As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MMA X: Captain Guillotine: Fear the man who has practiced one choke 10,000 times

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    woo congrats

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm back, bitches. Being banned for two whole weeks sucks, let me tell you.

But I come bearing gifts. When I get home from work today, I'll post some pictures from my first NAGA tournament from a week and a half ago.

Hint: I won some medals.

Well done!

I don't mind the people utilizing the cage in fights, it is part of the situation, just like the rope-a-dope or any other strategy in warfare. As long as they aren't grabbing the cage wall walking or whatever is fine to me. It also gives a hard barrier for runing away and the shape of the cage (ie being an octagon instead of a square) doesn't allow for being really trapped in a 90 degree corner

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I vastly prefer a cage to a ring for combat sports that include grappling. For kickboxing or regular boxing, a ring is ok to me because you're not going to have any issues with guys getting caught up in the ropes while grappling on the ground, which is the thing I take the most issue with. Anything that can slow down the action of an MMA fight that can be eliminated without endangering fighters is something that should be done away with.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I mostly prefer a cage to a ring, but I do find it annoying just how useful it is as a tool in the fight. So much of MMA is dealing with the, its rather artificial for a combat sport.

I like to see things get mixed up. Rings some of the time. I've also seen rings with more than 4 corners, which is interesting. I think sometimes doing MMA on flat mats with penalties for going out of the boundries would be good as well. Comes with its own problems, but the style of fighting you would be totally different. I personally find the most boring part of the MMA game is the standing clinch aspect, especially when up against the cage.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
    edited October 2010
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    I mostly prefer a cage to a ring, but I do find it annoying just how useful it is as a tool in the fight. So much of MMA is dealing with the, its rather artificial for a combat sport.

I like to see things get mixed up. Rings some of the time. I've also seen rings with more than 4 corners, which is interesting. I think sometimes doing MMA on flat mats with penalties for going out of the boundries would be good as well. Comes with its own problems, but the style of fighting you would be totally different. I personally find the most boring part of the MMA game is the standing clinch aspect, especially when up against the cage.

See I want there to be an artificial barrier because I want to see fighting. It's like the difference in the WEC cage and the UFC cage. I know that the smaller cage is for smaller fighters but still if there is less area to run away to the more action you're probably going to see.

As for a flat mat MMA fighting area, the referees can barely keep control of the octagon imagine how many problems there would be? "He stepped out of bounds" "No I didn't!" having a ref be responsible for not only what they are responsible now but also for out of bounds penalties? That would cause some major problems.

Metal Jared on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I wonder if a hybrid would work. At the top you'd have ropes like a ring, which would give less advantage on takedowns and wall-walking. It should produce less grabbing onto than a cage, simply because there's less rope than cage. At the bottom you'd have a cage, which would prevent guys on the ground from getting all caught up in the ropes and having to be restarted.

BubbaT on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm on board as long as the height of the ropes allows the possibility of someone being punched out of the ringcage.

adytum on
    edited October 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    I'm on board as long as the height of the ropes allows the possibility of someone being punched out of the ringcage.

That is the only thing I like about the ring:

SilvawatchesRampagefallthruropes.jpg

How about some force field that allows unconscious people to fall through it but not conscious people? Let's get on that science!!

Metal Jared on
    edited October 2010
    I was google image searching to include that image then decided against it at the last second.

:^:

adytum on
  • ForumiteForumite Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    That is one of the most brutal knockouts between two MMA stars ever. Rampage ate so much punishment (so many knees!) and when he fell through the ropes you see blood just pouring out of his face while he's unconcious while Wandy celebrated in the ring with bloodstained knees.
    it was awesome

Forumite on
    33tp6w6.gif
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh hey, UFC 120 is free on Saturday night. Totally forgot about this one. There's not a huge name on the card but it looks pretty solid to me and Hardy/Condit could be a barn-burner.

Peen on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm interested in seeing how Hathaway performs. He was very very impressive against Diego Sanchez

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited October 2010
    For those that haven't been eliminated, don't forget to make your PAFCR2 picks!

adytum on
    edited October 2010
    Specifically,

Barbatus, Spectrum, B:L, Snarfmaster, MayGodHaveMercy, A Half Eaten Oreo, and facetious!

adytum on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh shit I totally forgot there are fights this weekend. Jesus.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
    edited October 2010
    LOLDana
    Dana White wrote:
    I don't how [GSP] doesn't have every blue chip sponsor in Canada. I had this debate the other day, this is the most popular athete to ever come out of Canada. Ever!

