As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East Trading Cards 2011 [Checklist Available!]

PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
edited March 2011 in PAX Archive
Update 3/7/2011

Checklist!

Google Doc
PDF

The Google Doc will always be the most up to date, but I will try to keep the PDF pretty close. At this time there will not be any major changes anyway. Red means the card is new this year, and bold means the card is confirmed to exist. The new cards may have a different name than what is on the list. I will be revising the list after PAX, to reflect which cards actually made it to the show.

People will be traveling soon so just watch #paxcards on twitter for additional updates.

Update 3/1/2011

The meet-up will be Sunday at 6:30 PM (after Omegathon ends) in the Westin Hotel lobby. This is happening at the same time and location as the final PAX Pokemon League meet-up, and poke-walker meet-up.

What is this?

The purpose here is to do something like the button swap at PAX East, but different. The idea is that everyone would make one (or more) trading cards in the style of the old Marvel Trading Cards, and then we would trade them! Super-hero based things have been replaced with Arcadian based things. We've made a template but ultimately you can be as creative as you like. Many people took part last year, so we're doing it again!

davefront2011_small.pngdaveback2011_small.png

What if I don't have photoshop or skills of an artist?

Here is all we need from you! You can post here and someone will send you a PM and sort out the details.
Forum Name (for front and back):
Badges:

Coordination (1-20):
Cleverness (1-20):
Endurance (1-20):
Drunkeness (1-20):
Tactics (1-20):
Awesomeness (1-20):

Twitter Handle:
Title:
Hometown:
Favorite Game:
Elemental Weakness:
Notable Achievements(s):
Quote:

646 x 948 300 DPI Image (for front):
262 x 258 300 DPI Image (for back):

How do I get involved?
Step 1: Get Photoshop, Or Find a Volunteer

Obtain a copy of photoshop or commission someone to put the card together for you. Several people have volunteered to help out. Send me a PM and I will route you to one of our volunteers. The front image is 646 x 948 pixels (300 DPI) and the back image is 262 x 258 pixels (300 DPI).

Step 2: Download templates and font

Download the front template, back template, and font. Make sure the font is loaded before you open photoshop.

Template Version 2, Updated 1/26/2011: Front / Back / Font (London Between)

Step 3: Modify text and images on templates

Insert the necessary text and images to the front and back templates.

Step 4: Choose badges

Choose six of the following badges on the front of the card. Do this by activating the group layer (such as Badge 1), then activating the particular layer you want. If you would like a badge that is not listed above, you can create it yourself and I will add it to the template. All of the badges are 100 x 100 pixel .PNG with transparency. If you have an image you would like turned into a badge but lack the tools, send me a PM.
badge_byoc.pngBYOC
badge_cookie.pngCookie Brigade
badge_cosplat.pngCosplay
badge_enforcer.pngEnforcer
badge_fancydinner.pngFancy Dinner
badge_girlsmeetup.pngGirls Meetup
badge_irc.pngIRC
badge_MMTE_2011.pngMagical Mystery Tour
badge_omeganaut.pngOmeganaut
badge_eta.pngPAX East Train Alliance
badge_ppl_challenger.pngPAX Pokemon League Challenger
badge_ppl_leader.pngPAX Pokemon League Leader
badge_paxprime.pngPAX Prime
badge_pokemon_pubcrawl.pngPokemon Pub Crawl
badge_postdinner.pngPost PAX Dinner
badge_predinner.pngPre-PAX Dinner
badge_rookie.pngRookie
badge_scavengerhunt.pngScavenger Hunt
badge_twitter.pngTwitter

Step 5: Choose Attributes

Decide what you would like your stats to be from 1 - 20. Change the "X" to the appropriate numbers on the text layer, then select the associated bar from the image layer. You may roll, arbitrarily decide or use distribute the following template however you like: 20, 17, 14, 11, 10, 8, 3.

Step 6: Choose Card Number

Let me know that you need a number and I will give you the next unused number.

Step 7: Create An Account On jakprints

https://www.jakprints.com/account/entry.php

Step 8: Create an order

First click on the blue Order tab in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Next under "Full Color Printing Orders" click the Place Order button.

You can use the following information as a template.

