As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow; It's out! Mind ye spoilers!

1575859606163»

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Lucascraft, I downloaded Castlevania I, III, and the import Rondo of Blood on my Wii and I have to say that I and III look absolutely amazing compared to trying to get them to work on my NES.

I trust you also got IV unless you are a war criminal.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    I have IV for my SNES, which works fine. So I didn't download it on the VC. I've got 1-3 on my NES as well but getting that thing to work and stay working is a pain in the ass.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhwonPgzaWU

Woah I did not know Order of Ecclesia had a remix of Riddle. brb getting my ass kicked

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    OoE and Circle of the Moon are my favorites in the series, but I'm gonna have to go into VC and give II a second chance, as well as try III and Rondo of Blood and Adventures.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I noticed some whining in the Kotaku review comments about the lack of a true sequel to Symphony of the Night.

So I guess like Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance, Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, and Order of Ecclesia don't count because they don't xxxtreme grafix or something?

Back on subject, does anyone have any advice for swordmasters? Is there a "tell" for when they are going to swoop in and murder you? I know that usually after they evade they will attack but I'm at a loss for when they seem to randomly charge in and stab me before I can mash the trigger button.

Walt on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Walt wrote: »
    I noticed some whining in the Kotaku review comments about the lack of a true sequel to Symphony of the Night.

So I guess like Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance, Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, and Order of Ecclesia don't count because they don't xxxtreme grafix or something?

Back on subject, does anyone have any advice for swordmasters? Is there a "tell" for when they are going to swoop in and murder you? I know that usually after they evade they will attack but I'm at a loss for when they seem to randomly charge in and stab me before I can mash the trigger button.

I just air juggle those fuckers.

Renzo on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fairies.

Just use them on the swordmen and they can't do shit to you.

Failing that, the jump + LT + X punch attack works wonders.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    man i really want to play that castlevania rebirth game something fierce. wish konami would release all three rebirth games on something besides the wii really, because they all look really cool and i dont have a wii.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Renzo wrote: »
    Walt wrote: »

Yeah. The only way I managed to beat the first couple fights against 3 of them was to use a crystal.

Then I realized they're vulnerable to the R2 attack that pulls enemies into the air. :)

gjaustin on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Renzo wrote: »

When I realized that I could air juggle those guys, I was so very, very, happy. And they were not.

Whip a couple times, launch them, whip them some more, and then let them fall to the ground while you charge up a gauntlet smash and then *bam* goodbye.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dear Claudia,

During my Brotherhood of Light training, I was well versed in many different types of skills and lore; one of which was simple mathematics. I assure you, I am more than capable of counting to four. Please, SHUT UP.

Sincerly,
    Gabriel Belmont

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Holy crap!

The metal gear theme tune just started playing!

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Holy crap!

Huh? WHERE????

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Klyka wrote: »
    Holy crap!

Huh? WHERE????

The Refrectory.
    When you drop meat for the ghouls, hookshot into where one of them came from when the wooden door rises. It leads to a very cramped coridoor where Gabriel has to hunch over and run much like a certian other Kojima character. The camera angle is pretty much a birds eye view in this tiny coridoor, much like MGS. The theme tune plays veeeeerrrrryyy quietley for about 5 seconds.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Klyka wrote: »
    Holy crap!

Huh? WHERE????

The Refrectory.
    When you drop meat for the ghouls, hookshot into where one of them came from when the wooden door rises. It leads to a very cramped coridoor where Gabriel has to hunch over and run much like a certian other Kojima character. The camera angle is pretty much a birds eye view in this tiny coridoor, much like MGS. The theme tune plays veeeeerrrrryyy quietley for about 5 seconds.

I read that before and tried it out 2 times with my volume all the way but I just can't hear it!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I noticed that when i went in there for the first time. I couldnt quite place what it was but it sounded like some kinda 8 bit midi music, and i figured it had to do with an older game.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Nope, it was definatley the MGS music, 100% sure. Specifically it's the music played in the origonal trailer for MGS at E3. Damn that made my day. :D

So far, the game is INCREDIBLY slow burning, but when it gets going it's just an engine of awesome in terms of pacing, variety, fights, scenery and bosses. I've not been bored once with this, there is always something new to find/do/see.

EDIT: to clarify, I wasn't bored at the start, just a victim of the 'this isn't castlevania, it's a ripoff of loads of other good games' mindset. Really glad I carried on.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah i think to alot of people the first few chapters are not so much 'bad' (as some have said) but they are a transition period of 'this isnt 2d....this isnt SoTN....okay thats pretty cool....well that was fun...(chapter 3)...okay so now its castlevania'. I didnt have a problem with the first three chapters, I do admit to jokingly calling the combat cross the blades of war at the beginning but it quickly became its own game. I had to stop myself from 'just one more chaptering'.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What a shock. GAF hates this game.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    azith28 wrote: »
    I had to stop myself from 'just one more chaptering'.

This happened to me when I got to the castle, so hard. I started telling myself that and then the next thing I knew, I was at the beginning of chapter 10, it was 3:30am and I had to leave for work in three hours and fifteen minutes.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    By the way, everyone, we're moving to this thread.

SteevL on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    azith28 wrote: »
    I had to stop myself from 'just one more chaptering'.

This happened to me when I got to the castle, so hard. I started telling myself that and then the next thing I knew, I was at the beginning of chapter 10, it was 3:30am and I had to leave for work in three hours and fifteen minutes.

I wish I had the free time this game demands. I can get through maybe a couple levels a day, plus backtracking to a previous level to hunt for upgrades. Stupid work...eating up all my time.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    So I just got the game and have to say I like it well enough so far. Half way through Chapter 2.

It kind of reminds me of God of War except the main chapter isn't a complete douche so that's a plus.

I do have say I hate the fact that the upgrades are missable. Had to redo so many chapters because of that. But just use an FAQ now.

Also, man do area attacks seem useless a lot of the time. Doesn't seem to stagger at all and most of the time enemies will just power through and break my focus.

Edit: My bad wrong thread.

Dragkonias on