Some guy started to argue with me about Gretzky and all these others ... do people care about Gretzky when he shows up in the Philippines or the U.K. or all the other countries?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Dana-White-says-GSP-is-most-popular-athete-in-hi?urn=mma-276722

Also, wtf at the reporter asking if Kos was "racist" against the French?

BubbaT on
    edited October 2010

See I want there to be an artificial barrier because I want to see fighting. It's like the difference in the WEC cage and the UFC cage. I know that the smaller cage is for smaller fighters but still if there is less area to run away to the more action you're probably going to see.

As for a flat mat MMA fighting area, the referees can barely keep control of the octagon imagine how many problems there would be? "He stepped out of bounds" "No I didn't!" having a ref be responsible for not only what they are responsible now but also for out of bounds penalties? That would cause some major problems.

The open mat is used in combat sambo, which is basically MMA in that it includes striking, takedowns and grappling. They get along fine.

I know there would be problems, I'm just more in favour of variety. Having fights only take place in a cage or a ring or whatever encourages a certain skill-set to prevail. MMA in my mind should be as open as possible, and a variety of fighting environments can allow for a more diverse skill set to be successful.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    LOLDana
    Dana White wrote:
    I don't how [GSP] doesn't have every blue chip sponsor in Canada. I had this debate the other day, this is the most popular athete to ever come out of Canada. Ever!

Some guy started to argue with me about Gretzky and all these others ... do people care about Gretzky when he shows up in the Philippines or the U.K. or all the other countries?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Dana-White-says-GSP-is-most-popular-athete-in-hi?urn=mma-276722

On the Ultimate Fighter he said something about not wanting to lose "especially to some French bastard"...something along those lines.

Cabezone on
    edited October 2010
    I think MMA in a mud pit would really change the grappling dynamic.

adytum on
    edited October 2010
    Psh. The future is clearly MMA in space.

No Rules...No Mercy...No Gravity.

Peen on
    edited October 2010
    Peen wrote: »

Wait, why can't I go?

MayGodHaveMercy on
    edited October 2010

There are some grappling competitions held on sandy beaches.

Which, while interesting, sounds rather unpleasant to me. I was wrastling with a friend of mine while we were drunkenly playing on a playground a while back. Sand is so bloody abrasive though. While his hand was in my face I got a huge cut across my nose from a small pebble that must have been stuck to his hand. Sand gets fucking everywhere, in your eyes, ears, mouth, nose, clothes. I can't say I recommend it, grass would be a lot better.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Grappling competitions on the beach sounds like someone watched women's beach volleyball and took the wrong lesson away from it.

adytum on
    edited October 2010

There are some grappling competitions held on sandy beaches.

Which, while interesting, sounds rather unpleasant to me. I was wrastling with a friend of mine while we were drunkenly playing on a playground a while back. Sand is so bloody abrasive though. While his hand was in my face I got a huge cut across my nose from a small pebble that must have been stuck to his hand. Sand gets fucking everywhere, in your eyes, ears, mouth, nose, clothes. I can't say I recommend it, grass would be a lot better.

God, that sounds miserable. I don't know that grass sounds a lot better. The after effects of rolling around in the grass for 15 minutes sound mighty unpleasant.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    edited October 2010
    Cabezone wrote: »
    LOLDana
    Dana White wrote:

On the Ultimate Fighter he said something about not wanting to lose "especially to some French bastard"...something along those lines.

I still don't see the "racism" part, unless French people have recently become a race. Also, the reporter must have slept through the last TUF, when the whole gym was cracking on the French guy who was going to "prove the French aren't quitters" before... quitting mid-fight.

BubbaT on
    edited October 2010
    LOLDana
    Dana White wrote:

MMA quality reporters right there

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited October 2010
    France is the worst race. I am totally racist against frenchmen

oh god my brain

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited October 2010
    The state of both MMA writing and reporting makes me cry. The UFC could pay me 75k a year to do all of the crappy articles that come out on their site and they'd be 100% better. I know it takes a while for sports to attract real journalistic talent but jeesh.

Peen on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The state of both MMA writing and reporting makes me cry. The UFC could pay me 75k a year to do all of the crappy articles that come out on their site and they'd be 100% better. I know it takes a while for sports to attract real journalistic talent but jeesh.
    Why pay you when they can pay Yahoo to rig their articles?

Seems like they already did anyways.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited October 2010
    Ugh. They could split my salary with Yahoo and I'd write for them both and know what racist actually means!

Peen on
    edited October 2010

Outside of Helwani, I can't think of any MMA reporter I care to listen to or read what they wrote (Seanbaby's not a reporter).