Name Your Project: Lastname PAX Cards 2011
Promotional Code: PAXEAST11
Product: Postcards
Stock: 12pt Gloss Cardstock (heavy)
Quantity: 100
Finished Size: 2.5 x 3.5 inches
Ink Side One: Full Color (4)
Ink Side Two: Full Color (4)
Proof: No proof (printed as is)
$10 Discount: Your choice
File Prep Instructions: No
Standard Turnaround

Step 9: Upload Image Files

Click on the blue Upload Files button, then the green Upload Files button. You will need to upload the flattened version of your card files.

I received my order one week after I finalized it.

How will I find people to trade with?

Last year people were able to find other "card sharks" by simply placing a card in their badge holder. The forum badge holders are large enough to fix your forum card, your PAX badge and your trading card. We will also be having at least one meetup during PAX.

A printable checklist will be provided about a week before PAX.

You can also watch twitter for people using the #paxcards tag!

Can I help with anything?

- Create "badges" for community events. If you would like a badge that is not listed above, you can create it yourself and I will add it to the template. All of the badges are 100 x 100 pixel .PNG with transparency. If you have an image you would like turned into a badge but lack the tools, send me a PM.

- Volunteer to help create trading cards for people who lack the tools.

What is the deadline?

If you get your order out by February [strike]18[/strike] 28 you'll be fine. If you wait longer than that, you may need to rush the order depending on where you live.

I have another question!

Ask whatever you like in the thread! Someone should be able to answer your question relatively quickly.

Second Original Post
Happy holidays and I apologize for letting this project languish. It has been a very busy season for me. Although we are not late, we are certainly farther behind than I would like to be. I see there being a few approaches to take, so I figured I would throw them out here and see how everyone else feels. Please let me know which approach you prefer (and what you are hoping to do yourself), if there is something I missed, and what you would be willing to contribute.

Approach 1 - We create an entirely new template, everyone makes new cards.
Approach 2 - Series 2011 is an extension of 2010. Old people use last years cards, new people create new cards (and pick up from last years numbers).
Approach 3 - Series 2011 uses the same template, but everyone refreshes their cards (pictures/information). This would mean restarting the numbering sequence, as it is a new series. I would update the template with new icons.

UPDATE 1/4/2011
Based on everyone's feedback here's what I'm thinking right now:

We call this series "PAX East Trading Cards Revised". I will update the template slightly, mostly to add/remove badges. I will also update the checklist.

If you are new: Use the template to create your card. Make sure your card number is not already taken.

If you took part last year, but want to make a new card: You will create a "revised" version of your card. The number will be the same + "R" (So my new card will be 1R). You can change as much or as little of the information and pictures as you like.

If you want to re-use last years cards: Just do it.

Original Post
In an effort to make PAX East stand apart from PAX Prime, last year we switched up trading buttons for trading cards. About 50 people created cards, had fun, made new friends, and indirectly donated $1,000 to Child’s Play.
We will be trading cards again this year, but we have not nailed down the format or design. I would like to spend the next couple weeks brainstorming card ideas. If you have any ideas please share them! This will be a positive thread so please hold criticisms/realistic concerns off for a couple weeks. If we cannot decide on a new format as a community, we will fall back to a format similar to last year with a new design.

For people who really like buttons and really dislike trading cards, you are still welcome to make buttons. We will not be having the discussion of buttons/stickers/trading cards/patches though.

PeasantDave on

• PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Who else is doing it?

