I have to wonder what's going on at Blizzard such that every time they think, "we'll have this done in ~10 hours" and then are surprised when smoke starts billowing out of a server room and it ends up becoming another all day affair, just like every time they have one of these uberpatches. Hell, half the major patches (X.1, X.2, X.3, etc.) end up taking a long time.

I'm just curious what has made them decide that "this time we've got it right" when it invariably ends up as "Horizontal boosters. Alluvial dampers? Ow! That's not it, bring me the Hydrospanner. I don't know how we're going to get out of this one. OW! Chewie!"

forty on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So what are we looking at for odds that Blizzard will delay again in the next 15 mintues? 3:1? 4:1? Higher? We should be making money off of this.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    SvenSven Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yay delayed just one hour this time.

Sven on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.