As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV] The Fantasy Finally Begins! (Go to Wutai.)

1565758596062»

• Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    a puddle wrote: »
    I think Topia/Indie's problem is less people who play the game who want to express their complaints and more people who either quit or don't own the game coming into the thread to tell people who are playing how terrible the game is, and why they're all crazy for playing it. This thread isn't for interventions.

This is what we're talking about.

I really don't know how you can't get this. We aren't telling people they can't voice complaints about the game.

We're saying:

1) We already know. If you want to complain about it then do it. We understand. Do it, but get on with it.

2) If you're just here to tell us how bad the game is and how we shouldn't play it and don't want to actually contribute to a legitimate discussion about the experience of FFXIV then get the fuck out hurf durf blurf.

ding ding ding. you guys are just way more elegant than I am. I post with passion

Topia on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Lol, ok ok, I get it. I'll back off.

(for now)

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    GameTrailers kind of blasted this game. I played the beta for all of ten minutes before it wrecked my nvidia card (this is a brand new laptop, quad core). I absolutely loved FFXI with all my heart. Is it worth buying this game, and will there be a fix for all the laptop nVidia cards? It's 2010, I don't need to buy a desktop to play an mmo.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    Silent TristeroSilent Tristero Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    GameTrailers kind of blasted this game. I played the beta for all of ten minutes before it wrecked my nvidia card (this is a brand new laptop, quad core). I absolutely loved FFXI with all my heart. Is it worth buying this game, and will there be a fix for all the laptop nVidia cards? It's 2010, I don't need to buy a desktop to play an mmo.

I believe you'd have to further define the terms 'wrecked' and 'NVidia Card', as well as the sort of settings you ran it on.

The purpose of the visuals was to be somewhat future-proof, so a good quality GPU is necessary.

Silent Tristero on
  • Options
    TreTre Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

This game only looks like XI (HD). It plays completely differently. At the moment, there are numerous frustrating things about the game that have been reiterated in this thread. If these issues are things you can largely look past, and you have faith in SE in fixing them, then give it a shot. There is definitely fun to be had, but the game is rough around the edges to say the least. Try asking around for a buddy pass code and you get a 30 day trial I think.

Haven't heard of a problem that specifically affects laptop nVidia cards. While this game can definitely be played on laptops, it's a very demanding game graphically. Even people with top of the line desktops have trouble running this game nicely on max settings.

Tre on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So is the market ward patch coming on Friday or what?

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Not sure. They did mention last week that the changes would be coming in the patch this week. But not sure if that specific patch is the maintenance on the 15th or not.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    a puddlea puddle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

That's the current internets rumors.

a puddle on
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

The gametrailers video was completely accurate. If the stuff that was brought up in that review didn't put you off then go for it. But make no mistake, it very much is as bad as that review and others make it out to be.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's also good to note that the user review, from people who played the game much more, gave it an 8.3. Big reviewers give a very objective opinion.

I'm also going to mention that no, the GT review is not completely accurate. They complain about jumping. Who the fuck cares. There are still lots of RPG's that you can't jump in. Maybe not MMO, but it's pretty clear that SE goes for the "single-player RPG feel in an MMO environment" (whether thats good or bad is opinion), and they complain about invisible walls. Again, every fucking game ever.

And they complain about bugs. REALLY!? Fucking bugs? Of course there are bugs, it's not even a month-released. Give me a fucking break.

They make a LOT of good points. But to be completely accurate is bullshit. They seems to have scraped to find as many reason to make the game sound bad as every person who just plain doesn't like the game.

I'm sure the crafters cringed when he said synthesis relies on "blind luck, more often than not", also.

And more. As we discussed in this (maybe the last?) thread, they complain about "re-used building blocks." Again, every. Single. Game. Ever.

Topia on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2010
    And this thread ends on a terrible string. How about we all try a little harder on the next one.

A duck! on
This discussion has been closed.