Confirmed Participants:
    (images coming soon)
    Archeious
    Archmage
    benswimming
    Bigbrother87
    BigToy_J
    BoomShake
    browncoatbeth
    Buffalo Jack
    bustin98
    chaosisorder
    cherin
    ChronoHawk
    Cloudwalker
    Cookie Brigade
    contrefait
    Czech
    dangergrrl
    Decius
    DoctorX
    Dragon
    DragonKitty
    Durinthal
    emf715
    Emod
    feitocomfruta
    fenny
    FoggyKnight
    gfish
    gilby123
    Heleor
    Holyyakker
    ikelewis
    IkkiVille
    imavapor96
    itzerokewl
    Jimmy Jim
    JobiwanKenobi
    JTails
    Khadour
    kitties_on_acid
    kiwi
    Knuckles056
    King of Mars
    LastRyghtz
    LedaXI
    Loweryi
    LTAcosta
    Neato
    macrogeek
    Magical Mystery Tour
    MagnifiedX
    Malm
    megacia
    Menolly07 (Jane's Flying Monkeys Pittsburgh Gaming Club)
    Moe Fwacky
    Morganstern
    Morganstern's Friend
    MxWood
    Oldmangloom315
    PeasantDave
    PikaPuff
    poisonx
    Poyoh
    psychopez
    punzie
    Rdr
    redfield85
    Rex Beavers
    Schlock
    Sentient6
    skippymchaggis
    slamonella
    Staxeon
    Stephidabefida
    Supervillian
    sykomonkey
    Team Snorlax
    tehnakki
    testsubject23
    Themiscyra
    Tuft
    tvethiopia
    Vaulter85
    VThornheart
    Wingedillidan
    WizMaster
    YeildForNothing
    ZephyrRose
    ZeroHourHero
    zerzhul

Interested Participants:
    AutoKAD
    BigRed
    chaosisorder
    chinhang
    Creamsteak
    Deefuzz
    DreadPirateAmy
    EruditeAphrodite
    Facelesscogg
    flatline
    Frugus
    GalFriday
    Goose!
    heels
    InsanelyZanter
    Jenga!
    karmacappa
    kropotkin
    landerolin
    Librarianofdoom
    megacia
    MelesMeles
    Nendai
    Nullthread
    phej
    phej's misses
    piledriver85
    Reboot153
    rentfn
    revderrick
    reverend_tobias
    RevGutter
    testsubject23
    Sasha
    Shervyn
    Singollo
    SnazzyGent
    sniper_king
    TheTerribleMan
    Tweekinator
    Tweezle120
    valdemiro
    zeroday

PeasantDave on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    I like the old design.

I may be biased because I still have a couple hundred of my cards from last year due to them sending me 200 extra cards.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think those of us who bought in last year can safely just use our leftovers, but for any new faces that want to jump in for the first time this year, there should be an updated design. PAX East trading cards, Series 2

Goose! on
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm not familiar with the buttons - do people always make new buttons for every year? I didn't do cards at the first East, but if I had I'd be bringing the same ones along with me if I had 100+ (or even 50+) leftover. I understand the desire to have a slightly new design - a bunch of you probably have a whole set, or close to it, of last year's offerings - but if I shelled out $30 or $40 (forget what the exact prices were) for 100 cards and only traded 40, I'd be hesitant to splash for 100 more.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
    edited October 2010
    flatline wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with the buttons - do people always make new buttons for every year? I didn't do cards at the first East, but if I had I'd be bringing the same ones along with me if I had 100+ (or even 50+) leftover. I understand the desire to have a slightly new design - a bunch of you probably have a whole set, or close to it, of last year's offerings - but if I shelled out $30 or $40 (forget what the exact prices were) for 100 cards and only traded 40, I'd be hesitant to splash for 100 more.

Traditionally people make a new design (or two) every year. That said, no one is pressuring anyone to make new cards.

PeasantDave on
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm going to be one of the new people participating in the cards - a new design and a new set of icons would be nice to see. :)

[I'm getting a Pax Pokemon League icon made for when the post actually gets going. :)]

Heleor on
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I probably have 30-40 cards leftover but I'm still going to have new ones made up for this year with the design. Plus these have a cherry on it and I'm not a PAX virgin anymore.

I'll still bring the old ones if people are interested is trying to complete the set or whatever.

I also want to get icons made for HGtPE and the Scavenger Hunt.

My idea for this year are half sized icons so we can do two rows 5 across. I think it was 5 across before. If we stick with the same size then I'll still probably do that on my card.

Rdr on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This sounds cool.

We should call the new set something silly, like how WotC always does.

PAX East Series 2: Arabian Nights.

Bucketman on
  • bushnrvnbushnrvn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bucketman wrote: »

i lol'd.

bushnrvn on
    PAX Prime 2013 checklist: 4 Day Pass [X] Accommodations [X] Travel [ ] Time Off [X]
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I liked the design from last year, so I say keep it. Though I would suggest that the template is easy to customize. Could we maybe post examples from last year to show what they looked like?