BubbaT on
    edited October 2010
    Apparently Sherdog and uh, EA are creating a reality show:

http://easportsmma.sherdog.com/

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited October 2010

We have a new thread title!

MMA X: The future of MMA? Space. No Rules...No Mercy...No Gravity

Metal Jared on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Apparently Sherdog and uh, EA are creating a reality show:

http://easportsmma.sherdog.com/
    Wow, this could be interesting.

More of a personal "apprentice" style training camp for these guys rather than tossing them through a Koscheck-style grinder.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited October 2010
    As promised earlier in the day, here are some pictures from my NAGA tournament back on October 2nd.

This is the beginning of the first match. As I had zero wrestling ability at the time, all of my fights started like this (I'm on bottom). After that, we would go to the ground with them still on my back and I would rotate and end up in their guard. Literally. I fought 4 times that day and every single fight went the exact same.
    66224_604802339668_56708142_34251982_6697385_n.jpg

But it didn't really matter how the fight started, because this is how it ended (I got side control and finished the choke after the picture was taken, but I don't have a picture of that, sadly):
    64849_604802499348_56708142_34251993_7452986_n.jpg

In my No-gi division (Heavyweight), there was only me and 2 other guys. Here's the second guy that I beat for my gold. I didn't submit him like the other guy, but it was still pretty dominating:
    33596_604802549248_56708142_34251996_6778296_n.jpg

I know I don't look very happy to have won, but I really was:
    66038_604802848648_56708142_34252016_7906921_n.jpg

I decided to celebrate by taking stupid pictures:
    67030_604802863618_56708142_34252017_6907952_n.jpg

69298_605199997758_56704575_34263685_3754507_n.jpg

The gi portion of the tournament was a little different. I got 3rd after losing to the guy who eventually won the gold and after beating the same guy I beat in No-gi for my gold in that division. Got it? :D
    63355_603995351878_56700883_34234507_4786219_n.jpg

Medals:
    65966_604803317708_56708142_34252044_1418842_n.jpg

BONUS.

Celebrating with my lady :D:
    37962_605200247258_56704575_34263704_8257044_n.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed my grappling picture extravaganza.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hell yes!

We're all proud of you ChillyWilly.

By the way, what did you get banned for? Racist comments against french people?

Dangerbird on
    edited October 2010
    :^:

Now you're making me want to do it.

adytum on
    edited October 2010
    Funny story

My dad told my wife I used to wrestle

Now she's demanding to see pictures of me in my singlet

adytum on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    since chilly is in jail (presumably for killing an opponent at said tournament) here is the post again with pictures visible :)
    As promised earlier in the day, here are some pictures from my NAGA tournament back on October 2nd.

This is the beginning of the first match. As I had zero wrestling ability at the time, all of my fights started like this (I'm on bottom). After that, we would go to the ground with them still on my back and I would rotate and end up in their guard. Literally. I fought 4 times that day and every single fight went the exact same.
    66224_604802339668_56708142_34251982_6697385_n.jpg

But it didn't really matter how the fight started, because this is how it ended (I got side control and finished the choke after the picture was taken, but I don't have a picture of that, sadly):
    64849_604802499348_56708142_34251993_7452986_n.jpg

In my No-gi division (Heavyweight), there was only me and 2 other guys. Here's the second guy that I beat for my gold. I didn't submit him like the other guy, but it was still pretty dominating:
    33596_604802549248_56708142_34251996_6778296_n.jpg

I know I don't look very happy to have won, but I really was:
    66038_604802848648_56708142_34252016_7906921_n.jpg

I decided to celebrate by taking stupid pictures:
    67030_604802863618_56708142_34252017_6907952_n.jpg

69298_605199997758_56704575_34263685_3754507_n.jpg

The gi portion of the tournament was a little different. I got 3rd after losing to the guy who eventually won the gold and after beating the same guy I beat in No-gi for my gold in that division. Got it? :D
    63355_603995351878_56700883_34234507_4786219_n.jpg

Medals:
    65966_604803317708_56708142_34252044_1418842_n.jpg

BONUS.

Celebrating with my lady :D:
    37962_605200247258_56704575_34263704_8257044_n.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed my grappling picture extravaganza.

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited October 2010
    Dangerbird wrote: »
    Hell yes!

We're all proud of you ChillyWilly.

By the way, what did you get banned for? Racist comments against french people?

Is B:L a race unto himself?

Then yes. Racist comments. :P

ChillyWilly on