Also in regards to cards and card games and stuff, I kinda want to make up a version of PIT that is PAX related. I just don't know what the commodities would be, and what the bear and the bull would be.

feitocomfruta on
  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I still have a few hundred cards from last year and I was just planning on reusing them, and while I do like the design format from last year, I think an update would be in order. I still have the templates from last year and I may do a little messing around with them (note to self: reinstall photoshop), to see if any new ideas popped into my head.

I do like the idea of something like WotC does, maybe we consider last years cards "Alpha" and now we could do something like a small symbol on the card to designate it being from another year...thoughts?

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
    edited October 2010
    I'm at work so I can't do super linking, but there should be examples of last year at the link at the top.

I love the thought of a ridiculous name for the set.

I think the original template says series 1 on the bottom left of the back.

PeasantDave on
    edited October 2010
    Here is Dave's front/back from PAX East 2010

davefront2010e_small.pngdaveback2010e_small.png

Rdr on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    HRMMMMMM

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    edited October 2010
    Maybe cards that are made for events or happenings can be grey or some other color rather than red?

I think a Cookie Brigade card was made and I am gonna make some for my guide and the scavenger hunt.

They might need a more freeform back too cause stats might not apply. Maybe just a make the white back cover up the avatar/stats and people can put whatever in there about the event/etc?

Rdr on
  • zerodayzeroday Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    Bucketman wrote: »
    This sounds cool.

We should call the new set something silly, like how WotC always does.

haha I like this, a MTG parody, paxeast 2011 on the back and the artwork, flavor text on the front. Now this has me thinking of the MGT Cracked series they released back in '98/'99

zeroday on
    edited October 2010
    @zeroday...wow I remember cracked...that was an awesome set!

Maybe something like "PAX East Series 2: The great migration" and we could use some Oregon trail type logo on the front of the card :)

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • FacelesscogFacelesscog Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    PAX East Series 2: Gameswalkers

Also, I'm in the same boat as Rdr. I have some cards left over, but I'll definitely be making a new set. Not only can I remove the Cherry now, but I need to update my picture to show off my awesome cyber legs! (once I get 'em)

Facelesscog on
  • KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I, too, will be participating again. I still have LOTS left over from last year (didn't make the meet-up, so I missed out on a lot of the trading), but will be making a new set this year to get rid of the cherry icon, and add a few others.

I think any changes that are made should keep an eye to the future - PAX East looks to have strong legs, and if we're changing anything, it should be able to extend to consistently changing the same things over the next X years . . .

Khadour on
    Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• rentfnrentfn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sounds like fun, I would also like to join in and make new cards.

PAX East Series 2 - Ice Age (maybe it will be cold this time in Boston)

rentfn on
  • contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    BigRed wrote: »
    HRMMMMMM

Trying to figure out some way to troll this community event too? Might I suggest a 5x7 card?

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Like those giant checks?

Heleor on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    contrefait wrote: »
    BigRed wrote: »
    HRMMMMMM

Trying to figure out some way to troll this community event too? Might I suggest a 5x7 card?

im thinking more full page sized

But I like buttons way more so I might just stick with that.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I had an idea for a slight redesign for the front of the card and did a quick and dirty mockup:

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/8017/davefront2011.png

Linked for huge

A few notes:
    The border white space will not nearly be as big when you get the final card in your hand (there's a template in the psd that indicates where the cut occurs, etc.)
    The font for the name is just a placeholder to get the idea out there
    I haven't worked on a back yet, was thinking of something horizontal (like a baseball card)

Let me know what you think

Goose! on
    edited October 2010
    For the design, I was thinking it might be interesting to go all in on Magic: The Gathering. The "back" could look like a normal magic card, with made up abilities, cost, and flavor text. The "front" would have the similar border to a magic card, but have the larger picture, name, and badges.

PAX East Trading Cards Series 2: Arcadian Nights?

PeasantDave on
    edited October 2010
    For the design, I was thinking it might be interesting to go all in on Magic: The Gathering. The "back" could look like a normal magic card, with made up abilities, cost, and flavor text. The "front" would have the similar border to a magic card, but have the larger picture, name, and badges.

PAX East Trading Cards Series 2: Arcadian Nights?

Only if Series 3 is Wangtiquities....

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • Vaulter85Vaulter85 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I have about 70 card still at least. I don't know if I will make new ones this year, trying to cut costs so I can afford the trip.

Vaulter85 on
    Team Charmander Brofessional
  • jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hi,

I didn't not go to the pre-pax dinner or meet/greet last year, but I will be this year. These cards ideas sound fun. Can someone please fill me in on the specifics? For example, do we print them ourselves or pay someone to do it? Do we edit the cards ourselves, etc? I was kind of a wallflower last year, I didn't meet many people, but I want that to change this year.

jdixon1972 on
    edited October 2010
    jdixon1972 wrote: »
    Hi,

I didn't not go to the pre-pax dinner or meet/greet last year, but I will be this year. These cards ideas sound fun. Can someone please fill me in on the specifics? For example, do we print them ourselves or pay someone to do it? Do we edit the cards ourselves, etc? I was kind of a wallflower last year, I didn't meet many people, but I want that to change this year.

When the series 2 design is finalized there will be .psd files for the front and back to edit the cards in Photoshop. Its very easy even if you have minor PS experience. However we had a few people doing it for people who don't have PS.

We used Jakprints with a discount code and that'll came later. It wasn't too expensive. Don't remember but I wanna say $25-$30 for like 100?

Rdr on
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, it was pretty cheap and most people while they ordered 100 they got WAY more (myself included in that group, I ordered 200 and got 300+)

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think we also need to make sure that the new Forum Logo ends up on there somewhere. Perhaps (analogy time!), MtG:WotC::PE Trading Cards:PAX Forum?

feitocomfruta on
  • revderrickrevderrick Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    I only collected a Cookie Brigade card last year, as I didn't get on the forums until now, but I'd like to contribute this year. I think a slightly modified template would be a good idea, to be able to differentiate from last years cards at a glance.

revderrick on
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    it might be nice to tweak the cards by adding a designated area for contact info. a lot of people have talked about using business cards to swap contact information and i like the idea, but i'd rather combine it with the trading card than carry two stacks of cards around.

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
    edited October 2010
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    it might be nice to tweak the cards by adding a designated area for contact info. a lot of people have talked about using business cards to swap contact information and i like the idea, but i'd rather combine it with the trading card than carry two stacks of cards around.

There's a large blank area on the back of the card that takes up a good 60%. You could put anything you want in that area.

Rdr on
    edited October 2010
    Do most of the people here like the pseudo Magic:The Gathering theme? It wouldn't be a playable card (because we use the front and back), but it would be immediately recognizable to almost anyone. It seems to be the front-runner, but I don't want to stomp out any other strong ideas.

PeasantDave on
    edited October 2010
    I kind of like the MtG idea myself. I know for a fact I'm not going to be creating new cards for myself this year, but I'll go on and throw in my hat to help out any way I can in creating the new card and then helping ppl create their own cards.

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
    edited October 2010
    I think you're going to run into people who don't like whatever you do, Dave. A lot of people have a lot of cards left over, so they would probably prefer to just use those. Then you run into the problem of incorporating us new people into the existing set, while not everyone from last year will be there or have their cards.

I would like the option, I guess, of letting people re-use their cards, but also having a new format for the Series 2 cards. I'm not sure how I feel about a Magic-y card that uses the front and back, but once I see a proof of concept or something I could feel a little better.

One thing in our favor is, it seems like Jakprints is on board with giving everyone a good price out of the gate - unlike last year when only the latecomers got the discounts.

flatline on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I really like the MtG idea... when I made that MtG button for the Cookie Brigade at PAX '09, it was a big hit (too big, they didn't last very long! =) ) I think people really like it.

And if you did want to play a game with it, you could totally bring sleeves with an opaque backing and build decks with them!

EDIT: Also, in regards to people wanting to use last year's supply... I don't see why that'd be a problem personally. There's no harm in it. But those who want to make new cards could do so with the new format, and everyone's happy. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    edited October 2010
    I don't like the MTG idea, but then I was never super into Magic, just only casually into it.

Goose! on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the MTG idea either. I like the style/format of last year's card. I'd prefer to see an updated version along that theme.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png